Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 14/11/2012 9:09:51 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

The more I think about this the more I see Affleck as becoming more of a George Clooney like director blending politics and genre asphtics.

I can't agree with that as they both have very little output as directors. In fact I think Afflecks output is better than Clooney's. It's too early in both of their directorial careers to state they are political genre film makers also. To say he is becoming more like George Clooney when (in my eyes) he's only made two note worthy films Goodnight and Good luck (which I personally wasn't all that enamoured by) and the impressive Ides of March is verging on ludicrous.

I don't think to make a prediction is ludicrous both have now made three maybe four films in the case of Clooney, and its not like I said it would pan out that, its just I can see a link. I also love how you priase two of Clooney's films and then claim how his work is not that impressive. If he has only made less than a handful of films and you like two of them it sounds pretty promising.

I actually only praised one of Clooney's films if you had read it properly. I can see the qualities of Goodnight but I didn't think it deserved the high praise it recieved.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 31
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 14/11/2012 3:32:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

To compare the work of Ben Affleck with George Clooney's work is difficult, as they are both fundamentally different in their approach. Although both are obviously talented writer/directors, with a high intelligence factor in their work, and seem able to bring out the best in their casts, Clooney's work is much more cerebral, while Affleck has a definite talent with action. I like them both equally, but for very different reasons. Their films have all fulfilled the criteria that I look for in a satisfying film. There aren't all that many directors whose films I would view simply because that particular director is involved, but in the case of both Affleck and Clooney I would take the risk.

Well I find that last bit a bit of a sweeping statement. I personally can think of tones of directors whose movies I would watch ahead of their work. Also with each only having done a few films is it not a bit early to feel that way?

Its harder for me to judge Affleck as so far I have only seen the Town which again I struggle to see the love for. However Argo does grab my attention and I look forward to seeing it.

I also see a link between Cooney and Affleck just by their films Confessions of a Dangeous Mind and Argo, both just seem to have that too odd to be to make up feel to them, and seem like simler ideas.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 32
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 16/11/2012 7:58:25 AM   
siegfried

PLease explain why it's a sweeping statement. How many films does a director have to make before it becomes clear that here is a potential major talent? I have seen all of Ben Affleck's and George Clooney's films, and without exception they have fulfilled the criteria that I look for to make a film a very worthwhile experience.
On the other hand, there are many directors, some of whom have very high reputations, whose work I approach with caution because to me their work has been inconsistent, and I would certainly include Eastwood among them.
Until either Clooney or Affleck turns out a film which I feel falls short of what I've come to expect of them, I will continue to make a point of seeing their films without feeling the need to check on what either the critical or public reaction is first.
Does that make me more or less discerning than you? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 33
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 16/11/2012 3:40:41 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Apart from the fact they're both actors-turned-directors, I don't think Affleck and Eastwood have much in common to be honest.

They both really like Dennis Lehane's novels.

Enough to turn them into films, anyway.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 34
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 16/11/2012 11:03:04 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Apart from the fact they're both actors-turned-directors, I don't think Affleck and Eastwood have much in common to be honest.

They both really like Dennis Lehane's novels.

Enough to turn them into films, anyway.

And to be honest, of the films that they have made based on Dennis Lehane's novels, I prefer Gone Baby Gone to Mystic River.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 35
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 22/11/2012 10:51:42 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

PLease explain why it's a sweeping statement. How many films does a director have to make before it becomes clear that here is a potential major talent? I have seen all of Ben Affleck's and George Clooney's films, and without exception they have fulfilled the criteria that I look for to make a film a very worthwhile experience.
On the other hand, there are many directors, some of whom have very high reputations, whose work I approach with caution because to me their work has been inconsistent, and I would certainly include Eastwood among them.
Until either Clooney or Affleck turns out a film which I feel falls short of what I've come to expect of them, I will continue to make a point of seeing their films without feeling the need to check on what either the critical or public reaction is first.
Does that make me more or less discerning than you? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Original

You might have a point but unless you have loved all of Affleck's films so far then I do think three maybe is a bit early for that kind of statement, still maybe a took it the wrong way thinking that you claiming Affleck to be a great or a great in the making, fair enough if I misread it.

Also didn't Clooney direct Leatherheads?

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 36
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 3/12/2012 9:35:54 AM   
Saltire

Affleck has a long long long way to go to be put into the same category as the great (though flawed) Clint Eastwood.

Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI