Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

To Live And Die In LA

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> To Live And Die In LA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To Live And Die In LA - 7/11/2012 11:56:58 PM   
Mister Coe

I picked up a copy of this fllm cheap on Amazon, hadn't seen it in over a decade and... wow. What a great film.

Yeah, some of it looks a bit dated (the soundtracks by Wang Chung!) but it's full of great performances, some truly nasty violence and THAT car chase...

An overlooked classic, methinks...

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 9/11/2012 11:10:40 AM   
ElephantBoy

^ Yeah one of Friedkin's best ever films and stunning. Its a morality tale on violence which is where he is at his best. Defoe is awesome in it too.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 9/11/2012 11:16:15 AM   
Rgirvan44

It felt like this was big influence on Drive...not least the shotgun effects.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 3
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 9/11/2012 1:12:27 PM   
great_badir

Awful opening and ropey transformation of John Pankow's character at the end aside, yeah - brilliant film.

So glad Friedkin didn't use the happy ending he was originally told to - absolutely dreadful scene.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 18/11/2012 11:31:31 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Awful opening and ropey transformation of John Pankow's character at the end aside, yeah - brilliant film.

So glad Friedkin didn't use the happy ending he was originally told to - absolutely dreadful scene.

Happy ending? Whats that all about? Pray, do tell...

Say what now?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 19/11/2012 12:54:57 PM   
great_badir

SPOILERS

It's on the DVD - it cuts to Chance (who is not killed) and Vukovich, sat in some metal shed in Alaska, or the North Pole or somewhere like that, having been sent there as a punishment, watching their boss on TV taking all the credit for their takedown. It goes completely against the tone of the rest of the film and is straight out of a buddy comedy flick. United Artists, apparently, pressed Friedkin hard to use the happy ending. He filmed it, but fought it all the way and, fortunately, when UA saw it they agreed that it didn't work, so Friedkin won and the original ending was put back.

I still think Vukovich almost literally turning into Chance is a bit shit, but it's a million times better than what could have been.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: To Live And Die In LA - 19/11/2012 10:40:25 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

SPOILERS

It's on the DVD - it cuts to Chance (who is not killed) and Vukovich, sat in some metal shed in Alaska, or the North Pole or somewhere like that, having been sent there as a punishment, watching their boss on TV taking all the credit for their takedown. It goes completely against the tone of the rest of the film and is straight out of a buddy comedy flick. United Artists, apparently, pressed Friedkin hard to use the happy ending. He filmed it, but fought it all the way and, fortunately, when UA saw it they agreed that it didn't work, so Friedkin won and the original ending was put back.

I still think Vukovich almost literally turning into Chance is a bit shit, but it's a million times better than what could have been.

Thanks!

Say what now?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> To Live And Die In LA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI