Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harrison Ford - 6/11/2012 6:15:40 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The torch should be passed - 6/11/2012 6:15:40 AM   
Swking1135

First a correction-Harrison Ford did want to see Han Solo die and sacrifice himself for his friends...in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. The director of the film agreed. Lucas however did not. Hence,Han Solo was resecued in the opening of RETURN OF THE JEDI.
The torch should be passed by the the original trio of actors. It is the most responsible way of keeping the epic success of the Star Wars movies alive...pick it up with Luke and his Jedi Academy, the twin children of Han and Leia, both Jedis in training...just sayin...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
let's just see what happens - 6/11/2012 7:52:50 AM   
leroythemasochist

to have Ford in someway involved would be great for all us old fans, sure. Solo was, for me, the one who made Star Wars so much fun back in 77. his character was a tonic for all those who thought the whole po-faced Jedi thing was just a bit much. that's one of the reasons the prequels fell so flat a lot of the time. they had no one saying 'yeah, yeah, whatever Jedi-boy...'
the thing to remember is that you need to let others carry on the stories and you need to make sure those new characters are as good as the first ones. it'll be a tall order for sure, Star Wars ain't the only franchise in the galaxy anymore and the prequels proved you can't just put any old wooden top in the lead, give him horrific dialog, boring stories and (at times) some truly ropey effects and expect people to go all weak at the knees.
the first thing they really need is a cracking good story, simple and direct and like Ep4 in tone. what that movie had above all else was a real sense of fun. no franchise right now is doing that - it's all doom, gloom and misery. give us back the good times, the (new) hope, the dream of a rollicking good ride. leave the overblown politics at the door, forget the stupid love story stuff, drop the bits about trade embargoes (or whatever it was) and give us a simple, big, loud, happy story made in some real locations, with some practical (but not exclusively) effects.
it'd be nice to have Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie back for one last time but make sure you get someone that's worth watching.
one last thing...i hate to point this out but by 2015 (and also the fact that he only really likes to work with his friend Steven) will John Williams really be scoring this and the other movies? if not, who on earth could ever be do the job justice?

Post #: 3
Gore Verbinski is the perfect choice to direct Episode VII - 6/11/2012 10:05:26 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

Watch Rango and Curse of the Black Pearl and you'll see what I mean.

Post #: 4
- 6/11/2012 10:27:17 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Could be perfect I mean he's already a cantancarus old git at the best of times & well you could just imagine what an older Han Solo would be like.

Post #: 5
Matthew Vaugn to direct... - 6/11/2012 10:41:15 AM   
waltham1979

I wonder how long before he leaves the film due to creative differences with the studio this time?

Post #: 6
RE: let's just see what happens - 6/11/2012 11:52:52 AM   
domcruise

In re: to John Williams, this has been the question most on my mind. The score really needs to feel like Star Wars for this to be able to work properly. My recommendation would be Michael Giacchino. I know he's already done Star Trek, but he is the composer whose work most resembles John Williams.

Listen to 'Operation Neptune' from Medal Of Honor: Airborne and tell me that doesn't already sound like it was from a Star Wars film. His work on the Medal Of Honor series, Lost and Super 8 more than qualifies him for the job, and as we've seen from his stuff on Star Trek & Mission Impossible, he doesn't mind working the main themes written by previous composers into his scores.

There's my 2 cents anyways.

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 7
An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 12:21:37 PM   
waltham1979

Lucas was restricted in his choice of directors wasn't he for his films as he wasn't part of the Directors or Writers Guild (why Spielberg wasn't able to direct Return of the Jedi I believe). Now that Star Wars is owned by Disney, does this restriction lift? Imagine a StarWars film directed by Nolan or Spielberg?!...*rubs hands together and does manic, deep, scary laugh* hohahaha...

Post #: 8
RE: Harrison Ford - 6/11/2012 1:07:29 PM   
BelfastBoy

Reading between the lines last week, my initial thought on Lucas taking Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill to lunch to talk future Star Wars was a subtle hint that there's more for Luke and Leia to do, maybe even if only in some sort of 'Well kids, this is what happened next' framing device. However, if Harrison Ford could also be involved, well...not holding my breath but that would be too much to hope for. Some thoughts on the article though:

- Ford, as everyone knows, has always been somewhat reticent and taciturn; as he's got older he's also become an increasingly grumpy git as well. The only role I'm aware of him speaking of with any warmth is Indiana Jones. Something iconic like Deckard in Blade Runner was just a miserable experience from start to finish, for example. If he talks about Star Wars at all, it's generally politely distant but distinctly unenthusiastic - it's biggest purpose for him was the springboard to bigger and better things. I can understand why he'd want to return as Indy, but just can't see a return for Han Solo being something he'd be interested in. (Come on Harrison, prove me wrong though! Han would be brilliant as a grumpy old man!)

- Matthew Vaughn is seemingly linked with every fantasy / scifi possibility these days, but the only person who delivers less than him on potential is Guillermo Del Toro!

Post #: 9
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 1:24:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Lucas was restricted in his choice of directors wasn't he for his films as he wasn't part of the Directors or Writers Guild (why Spielberg wasn't able to direct Return of the Jedi I believe). Now that Star Wars is owned by Disney, does this restriction lift? Imagine a StarWars film directed by Nolan or Spielberg?!...*rubs hands together and does manic, deep, scary laugh* hohahaha...

God I hope not. I'm a fan of Nolan's work but I can't see his film making style lending itself well to the SW universe. As for Spielberg, Tin Tin aside he hasn't made anything worthy of his reputation for about a decade (since Catch Me If You Can).

I'll be surprised if a big name gets attached to Ep VII. For one thing it's not needed, this would make a billion dollars with Uwe Boll at the helm and secondly the nature of the project pretty much dictates a hack for hire approach IMO (pretty much like Bond over the years) as they have to tonally match with the previous films, something an established director might not be happy adhering to.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 10
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 1:32:02 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
this would make a billion dollars with Uwe Boll at the helm

I would LOVE to see what Boll would do with it.

Not through any perverse desire to see the superfans get shat on (again), but just through sheer fascination and curiosity as to what a Boll Star Wars film would be like...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 11
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 1:49:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Not through any perverse desire to see the superfans get shat on (again), but just through sheer fascination and curiosity as to what a Boll Star Wars film would be like...

It would be glorious.

And couldn't possibly be any worse than the prequels anyway

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 12
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 1:51:14 PM   
MonsterCat

Gimli would love it at least.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 13
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 3:18:10 PM   
Osric

Can you actually have a pit sized heap? Aren;t they sort of opposites? You'd want a heap that was the size of another heap. A Jabba-sized heap maybe.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
- 6/11/2012 3:32:29 PM   
combourg

Correct me if I'm wrong don't we know already? I thought the next 3 books were already written? Therefore if people do that old fashioned thing called 'read a book' we can find out!
Again, I sit to be corrected!

Post #: 15
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 3:59:10 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

It would be glorious.

And couldn't possibly be any worse than the prequels anyway

It would, because it;s not like /lucas had no idea what he wanted to do, he just didn't discriminate enough as to which of his ideas should drive the films and as a result tried to attach equal narrative importance to them all.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 16
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 4:14:34 PM   
jonson

It'd be quite cool if he'd actually lost the Millenium Falcon in a bet and was cruising the galaxy in a really large fridge.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 17
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 4:43:20 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

It'd be quite cool if he'd actually lost the Millenium Falcon in a bet and was cruising the galaxy in a really large fridge.

I just had an amazing, spectacular yet horrific thought...can you imagine Star Wars directed by Micheal Bay?!

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 6/11/2012 4:55:15 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 18
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 5:03:57 PM   
jonson

At least we'd get to see more of Princess Leia's arse.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 19
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 6:05:14 PM   
Private Hudson

Would it not be sensible to get a journeyman but experienced director like Kershner & Marquand were rather than a 'visionary' or 'auteur' who might try and put too much of their own style on the movies?

I would let the new powers that be to get someone like Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Captain America) or Simon Wincer (The Phantom) to give it a go. Even some of the Bond directors such as Roger Spottiswoode, Lee Tamahori and Martin Campbell would be good choices.

I would not go for Tim Burton, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes, Spielberg, Bay, Del Toro, Peter Jackson or James Cameron.

Star Wars is bigger than the director, so to speak. The ideas and the FX are what people go to see allied to a story which is original, creative and has lots of humour in it.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 20
RE: An epihpany if you will... - 6/11/2012 6:19:07 PM   
Osric

Genndy Tartakovsky will get it - you wait and see.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 21
Ford's a businessman - 7/11/2012 1:58:51 PM   
chris wootton

If he's offered a shit ton of money to play Solo again.. he will.. who wouldn't?

Post #: 22
RE: Ford's a businessman - 9/11/2012 3:03:39 PM   
fasbinder_62

Why is it a given that George Lucas won't direct, is that the terms of the Disney deal?
Unless it's written by George Lucas and following his vision it's a pointless endeavour.

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 23
Blomkamp could direct. - 11/11/2012 11:58:08 PM   
GUYGUR

Why not pass on the directing duties to Neil Blomkamp?
District 9 was great fun, he has proven he can do sci-fi.
What i liked best about that film is it worked on a few levels, comically, emotionally and it had some good action sequences too, he also got the political tones of that movie right, no boring trade embargoes like the star wars prequels, Best of all it was fun which is what Star Wars should be
Imagine what he could do with a big budget!!

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Harrison Ford Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI