Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Home Appliances Advice Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Home Appliances Advice Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 10:37:03 AM   
Timon

So after five years of hanging my wet clothes on a clothes horse in the spare room and having it smell of damp, I've decided to get a tumble dryer. Also, the drop in temperature means my clothes are taking an age to dry.

I was just wondering if you guys can recommend a good model (it would have to be one that doesn't require an out vent) and a cheap retailer. Unfortunately Comet don't appear to be having a firesale...

Also, if you do suggest somewhere like Argos, please provide any known discount codes. What? I'm cheap.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 10:43:05 AM   
Shifty Bench

How cheap? What is your price-range?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 10:50:19 AM   
Timon

As with all things, no price is too low.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 10:50:39 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I used to have a tumble dryer but got rid of it as it was really expensive to run. Went back to drying my stuff indoors

I've got one of those old fashioned drying lines over the bath and my clothes dry like a treat on that (and it's out of the way)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:00:16 AM   
Timon

Our bathroom is too small. We have a line in the garden during the summer, but at the moment they just take too long to dry and with my clothes, my girlfriend's and assorted dog towels/sheets etc, we're running out of room. Plus all the wet clothes is making the house just smell 'dampy'.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 5
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:01:30 AM   
Hobbitonlass

That's fair enough and it is just me so not as many clothes

I don't have a garden and that's one of the biggest things I miss, not having that dried outside smell.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:03:31 AM   
Shifty Bench

You can probably get a refurbished one somewhere. You are not going to get a brand new one for less than 100, I wouldn't think.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:06:42 AM   
jonson

As this is my line, I would suggest going for Bosch or preferably Siemens (same company actually - Siemens have changed their range more recently - it's an excellent tumble dryer)
Can you vent it? If not you'll need a condensor dryer.

And don't buy shit. Don't buy from Argos. If it hasn't got a reputable maintenance sevice (ie their own vans rather than subbing out to a local wahsing machine repair man) don't bother, seriously.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 8
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:06:46 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm no expert in this. But I think if you are used to drying clothes at a laundrette in 30 minutes, you'll be sadly disappointed at the performance of its household cousin unless you spend a lot of money.

Yes you will have removed the clothes horse issue, but you will spend an age loading a few items into the dryer every hour. I've got one, but I hardly ever use it.

Your best bet on cheap might be if you can find a local place (usually around the back of an industrial estate) that picks up shop-spoiled gear. This is the way I could afford top of the range Neff kitchen equipment at the cheapest price. Yes, the oven has a tiny dent in it, but the way I look at it I'd have probably managed to cause that myself in a week, even if it hadn't been there.

Post #: 9
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:10:26 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
And don't buy shit. Don't buy from Argos. If it hasn't got a reputable maintenance sevice (ie their own vans rather than subbing out to a local wahsing machine repair man) don't bother, seriously.

As someone who worked for them, I agree. Their stuff is shit and they know it. The amount of faulty returns the store I worked for got each week (TVs mostly) was ridiculous.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/11/2012 11:53:48 AM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 10
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:10:44 AM   
Timon

quote:

As this is my line, I would suggest going for Bosch or preferably Siemens (same company actually - Siemens have changed their range more recently - it's an excellent tumble dryer)
Can you vent it? If not you'll need a condensor dryer.

Yeah, i'll need a condensor dryer... how does that change things? More expensive? Less efficient?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 11
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 11:50:56 AM   
jonson

Slightly more epxensive, slightly less efficient, and you have to empty the water container every now and again, but no hole through the wall.
Vented is better but sometimes you just can't do that.
To be honest we survived without one for years, but then we moved house, the missus bought one and loved it (really helpful with the school uniform wash at night and dry immediately)
She doens't use it as much now as she covers the Aga in clothes (then moans at me when I do fried eggs and the clothes smell of farts )

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 5/11/2012 12:39:19 PM   
great_badir

If you can place it near a window, you can always just get one with a hose that hangs out the window, like we have.

Unfortunately though, what Hobbintonlass said above regarding running costs is true - even the A rated ones cost a relative fortune to run, compared to what they do, so if you're going to be using it daily it is worth considering other alternatives (a launderette would probably actually work out cheaper). If, however, you're only going to be using it a couple of times a week, then they are a good investment.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 13
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 9/11/2012 9:49:19 AM   
elab49

Ditto Badir - our hose just hangs out the window so it's just a matter of placement.

I hadn't realised Bosch was also Siemens.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 14
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 9/11/2012 11:14:55 AM   
Chief

I've always used a tumble dryer until recently. My last house was plumbed for one with a hose going outside and it was great. Then when I moved I had to get a condenser. Bought a cheap one (Beko) and it was shit. Then the belt snapped, I replaced it, it snapped again and I replaced it again, then there was no heat. It's not been on since then and my electricity bill has went down 30 per month.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 9/11/2012 5:41:07 PM   
Hood_Man

If you want good deals on home appliances you can't go wrong with Argos. Although I can't afford one myself, my mum uses one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4810447.htm

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 9/11/2012 5:53:55 PM   
jonson

So she likes to start the day by spreading some butter on a black helmet.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 9/11/2012 6:05:28 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

So she likes to start the day by spreading some butter on a black helmet.

And whaddya know, a google image search of butter black helmet does in fact have that as a result as soon as page 2

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 18
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 12/11/2012 5:16:19 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

If you can place it near a window, you can always just get one with a hose that hangs out the window, like we have.

Surely that's bloody freezing these days?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 19
RE: Home Appliances Advice Thread - 14/11/2012 5:54:03 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Surely that's bloody freezing these days?

Pussy Southerner.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Home Appliances Advice Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI