Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence - 6/11/2012 11:38:44 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 6/11/2012 11:38:44 AM   
Whistler

I have to admit, I had a singe of disappointment when it didn't start the film, especially after Simon Mayo promising something special in the "first two seconds". Luckily the following 143 minutes were smashing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 6/11/2012 12:01:46 PM   
clarkkent

Really? That's the complaint people had about Skyfall? Not the flat, dull sounding theme tune or the fact that the film felt like it had some money issues?

Post #: 3
- 6/11/2012 12:02:00 PM   
clarkkent

Really? That's the complaint people had about Skyfall? Not the flat, dull sounding theme tune or the fact that the film felt like it had some money issues?

Post #: 4
RE: - 6/11/2012 12:02:30 PM   
jonson

Did Chris Hewitt rush back from auditioning for Last of the Summer Wine?

Anyway, back on topic, I didn't even notice the gun barrel wasn't at the beginning. Although to be fair, I'd be surrpised if any Bondians picked up on this, it seems awfully petty.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 6/11/2012 12:05:46 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Did Chris Hewitt rush back from auditioning for Last of the Summer Wine?

Anyway, back on topic, I didn't even notice the gun barrel wasn't at the beginning. Although to be fair, I'd be surrpised if any Bondians picked up on this, it seems awfully petty.

I watched a 2 hour trailer for a brilliant looking Daniel Craig film, got to the barrel sequence and settled down to watch Bond and then the credits rolled.

Bit of an anti climax really .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/11/2012 12:44:14 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 6/11/2012 12:26:13 PM   
jobloffski

It's a bit ridiculous for the gun barrel thing to be the subject of complaints. It could have potentially worked at the beginning, but only if during the sequence, the shot of Bond clearly holding the gun morphed/blended into the shot of Bond out of focus holding a gun to avoid the repetition of Bond walking into shot in both shots. And bitchers would have bitched about that too,

The beginning shot, of Bond out of focus, by the end, seen clearly in focus, in the gun barrel sequence the opening shot so clearly, obviously, and artistically appropriately alludes to.. Totally fits what the film is about, in terms of the characterisation of Bond it contains and unless they want to put the character of Bond himself under the microscope again for a fourth time in a row the door is fully open to opening the next film totally traditionally and just getting into an opening sequence that is followed by the opening titles and then Bond reporting for duty to take on the mission of the film, just like in days of yore.. Job done, move on, find something real to complain about!

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 6/11/2012 12:39:32 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 7
things change, things stay the same - 6/11/2012 1:06:42 PM   
leroythemasochist

no gun barrel? ok, nice to have had it but lets move on shall we?
craig and now mendes have proved beyond doubt that they are masters of their crafts.
best Bond movie ive seen for decades.
not that most of the others are crap, just that this was outstanding.
always been a Connery fan but i really do think that Craig is edging him now...

Post #: 8
money issues - 6/11/2012 3:27:57 PM   
combourg

Have said before except a few minor points a 'great' Bond movie I have just one question
Skyfall cost 150mil Quantum 200mil
WTF did they spend 200mil on?
Answers on a poscard!

Excuse crap spelling and typing, broke my hand 2 weeks ago and the plaster aint helpin

Post #: 9
RE: money issues - 6/11/2012 3:56:41 PM   
jobloffski

Car chases, boat chases, sets, Opera houses, location shooting in various parts of the world, and a larger number of explosions, and aerial stuff, not to mention scenes featuring large numbers of extra comes a little more expensively than mainly London and an isolated scottish location, with many scenes featuring only Bond and someone else, even when abroad and the filming doesn;t require sets but merely the filming of largely what is already there or more or less what is already there?

It's not only thematically that SF is stripped down to basics. Whatever opinions people have of the tone or direction/editing of QOS, it is more jam packed with traditional Bond tropes and glamorous locales than SF, and the eye of a gifted cinematographer is not as expensive as other ways of prettying up a film?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to combourg)
Post #: 10
RE: things change, things stay the same - 6/11/2012 6:15:51 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: leroythemasochist

no gun barrel? ok, nice to have had it but lets move on shall we?
craig and now mendes have proved beyond doubt that they are masters of their crafts.
best Bond movie ive seen for decades.
not that most of the others are crap, just that this was outstanding.
always been a Connery fan but i really do think that Craig is edging him now...

Surely it could be said that without the gunbarrel and the James Bond Theme then we are watching Never Say Never Again?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 11
Gun barrel better at the end. Bad credits sequence thou... - 6/11/2012 7:15:20 PM   
boyd

I prefer the gun barrel sequence at the end as it nicely caps off the film, especially considering how the last five minutes panned out. If I had one gripe, it would be the naff credits sequence. In hindsight it was a nice piece around the true meaning behind the title of the film, but preferred the parts featuring Bond rather than the mediocre macabre CG graveyards and writhing silhouettes. A minor oversight I felt in an otherwise first rate Bond film.

Post #: 12
- 6/11/2012 7:26:12 PM   
durelius

I thought the opening shot described above where Bond walks into focus was just excellent.

Post #: 13
RE: money issues - 6/11/2012 11:05:30 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: combourg

Have said before except a few minor points a 'great' Bond movie I have just one question
Skyfall cost 150mil Quantum 200mil
WTF did they spend 200mil on?
Answers on a poscard!

Excuse crap spelling and typing, broke my hand 2 weeks ago and the plaster aint helpin

Komodo Dragons! Those bad boys aint' cheap.

(in reply to combourg)
Post #: 14
RE: Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence - 7/11/2012 1:23:33 AM   
manwihtheplan

"For me, I love the gunbarrel logo being at the beginning. It's almost the best bit. "

Oh, please, this guy's comments are embarrassing. The gun barrel is the best bit so that's why I didn't put it at the start of the film, is that it, Sam?

http://www.hollywoodrepublican.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/liar.jpg

Why dosen't he tell the truth and say "I don't have final cut on Skyfall, the producers do. They didn't want the gun barrel at the start and who am I to say no to them?"

That's the real reason why it's not at the start of Skyfall. in 2001 Pierce Brosnan said Eon have final say on the final cut (the finished version of the film):

quote:

Pierce Brosnan wants Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon director Ang Lee to do the next James Bond film. But Lee always demands final cut, a privilege never extended to previous Bond directors. This would take control away from producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson. Brosnan says, "Final cut is a mighty thing to give up so Barbara and Michael and myself have work to be done."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0064804/

Mendes does not have final say where the gun barrel goes, Eon Productions do (Barbara Broccoli and MG Wilson).

When Skyfall is released on Blu-ray/DVD, people will edit the gun barrel to the front and host it on sites like Youtube and Mr Mendes will see how it works perfectly.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 7/11/2012 1:34:38 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence - 7/11/2012 1:37:00 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

When Skyfall is released on Blu-ray/DVD, people will edit the gun barrel to the front and host it on sites like Youtube and Mr Mendes will see how it works perfectly.

Yes, deeply sad people with too much time on their hands.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 16
RE: Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence - 7/11/2012 2:14:28 AM   
directorscut

I wonder if Mendes asked Hewitt about his Attack of the Clones review?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 17
Substitute - 7/11/2012 1:35:10 PM   
spark1

that opening bit in SF is a nice, witty sub for the gunbarrel.

trouble is that the gunbarrel at the end is badly done and feels arkward inserted after the final scene.

the fade out and gunbarrel at end of QoS was a bit better but the brosnan gunbarrel is still a better version.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 8/11/2012 10:19:32 AM >

Post #: 18
Looks ridiculous, indeed - 9/11/2012 12:02:58 AM   
stephen_se9

Come off it, Sam. You cut have had the gun barrell sequence, then open on the Blue Mosque and a caption saying we're in Istanbul then cut to Bond walking down a corridor.

And he's an Oscar winning, director!

Post #: 19
What's the problem? - 10/11/2012 12:37:48 AM   
iain99

I had no problem with it at the end. Thematically it fits with the last scene, with all the traditional Bond elements coming together, and feeling like the start of a new story. Plus, nice to see Chris Hewitt's writing about himself in the third person now

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Sam Mendes Talks Gunbarrel Sequence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI