Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BRs out now that you should really wait for a future verison?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> BRs out now that you should really wait for a future verison? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BRs out now that you should really wait for a future ve... - 1/11/2012 11:14:55 AM   
jackcarter

Star Trek movies 1, 2, 6 (no Directors cuts on BR yet)

Star Wars IV, V, VI (BR dont include original versions)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 5/11/2012 1:46:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 1:21:01 AM   
rich

I'll agree with Star Wars. What is the current version of Star Trek 6?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 9:34:33 AM   
jackcarter

only the theatrical version in on BR unlike the 2 disc dvd which has the DC (same for I and II)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 12:16:38 PM   
great_badir

The current UK versions (available as part of a double pack or a stand alone release) of The French Connection have the same appalling transfer. William Friedkin and Owen Roizman have recently overseen a further remaster which is currently only available in the States (albeit on a region free disc), so expect it to make its way over here soon.

The French Connection 2 transfer, on the other hand, is sublime.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 4
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 12:30:32 PM   
jackcarter

AvP twin pack - the BR has hardly any AvP extras and the theatrical cut of AvPR only

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 1:55:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

The BR editions of SW eps 4-6 are the directors cuts of the films.The original theatrical versions will never be released again and nor should they be.Only a small ( though admittedly very vocal ) minority of SW fans are interested in them.

Star Trek TMP on Blu is a must as it is vastly superior to the original theatrical release.Either version of Treks 2 and 6 work for me.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 7:02:01 PM   
rich

Tell that to Richard Marquand and Irvin Kershner....

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

only the theatrical version in on BR unlike the 2 disc dvd which has the DC (same for I and II)

Honestly I never realised it had any different cuts, unlike the first and second which are usually talked about.

< Message edited by rich -- 2/11/2012 7:49:45 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 7
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 10:01:59 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Tell that to Richard Marquand and Irvin Kershner....

quote:

Honestly I never realised it had any different cuts, unlike the first and second which are usually talked about.

Irvin Kershner worked on the special edition of Empire with Lucas.and before Marquand passed away he admitted that he was just a hired hand directing Jedi.The SW films are Lucas's to do as he pleases.

What the details of the new deal with Disney is anybodys guess but Lucas has been adamant that the original theatricals will never be available again.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 8
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 2/11/2012 10:07:42 PM   
directorscut

Lucas and his Lucasfilm cronies ain't in control anymore punk.

And you can't tell me that:

a) Fox won't wont to squeeze every last cent out of the Star Wars series before their distribution deal ends --- releasing OT = $$$

or

b) Disney won't want to make a dent in that $4 billion investment by releasing them either.

They will come. It is inevitable. One way or another.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 2/11/2012 10:08:08 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 9
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 4/11/2012 1:25:19 AM   
Cool Breeze

H
quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Lucas and his Lucasfilm cronies ain't in control anymore punk.

And you can't tell me that:

a) Fox won't wont to squeeze every last cent out of the Star Wars series before their distribution deal ends --- releasing OT = $$$

or

b) Disney won't want to make a dent in that $4 billion investment by releasing them either.

They will come. It is inevitable. One way or another.

" punk " ? Any chance you can partake in a discussion without using crude name calling? Grow up a small bit will you?

Anyway, the market for the OT 's of the classic trilogy isnt that great to justify a full ( and pricey) restoration.The vast majority of the fanbase are happy with the BR's.

Judge Dredd is a film that could do with a Danny cannon approved directors cut on blu.I was hoping it wud happen with the release of the new Dredd film but alas, the same shitty cut has been released instead.Shame.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 10
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 4/11/2012 1:33:10 AM   
directorscut

I was referring to your avatar, scum.

Lighten up.

Post #: 11
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 5/11/2012 12:44:48 PM   
BelfastBoy

Kingdom Of Heaven - I understand the BR is missing all the lovely special features on the 4 disc DVD?

Post #: 12
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 5/11/2012 3:57:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

I was referring to your avatar, scum.

Lighten up.

Ah, fair enough Duke.

Post #: 13
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 5/11/2012 4:34:10 PM   
Olaf

Surely 90% of the OT has been remastered already, and it's only the unaltered footage that needs to be restored. I can't imagine it would take a big dent out of $4bn, especially since they would sell loads.

At the very least, anyone with an interest in film preservation and the series in general would want a Blade Runner style release with all the various cuts included, so the viewer can make the choice. I'm pretty sure that wasn't prohibitively expensive for Ridley to put together, and that wasn't a multimedia merchandising behemoth like SW is.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 14
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 6/11/2012 12:21:47 AM   
rich

No it's been remastered in a way that oversaturates it to death compared to the original print, along with many recomposited shots which initially look unaltered. It's not just taking away jarring CG and stuff and putting back the original dialogue. But that's another story. I would totally buy a Blade Runner style all bells and whistles edition.

< Message edited by rich -- 6/11/2012 12:22:36 AM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 15
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 6/11/2012 12:49:45 PM   
great_badir

Without wanting to keep the SW boulder tumbling, are Disney still in the (relative) shit?

If they are, I guess it can go either way - either they WILL do a bells and whistles DVD/blu ray release a la Blade Runner (and maybe do a Jaws style cinema re-release as well) in the hope that it will improve the company's stock, or they won't bother with any of that because of how much it would initially cost.

Which doesn't really answer the question...

Anyways, back on topic - the current Dollars trilogy is a bit of a mixed bag. For a Few Dollars More is pretty good, but Fistful and GBU are actually not as good as the US DVD remasters that came out late 90s/early 00s.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 16
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 7/11/2012 12:40:06 PM   
The Waco Kid

do you really think that George Lucas hasn't got copies of the original trilogy stashed away somewhere?
this man is renowned for being anal it's my bet that you'll see the original trilogy sometime next year, i can just see Mr Lucas now out on his Ranch beating a dead horse

Post #: 17
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 7/11/2012 8:50:07 PM   
rich

Stashed in the Library of Congress....

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Anyways, back on topic - the current Dollars trilogy is a bit of a mixed bag. For a Few Dollars More is pretty good, but Fistful and GBU are actually not as good as the US DVD remasters that came out late 90s/early 00s.

That's a shame, The Good... is along those I have on the upgrade list.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 18
RE: BRs out now that you should really wait for a futur... - 8/11/2012 10:25:29 AM   
spark1

am still waiting for QoS UE.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 19
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 11:27:29 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Kingdom Of Heaven - I understand the BR is missing all the lovely special features on the 4 disc DVD?

Alas, that is true. Which is why I kept hold of mine. Great packaging too.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 20
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 1:17:32 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

I thought all three looked great on Blu. The blus are way better than any DVD release.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 21
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 1:34:28 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD
I thought all three looked great on Blu. The blus are way better than any DVD release.

GBU has a LOT of DNR applied to it - compared to previous DVD releases it's similar to (albeit slightly better than) the previous DVD remaster, which itself was not as good as the first region 1 remaster (in my opinion). There's some more talk about this in reviews on Amazon.

It's a shame, cos blu ray is perfect for the techniscope format, but the DNR ruins/off-sets the benefit.

To be fair it's nowhere near as bad as the DNR mess of The French Connection (which is about the worst blu ray transfer I've laid eyes on) and many people wouldn't pick up on it, but being averse to DNR it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 22
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 1:48:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

GBU has a LOT of DNR applied to it - compared to previous DVD releases it's similar to (albeit slightly better than) the previous DVD remaster, which itself was not as good as the first region 1 remaster (in my opinion). There's some more talk about this in reviews on Amazon.

It's a shame, cos blu ray is perfect for the techniscope format, but the DNR ruins/off-sets the benefit.

To be fair it's nowhere near as bad as the DNR mess of The French Connection (which is about the worst blu ray transfer I've laid eyes on) and many people wouldn't pick up on it, but being averse to DNR it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

DNR or not though, there's still way more detail in a high definition presentation than a DVD one, even if some of it has been scrubbed away by overly keen DNR. I'd never trust any reviews on Amazon!

Post #: 23
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 1:58:50 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I'd never trust any reviews on Amazon!

Neither do I - I trust my eyes, and that's what my eyes tell me.

It's just that one or two of the reviews go into more technical detail.

Having done an almost side-by-side comparison between my R1 DVD and the blu ray of GBU, yes the print on the blu looks "newer" but it also looks slightly fake, as if some of it has been cleaned up with CGI. Whereas the old R1 DVD looks more like it did on the big screen (and I am fortunate enough to have seen a celluloid print of GBU on the big screen).

It's the same as how some albums on heavy vinyl sound much better than their digitally remastered counterparts on CD.

But please don't take any of this to mean I'm some blu ray doubter - by and large, blu is an excellent step forward in home entertainment. It's just every now and again the studios/releasing company drop the ball.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 8/11/2012 1:59:43 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 24
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 5:01:16 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I always thought The French Connection situation was down to contrast boosting and colour manipulation, as opposed to DNR. While the results of Friedkin's tampering are up for debate (I think it's a pretty interesting experiment, although the regular version should have been included), there's more to it than the mass application of digital effects ala Predator: Friedkin was actually trying something else here.

Robert Harris talks about it here -

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/282606/a-few-words-about-the-french-connection-in-blu-ray

Post #: 25
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 5:35:03 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Having done an almost side-by-side comparison between my R1 DVD and the blu ray of GBU, yes the print on the blu looks "newer" but it also looks slightly fake, as if some of it has been cleaned up with CGI. Whereas the old R1 DVD looks more like it did on the big screen (and I am fortunate enough to have seen a celluloid print of GBU on the big screen).

It's the same as how some albums on heavy vinyl sound much better than their digitally remastered counterparts on CD.

But please don't take any of this to mean I'm some blu ray doubter - by and large, blu is an excellent step forward in home entertainment. It's just every now and again the studios/releasing company drop the ball.

The MGM Blu-ray uses the exact same master as the SE DVD: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly

The Italian Blu-ray uses a brand new master that blows it out of the water: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=664#auswahl

Post #: 26
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 8/11/2012 8:49:40 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
I always thought The French Connection situation was down to contrast boosting and colour manipulation, as opposed to DNR. While the results of Friedkin's tampering are up for debate (I think it's a pretty interesting experiment, although the regular version should have been included), there's more to it than the mass application of digital effects ala Predator: Friedkin was actually trying something else here.

Robert Harris talks about it here -

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/282606/a-few-words-about-the-french-connection-in-blu-ray

Ah, I didn't realise it was that. All I know is that when I saw it demoed I thought it looked dreadful so decided to stick with my DVD for now. I just assumed it was DNR at play. But, either way, ridiculous - as you say, at least include a "proper" version as well. Don't pull a George Lucas and fuck the whole thing up forevermore!

quote:

The MGM Blu-ray uses the exact same master as the SE DVD: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly

The Italian Blu-ray uses a brand new master that blows it out of the water: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=664#auswahl

Which confirms my thoughts and findings - the old R1 DVD is much closer to the new Italian print, albeit with not as good clarity and depth.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 27
RE: BRs out now that you should wait for a future verison? - 9/11/2012 6:50:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

Can't argue with this mate, fair enough. I really am pleased with the UK Blu, but would love to see the Italian version if it is indeed better.

Post #: 28
RE: BRs out now that you should really wait for a futur... - 12/11/2012 10:24:40 AM   
spark1

quote:

Star Trek movies 1, 2, 6 (no Directors cuts on BR yet)

Star Wars IV, V, VI (BR dont include original versions)

they are not really d cs acccording to nick meyer's recent commentaries on the BDs for II and VI.

the 2001 version of TMP is a d c and deserves a Bd release a s a p.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 29
RE: BRs out now that you should really wait for a futur... - 19/11/2012 12:50:43 PM   
spark1

'armageddon' and 'speed'.

i hope the upcoming id4 3d BD is a triple play.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 28/11/2012 1:06:45 PM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> BRs out now that you should really wait for a future verison? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI