Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 10/12/2012 4:14:51 PM   
jcthefirst

I don't know what the fuck you all are on about. I just like SHOOTING THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 271
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 10/12/2012 4:37:10 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
There was also that Spitting Image beat em-up where you could have Thatcher fight The Pope.

I had that! Gorbachev's special move was throwing vodka bottles at people and I'm sure someone else pissed on people.

And Dizzy was immense. Looks like that website to fund the new game is shit out of luck, £22k out of a £350,000 target with 10 days to go.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 272
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 10/12/2012 9:58:04 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

It's less of a shift in mechanics and more of a way to incorporate the controls into the Wii controller.

That is a shift in mechanics. To quote the influential essay MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research -

quote:

Mechanics
Mechanics are the various actions, behaviors and control mechanisms afforded to the player within a game context. Together with the game’s content (levels, assets and so on) the mechanics support overall gameplay dynamics.

You are academically incorrect.

I read that as a control mechanism within the game; you know pre-destination (linear pathways), freedom of choice (and the subterfuge that you don't really have a choice - see Bioshock) etc. Not the controller as a specific gameplay mechanic....

They give the example in the essay of shuffling a deck of cards, which I think covers that idea - arguably, the way in which you control something is as much a mechanic as the type of control the game allows you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 273
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 10/12/2012 11:53:09 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Liberty City Stories ahead of VCS? Really??

I never got to play much of VCS but I finished LCS. I liked what I played of VCS though don't get me wrong.

quote:

also, since both are being discussed - GTA and the Commodore 64 together at last. Vice City, obviously - http://youtu.be/XVHqL_uTqOg

That is glorious.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

All the talk of stuff like Dizzy has put me in the mood to do my own list of old school classics sometime in the new year. I'd probably restrict it to 8-bit computers and consoles only. I'll see how it goes in the new year and whether I can still be arsed or not.

I look forward to it Harry

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 274
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 2:02:41 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

It's less of a shift in mechanics and more of a way to incorporate the controls into the Wii controller.

That is a shift in mechanics. To quote the influential essay MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research

quote:

Mechanics
Mechanics are the various actions, behaviors and control mechanisms afforded to the player within a game context. Together with the game’s content (levels, assets and so on) the mechanics support overall gameplay dynamics.

quote:

Oh and I care very little for multiplayer (other then a few or simply just one exception).

There's that "I just don't care about your development" thing again.

quote:

Also, Spirit Tracks? Wouldn't Phantom Hourglass be the truly great example since it had to incorporate the changes into the DS?

Spirit Tracks is more obvious a shift, putting aside the DS shift because apparently you disagree with a significant body of academic work and don't think shifts in consoles or control schemes are mechanic changes.

Wait, I'm going to re-echo clowny here, that's still the same gameplay mechanics. Also, which academic work is this, cause I've never read one. I'd like to see what they would say on, for example, Resi 4 on GC or PS2 and Resi 4 on Wii (one of the most frustrating things ever).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 275
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 2:35:45 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is a shift in mechanics. To quote the influential essay MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research

quote:

Mechanics

quote:

Oh and I care very little for multiplayer (other then a few or simply just one exception).

There's that "I just don't care about your development" thing again.

quote:

Also, Spirit Tracks? Wouldn't Phantom Hourglass be the truly great example since it had to incorporate the changes into the DS?

Spirit Tracks is more obvious a shift, putting aside the DS shift because apparently you disagree with a significant body of academic work and don't think shifts in consoles or control schemes are mechanic changes.

Wait, I'm going to re-echo clowny here, that's still the same gameplay mechanics. Also, which academic work is this, cause I've never read one. I'd like to see what they would say on, for example, Resi 4 on GC or PS2 and Resi 4 on Wii (one of the most frustrating things ever).

And as I answered clowny, they give the example of shuffling a deck of cards as a mechanic, which is roughly equivalent to the manipulation you perform with a controller. Likewise, the quote refers to "control mechanisms afforded to the player within a game context" - unless you want to argue that a Wiimote controlling Link's movements in a game isn't 'within a game context', or that a Wiimote isn't a 'control mechanism', there's not a lot of wiggle-room here for you to say that a change in controller doesn't constitute a significant change in mechanics.

Also, I literally mention the name of the essay in my post. Do you not read anything? Are you just derping your way through these posts as though a Drooch on a Scre4m thread?

The essay deals with general game construction, focusing specifically on board games like Monopoly - Extra Credits does an excellent video breaking it down for a video game context, though, which is also worth a look.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 276
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 2:53:56 AM   
Deviation

quote:

And as I answered clowny, they give the example of shuffling a deck of cards as a mechanic, which is roughly equivalent to the manipulation you perform with a controller. Likewise, the quote refers to "control mechanisms afforded to the player within a game context" - unless you want to argue that a Wiimote controlling Link's movements in a game isn't 'within a game context', or that a Wiimote isn't a 'control mechanism', there's not a lot of wiggle-room here for you to say that a change in controller doesn't constitute a significant change in mechanics.

quote:

The essay deals with general game construction, focusing specifically on board games like Monopoly - Extra Credits does an excellent video breaking it down for a video game context, though, which is also worth a look.

I found the essay now, I'll check it out and see what it states, or if I'm lazy, watch the Extra Credits video (though it's quite nicely presented and seems to be a fast read). It's also not what I am referring to if this is what I'm thinking it is.

Oh and I think you're underestimating how apathetic I am to multiplayer on the whole (one exception being Team Fortress 2 because it is hilarious), and it is not because I tend to get beaten a lot IT IS NOT FOR THAT NOT IN ANY WAY STOP THINKING ABOUT THAT

quote:

Also, I literally mention the name of the essay in my post. Do you not read anything? Are you just derping your way through these posts as though a Drooch on a Scre4m thread?

You're right, I did derp here, I mostly read the bit about mechanics, was baffled a bit and then went to the Dues Ex bit, it wasn't hard to miss either BECAUSE OF THE ITALICS, so this was me objectively, irrefutably derping.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 277
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 2:57:08 AM   
Deviation

Oh and you should totally be ashamed for not playing Deus Ex, even my spider has probably played that game and loved it.

The shit graphics that were poor even when they were released might prove a problem though.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 278
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 3:51:14 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

The shit graphics that were poor even when they were released might prove a problem though.

The graphics are pretty woeful but the game itself is amazing which completely excuses the graphics.

Slightly off-topic but whatever, I've spent the last hour listening to songs off the Vice City soundtrack. Goddamn that was an amazing fucking soundtrack. Never thought I'd go from listening to Kate Bush to Rick James to Slayer in the space of 10 minutes but still awesome. I'm tempted to make a Top 20 songs from Vice City thread now.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 279
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 4:53:21 AM   
Deviation

Oh yeah, the rest of the game is amazing.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 280
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 9:11:04 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Oh and you should totally be ashamed for not playing Deus Ex, even my spider has probably played that game and loved it.

Fired it up a couple of nights ago, boy howdy those graphics are not pretty are they. I'm digging the hysterical CONSPIRACIES EVERYWHERE vibe of it, but I'm a bit concerned that's gonna wear out. Good stuff so far though.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 281
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 1:06:21 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

22. Ape Escape (1999, SCE Japan Studio, PS1)

I'm extremely sleep deprived at the moment so I'm going to keep this reasonably brief. Ape Escape was massively addictive fun when I was younger, even though the full use of the Dual Analog Controller was slightly infuriating at times (it was a new fandangled idea at the time). Again, that was because I was a shit albeit committed and dedicated gamer (not much has changed to be honest, though my skills have improved slightly). I haven't played the O.G. Ape Escape in over 5 years so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I loved it then immensely so that's why it has earned a spot on my list. Ape Escape was also the subject of a terrific mini-game called Snake vs. Monkey in Metal Gear Solid 3; it's omission as a bonus in the HD collection version of MGS 3 was criminal.

Up Next: A double entry from an immortal series of games, that has already been mentioned in the list already.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 11/12/2012 1:08:52 PM >

Post #: 282
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 11/12/2012 1:51:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Fired it up a couple of nights ago, boy howdy those graphics are not pretty are they. I'm digging the hysterical CONSPIRACIES EVERYWHERE vibe of it, but I'm a bit concerned that's gonna wear out. Good stuff so far though.

Don't worry, it won't. Though I think the whole conspiracy thing works in the context of Deus Ex, so it's not like one of those films where the conspiracy would be blatantly obvious and anyone with a couple of functioning eyes can see it.

Btw, loved the academic essay.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 283
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 13/12/2012 12:23:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Just a heads-up to everyone, Duke Nukem 3d is free to download from Gog.com ya'll. I would try and link it but it's being annoying and won't link properly so just head over to Gog and check it out

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 13/12/2012 12:25:09 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 284
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 17/12/2012 6:19:51 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

23.Super Mario World (1990, Nintendo EAD, SNES)

Doesn't need much of a write-up to be honest. If you've played Super Mario World, you're aware of why this would be on my list. The same goes for SMB3, Super Mario 64 and a lot of games in the series. They're all just amazing games, that provide endless amounts of fun and SMW also introduced Yoshi (I'm fairly sure it was the first game to feature him) which automatically earns it a spot to honest.

Super Mario World 2 (1995, Nintendo EAD, SNES)

Not so much a Mario game as a Yoshi game, SMW2: Yoshi's Island is sadly overlooked (at least in my mind) when discussing the series's best games. The graphic design is interesting and really vibrant and the different gameplay style breathed a little fresh air into the series for those who felt it grew stale. I'd argue SMW is better then number 2, but Yoshi's Island has so much charm there was no way I could possibly exclude it.

Up Next: A PS3 exclusive game that's probably the best exclusive game currently for the console.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 17/12/2012 6:20:54 AM >

Post #: 285
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 1:46:43 AM   
Deviation

God of War 3? It's God of War 3 isn't it?

quote:

quote:

Post #: 286
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 1:52:43 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

God of War 3? It's God of War 3 isn't it?

True fact: I've never played a God Of War game except for one on a PSP for about 5 minutes.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 287
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 1:58:21 AM   
Deviation

The first one is legitimately one of the greatest games ever with one of the tightest narratives I've seen for a game of its kind. Then the very good but a bit messy GoW2 happened.

(Also, I don't think Dagless fits in this context, but I just wanted to post that)

quote:

quote:

Post #: 288
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 2:04:37 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I do have a friend with the HD collection which I've been meaning to borrow for ages. My backlog of games is immense at the moment.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 289
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 2:41:26 AM   
Rhubarb

SMW is just astonishing. Soooooooo far ahead of everything else at the time its embarrassing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 290
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 2:58:08 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

SMW is just astonishing. Soooooooo far ahead of everything else at the time its embarrassing.

Quoted for truth.

Not a fan of SMW2 or haven't you played it?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 291
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 3:25:41 AM   
Rhubarb

It feels like I should have played it, but I don't remember anything about it really, so its possible I never got it. Perhaps by 1995 I was playing Donkey Kong Country or something. There's probably a few SNES games I missed due to it being the old you get one game for Christmas and one game for your Birthday era.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 292
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 3:34:16 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

It feels like I should have played it, but I don't remember anything about it really, so its possible I never got it. Perhaps by 1995 I was playing Donkey Kong Country or something. There's probably a few SNES games I missed due to it being the old you get one game for Christmas and one game for your Birthday era.

Ah fair enough. And DKC was awesome from memory. And I had the same Birthday/Christmas rule as well, but the majority of my SNES games were in a bundle package if I remember it rightly. That was about 15 years ago mind so my memory is fuzzy at best.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 293
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 5:03:06 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Up Next: A PS3 exclusive game that's probably the best exclusive game currently for the console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan:_Chicago_Transit_Authority_Brown_Line

Gotta be.

Gotta be.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 294
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 5:06:07 AM   
Olaf

Tokyo Jungle FTW yo.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 295
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 6:08:40 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan:_Chicago_Transit_Authority_Brown_Line

Gotta be.

Gotta be.

Spoilers for my list below

It's a bit too obvious to say I've never heard of it but yeah never heard of it

quote:

Tokyo Jungle FTW yo.

That actually looks quite good, wouldn't mind eventually giving it a go.

Post #: 296
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 10:04:22 AM   
Harry Tuttle

SMW is just video game perfection. I spent god knows how much time unlocking all the hidden levels in the game and it never once felt like a chore. It'd probably make my own personal top 5 games of all time list. Yoshi's Island is a fantastic game as well. It's not as good as SMW (not many games are) but it is a classic in it's own right. Tough as nails too.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 297
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 11:32:05 AM   
clownfoot

Super Mario World is great. I wish I had that to review for The Pixel Empire secret santa and not fucking Cool Spot on the Megadrive. Because Cool Spot is no Mario...

Also, I can count God of War as one of three games I've platinumed on the PS3. It's probably one of the best games released on the PS2. I've got God of War 3 to play but keep thinking I should go through the second game first to keep with the chronology of the story. Does this matter at all?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 298
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 11:35:19 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Super Mario World is great. I wish I had that to review for The Pixel Empire secret santa and not fucking Cool Spot on the Megadrive. Because Cool Spot is no Mario...

Cool Spot does have some of the most fantastically brazen product placement ever though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 299
RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games - 18/12/2012 11:42:58 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

SMW is just video game perfection. I spent god knows how much time unlocking all the hidden levels in the game and it never once felt like a chore.

That's just it, it's one of those games that trying to find every little secret the game contained was all part of the fun, unlike a lot of today's games where it feels tiresome at times.

quote:

Fuck, I haven't thought about Cool Spot in ages! But yeah SMW > Yoshi's Island > Cool Spot obvs.

quote:

Cool Spot does have some of the most fantastically brazen product placement ever though.

It made I-Robot look subtle.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Brooksy's Top 50 Games Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI