Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 9:46:56 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Clint Eastwood has proven that actors can turn their hands at film making in spectacular fashion (Pale Rider, Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, Changeling, Mystic River) but having seen the brilliant Argo at the Leeds Film Festival last night I am coming to the conclusion (albeit at the early stages of his career) that Ben Affleck will take over the reigns from Eastwood when he retires, in terms of actor comes good as an extremely gifted director.

He has already made three great films in Argo, Gone Baby Gone and The Town (also writer of the last two as well as co-writer of Good Will Hunting) and I reckon he will continue this rich vein of form in film making.

What do you think of Affleck taking over Eastwood's mantle as Actor turned great Director?

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 2/11/2012 10:58:24 AM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5
Post #: 1
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 10:10:22 AM   
boaby

The only person capable of being Clint Eastwood is Marty McFly.

Until Affleck makes a film with an Orangutan, a western worthy of the name and gets confused by an empty chair then he's just Matt Damon's less talented mate.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 10:54:48 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

I disagree about Affleck being Damon's less talented mate. OK he isn't as good in the acting stakes but in all other aspects of filmmaking Affleck is far superior. Damon hasn't directed or written a film in his own right, unlike Affleck, hence why I'm putting him in the same bracket as Eastwood (but as previously stated Affleck is early in his career in terms of director).

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 10:59:04 AM   
Dannybohy

He should stop fuckin around with cameras and get the Red leather back on!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 4
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 11:01:27 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Aye, I wish he'd stop dragging his feet and give us that Gigli sequel too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 11:14:40 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Affleck was never a truly terrible actor, he was just average.
But he has certainly found his creative eye behind the camera and it seems,at this moment,to be coming up trumps.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 11:17:31 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Affleck was never a truly terrible actor, he was just average.
But he has certainly found his creative eye behind the camera and it seems,at this moment,to be coming up trumps.

Agreed, 100%

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 4:03:51 PM   
matty_b

Apart from the fact they're both actors-turned-directors, I don't think Affleck and Eastwood have much in common to be honest.

When Eastwood started directing, he had a very identifiable persona and a lot of his directorial output has been about playing with that and deconstructing the genre he was most famous for. Even his poorer films are exploring that to a degree - Gran Torino for example.

Affleck, as much as I really rate him, doesn't have that - yet. He's displayed a great aptitude for capturing a certain blue-collar existence and has handled two great thrillers very confidently (yet to see Argo), but I don't think he's made anything as interesting as Eastwood's best films yet.

I want to stress that this isn't to be down on Affleck, I've loved his first two films and have high hopes for Argo, I'm just not sure a comparison with Eastwood is valid other than some surface similarities.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 8
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 6:28:13 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I see where you're coming from but I just stating that Affleck could become the equivalent of Eastwood in terms of directorial output based on the start of his directing career. I'm in no way suggesting he's in Eastwood's league as yet but I do think he will get in that league if he continues in the form he's presently going in.

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 6:51:24 PM   
matty_b

Yes, I think you could be right. Here's hoping, at any rate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 10
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 2/11/2012 7:34:54 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

I see where you're coming from but I just stating that Affleck could become the equivalent of Eastwood in terms of directorial output based on the start of his directing career. I'm in no way suggesting he's in Eastwood's league as yet but I do think he will get in that league if he continues in the form he's presently going in.

Indeed - although I've yet to see Argo. If he broadens his range a bit he'll probably outmatch Clint quite easily in a few years.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 11
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 3/11/2012 10:47:01 PM   
ElephantBoy

It is too early in Affleck's directing career to really compare his work with anyones. Seems he is more ambitious as far as subject matter goes at this early stage than Clint was. I give him credit for that at least.

Have only seen one of his three films so far which was the Town and really didn't see what the fuss was about. It was weakened by Affleck's ego and the way he had to be at the center of every scene pretty much and overshadow the story and fine supporting cast. It was pretty stylish in places, but still a routine thriller. Argo is an exciting idea, so will give it a look.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 4/11/2012 2:17:32 PM   
vad3r

Eastwood has had a great directorial career with the likes of:

Changeling
Flags of Our Fathers
Gran Torino
Letter From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Unforgiven

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 4/11/2012 4:44:59 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Changeling
Flags of Our Fathers
Gran Torino

Letter From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Unforgiven

Sarcasm?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 4/11/2012 6:19:49 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Changeling
Flags of Our Fathers
Gran Torino

Letter From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Unforgiven

Sarcasm?

No, are you being sarcastic? Changeling is a genuinely great film.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 4/11/2012 7:00:04 PM   
Deviation

It would have been if it was more consistent and didn't change tone every 3 seconds.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 4/11/2012 9:39:11 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Aye, I wish he'd stop dragging his feet and give us that Gigli sequel too.

I think you're both missing the bigger picture here. Clearly a sequel to Surviving Christmas is the way to go.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 6/11/2012 10:42:20 AM   
thedrin

I hope not. I've only seen one Affleck film; Gone Baby Gone, and it was far more interesting and entertaining than anything I've seen directed by Eastwood. Eastwood is a technically excellent director but dull as ditchwater.

I didn't realise that The Town was held in such high esteem or that it was directed by Affleck. I've been looking forward to the adaption of the story behind Argo since before I found out there would be an adaption.

Post #: 18
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 6/11/2012 12:26:33 PM   
Coyleone

Well, Gone Baby Gone was a brilliant thriller, and I loved The Town. Argo looks great and has a great story behind it. Affleck is becoming one of the directors to watch in hollywood I think.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 19
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 7/11/2012 1:32:19 PM   
Dannybohy

eastwood is a great Director. Acting on the other hand?. Even his self directed movies would of been better with another actor, he went and caught what I call `Costner Syndrome`.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 20
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 7/11/2012 7:42:29 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Well, Gone Baby Gone was a brilliant thriller, and I loved The Town. Argo looks great and has a great story behind it. Affleck is becoming one of the directors to watch in hollywood I think.

I agree. And I do hope he takes on The Stand.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 9/11/2012 11:00:02 AM   
ElephantBoy

I do like some of Eastwoods filmsnas director, not least some of the more recent serious films and Unforgiven, its just most of the Westerns I don't really rate.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 22
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 9/11/2012 10:51:47 PM   
siegfried

I do hope that Ben Affleck is not becoming the next Clint Eastwood, because with a very few exceptions (Unforgiven and Changeling among them) I've been completely underwhelmed by most of Eastwood's output.
Affleck, on the other hand, appears to be going from strength to strength, not only as a writer/director but also as an actor.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 23
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 10/11/2012 12:29:49 PM   
Rhubarb

Did anyone see Daniel Day-Lewis BAFTA speech the other night? He's the new Clint.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 24
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 10/11/2012 1:47:01 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Did anyone see Daniel Day-Lewis BAFTA speech the other night? He's the new Clint.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 25
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 12/11/2012 7:38:56 PM   
ElephantBoy

The more I think about this the more I see Affleck as becoming more of a George Clooney like director blending politics and genre asphtics.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 26
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 13/11/2012 9:24:09 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

The more I think about this the more I see Affleck as becoming more of a George Clooney like director blending politics and genre asphtics.

I can't agree with that as they both have very little output as directors. In fact I think Afflecks output is better than Clooney's. It's too early in both of their directorial careers to state they are political genre film makers also. To say he is becoming more like George Clooney when (in my eyes) he's only made two note worthy films Goodnight and Good luck (which I personally wasn't all that enamoured by) and the impressive Ides of March is verging on ludicrous.

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

Post #: 27
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 13/11/2012 11:05:08 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I do hope that Ben Affleck is not becoming the next Clint Eastwood, because with a very few exceptions (Unforgiven and Changeling among them) I've been completely underwhelmed by most of Eastwood's output.
Affleck, on the other hand, appears to be going from strength to strength, not only as a writer/director but also as an actor.

I'm surprised you feel that way about Clint, personally i feel he has made more excellent films than the one's you have cited.

His earlier efforts especially the weserns such as The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider are superb films. In particular Josey Wales which is one of my favourite westerns and a really enjoyable picture. He also did a magnificent job on Letters and Flags, the former in particular is a sublime and moving film. And of course his masterpiece which you have mentioned; Unforgiven which is absolutely brilliant. A perfect swan song to a genre he helped shape over the years. He is a terrific director and one i hold in high regard. Ben Affleck can only dream of filling his shoes.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 28
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 13/11/2012 2:03:13 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I can't agree with that as they both have very little output as directors. In fact I think Afflecks output is better than Clooney's. It's too early in both of their directorial careers to state they are political genre film makers also. To say he is becoming more like George Clooney when (in my eyes) he's only made two note worthy films Goodnight and Good luck (which I personally wasn't all that enamoured by) and the impressive Ides of March is verging on ludicrous.

I don't think to make a prediction is ludicrous both have now made three maybe four films in the case of Clooney, and its not like I said it would pan out that, its just I can see a link. I also love how you priase two of Clooney's films and then claim how his work is not that impressive. If he has only made less than a handful of films and you like two of them it sounds pretty promising.

Post #: 29
RE: Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? - 13/11/2012 11:33:00 PM   
siegfried

To compare the work of Ben Affleck with George Clooney's work is difficult, as they are both fundamentally different in their approach. Although both are obviously talented writer/directors, with a high intelligence factor in their work, and seem able to bring out the best in their casts, Clooney's work is much more cerebral, while Affleck has a definite talent with action. I like them both equally, but for very different reasons. Their films have all fulfilled the criteria that I look for in a satisfying film. There aren't all that many directors whose films I would view simply because that particular director is involved, but in the case of both Affleck and Clooney I would take the risk.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Is Affleck becoming the next Eastwood? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI