Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 26/11/2012 11:04:48 AM   
Olaf

Street Fighter II Turbo was the first game I ever got with my SNES (as such, I only ever played as Cammy or Fei Long at the arcade machine in our local leisure centre. T Hawk sucks anyway). I can't even imagine the amount of hours I must have put into it with my older brother when we were kids, absolutely incredible game.

(Luckily by the time we had moved onto the next console, Tekken 3 had came out so we sunk millions of hours into that instead. good times.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 121
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 26/11/2012 11:19:00 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I never really got into the Tekken series. I started getting into Tekken 3 briefly but it got ruined by the fact that everyone always chose Eddy and cheesily button mashed their way to victory every single time (same reason I never got on with the Mortal Kombat series). To be honest I didn't really get into 3D fighters properly until the Dreamcast and Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, both of which I spent a fuckload of hours playing although not quite as much as Street Fighter III and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/11/2012 11:23:15 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 122
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 28/11/2012 1:43:02 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Good to see the love for Street Fighter 2! Anyway, I promised a double entry but I decided to scrap that and just do one because well it's my list and I do whatever I want

17. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (1998, Naughty Dog, PS1)

I was reading a greatest games ever list the other day (I think it was GameRadar's), and on their entry for Crash Warped, they said it was the game in the series that took everything 1 and 2 did and perfected it. I couldn't sum it up better myself. The first two games are both amazing platformers and personal favourites but Warped is, to quote Pierce Hawthorn, streets ahead. The levels were more varied, the addition of Coco, Crash's sister as a playable character was a great decision as well. Even though the handling on the motorcycle on the motorcycle level was shonky at best, I still love the hell out of that level and frankly all the levels, although I'm still not a fan of the boss battles. Especially Dingodile's. 8 year old me hated that fucking level, and I still hate it to this day. But I digress, Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped would easily make my Top 5 games for the Playstation 1 and has easily slid into a comfortable position in my Top 50 of all time list, simply because it's addictive platforming fun, with a zany sense of humour and great attention to detail. I tend to ignore the later games, as I've done to a lot of the series I played as a kid (eg. Spyro, Pokemon, Mario). I don't know why I do it, I guess it's misty eyed nostalgia playing tricks on me.

Up Next: An entry from a series I mentioned in the above post. Will it be Spyro, Pokemon or Mario?

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 28/11/2012 1:44:39 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 123
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 28/11/2012 6:16:42 PM   
directorscut

What ever happened to Crash Bandicoot (starring Bette Davis)? He was supposed to be Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic...

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 124
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 28/11/2012 8:48:06 PM   
Anfr0ni

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Good to see the love for Street Fighter 2! Anyway, I promised a double entry but I decided to scrap that and just do one because well it's my list and I do whatever I want

17. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (1998, Naughty Dog, PS1)

I was reading a greatest games ever list the other day (I think it was GameRadar's), and on their entry for Crash Warped, they said it was the game in the series that took everything 1 and 2 did and perfected it. I couldn't sum it up better myself. The first two games are both amazing platformers and personal favourites but Warped is, to quote Pierce Hawthorn, streets ahead. The levels were more varied, the addition of Coco, Crash's sister as a playable character was a great decision as well. Even though the handling on the motorcycle on the motorcycle level was shonky at best, I still love the hell out of that level and frankly all the levels, although I'm still not a fan of the boss battles. Especially Dingodile's. 8 year old me hated that fucking level, and I still hate it to this day. But I digress, Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped would easily make my Top 5 games for the Playstation 1 and has easily slid into a comfortable position in my Top 50 of all time list, simply because it's addictive platforming fun, with a zany sense of humour and great attention to detail. I tend to ignore the later games, as I've done to a lot of the series I played as a kid (eg. Spyro, Pokemon, Mario). I don't know why I do it, I guess it's misty eyed nostalgia playing tricks on me.

Up Next: An entry from a series I mentioned in the above post. Will it be Spyro, Pokemon or Mario?

Hells yes, knew this would be your favourite CB game haha!

Ahmergawddd.

Post #: 125
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 2:01:32 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

What ever happened to Crash Bandicoot (starring Bette Davis)? He was supposed to be Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic...

He fell off the radar horrendously. If you looking for mascots for Sony these days, I'd usually look towards Nathan Drake or the Sackboys. Oh and Kratos.

And what's your favourite again Anfr0ni? And no you can't say CTR.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 29/11/2012 2:03:43 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 126
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 11:17:51 AM   
Anfr0ni

quote:

And what's your favourite again Anfr0ni? And no you can't say CTR.

Mine would have to be probably warped aswell.

Ahmergawddd.

Post #: 127
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 11:50:16 AM   
Rhubarb

Catching up on the last few - Considering that each round in beat em ups is sub 60 seconds, the amound of hours and hours and hours they have taken up in my life is kinda frightening. Like with most, SFII is where that started for me (I remember pretending I was ill, so I could stay at home and finish the single player, which strikes me as unusual for a multiplayer standard, and a great compliment) and it still stands up. The key really is the balance of the characters - of the original lot, none is stronger than the other, its about what suits your playstyle (I played as Chun Li or Guile - but my brothers played as Ryu and Ken, and my streetfighter-friend of the time always took Zangeif). I actually thought it would never be topped untill Soul Calibur came along.
I never got on with SSB though. Everyone always says its a masterpiece, and it probably is, but it just never worked for me, which is a shame because I kinda like the idea. Maybe it would work better for me as an adult, I'm not sure, but its kinda the one that got away for me really.
I like Crash: Warped. It took me ages to get a PS1 (I was an N64 child all the way), but I still have quite a lot of games on that console that I am fond of, and the Crash Bandicoot series is pretty decent. I went back through them last year actually (and finally played the 360 games in the series) and they hold up, which is great.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Anfr0ni)
Post #: 128
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 4:04:52 PM   
Olaf

Zangief was my go-to most of the time as well. I think the brilliance of it was that all the characters were fun to play with without being over/under-powered, but like you say it benefits from focusing on a character that suits your playing style as well. It's hard to think of many games that balance the hardcore and casual sides so efficiently.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/11/2012 4:07:50 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 129
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 4:37:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I used to play with Ken, Ryu, Vega or Guile. Of the four Ken was my absolute favourite, his flaming dragon punch was so god damn satisfying. The problem is that I had to mix it up because I used to absolutely pwn my friends with Ken or Ryu (or Cammy or Fei Long as well) so I started playing with the charge backers (who I hated using) to placate them. It didn't really help their cause though, it just meant that they got their asses handed to them by a variety of characters .

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I think the brilliance of it was that all the characters were fun to play with without being over/under-powered,

I'd say M. Bison was pretty over-powered in Super Street Fighter II. His head stomp was basically unblockable and his torpedo charge attack crushed your health. His low hard kick had ridiculous range as well, probably moreso than Guile.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 130
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 4:52:41 PM   
Olaf

Yeah, but everyone knows that it was a dick move to pick Bison. (same goes for Sagat.)

Post #: 131
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 5:11:19 PM   
Rhubarb

I always had more trouble dealing with Sagat than Bison, both in single and multiplayer. His reach is just unreal. I once did fancy dress as Ken though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 132
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 7:10:02 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Psygnosis were one of the best devs around at the end of the 90s. I played Rollcage, Wipeout 3 and Destruction Derby 2 to death pretty much.

I must have played dozens of Psygnosis titles over the years, they were my favourite developer back in the day - even their bad games had something interesting about them. They will be missed!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 133
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 7:11:04 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Portal is one of my all-time faves, never played the sequel though for some reason.

quote:

Up Next: I am Alpha and Omega

Fallout 3's great too.

Then you have to rectify that ASAP! What are you waiting for - get it now!!!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 134
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 7:16:17 PM   
Saltire

quote:

13. Assassins Creed 2 (2009, Ubisoft, PS3)

Assassins Creed 2 is a perfect example that the "sequels are never better then the original" argument is sometimes glaringly wrong. AC2 took everything good about the admittedly good first game and vastly improved on it's strengths and flaws and pumped out a stellar sequel superior to the original in nearly every way. From it's charismatic protagonist Ezio Auditore da Firenze, to it's incredibly fleshed out Renaissance era Italy, it's intricateness and detail is a good distraction from the contrived Animus adventures of Desmond Miles and friends. I mean I'm not out-right saying that present day characters are useless, but even up to Assassin's 3 I cared more about the people within the Animus then the people out of it. It's probably meant to be like that but it's just something I've realised. It doesn't help that Florence and Venice are absolutely beautifully rendered environments and just running around the streets was more entertaining then most first person shooters. It's absolutely gorgeous game to look at, as are all the games in the series, and Ubisoft certainly did their homework whilst creating the game. Obviously not everything is going to perfectly historically accurate and I did begin to feel like Connor from Assassins Creed 3 was like Forrest Gump if Forrest was both a Native American and Assassin but that's neither here nor there. Also spoilers below!!

What other game has you fight the fucking Pope? Seriously, the last half hour or so of Assassins Creed 2, from the Vatican City scenes to the revelations from Minerva were some of the most engrossing gaming I think I've ever had.

End Spoilers

Also, a shout-out to 2's direct sequels, Brotherhood and Revelations. They're both excellent games and far better then some reviews would lead you onto believe.

Up Next: A PS1 racing game that was influenced by a 70's cult film.

Assassins Creed is my favourite gaming series on the Xbox due to this game, I have never cared so much for a gaming character as I have for Ezio. And the locations, story and meeting Leonardo da Vinci - it doesn't get better than that. AC3 should be ashamed of itself in comparison to this sheer brilliance.

Post #: 135
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 7:21:05 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anfr0ni

Assassin's 2 proves a game can be better than prequels and sequels, easily the best game of the entire serious right here!
Not to mention all 1000 g for it haha

Me too, one of only two games I've done that for (the other being ahem Lego Indy ). I would have had others if they didn't insist on unfairly adding extra GS for DLC I don't buy.

(in reply to Anfr0ni)
Post #: 136
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 29/11/2012 7:23:09 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

It depends on genre obviously. A shooter doesn't need much of a story - see DOOM. The game just plants you into it's world and let's you experience it's gameplay off the bat. Compare this to CoD which bores the hell out of you with it's tedious story and scripted "gameplay".

However a good story and characters is a must in an adventure game or RPG.

Ah DOOM, still in my top 3 of favourite ever all time games.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 137
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 30/11/2012 2:20:07 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I always played as Ryu primarily but l also liked Ken, Chun-Li and Zangief too.

quote:

Yeah, but everyone knows that it was a dick move to pick Bison. (same goes for Sagat.)

This.

And thanks for the input Saltire, glad you're enjoying the list (btw Doom will definitely be appearing on the list too)

Entry 18 will be up soon.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 30/11/2012 2:21:10 AM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 138
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 30/11/2012 6:28:58 AM   
Anfr0ni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anfr0ni

Assassin's 2 proves a game can be better than prequels and sequels, easily the best game of the entire serious right here!
Not to mention all 1000 g for it haha

Me too, one of only two games I've done that for (the other being ahem Lego Indy ). I would have had others if they didn't insist on unfairly adding extra GS for DLC I don't buy.

I completely understand your pain there mate!
Can't stand multiplayer achievements either.

Ahmergawddd.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 139
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 30/11/2012 7:57:00 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

18. Pokemon Red (1999, Game Freak, Gameboy)

Yep, Pokemon. I was a member of the Pokemon generation. I was at the perfect age when the craze took off. Games, bed-sheets, pedometers, plush toys, playing cards, T-shirts, movies, the tv show. My life when I was younger was ruled by Mario, Pokemon and oddly enough Mr. Bean who I was obsessed with. When the series expanded beyond the OG 150 Pokemon, I fell off the band-wagon hard (it was always right around the time I became obsessed with Star Wars). Irrelevant of that, I still have a deep deep love for Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. I gave Red the position because it was the first one I owned and the one I played the most. The addictive gameplay and the portability of the Game Boy made for literally hundreds of hours of fun. Even my Mum played it for crying out loud. I still have the cartridge and my old Game Boy somewhere and I really want to play it again now that I'm on the topic of it because just the thought of evolving my Charmander up to a Charizard is just enough to make me want to play it.

Up Next: The first game in a titan of a franchise. Hint: It was a launch title for a console as well.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 30/11/2012 8:00:41 AM >

(in reply to Anfr0ni)
Post #: 140
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 30/11/2012 8:45:46 AM   
Rebel scum

Crash Bandicoot Warped was great fun, I miss when mascot platformers were good.
I was a Pokemon nut as well, though the first one I got was fucking Yellow.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 141
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 30/11/2012 8:51:31 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
I fancy Ken.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 142
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 3:46:35 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Crash Bandicoot Warped was great fun, I miss when mascot platformers were good.
I was a Pokemon nut as well, though the first one I got was fucking Yellow.

As do I. And Yellow was the second one I got, but I played it just as much if not more then Red.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
I fancy Ken.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 143
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 3:58:37 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

19. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001, Bungie, Xbox and PC)

I've always been a Sony boy ever since I was young. I never try to get involved in flame wars however because I like the Xbox brand just as much but I made my decision to keep with Sony and that's my decision. I'm also much too poor to afford an Xbox otherwise I would actually buy one too. But I'm getting decidedly off-topic. The point I was going to make was that the Halo series is brilliant and I would happily buy an Xbox just so I can play it. I've loved every Halo game I've ever played, and with my friends including Anfr0ni (who has posted on this thread already several times), have smashed dozens of hours into multiple games in the series. But the first game in the series will always hold a special place in my heart, for reasons I can't particularly explain. Maybe it's because I owned it on PC and was the first one I ever completed. Maybe it's because we had a copy of it on our high school servers and decimating pimply 14 year old kids on multiplayer was one of the high-lights of my entire high-school life (I didn't have a thriving social life obviously). In actuality, I love it just because it was a fantastic fun game that I'll happily return to over and over again. It's one of the few MEGA FPS BLOCKBUSTERS that I'll happily defend too. I have no problems with COD but the amount of scorn heaped onto the series doesn't make me feel the need to argue with people about it. I don't really care all that much. And once again I'm getting off-topic as per usual, so yeah Halo CE ftw and all that.

Up Next: One of the greatest games from this current generations of consoles with one of the only moments in gaming history where I literally had to stop playing for a bit and keep my emotions in check.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/12/2012 3:59:43 AM >

Post #: 144
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 5:09:04 AM   
Anfr0ni

quote:

19. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001, Bungie, Xbox and PC)

Probably should've been number 1, even for a playstation boi haha. Easily the best Halo though as previously discussed!

Ahmergawddd.

Post #: 145
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 10:39:02 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Much like Goldeneye I always found Halo incredibly overrated. It was good for a console shooter, granted, but  I was playing much better FPS's on the PC at the time. Plus it popularised the innovation of hide to heal (just shields in the first game but then health as well in the second) which I think has ruined pretty much every shooter made since to a degree.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Anfr0ni)
Post #: 146
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 9:52:23 PM   
Anfr0ni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Much like Goldeneye I always found Halo incredibly overrated. It was good for a console shooter, granted, but I was playing much better FPS's on the PC at the time. Plus it popularised the innovation of hide to heal (just shields in the first game but then health as well in the second) which I think has ruined pretty much every shooter made since to a degree.

Overrated! I'm not disagreeing due to being a major fanboy of both these titles but honestly any true gamer that's passed puberty would be able to agree that these 2 were easily some of the most influential and amazing FPS's released. You are true in what you said though, PC did have an excellent variety of compelling shooters aswell.
In regards to the shield system, very frustrating topic. Not necessarily due to how it works but how frequently it changes depending on the Halo game being played.

Ahmergawddd.

Post #: 147
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 10:07:23 PM   
Rhubarb

Combat Evolved is amazing, but I am still having nightmares about the library. Going back with the remake last year was interesting because it was actually a slower revolution with the franchise than I remembered. I still think 3 is the peak of the series.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Anfr0ni)
Post #: 148
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 3/12/2012 10:34:32 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I always found Halo incredibly shit. It was possibly quite shit for a console shooter as well, but I was playing much better FPS's on the PC at the time. Plus it popularised the innovation of hide to heal (just shields in the first game but then health as well in the second), the silliest and dumbest alien designs in existence to be ever meant to be taken as somewhat threatening and weapons that are as meaty as a water pistol which I think has ruined pretty much every shooter made since to a degree.

Nice discworld planet though.

Fixed to meet my opinion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 149
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 4/12/2012 1:04:15 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I always found Halo incredibly shit. It was possibly quite shit for a console shooter as well, but I was playing much better FPS's on the PC at the time. Plus it popularised the innovation of hide to heal (just shields in the first game but then health as well in the second), the silliest and dumbest alien designs in existence to be ever meant to be taken as somewhat threatening and weapons that are as meaty as a water pistol which I think has ruined pretty much every shooter made since to a degree.

Nice discworld planet though.

Fixed to meet my opinion.

literally no-one cares what you think.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI