Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: Episode 7

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 4:04:04 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Putting a female lead in a new Starwars movie will not work. It wasn't my sister who emotionally blackmailed my parents into buying me hundreds of pounds worth of videos, action figures, sandwich boxes, lightsabres .....

The Hunger Games made something like $400m in the US last year - that's Dark Knight territory. Audiences are perfectly happy to watch a young female lead in a sci-fi film.

Hunger games is not starwars, its a movie about children killing children. Completely different kinds of movie and I would argue the main audience is women.The same could be said about Twilight!. Starwars is a different kettle of womp-rats altogether.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1651
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 6:07:50 PM   
Private Hudson

Danny is right in that the main target audience for The Hunger Games and Twilight is mainly young girls. I would also say that the main audience for Star Wars is young boys.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1652
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 6:42:42 PM   
Sutty

quote:

quote:

quote:

Putting a female lead in a new Starwars movie will not work. It wasn't my sister who emotionally blackmailed my parents into buying me hundreds of pounds worth of videos, action figures, sandwich boxes, lightsabres .....

The Hunger Games made something like $400m in the US last year - that's Dark Knight territory. Audiences are perfectly happy to watch a young female lead in a sci-fi film.

Hunger games is not starwars, its a movie about children killing children. Completely different kinds of movie and I would argue the main audience is women.The same could be said about Twilight!. Starwars is a different kettle of womp-rats altogether.

And "Starwars" is two words. Star. Wars. Just saying...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1653
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 7:44:32 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Female protagonist!! no thanks!! . Lukes son or nothing!!

So... if there is a female protagonist, you're not going to watch this film?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1654
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 8:22:19 PM   
MonsterCat

I honestly don't see what the problem is in getting a female protagonist to front VII, if indeed that's what Arndt and Abrams are planning.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/1/2013 8:24:46 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1655
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 8:23:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Didn't do Alien or Terminator any harm,but why should it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1656
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 8:27:37 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

True Lies notwithstanding James Cameron's films all have really good female leads kicking ass all over the place, and those films appeal to both men and women.

The argument that this wouldn't work in a Star Wars because "it's meant for boys" is weak.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/1/2013 8:28:48 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1657
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 8:41:47 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

True Lies notwithstanding James Cameron's films all have really good female leads kicking ass all over the place, and those films appeal to both men and women.

The argument that this wouldn't work in a Star Wars because "it's meant for boys" is weak.

Yep.
At the end of the day its about how good the end product is.If its crap then that's (hopefully) irrespective rether the lead is male or female,but I'm sure the fanboys will have there say on that matter.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 29/1/2013 9:00:48 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1658
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:21:07 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

quote:

quote:

quote:

And "Starwars" is two words. Star. Wars. Just saying...

Your clearly a petty jerk...just saying

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 29/1/2013 9:45:10 PM >

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 1659
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:21:58 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

again not the same target audience

Post #: 1660
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:27:36 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

No, its not even an argument, its pretty much just the way it is. Star-wars main audience is boys/men. Would a female lead work, maybe. Would a female lead be more popular and make as much money on the
box office and franchising as a movie with a male lead, no.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1661
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:32:00 PM   
Rebel scum

A female lead isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not there should be a black Han Solo.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1662
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:33:45 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

A female lead isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not there should be a black Han Solo.

Cast a horse as Han. Problem solved.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1663
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:35:19 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Danny is right in that the main target audience for The Hunger Games and Twilight is mainly young girls. I would also say that the main audience for Star Wars is young boys.

Indeed. There is a reason the film makers haven't bothered to showcase a female Jedi in any of the six movies!.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 1664
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:36:15 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

Who wants to watch a black Han Solo!!!!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1665
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:36:54 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Cast a horse as Han. Problem solved.

Which horse?.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1666
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:41:18 PM   
rich

Triple posting twice on the same page? Use the edit button, seriously.

quote:

Being right or wrong is nothing to do with it. The arguing is pointless when this is how a major film studio will be thinking, and their views are what will actually matter in the end product. The hero of a new Star Wars film will be a young 20-something male actor.

< Message edited by rich -- 29/1/2013 9:42:33 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 1667
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 9:44:42 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Triple posting twice on the same page? Use the edit button, seriously.

quote:

Being right or wrong is nothing to do with it. The arguing is pointless when this is how a major film studio will be thinking, and their views are what will actually matter in the end product. The hero of a new Star Wars film will be a young 20-something male actor.

Hopefully it will be Dane DeHaan!!! :)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1668
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 9:21:17 AM   
Chief

I think a female lead could be a good idea. I'd certainly pay to watch it. Give her a different skill-set from Luke (if she is a Jedi), make her more intune with the Force, like Yoda standards throwing stuff about. Some dark side agent trying to corrupt her into the ultimate weapon, she turns briefly or even fully by the end of the movie.

Or even being alone and scared of her powers, not sure what she's doing and no-one to guide her. The dark side trying to locate her, the Jedi only learning about her near the end of VII.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1669
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 9:47:30 AM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

Indeed. There is a reason the film makers haven't bothered to showcase a female Jedi in any of the six movies!.

There were several females on the Jedi Council. And Aayla Secura is seen prominently in Episode II and being killed by her troopers in Episode III.

I'm just saying. There are female Jedi.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1670
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 10:34:41 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

quote:

There were several females on the Jedi Council. And Aayla Secura is seen prominently in Episode II and being killed by her troopers in Episode III.

Exactly. Background fodder

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1671
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:01:35 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I think a female lead could be a good idea. I'd certainly pay to watch it. Give her a different skill-set from Luke (if she is a Jedi), make her more intune with the Force, like Yoda standards throwing stuff about. Some dark side agent trying to corrupt her into the ultimate weapon, she turns briefly or even fully by the end of the movie.

Or even being alone and scared of her powers, not sure what she's doing and no-one to guide her. The dark side trying to locate her, the Jedi only learning about her near the end of VII.

Yep.
I think it'll be interesting if they chose a female lead,but the story needs to fit and they cant just choose a female lead for the sake of being different.
If a female lead was chosen I still think the general Star Wars fanboys/public wouldn't mind,unless they're sexist dimwits.

And who's to say there cant be two leads.One Male and one Female.Maybe the future films could depict there different journeys,struggles in different episodes.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1672
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:13:14 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are both extremely popular with the fanbase, to the point that there are entire episodes of The Clone Wars and areas of the Expanded Universe who deal with them. If your point is that the Star Wars audience will only accept male leads, this alone proves you wrong.

In fact, it says a lot more about you than most Star Wars fans...

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 30/1/2013 11:14:13 AM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1673
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:18:17 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

And who's to say there cant be two leads.One Male and one Female.Maybe the future films could depict there different journeys,struggles in different episodes.

Exactly. After-all, the original had three leads (albeit unknown), one of whom was - gosh darnit - a young woman who, despite having to be rescued in the traditional sense, could still hold her own and not tolerate any of Solo's bullshit. Whilst I doubt Episode VII will feature any one single lead of either gender I see nothing weird about females of any age appearing among an ensemble. Maybe Disney and Lucasfilm will want to broaden the demographic. Not that they really need to.

I asked my wife if she enjoyed Star Wars as a young girl. She said yes, because she "wanted to marry Harrison Ford". I remember loving Star Wars because I wanted to fly spaceships. I'm sure the creators of Episode VII can cater to both viewpoints there.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 1674
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:21:55 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Exactly. After-all, the original had three leads (albeit unknown), one of whom was - gosh darnit - a young woman who, despite having to be rescued in the traditional sense, could still hold her own and not tolerate any of Solo's bullshit.Whilst I doubt Episode VII will feature any one single lead of either gender I see nothing weird about females of any age appearing among an ensemble. Maybe Disney and Lucasfilm will want to broaden the demographic. Not that they really need to.

I asked my wife if she enjoyed Star Wars as a young girl. She said yes, because she "wanted to marry Harrison Ford". I remember loving Star Wars because I wanted to fly spaceships. I'm sure the creators of Episode VII can cater to both viewpoints there.

This! The earliest example of a strong female character in (movie) sci-fi!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 1675
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:34:00 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are both extremely popular with the fanbase, to the point that there are entire episodes of The Clone Wars and areas of the Expanded Universe who deal with them. If your point is that the Star Wars audience will only accept male leads, this alone proves you wrong.

In fact, it says a lot more about you than most Star Wars fans...

What does it say about me exactly?. That I am male!?. Because I personally wouldn't of wanted a Star wars lunch box with a female Jedi on the front when I was kid!!? yeh I wouldn't! nor would every single boy in my school!.The original Star wars would not have been the success it was with female lead, nor will any future Star Wars movie, the studio know this and its just the way it is, it doesn't day anything negative about me as you would like to think. I am not a bit interested in seeing a female lead, are you suggesting that makes me a sexist ?.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 30/1/2013 11:37:56 AM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1676
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:34:57 AM   
Artoo

Episode V11: Sausage Wars

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1677
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:38:06 AM   
AxlReznor

It says that you're a sexist pig, actually considering there are female characters so popular among the fans of the films that they are protagonists of their own stories, and you're the only person I've seen who is so dead set against a female lead character in the films (despite the fact there has been a female lead character in all but one of the six films released so far - Padme was sidelined to a secondary character in Episode III for some reason).

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1678
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:41:36 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Exactly. After-all, the original had three leads (albeit unknown), one of whom was - gosh darnit - a young woman who, despite having to be rescued in the traditional sense, could still hold her own and not tolerate any of Solo's bullshit.Whilst I doubt Episode VII will feature any one single lead of either gender I see nothing weird about females of any age appearing among an ensemble. Maybe Disney and Lucasfilm will want to broaden the demographic. Not that they really need to.

This! The earliest example of a strong female character in (movie) sci-fi!

yeh! i agree ,especially as damsel in distress, bikini clad slave girl and object of the two male leads desire! one of which must of took a long cleansing shower after RoTJ.

Maybe Ripley would of been a more appropriate retort ?....

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 30/1/2013 11:42:20 AM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1679
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 30/1/2013 11:51:12 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

It says that you're a sexist pig, actually considering there are female characters so popular among the fans of the films that they are protagonists of their own stories, and you're the only person I've seen who is so dead set against a female lead character in the films (despite the fact there has been a female lead character in all but one of the six films released so far - Padme was sidelined to a secondary character in Episode III for some reason).

Well why didn't you just come right out and say it in the first place. . No, I am not remotely interested in a female lead, you think thats enough to make a personally attack and call me a sexist pig?. Says more about you than me....

There was no female lead in any of the six movies.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI