Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

First Footage From World War Z Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> First Footage From World War Z Online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Footage From World War Z Online - 6/11/2012 9:21:11 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Fast zombies? - 6/11/2012 9:21:11 AM   
FoximusPrime

Possible minor spoilers to the book:

"How faithful the film remains to Max Brooks excellent novel remains to be seen..." The presence of fast zombies suggests it isn't all that faithful - it's been a couple of years since I last read the book, but I seem to remember the slow speed of the zombies being a key characteristic: both in terms of illustrating the inevitability of them / death catching the survivors and how easy "Zack" is to kill ("They aren't in a rush, so why are you?").

And now we have more new-fangled running zombies. I await the proper trailer with low expectations at this point as it seems as though they may have wasted the potential to give us something new in the genre.

< Message edited by FoximusPrime -- 6/11/2012 9:23:04 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Well that Settles It - 6/11/2012 9:29:34 AM   
pump_action

I love this book and I am not one of those 'Oh the missed the smirk from page 127 paragraph 2'. Different mediums can and should have a different take on a story.

In saying that unless this trailer is widely misleading then they have taken the story and stripped in back to 'Zombies' and then changed them to be some kinda Zombie Tsunami. Which basically removes everything that set the book above others in its genre.

What a waste.

Post #: 3
*does sad face* - 6/11/2012 9:41:15 AM   
waltham1979

I try so hard to not be one of those 'fan boys' that expects everything to be exactly like it is in the graphic novel/comic/book. I appreciate that everything will have a different slight on it on different mediums...but what the fuck was that?! Did Marc Forster actually read the book? I know its only brief footage, but it looks like they have taken one of the finest books written in years, a genuinely scary, satirical look at the modern world and turned it into what looks like I Am Legend 2…which ironically was another book/film adaptation that wasn’t a patch on the source material…and actually bore very little resemblance to it.

The strangest thing about all of this is Brad Pitt fought hard to get the rights to the book as he apparently loved it so much??

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 6/11/2012 9:59:24 AM >

Post #: 4
That looks absolutely f!#?ng fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... - 6/11/2012 9:54:17 AM   
mclane1

Ive read the book, looking at that footage I dont give a shit if its faithfull to the book. It looks awesome, like aliens meets dawn of the dead- am stunned by just how much that got me excited. Cant wait!!!!!!!!

Post #: 5
WOW! - 6/11/2012 10:05:03 AM   
willy2fly

This looks epic so far. Love the book and cant wait for this movie. A couple of commentators have said they dont like the running zombies and the zombie 'tsunami' seen in the teaser. I think this is fantastic, giving them a unnatural, unstoppable terror often missing from zombie films. Also, theMax Brooks are hyper real so people should consider that the zombies will start out fast (beginning of outbreak) then grow slower as time passes. The book covers the apocalypse from beginning to end and i have it on good authority the zombies get slower and easier to deal with, thus facilitating said fight back.

Post #: 6
RE: WOW! - 6/11/2012 10:29:09 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: willy2fly

This looks epic so far. Love the book and cant wait for this movie. A couple of commentators have said they dont like the running zombies and the zombie 'tsunami' seen in the teaser. I think this is fantastic, giving them a unnatural, unstoppable terror often missing from zombie films. Also, theMax Brooks are hyper real so people should consider that the zombies will start out fast (beginning of outbreak) then grow slower as time passes. The book covers the apocalypse from beginning to end and i have it on good authority the zombies get slower and easier to deal with, thus facilitating said fight back.

I suppose it depends what you were hoping for from this film. I was hoping for a large budget, epic style movie that was genuinely scary.

The Walking Dead series has proved over the last couple of years that you can have a genuinely scary, incredibly gory in places and well written look at a zombie apocalypse from a character focus point of view and I hoped this would be the same. I always liked that the book was about people’s and by default society and governments reactions to the ‘Zack’ as opposed to the Zack themselves.

I know its early footage but this looks more ‘oooo explosions and running’ and poor poor unrealistic zombies…an American 28 Days Later actually just with added shitness!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to willy2fly)
Post #: 7
Have they actually read the book?? - 6/11/2012 10:34:35 AM   
420Phil

What the hell was that?!?! Looks like an awesome zombie film but from the looks of it, this is just fast zombie film with the title of an incredible book. I don't mind when things are a little different from the original, but this just shares a name, and an undead theme. I was so excited about this film after hearing they were going to make a film of World War Z, I never realised it was simply a film CALLED World War Z. Brad Pitt/Marc Foster you have ruined both this year, and next year you fucking dicks! Leave Max Brooks alone!

Post #: 8
RE: WOW! - 6/11/2012 10:35:16 AM   
pump_action

willy2fly - It is not a case of not liking fast zombies or zombies that now seem to move with unnatural speed and fluidity. It is simply a case that this type of Zombies did not exist in the original literature and more importantly several key areas of the book rely on the zombies being slow moving.

This may well be an 'awesome'or 'epic' Zombie action movie but it seems to bear little to no resemblance to the original source material so the license is wasted.

(in reply to willy2fly)
Post #: 9
That looks pretty cool. - 6/11/2012 10:48:26 AM   
Nicky C

I'm not usually one for the fast zombies, but the idea that they're like a tidal wave or an army of ants is horribly effective. Hopefully, the reshoots have done the trick and all will be well. I am definitely more interested in this now I've seen some footage. look forward to the proper trailer.

Post #: 10
er, you missed a spot - 6/11/2012 10:48:56 AM   
homesick alien

still seems to me that all involved missed a trick when deciding to make a film rather than a tv series. whilst walking dead is good, wwz is the best text from the genre (imo) and a book that i feel cannot translate onto the big screen format. and just where were all the presidents men?

Post #: 11
someone judged a book by it's cover - 6/11/2012 11:33:25 AM   
jodybriggs

I gotta agree with some of these comments whole heartedly. it's like some exec just saw the cover of the book and thought, wow cool name, i wonder what Brad Pitt is doing this month. The book illustrated beautiful the unwavering nature of these creatures not through full frontal ferocious attacks but by their ambling, indifferent single mindedness. Im making no comment against the film as such but it really does look totally unrelated to it's source material

Post #: 12
- 6/11/2012 12:04:34 PM   
clarkkent

"Only one man can save the world"? HOW exactly can one man save the world from zombies?

That said, while it looks like they've invented a narrative for the film, it does look like some of the shots in that trailer were similar to the events in the book. And the scale of it looks like no zombie movie i've seen before, so fingers crossed that this turns out to be a cool zombie flick, even if it isn't a great adaptation of the book.

Post #: 13
someone judged a film by its teaser... - 6/11/2012 12:14:23 PM   
Moronifighter

I dont know how some of the people can dismiss this on account of a few seconds footage, all the bits which are apparently "missing" could all still be in the finished product, we are only seeing a glimpse and it wouldnt be the first time scenes seen in a trailer so not show up in the finished cut AT ALL!

Post #: 14
RE: someone judged a film by its teaser... - 6/11/2012 12:27:48 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moronifighter

I dont know how some of the people can dismiss this on account of a few seconds footage, all the bits which are apparently "missing" could all still be in the finished product, we are only seeing a glimpse and it wouldnt be the first time scenes seen in a trailer so not show up in the finished cut AT ALL!

I'm not concerned about the bits are missing from the footage; my concern is about the bits that we can see. Looks fackin' awful!! Add to that they have had to go back and re-write and re-shoot most of it as people saw it and thought it was terrible and the footage of *potential spoilers* people being attacked and changing into zombies within seconds from one bite or having blood thrown up on them (ala 28 Days Later) then colour me disappointed! Im not dismissing the final film; just conveying my concerns that this will be a giant pile of bilge!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Moronifighter)
Post #: 15
Oh dear..... - 6/11/2012 9:18:30 PM   
Kimbob2592

Got to say this looks like an awful movie adaption of what is an amazing book. Can't actually see any resemblance to the book at all from this trailer which is sad. The tidal wave of zombies is pretty ridiculous too, too far fetched for me to watch without bursting into a fit of laughter. It looks like a tentacle of the undead reaching up a wall at one point! This is one book to movie adaption I don't think I'll be wasting my time with.

Post #: 16
Oh Dear? - 7/11/2012 9:39:42 AM   
tim198129

Kimbob, is it really "too far fetched" for a Zombie Apocalypse movie?

I haven't read the book, but found that teaser very entertainingand im looking forward to the trailer now,

Post #: 17
Oh Dear? - 7/11/2012 9:42:38 AM   
tim198129

I haven't read the book, but found that teaser very entertainingand im looking forward to the trailer now,

Post #: 18
RE: Oh Dear? - 7/11/2012 12:53:27 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: tim198129

Yes it is; if you had read the book you would understand why.

To explain; the book was different to other material about Zombies as it looked at the whole apocalypse from a governmental, medical, satirical point of view. Including doctors notes, interviews with soldiers etc. It treated the apocalypse seriously; putting aside anything fantastical so it came across as realistic and genuinely scary as a result.

A tidal wave of cgi zombies WWZ isn't.

Would wholey recommend the book though; its a great read and would probably help explain a few peoples reactions to the trailer

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 7/11/2012 12:55:32 PM >

(in reply to tim198129)
Post #: 19
RE: Oh Dear? - 7/11/2012 2:38:13 PM   
Dannybohy

This one has passed me by completely ! just watched that footage! ive got zombie wood! looking forward to this :)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 20
having wacthed this again i change my previous reaction... - 7/11/2012 3:32:51 PM   
mclane1

those shots of the crowds of zombies almost like fluid just spooks the shit out of me. cant wait for this beauty. I may need Valium for the full trailer!

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> First Footage From World War Z Online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI