Inevitable disaster

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Inevitable disaster Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inevitable disaster - 1/11/2012 3:43:39 PM   
Boyden

Either critically between fans and critics or at the box office...Star Wars Episode 7 (sad but true), Robocop remake, John Carter etc etc

Someone needs to take the green light away from these executives
Post #: 1
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 9:02:23 AM   
xzynomorpher

Titanic, Avatar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 2
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 9:23:20 AM   
Dannybohy

I think most star wars fans will be happy with a new movie, and those that are not are arseholes. This will be a new starwars story , not a reboot
Robocop is a reboot of a movie that does not and should not be rebooted
John Carter was actually a good movie, I was pleasantly surprised and my kids loved it. i think a large majority of people who slate it haven't even seen it

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to xzynomorpher)
Post #: 3
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 12:42:20 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I think most star wars fans will be happy with a new movie, and those that are not are arseholes. This will be a new starwars story , not a reboot
John Carter was actually a good movie, I was pleasantly surprised and my kids loved it. i think a large majority of people who slate it haven't even seen it

Yoy say that now about Star Wars but once Ep7 has came out and disappointed most  people it will be came back Mr Lucas please. The Robocop remake yes might not work but wait and watched it first and as for John Carter sorry but it was crap and Yes I did sit and watch it.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 4
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 12:57:37 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Yoy say that now about Star Wars but once Ep7 has came out and disappointed most  people it will be came back Mr Lucas please. The Robocop remake yes might not work but wait and watched it first and as for John Carter sorry but it was crap and Yes I did sit and watch it.

I will put my glove down now and say that no one is going to say come back Mr Lucas, except maybe a lonely out of work ewok.
I can't Judge the Robot Remake obviously, only comment that its unnecessary and early indications are not good.
John Carter is what it is, a good little sci-fi movie made for kids, I doubt it was made for an elder and such discerning viewer as yourself.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 5
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 1:04:13 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

quote:

I will put my glove down now and say that no one is going to say come back Mr Lucas, except maybe a lonely out of work ewok.
I can't Judge the Robot Remake obviously, only comment that its unnecessary and early indications are not good.
John Carter is what it is, a good little sci-fi movie made for kids, I doubt it was made for an elder and such discerning viewer as yourself.

Hey I am only 31 years old I just found John Carter boring. Would rather watch Jurassic Park.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 6
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 1:10:01 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

John Carter was seriously boring and rubbish.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 7
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 1:26:30 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey I am only 31 years old I just found John Carter boring. Would rather watch Jurassic Park.

Why bring dinosaurs into this!. I'd rather watch Jurassic park too.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 8
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 5:40:26 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boyden

Either critically between fans and critics or at the box office...Star Wars Episode 7 (sad but true), Robocop remake, John Carter etc etc

Someone needs to take the green light away from these executives

You don't know that.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 9
RE: Inevitable disaster - 2/11/2012 7:18:35 PM   
chris kilby

If you think a film (or anything else) will be an "inevitable disaster," then it probably will be. For you. It's called prejudice - "a judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without due examination; bias; injury; disadvantage." And it's my favourite thing about t'internet culture.

Look at some of the howling negativity Skyfall's trailers inspired. Some eejits were very quick to condemn a 2 1/2 hour movie, sight unseen, on the basis of a 2 minute trailer. Now everyone's saying it's "The best Bond movie ever." Which is also a bit premature, of course.

I prefer to retain an open mind meself and wait till I've actually seen something before passing judgement on it. If I think I won't like something (time and money being valuable and increasingly finite commodities) then I simply avoid them. I'm not a masochist. I am, however, one of life's wide-eyed optimists and always hope for the best although I am also aware of the obvious pitfalls of unrealistically sky-high expectations - The Phantom Menace, Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises, etc. I'm kinda funny that way.

And happier, I think, than those poor unfortunates who seem to go through life in a state of permanent outrage about everything. It's easy to offend people who want and expect to be offended all the time. Who needs the grief? It is only a movie.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 2/11/2012 7:22:14 PM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 10
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 1:33:59 PM   
Boyden

I dont want to come across as being in permanent outrage or having a half empty glass, but I feel there are certain things that can be predicted. Hey, who knows, I might be wrong about Episode 7 etc etc, but the way I look at it, there have been too many times in the past when I have been hugely let down by things that should/could have been done so much better. The Phantom Menace IS a complete disaster, same goes for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Hopefully Disney get it right, but I just dont see it satisfying Star Wars fans which is a great shame because you can already feel the (forced?) optimism on the web.

My point is, that any seasoned film fan should be able to see past the hype/blind faith, and spot a dud before they watch it, and avoid feeling the gruelling dissapointment I felt when Jar Jar first walked on screen and kicked an entire generation of movie fans in the balls. It isnt prejudice, it's good judgement and good common sense.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 11
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 1:47:13 PM   
great_badir

quote:

My point is, that any seasoned film fan should be able to see past the hype/blind faith, and spot a dud before they watch it, and avoid feeling the gruelling dissapointment I felt when Jar Jar first walked on screen and kicked an entire generation of movie fans in the balls. It isnt prejudice, it's good judgement and good common sense.

I basically agree with you, BUT...

Let's not forget that the main problems with all of the Star Wars films is/was George Lucas. He had the least involvement with Empire, Empire is the best film. Episodes 1 to 3 were pretty much Lucas flying completely solo, and they suck the biggest balls. Lucas is a great ideas and business man, but his talents don't go too much further.

With Lucas now out of the picture (although the cynical part of my brain - which is most of it - still thinks he WILL muscle his way back into the writer/director chair, but that's a different discussion), then there is every chance this re-boot/new saga/creatively different continuation of the story (whatever you want to call it and whatever it ends up being) could come out okay and be empty of all the negatives from the previous films - awful dialogue, clunky characterisation, cute kids with growing pains, cute animals etc etc etc (I'm mostly thinking about episodes 1 to 3 there).

Although I like episodes 4 to 6, I am not a superfan or SW geek, so this news neither excites nor angers me - I'm happy to wait and see what comes out. If it sucks, it won't be a massive surprise. But if it's good...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 8/11/2012 1:48:13 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 12
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 1:50:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't say John Carter is made for kids, i'd say it's made for the Avatar crowd, which was a wide array of generations.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 13
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 2:04:45 PM   
Boyden

Agreed on Empire, the best by a margin, and I like New Hope + Jedi, but thats the point, so far there has been more bad Star Wars than good (Ewok movie and Holiday Special, Clone Wars, Prequels etc).

It is very difficult as a fan of a seris of movies to keep your expectations THIS low, but by god I am trying my best.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 14
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 2:13:01 PM   
Dannybohy

For whats it worth. I agree on EMPIRE and pretty much on the same page RE everything else. After the recent movies, my expectations are very low, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 15
RE: Inevitable disaster - 8/11/2012 9:38:57 PM   
Mister Coe

No cast announced, no director, no scriptwriter, we're not gonna see it for nearly three years...

And people are still talking about how shit STAR WARS - EP 7 is gonna be?

Wow. Just... wow.

Say what now?

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 16
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 12:26:04 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

I dont want to come across as being in permanent outrage or having a half empty glass, but I feel there are certain things that can be predicted. Hey, who knows, I might be wrong about Episode 7 etc etc, but the way I look at it, there have been too many times in the past when I have been hugely let down by things that should/could have been done so much better. The Phantom Menace IS a complete disaster, same goes for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Hopefully Disney get it right, but I just dont see it satisfying Star Wars fans which is a great shame because you can already feel the (forced?) optimism on the web.

I love how there are people on the internet that are of the belief that EVERYONE hated the SW prequels.They were only some of the biggest box office hits of the past decade and thrilled a whole new generation of SW fans.The Clone wars tv series is very successful and SW is more popular than ever.

Im optimistic about a new trilogy but will miss Lucas's involvement.The man IS Star Wars and i hope his successors do him proud and make some great films that will hopefully be as good as the previous six.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 17
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 12:36:55 PM   
sanchia

Lucas is going to be a consultant though and he didn't write Empire or Jedi so this isn't going to be completely Lucas light.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 18
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 12:56:38 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
Lucas is going to be a consultant though and he didn't write Empire or Jedi so this isn't going to be completely Lucas light.

He basically DID direct Jedi though, didn't he? I mean the film, even though it is in my opinion the best designed of the entire saga so far, is 75% Lucas isn't it?

He was also co-writer on Jedi (the Ewoks are 100% Lucas - Lawrence Kasdan originally had them going to the Wookie planet [so you can imagine what that battle would've been like in comparison], which Lucas changed to Ewoks, for whatever bloody reason).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 1:53:16 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

He basically DID direct Jedi though, didn't he? I mean the film, even though it is in my opinion the best designed of the entire saga so far, is 75% Lucas isn't it?

He was also co-writer on Jedi (the Ewoks are 100% Lucas - Lawrence Kasdan originally had them going to the Wookie planet [so you can imagine what that battle would've been like in comparison], which Lucas changed to Ewoks, for whatever bloody reason).

It was actually smart of Lucas to change it from Wookies to Ewoks.Wookies are so bad ass that the fight with Stormtroopers would have been over as soon as it began.Having Ewoks instead made them ( and the Rebels ) the underdog.

And Lucas did cowrite ROTJ.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 20
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 2:07:21 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I love how there are people on the internet that are of the belief that EVERYONE hated the SW prequels.They were only some of the biggest box office hits of the past decade

Aaaaaaaand this from the Bond thread -

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

If they are so bad CB then why exactly is the THIRD one in the Craig series looking like it will be the biggest financial hit for the Bond's?

Clearly audiences seem to like Daniel Craig.

Clearly people seem to like the Transformers and Pirates Of The Caribbean films.

Lots of people enjoy these movies,but then lots of people are mad.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 21
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 3:57:21 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I love how there are people on the internet that are of the belief that EVERYONE hated the SW prequels.They were only some of the biggest box office hits of the past decade

quote:

quote:

If they are so bad CB then why exactly is the THIRD one in the Craig series looking like it will be the biggest financial hit for the Bond's?

Clearly people seem to like the Transformers and Pirates Of The Caribbean films.

The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 22
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 4:09:52 PM   
Bad Ash

quote:

quote:

I love how there are people on the internet that are of the belief that EVERYONE hated the SW prequels.They were only some of the biggest box office hits of the past decade and thrilled a whole new generation of SW fans.The Clone wars tv series is very successful and SW is more popular than ever.Im optimistic about a new trilogy but will miss Lucas's involvement.The man IS Star Wars and i hope his successors do him proud and make some great films that will hopefully be as good as the previous six.

I think the prequels were a bit hit and miss myself. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were actually pretty decent films in terms of developing a plot, pacing etc, and in The Phantom Menace they had (in my opinion) two of the best characters from the whole saga in Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jin. But then Lucas royally fucked it up with putting the Gungans in them and by casting quite possibly the most annoying little bastard on this side of the galaxy as Anakin Skywalker! Then, if that wasn't enough, he goes and casts the second most annoying bastard in the galaxy and the number 1 most un-charismatic actor in the same role for the next two movies! I mean WTF George??

That said, Ewan McGregor was great as Obi-Wan Kenobi and only got better as the series progressed, the action scenes (apart from the pod-race) were all great - especially the lightsaber battles between Yoda and Count Dooku in AOTC and the great smackdown at the end of Sith and it was all very pretty! It was a bit hit and miss, but for me it was slightly more of a hit. I can safely say that as I own all three movies and have watched them all numerous times - and enjoyed them (despite the obvious flaws) each time!

I know where the bastard sleeps!

Post #: 23
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 9:20:33 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

quote:

quote:

The lack of self-awareness is breathtaking.

Star Wars isn't Transformers or Pirates Of The Caribbean.

And thanks for that personal insult there Darth.Consider yourself blocked.

Anyway...

Most remakes seen to be disasters in the making.Of the Verhoeven film remakes,it's hard to say which will suck more,Robocop or Starship Troopers.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 24
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 9:24:39 PM   
matty_b

Ha ha, that was an insult? Brilliant.

And your argument makes no sense. Literally. Changing it just to suit the films you actually like just makes it all the more flimsy.

But then, you would know that if you actually tried to engage with anyone who disagrees with you.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 25
RE: Inevitable disaster - 9/11/2012 9:31:49 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Christ, we're back onto time travel again.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Boyden)
Post #: 26
RE: Inevitable disaster - 10/11/2012 9:03:19 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Christ, we're back onto time travel again.

Aye.Apart from assuming everyone has the same opinion as him, boyden is being completely unrealistic about knowing for sure what films will suck.Everyone has different tastes.One persons awful film experience is the opposite.The LOTR films have a big fanbase, personally I didn't care for it but that's just me.

Like I said earlier, I'm not holding out much hope for the Robocop and Starship troopers remakes but I can't rule out the possiblility that a miracle may happen and these films may actually turn out good.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Inevitable disaster Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI