Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sightseers - 12/11/2012 11:07:38 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hmm - 12/11/2012 11:07:38 AM   
guysalisbury

I seem to be the only person on the planet who didn't like Kill List but I'll defo give this a go. Looks pretty funny.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Hmm - 12/11/2012 9:17:42 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Glad it got a good review, deserves it. My review is here:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3524457

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 3
RE: Hmm - 27/11/2012 1:16:39 AM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: guysalisbury

I seem to be the only person on the planet who didn't like Kill List but I'll defo give this a go. Looks pretty funny.

Kill List is one of the worst movies I've seen in the last few years.

Kim Newman liking something is a pretty useful barometer of what to avoid these days. Inversely, if he doesn't like something then it's probably the dog's bollocks, for example The Book of Eli.

It's like turning an aerial upside down to get the best signal, or something.

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

Post #: 4
- 28/11/2012 3:20:09 AM   
hellsfoxes

so excited for this... more than The Hobbit. The trailer was incredible

Post #: 5
RE: Hmm - 30/11/2012 9:29:46 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

Kill List is one of the worst movies I've seen in the last few years.

Then put simply, you need to watch more films.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

Kim Newman liking something is a pretty useful barometer of what to avoid these days. Inversely, if he doesn't like something then it's probably the dog's bollocks, for example The Book of Eli.

Ironically, I thought the Book Of Eli was rubbish too.

As for this, I thought it was terrific.

Equally as unsettling as Kill List, but tonally completely different (it's very funny - although you'll need to share its extremely dark sense of humour in order to find yourself chuckling). It has a pleasingly honest portrayal of how the dynamics of a relationship in its infancy can operate (all being with a heightened serial killer angle), specifically regarding our eagerness to please our other half. All of which is set amongst a bang-on-the-money depiction of the frequently dreary British countryside holiday experience & all the little absurdities it conjures. You may also recognize some of the portrayals of obnoxious / self-righteous people in Britain our two protagonists encounter (as well as the odd perfectly innocent one), which in a twisted way, makes Chris & Tina's murderous antics strangely satisfying.

Definitely up there with my films of the year. I'm certainly struggling to think of better one to originate from Britain in 2012.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 6
Yuk!!! - 2/12/2012 7:46:11 PM   
Nefruaten

I don't know what was worse - the fact I didn't like this film or the fact that the cinema I saw it in had no heating and it was freezing, sitting in a cold cinema for nearly 2 hours watching two of the most unlikeable protagonists killing people that annoyed them. I wouldn't mind so much if I actually had some sympathy towards either of them - but I didn't! I felt nothing for them and I just wanted both to die an eve worse death than their victims. There's only so many poo jokes that make me laugh, there are only so many stereotypical characters that one movie should have. Instead of rooting for them I wanted to kill them - thus ending the film quickly and allowing me to go into the warmer cinema next door to watch a decent film!!!

Post #: 7
RE: Sightseers - 3/12/2012 10:14:09 AM   
ChudMonkey

Saw this last night along with The Hunt - loved both but Sightseers is the standout....and, having slept on it...this gets 10 out of 10 and just edges out Shame as my film of the year...I honestly thought this was going to be Wheatley's 'A Life Less Ordinary' an admirable film but a disappointment in relation to its two predecessors.....turns out he's skipped straight to his 'Sunshine' and gone and made himself a masterpiece....

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 8
RE: Sightseers - 6/12/2012 2:15:44 AM   
demoncleaner

I thought it was at best pretty decent, at worst, I thought it was OK. Once again, the smug self-satisfied QFT audience seek to marr a perfectly good film with over-appreciative gut laughing at a film I would happily grin the whole way through. These beardy middle-class bastards have obviously hired a baby-sitter and gone to semi-significant lenghts to be out watching a film, and by God are they loathe to waste an opportunity to tell a room full of strangers that they are capable of getting a joke. I feel like standing up in the middle of the screening and yell "would you fucking laugh like that on your own, in your front room, on your fucking own...which...on the basis of this viewing is the way you should spend your fucking life?!" Their vocalised insights into an encyclopedic experience of humour was strangely dedicated to "if the vans a rockin'" jokes..... oh, how they made everyone else know how they could have (and did) laugh. Cunts. Strangely muted and throughly brilliant lines of idiot reflection "it's just that everyone else seems to find expressing themselves so easy... like you, with your knitting" went unregistered.

Anyhoo... the film. There wasn't much of the now trademark Ben Wheatley originality in this. There's a micro-budget and seismic tonal shifts which are tropes we can now assume are trademark Wheatley. But with recourse to random acts of non-plussed butchery we have a gimmick, and it's a gimmick that is pulled out every now and again to spice things up when the whole thing is flagging. And yes, this is where I talk about Nuts in May.

The shadow on the lung of Sightseers is Nuts in May. (And we know, there's creative accident here*, without prior knowledge or fore-thought... and we know that...but at the same time, fuck you, I want to talk about Nuts in May!)

With Nuts you have a fascinating array of observance, of people that you see everyday, overhear in bus stations,...and, Mike Leigh gets you intimate, from a safe distance mind you, with these humble middle-aged misfits who are sooooo ordinary British, but so distanced (thank fuck) from the reality that keeps most of us sane. The idea of Sightseers; we are so distanced from of clear insanity) makes this slightly less interesting, and more truthfully, gimmicky. Nuts in May is an hour-plus we spend (intimately) with that irritating couple who stole hours of hard-won sleep from Victor and Margaret Meldrew, who came round their house and kept them awake with interminable slides of their time at the marble arch caves of blah-blah-blah. Sightseers, however humble and micro-budget it is, is essentially high concept Natural Born Pot-holers. And you could argue that Down Terrace was high-concept (council house gangland) and Kill List was high concept (one broad genre hidden in another broad genre... Angel Heart did this and literally embodied this concept) but both those films were unrecognisable to an audience and that's what made them compelling (at best) or interesting (at the very worst). Sightseers, for me lacks that unique Ben Wheatley originality (unique originality? But demoncleaner, that's a tautology surely? Shut up you know what I mean!). What I mean is that Sightseers is recognisable to an audience, where Wheatley's first 2 aren't...once you know any third party can be randomly snuffed, then randomness can be expected.

But yes there are some great moments...the disposal of Martin I thought was fantastic. Once you see it, you see how literally, physically, disposable that situation was, and yet you don't anticipate it, and the dead-pan line afterward was icing on the cake, cap on the eruption,and so on and so forth.

The other thing to mention is that for the first time we get a glimpse of Ben Wheatley's visual eye...you know, that beautific Terence Malick, Herzog twilight hour beauty, and I don't know if he pre-plans an edit, but we do see some truly beautiful sequences here with a precision in swift cross-cutting. Sadly though, you can relegate these very pleasing accomplishments into terms best compared to a Badly Drawn Boy music video.

3/5

It's only the 3rd film but Ben has cut quite a dash that fans already want to talk about him in canon terms. For this fan I'd rather he get back to creeping us out with with behavior in "normal" set-ups,rather than having us knowingly patronise the behavior of "creepy people". But you know...Ben's charm is a humble, prolific and off-the-cut nature of producing films. Like Woody Allen, it's really difficult to take issue with one, there's no deal-breakers as such, it's all expression and wry experimentation. I really would have enjoyed this more watching it at home. It's those QFT middle-class bastards of open-enjoyment that have made me more analytic (at best) pissy (at worst) about this one

*Famously, Terry Gilliam had never read, or watched an adaptation of Orwell's 1984 when he made Brazil**.

**And that's probably why Brazil's..... SHITE! Don't get me wrong, sometimes that quixotic spill into unregulated creativity makes great things, and sometimes it make Brazil....which is SHITE!!!!

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 6/12/2012 2:40:36 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Sightseers - 6/12/2012 9:08:56 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

The shadow on the lung of Sightseers is Nuts in May. (And we know, there's creative accident here*, without prior knowledge or fore-thought... and we know that...but at the same time, fuck you, I want to talk about Nuts in May!)

I knew it, I just knew it. It's the Black Swan / Red Shoes scenario all over again.

quote:

**And that's probably why Brazil's..... SHITE! Don't get me wrong, sometimes that quixotic spill into unregulated creativity makes great things, and sometimes it make Brazil....which is SHITE!!!!

Ah come on....

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 6/12/2012 9:09:21 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 10
RE: Sightseers - 6/12/2012 2:22:48 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Ah come on....

I'm tempted to go back and delete that comment as I'm pretty sure that in a sober state I nurture no strong feelings one way or the other about Brazil.    Let' just say that after sitting through the film it in no way made me want to visit the country, and for me, it failed terribly on that singular front.   

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 11
Really? - 20/12/2012 3:09:56 PM   
AC1993

I really thought this film was awful. Considering it's meant to be a comedy, I sat through the entire thing scowling at the screen wishing it would hurry up and end. The pacing is pretty bad (it constantly drags), the jokes just weren't funny, the characters were all completely unlikable... This really is the worst film I've seen this year.

Post #: 12
- 31/12/2012 12:16:41 AM   
danfacey711

This film had a lot to live up to after Kill List and though I personally didn't find it as good, I still felt it was worthy of these good reviews. There were times when I felt the script was a little clunky and a few improbable situations took it away from a gritty black drama to a soapy flick, however it was clever, funny, well shot and stays with you for a while

Post #: 13
RE: - 5/1/2013 5:39:41 PM   
Magenta

Well I havn't seen Kill List and tbh it didn't appeal so having seen this by the same director maybe I will.
Went yesterday eve to a fairly full theatre and just smirked and giggled the whole way through which I'm not sure I should have but couldn't help myself.
Was certainly a bit bizarre in places and yet it certainly had my attention along with that bitter sweet fasination.
There were a couple of scenes that were perhaps a little over the top and an uncomfortable silence fell on the audience but on the whole I think it worked..
4/5

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to danfacey711)
Post #: 14
Sightseers- caravanning is murder! - 29/3/2013 11:09:48 PM   
JJB888

Really good, pitch black writing and an outstanding performance from both Oram and Lowe. This film proudly shows off its Britishness whilst revelling in everyday miseries. It may not be as funny as expected and it's no Kill List but Sightseers is still entertaining and has a knockout finish.

Post #: 15
In what way is this funny? - 2/4/2013 2:09:53 PM   
timrichsmith

To start with, the trailer for this film gave me the impression that it would be hilarious (I doubt whether any trailed scenes were in the film). Secondly, how is this film funny? Shaun of the Dead, that was funny. Sightseers was complete rubbish and not funny in the slighhtest. I feel let down and disappointed and think that it was completely misrepresented by the trailer. The film is the product of a twisted mind and, well...words fail me. It is dross and should have been given an 18 rating. Ben Wheatley, please see teacher.

Post #: 16
IT'S QUALITY - 7/4/2013 1:04:01 PM   
chrisdagnall

IGNORE THE OTHER BAD REVIEWS HERE, ITS PITCH BLACK FUNNY....STEVE ORAM THE STANDOUT..

Post #: 17
NICE BUT DIM..... - 10/6/2013 5:12:20 PM   
ROTGUT

Wasn’t a massive fan of Ben Wheatley’s Kill List. Not a massive fan of this film either – but it’s still worth a look. Some of the humour just isn't funny while other gags hit a bit too close to home for it to be truly hilarious - and it was difficult to sympathise with either of the two leads as they were both a bit too uninteresting to spend any length of time with. But maybe that's the whole point of the thing. When it comes - the gory stuff is all the more horrific because it’s all so down to earth and commonplace. Stick around for the end though and you’ll be in stitches as our twisted lovers take the ultimate leap of faith - and if they ever decide to bring back the Sarah Jane adventures on the Beeb they could certainly cast Alice Lowe in the lead as she bears an uncanny resemblance to the late Liz Sladen. THREE STARS

Post #: 18
RE: Hmm - 13/6/2013 10:14:36 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

quote:

ORIGINAL: guysalisbury

No, you're not alone. It was like an extended episode of Tales of the Unexpected. Pfff.

That aside, Sightseers would make the good second half of a double-bill with The Liability. It's almost a disservice to call this Natural Born Killers vs Psychoville, but that's the best way I can describe it, and I mean it with all respect. Ace.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 19
No where....... - 7/1/2014 12:34:32 AM   
guysalisbury

.........near as shit as Kill List but its still not very good. A few funny bits. I don't understand why this director is getting so much recognition.

Post #: 20
- 24/1/2014 8:40:42 AM   
eclipsoverseer

It's obviously very well made but there is no emotional connection with the characters whatsoever.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sightseers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI