Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What were your first Wilhelm screams?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What were your first Wilhelm screams? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 12:43:50 PM   
great_badir

As a fan of Family Guy and American Dad, I've noticed in the last couple of series' of both that whenever there is a fight involving a lot of people, they always sneak in a Wilhelm scream. I've also noticed a few people on here complaining about its overuse in the last few years, which got me pointlessly wondering about the first time I ever heard it and the first time I was aware of it (as in when I thought to myself "I've heard that exact same yelp before").

So, my pointless thread and pointless question is - what was the first Wilhelm scream you heard, and what was the first one you were "aware" of? The (incomplete) list here should help with the first part of the question - http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm.html

My first was Return of the Jedi (a two for one during the fight above the sarlacc pit, although for years I never clocked the second scream). Even though by the mid 80s I had seen all of the Star Wars and both Indy films, the first one I actually picked up on was in Spaceballs.

Your turn. If you're bothered.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS
Post #: 1
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 2:48:48 PM   
Brundlesflies

OK I'll be bothered

My first would be Star Wars - no idea at the time of course.
First I was aware of ould probably have been Last Crusade.

I must admit I'm now firmly in the group that feel it's been overused - mainly 'cos it's been publicised so much and everyone's aware of it. Whenever I hear it in a film it kind of takes me out of it for a minute.
Plus it also brings up memories of Ben Burtt on the Star Wars commentaries droning on about how a particular noise was generated - guy's a genius sound geek, but not the most interesting!

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 2
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 3:19:54 PM   
great_badir

Thank you for being bothered, Brundles.

Thread has probably gone as far as it's going to...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 3
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 4:15:15 PM   
jcthefirst

Hmmm, not sure that I remember my first time, but I quite like when it appears. I remember a friend only discovered it recently and posted it on facebook as if he'd made some marvelous discovery. Until everyone commented that they'd known about it for years.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 4
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 5:02:22 PM   
Whistler

I remember being aware of it when I was quite young, but I honestly could tell you what film. #productivepost

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 5
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 1/11/2012 5:36:22 PM   
Tidus

I can't remember the first but I always love hearing it.

My favourite is near the beginning of Reservoir Dogs when Mr. Pink is running from the store and he knocks someone over and they let out a Wilhelm, it's like "As if someone would make that noise just because they got pushed over lol.

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 10:19:54 AM   
chris kilby

Star Wars. Strormtrooper falling into the bottomless chasm just before Luke and Leia swing across. Not sure when I first became aware of the phenomenon, though. Either read about it somewhere or heard about it on a DVD commentary. No, I'm sure it was some Star Wars-related Making Of... doc which showed a montage of Wilhelms, including the very first one - it was a western, wasn't it?

(Yes, it probably is overused now, but I do still get a geeky kick whenever I hear it. One for us fanboys in the audience. So natural born ingrates that we are, we complain about it. Reason enough to keep doing it in my book. If it annoys them, I'm all for it.)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 7
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 10:41:37 AM   
Hood_Man

It must be Return of the Jedi. I'd been brought up almost exclusively on Disney films up till then, so I can't imagine where else I would have heard it, or if I'd even remember it.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 8
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 10:48:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

First would have been Raiders Of the Lost Ark. I am never, ever aware of it though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 9
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 11:46:22 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It must be Return of the Jedi.

Same here. Bloody hate it now, I always cringe when I hear it. For the silliest use of it I nominate Dante's Peak.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 11:48:10 AM   
MonsterCat

I'll be damned if I can remember at least one film in which it has been used.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 11
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 12:25:16 PM   
chris kilby

Wilhelm screams are like "fag burns" before reel changes (when there still were reel changes!) and "Let's get out of here." Once you're aware of them you can't stop noticing them.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 3/11/2012 12:26:16 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 3/11/2012 4:16:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

My first may have been a Western as I watched a lot with my grandad on the telly as a kid. I think I became aware of it pretty early on as i's a very distinctive sound. There is another scream which is longer that pops up a lot too. The first time I noticed that one was in Broken Arrow where a dude gets kicked out a train and falls off a bridge. The reason I remembered it is because I heard it again in an unrelated TV show's opening credits.

Anyway, Wilhelm- click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 13
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 6/11/2012 1:17:06 PM   
Super Hans

While I know of the Wilhelm scream, I don't think I've ever actually picked up on one in a film as I've been watching it - just seen compilation clips on Youtube.

I probably let out something similar when I stubbed my toe on my bed the other week!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 14
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 6/11/2012 1:23:34 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby
"Let's get out of here." Once you're aware of them you can't stop noticing them.

I have the same problem with "you still don't get it, do you?" (or "!", depending on how it's delivered and in what it's in relation to). I don't think I've EVER said that to anyone.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 15
RE: What were your first Wilhelm screams? - 6/11/2012 9:11:47 PM   
paul_lfc

No idea but associate it most with the German guy jumping off the truck in Indiana Jones

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What were your first Wilhelm screams? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI