Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 12:55:17 PM   
ripperman

After seeing the incredibly rubbish Silent Hill: Revelation last night I have virtually given up on this hybrid genre. I wonder is there any hope at all for future video game adaptations? Assassin’s Creed and Metal Gear Solid are on the way but what needs to be done for these and future projects to achieve a level of even mild entertainment, to stand on their own as solid pieces of movie making?
Post #: 1
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 1:33:04 PM   
Super Hans

Apart from the first Tomb Raider film and Super Mario Bros, I'm not sure I've acually bothered to watch any videogame adaptions - shit reviews normally inform my decision not to bother!

I think the problem is, is it not just like watching someone play a computer game a lot of the time? Games like Resident Evil/Silent Hill I gather have decent stories, but they're meant to be stories you interact with!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 2
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 1:38:51 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Yes

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 3
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 1:49:33 PM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Apart from the first Tomb Raider film and Super Mario Bros, I'm not sure I've acually bothered to watch any videogame adaptions - shit reviews normally inform my decision not to bother!

I think the problem is, is it not just like watching someone play a computer game a lot of the time? Games like Resident Evil/Silent Hill I gather have decent stories, but they're meant to be stories you interact with!

Yeah I know but for some reason I always give them a go because like you said some of the video games they're based on have a genuinely interesting narrative thread running through them. However I think the latest Silent Hill is the final straw!

I had a discussion about the mechanics of video games and movies on some other thread at some stage as well.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 4
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 1:51:52 PM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Yes

I knew the second I posted that that would come back at me. Live action Im talking about but yes it is by a country mile the finest film based on a video game.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 5
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 1:55:44 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

I think DOA: Dead Or Alive is tacky-yet-brilliant fun, must dig that out again soon.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 6
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 2:37:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

I think DOA: Dead Or Alive is tacky-yet-brilliant fun, must dig that out again soon.

Is that the one with Holly Velence or how ever spell it in?

Have to say Silent Hill the first one is as good as it will ever get for this genre and that just shows how bad it is.

Post #: 7
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 3:05:28 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

^ This. The majority of the video games that are optioned for films these days are usually themselves influenced by previous films (e.g. Raiders begat Tomb Raider/Uncharted; Alien/The Thing begat Dead Space etc) or at least have a filmic 'quality' the hook being you get to play them rather than watch them
As soon as they are transferred back into films you loose the one thing that made them enjoyable - the interaction and control and they simply become sub-standard rehashes of existing films (i.e. your High Road to China rather than Raiders)

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 8
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 3:10:14 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Have to say Silent Hill the first one is as good as it will ever get for this genre and that just shows how bad it is.

Mortal Kombat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other live action film based on a computer game.

That shows you how bad it is .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 3:20:23 PM   
Deviation

How is Takashi Miike's Yakuza adaptation (this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Dragon )? That should have worked because the game was in itself quite cinematic and influenced by none other but Miike's Yakuza films.

Oh and he did that Ace Attorney adaptation Miike keep on baffling me.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/11/2012 3:27:11 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 10
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 3:57:32 PM   
gunstar

I think the problem with game adaptations is that the original material is usually pretty fucking weak.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 11
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 4:13:44 PM   
jcthefirst

I quite liked the first Silent Hill movie.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 12
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 4:59:21 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Yup

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 13
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 5:45:13 PM   
Tidus

I was just thinking about this today and I agree that Silent Hill is the best video game adaptation movie to be made so far,

I'm surprised no one's made a GTA movie yet.

I'm not here, this isn't happening

Post #: 14
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 5:50:17 PM   
rich

They're all pretty useless. Even things like those animes that tie in with the Dead Space games are terrible, which you'd think would work if they are linked with the plot in some ways and dont have real casting/budget problems.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 15
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 10:38:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

I was just thinking about this today and I agree that Silent Hill is the best video game adaptation movie to be made so far,

I'm surprised no one's made a GTA movie yet.

Yeah I actually don't think Silent Hill is the stinker which many others consider it. The cast are solid and it has some good visual effects, its just it never gets round the problem of it having a computer game narrative which is just baffling in a film, also it did feel very much sub-Matrix b-movie stuff.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 16
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 1/11/2012 10:49:57 PM   
Hood_Man

I enjoyed Prince of Persia.

Post #: 17
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 3:37:25 AM   
DollaHolla

I must say, I actually liked this new Silent Hill film. I just saw it tonight but I'd say you have to see it in 3D.

I may be partial since this was my first 3D film but the ash really seemed to fall like snow and it just gave it a immediate creepy feel like the games. And the chick the who played in it was a dead ringer for the girl in the games.

I also liked the recent Sci-Fi Channel video game movie of Red Faction. I'd say the best made for tv movie I've ever seen, not that say a whole lot. Enjoyable though, and it has the guy from the most recent terminator flick.

The Dragon Age made for TV movie was.. ok meh pretty bad, decent if you played the games I guess.

I rather liked the Resident Evil films, and the 2 Animation movies. Good entertainment at least.

The Dantes Inferno was pretty good.

Postal was hilarious

Aeon Flux was okay

Street Fighter, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Doom are campy but can be laughably fun

Max Payne was ok for a 1 time watch 

I liked japanese version of Parasite Eve.

All in all pretty decent vg films ;l

We just need more by higher quality directors.

I'm surprised some cheap *** director hasnt made a cheap *** "CALIFORNIA RUSH" with crap like House of the Dead floating around.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 18
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 6:32:34 AM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

After seeing the incredibly rubbish Silent Hill: Revelation last night I have virtually given up on this hybrid genre. I wonder is there any hope at all for future video game adaptations? Assassin’s Creed and Metal Gear Solid are on the way but what needs to be done for these and future projects to achieve a level of even mild entertainment, to stand on their own as solid pieces of movie making?

How does Revelations compare to the first movie (which I liked) ? While the atmosphere and effects seem to have been recreated nicely, the trailer does make it look, well, shit, with cheap scares and standard horror fare cliches.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 19
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 9:57:53 AM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

How does Revelations compare to the first movie (which I liked) ? While the atmosphere and effects seem to have been recreated nicely, the trailer does make it look, well, shit, with cheap scares and standard horror fare cliches.

Let’s put it this way. When a film tries to jump scare you with a shot of a pop tart in a toaster you know you’re in for a crushingly disappointing 90 minutes.
The first one is ok, no master piece lets be honest but this makes it look like bloody citizen kane. It’s genuinely one of the worst films of the year. They’ve ramped up the gore and the scares, which were never what the games were about. There’s zero atmosphere I mean zero. The plot (because that’s what is), is hilariously convoluted, the acting atrocious. It’s just a mess and that saddens me because I do think the earlier silent hill games were great. Believe me I really wanted to like it but it was impossible to do so. Watch Jacobs Ladder (which inspired the original game developers I think), the closet you’ll get to a live action silent hill for now.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 20
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 10:44:04 AM   
AngryDude92

Fassbender is producing and staring in an Assassins creed movie.
This could be the saving grace.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 21
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 10:50:17 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryDude92

Is he playing Desmond? Altair or Ezio or all of them?. I could livewith him playing Altair maybe, but Desmond is like 27 years old and Middle eastern looking (although I have noticed a deliberate attempt to make him more western looking in Assassins Creed 3). Ezio is Italian!. If they can make this look anything near as good as the game's cutscenes then could be great. With Fassbender being cast....not convinced

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 22
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 11:13:22 AM   
ripperman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Is he playing Desmond? Altair or Ezio or all of them?. I could livewith him playing Altair maybe, but Desmond is like 27 years old and Middle eastern looking (although I have noticed a deliberate attempt to make him more western looking in Assassins Creed 3). Ezio is Italian!. If they can make this look anything near as good as the game's cutscenes then could be great. With Fassbender being cast....not convinced

It's rumoured he's playing Desmond

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 23
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 12:00:55 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh man. Prince of Persia sound like it was better cast. I call Mario bros on this one...

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 24
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 9:28:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Now that Disney owns LucasArts, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have this? I have long maintained that this has the potential to be a brilliant film, if done right. Give it to the guys that did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, cos that humour is dead on the same as these games...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 25
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 10:03:15 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Now that Disney owns LucasArts, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have this? I have long maintained that this has the potential to be a brilliant film, if done right. Give it to the guys that did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, cos that humour is dead on the same as these games...

Didn't Disney already make a movie based on that called Pirates of the Caribbean? The theme park of which is what inspired Monkey Island.

Also the brilliance of Monkey Island is due to the fact that they are video games, especially the ending of Monkey Island 2 which mind-boggling awesomeness is down to the meta-nature of it. They wouldn't work nearly as well as movies and there's no way a script writer would ever put in a scene like the monkey wrench scene into a film.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 26
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 2/11/2012 10:19:02 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

It will be the greatest feat of his career so far if he manages to make Desmond Miles a likable character and not a moaning dilhole.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 27
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 3/11/2012 5:08:06 PM   
will1000

I hear that a Need For Speed film is being made with Aaron Paul up for a role...surely it will just end up being like the Fast & Furious franchise?!

In my opinion the first Silent Hill film isn't that bad. Max Payne, whilst not great, was not terrible either.

It was highlighted earlier, the problem with most games is that the stories aren't terribly original or inventive to begin with, so trying to make something of nothing doesn't always pay off.
On the other hand some games have great stories (Max Payne being a good example) but for some reason the film producers seem to think they can do better and quite often it falls flat.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 28
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 3/11/2012 7:36:49 PM   
ripperman

There’s an interesting turn of events here. In the mid to late eighties all the way up to the mid nineties I’d say, we had video game adaptations of movies, lazy uninspired things trying to crowbar scenes from the source movie into various platform levels but then along came games like Goldeneye and Chronicles of Riddick where the movie was used as a source for sure but the actual game could stand on its own two feet as it were because it expanded that universe as well as using only relevant material from the film that could be used in a gameplay context. In other words “Based on” games as apposed to “adaptations”

Now…

Interestingly it has come full circle. Movie adaptations of games are sticking slavishly to the source game by crow barring elements from it into the movie, so that we have characters wandering endlessly around corridors with a flashlight for example (The movie equivalent of the lazy platform game)!! I mean its quite depressing that some people on this thread alone are describing their favourites as not that bad, alright, not great but not terrible. That’s just not good enough surely (The movies quality I mean!)

I don’t agree that video game setups are weak. I think some can be very interesting and rich in imagination, something that Hollywood is sorely lacking in these days actually.

So to sum up in my opinion future movie adaptations should be “based on” the original game and not demoted to being a slave to the gameplay elements of a video game. (Two very different media formats)

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 29
RE: Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? - 4/11/2012 4:44:05 AM   
Tidus

I think an awesome Ratchett and Clank CGI movie could be made for kids if the writers were the same guys who wrote the game scripts and they used the same voice actors.

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to ripperman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Will there ever be a good movie based on a video game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI