Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: Episode 7

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 27/1/2013 11:13:37 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Couldn't be happier with JJ he was the obvious choice and probably the best choice. Disney/Lucasfilm seem to be making all the right moves and if I'm honest I'm now very optimistic for this project, JJ's energy and enthusiasm coupled with his more than solid track record is a perfect fit for SW. Roll on 2015 !!

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 27/1/2013 11:15:05 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1621
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 8:59:26 AM   
Brundlesflies

I am pretty pleased with Abrams as director - really enjoyed Super 8 and Star Trek reboot. My only slight concern would be that instead of this...

[image]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2724/starwarslight.jpg[/image]

we could end up with this...

[image]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1139/starwarslightburst.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by Brundlesflies -- 28/1/2013 9:02:23 AM >

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 1622
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 9:02:00 AM   
Brundlesflies

Ah, as pics don't seem to be working here - altho they previewed fine - the joke's somewhat lost (Lost, geddit?? Man, I'm on fire this morning!)

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 1623
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 10:22:21 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Personally I think Abrams' involvement in Episode 7 pretty much blows Vad3r's "Darth Vader will return!" bullshit out of the water.

Abrams is a smart guy and a director who likes to keep his audience on their toes. Bringing back Vader would smack of laziness, and I don't think Abrams is a lazy guy.

Didn't he bring the old Spock back into his Startrek reboot?.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1624
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 10:44:49 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

Ah, as pics don't seem to be working here - altho they previewed fine - the joke's somewhat lost (Lost, geddit?? Man, I'm on fire this morning!)

Pictures don't work in the Future Films forum to help avoid spoilers. You can always link the pictures if you wish.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 1625
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 12:11:30 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Personally I think Abrams' involvement in Episode 7 pretty much blows Vad3r's "Darth Vader will return!" bullshit out of the water.

Abrams is a smart guy and a director who likes to keep his audience on their toes. Bringing back Vader would smack of laziness, and I don't think Abrams is a lazy guy.

Didn't he bring the old Spock back into his Startrek reboot?.

quote:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1139/starwarslightburst.jpg

True, suppose you could argue that was afforded because of the time travel/splitting element, which not sit right in SW, despite all the hyperspeed and stuff. That and it may be too similar to Trek if they do include him.

Other than the lense flare, I cant quite imagine how this film will look or what will be in it, which is no bad thing. He's a solid track record, and personally I loved Super 8 so much. While I was pessimistic out SW return, ill keep my open to see what he does with it, and where it will lead for other films.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1626
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 12:16:25 PM   
Vadersville

Plus Spock wasn't dead...

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 1627
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 12:20:31 PM   
Chief

He should do a cross-over, Trek 3 & Wars 7. Stand back and watch the internet explode.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 1628
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 1:08:50 PM   
spark1

as usual j j will not rush production and may not make projected 2015 date-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a454178/star-wars-episode-7-jj-abrams-not-committed-to-2015-release-date.html

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1629
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 1:33:40 PM   
Timon

I really hope Harrison Ford doesn't return. The last thing I'd want to see is a 70 year old Han Solo. The cocky, fly-by-the-seat-of-his pants scoundrel replaced by a miserable grump. Anyway, Han would have recklessly got himself killed years ago...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 1630
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 1:40:01 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

He did a long time ago as far as I am concerned!! :) wasn't it Startrek 2 movie?? I'm not a massive fan of Startrek but gave the new movie a try, I was really enjoying it until Old Spock turned up! I was like!! ffs!!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1631
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 1:40:50 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really hope Harrison Ford doesn't return. The last thing I'd want to see is a 70 year old Han Solo. The cocky, fly-by-the-seat-of-his pants scoundrel replaced by a miserable grump. Anyway, Han would have recklessly got himself killed years ago...

I hope hes dead too! they can just have his son filling in the cocky pirate role!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1632
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 1:46:17 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

I hope hes dead too! they can just have his son filling in the cocky pirate role!

Let the 'Nathan Fillion as Son of Han' speculation commence!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1633
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 28/1/2013 2:11:33 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Let the 'Nathan Fillion as Son of Han' speculation commence!

Oh dear god i hope not!!.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1634
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 12:26:45 PM   
AxlReznor

So apparently, the current rumour is they are planning a female protagonist for Episode VII, and when Matthew Vaughn was in talks for the job, he suggested Chloe Moretz for the role. Could be interesting. I wonder if Abrams will take Vaughn's casting choice there.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1635
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 12:28:30 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

He did a long time ago as far as I am concerned!! :) wasn't it Startrek 2 movie?? I'm not a massive fan of Startrek but gave the new movie a try, I was really enjoying it until Old Spock turned up! I was like!! ffs!!

The brought him back in Star Trek III (which was called The Search For Spock, so that could have been a clue).

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1636
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:06:02 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

The brought him back in Star Trek III (which was called The Search For Spock, so that could have been a clue).

Actually that implies that they have lost him somewhere! not that he was dead and they intend to find his dead body and resurrect him, it should of been called Spock:Resurrection or Search for the Stiff.

I don't even know why I am talking about Star trek! I have never actually liked it and only see the new Star Trek movie all the way though! none of the old ones!. I loved the Startrekking song!! Isn't this a Star-wars thread!.

Female protagonist!! no thanks!! . Lukes son or nothing!!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1637
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:11:52 PM   
Timon

quote:

Personally, I'm hoping for something a little more original than 'Luke's son'.

I like the idea of a female protagonist. Let's shake things up a bit. It's a big galaxy, let's stop confining it to the same family and the same four or so planets.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1638
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:17:09 PM   
AxlReznor

Well, if they don't decide on ignoring all of the Expanded Universe stuff (which will really piss off the majority of the Star Wars fanbase, who have invested years of their lives and hundreds of dollars/pounds into what was always meant to be official continuity), they could choose to focus on Han and Leia's daughter, Jaina, who is a badass in her own right, and destined to be the next Empress (the next Emperor will be a good guy, by the way).

It'll still be focusing on the family, which I believe is what they should do, because as I've said before, if they don't it won't really be Episode VII of anything. And it'll be a female protagonist with the skills of Luke, the diplomatic skills of Leia, and the quick wit of Han. She'd easily be able to stand up alongside the male protagonists of the previous movies.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1639
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:21:03 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Personally, I'm hoping for something a little more original than 'Luke's son'.

I like the idea of a female protagonist. Let's shake things up a bit. It's a big galaxy, let's stop confining it to the same family and the same four or so planets.

Its a sequel as I understand! therefore we should assume that's it a continuation of Return of Jedi. The main audience is boys/man child's having a main female protagonist while nice to look at would be a galactic fail.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1640
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:23:31 PM   
AxlReznor

And it's that kind of attitude that keeps a lot of the female population from ever giving these movies a chance (not all of them, mind... these are my wife's favourite movies).

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1641
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:25:53 PM   
Timon

Really? Why? I don't think the majority of Star Wars fans are opposed to a well-written, strong female character. They can't all be that misogynistic.

I still don't agree that the 'Episodes' relate to the story of the Skywalker family. I think you can see it as a sprawling saga about the rise and fall of a Galactic Empire of which they play a key part. Personally, this is another reason the prequels failed, because my focusing on Anakin/Vader, they told a story that we already essentially knew and we knew that the likes of Obi-Wan, Yoda and the droids were never in any real peril because we knew they survived.

However I know I am in the minority on this.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1642
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:26:35 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Its a sequel as I understand! therefore we should assume that's it a continuation of Return of Jedi. The main audience is boys/man child's having a main female protagonist while nice to look at would be a galactic fail.

It's nice to see you're adding sexism to your long list of personality flaws.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/1/2013 2:27:13 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1643
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:40:37 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

It's nice to see you're adding sexism to your long list of personality flaws.

Wow!! really got the feminists going here!!.
My point is not actually sexist at all, its a fact! If the original Starwars movies had a female lead then the franchise would not have been the mega success that it has been!. Putting a female lead in a new Starwars movie will not work. It wasn't my sister who emotionally blackmailed my parents into buying me hundreds of pounds worth of videos, action figures, sandwich boxes, lightsabres .....

The `nice to look at` part was a joke, clearly. Then again bit of sexism is healthy! the ladies love it. Not that I care in the slightest either way what you consider the personality flaws of someone you have never met.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 29/1/2013 3:04:45 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1644
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:47:25 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

Really? Why? I don't think the majority of Star Wars fans are opposed to a well-written, strong female character. They can't all be that misogynistic.

I still don't agree that the 'Episodes' relate to the story of the Skywalker family. I think you can see it as a sprawling saga about the rise and fall of a Galactic Empire of which they play a key part. Personally, this is another reason the prequels failed, because my focusing on Anakin/Vader, they told a story that we already essentially knew and we knew that the likes of Obi-Wan, Yoda and the droids were never in any real peril because we knew they survived.

I think you wrong , would you of loved the original trilogy if Luke was a girl?...nope

I don't disagree with you regarding to possibilities of stories. I wouldn't mind a story set well after the original cast characters have dies, but I do mind a Luke son story either. ! I am commenting that I do not think they will stray from established characters etc , the studio just wont take that big a risk, not yet! Maybe in about 4 movies time. Just like I doubt they would risk a female lead

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1645
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:52:19 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Yeah, but the thing with prequels is "how it happened" not "what happened" is the focus. The problem comes when they don't make the "how" compelling enough. Or did you dislike X-Men: First Class as well, for similar reasons?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1646
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 2:55:19 PM   
AxlReznor

I personally don't give a shit what gender the lead character is, and neither should anybody else. As long as they're well-written and well-acted, I don't see how it can in any affect my enjoyment of the movie.

Also, considering the actress who was being considered is 15 years old right now, you may have wanted to wait a couple of years before that "nice to look at" comment.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1647
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 3:05:44 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Yeah, but the thing with prequels is "how it happened" not "what happened" is the focus. The problem comes when they don't make the "how" compelling enough. Or did you dislike X-Men: First Class as well, for similar reasons?

Actually, because I was treating First Class as a ret-con, I just went with it - but it's a good point.

quote:

quote:

I think you wrong , would you of loved the original trilogy if Luke was a girl?...nope

I don't disagree with you regarding to possibilities of stories. I wouldn't mind a story set well after the original cast characters have dies, but I do mind a Luke son story either. ! I am commenting that I do not think they will stray from established characters etc , the studio just wont take that big a risk, not yet! Maybe in about 4 movies time. Just like I doubt they would risk a female lead

If Luke had been a girl and Leia had been a boy, it would have really not made that much difference as the dynamic would have been the same and my favourite character would have still been Han Solo.

I think the 'Star Wars' brand itself allows for complete freedom. There is an entire expanded universe out there, so why cover material that has been done before? What would be new or fresh about that? It's not a risk either as these films will make tons of money even if they decide to focus on Wedge and how he set up a private PI firm after the war.

Also, I wish Lucas and Spielberg had gone with Darabont's 'daughter of Indy', using Natalie Portman as 'Idaho Jones' (never confirmed). I think the dynamic would have worked better, but considering the problems that film had, it's another reason I wouldn't want to see a father/son plotline.

< Message edited by Timon -- 29/1/2013 3:12:18 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 1648
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 3:41:58 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Putting a female lead in a new Starwars movie will not work. It wasn't my sister who emotionally blackmailed my parents into buying me hundreds of pounds worth of videos, action figures, sandwich boxes, lightsabres .....

The Hunger Games made something like $400m in the US last year - that's Dark Knight territory. Audiences are perfectly happy to watch a young female lead in a sci-fi film.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1649
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 29/1/2013 3:44:58 PM   
Artoo

Hello peeps,

Long time lingerer, first time poster. Just thought I'd weigh in with my two penny's worth!

I've been a massive Star Wars fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and I must say this recent news (since Episode 7 was announced) has made me feel like a kid again. It-is-awesome!

Thoughts on JJ Abrams? Good choice. I would've preffered to see Brad Bird or Zack Snyder (I'm a big Snyder fan - so sue me!), or even.......Michael Bay!! Just imagine all them 'splosions and things that go BANG going,........well, BANG in space!! Actually no, forget that. Micahel Bay directing Star Wars is as silly as,....Ben Affleck directing Star Wars! Wait......

The only thing that sticks in the throat about JJ Abrams doing this is (yes) the fact that he's done Star Trek as well! It just doesn't sit well with me for some (probably childish and illogical) reason, but I'm sure he'll do a good job of it.

A female protagonist is fine with me, but I don't think JJ would be so silly as to make her the only protagonist in the movie. The SW universe and story is too vast to tie everything onto one character so I'm pretty sure there will be a similarly vast array of characters, consisting of both Men, Women and Wookies! Chloe Moritz is a good choice, if there is a young female character. She is a very good little actress and handy with a double ended blade (see Kick-Ass for confirmation), which would be enough of an excuse to cast her as a Jedi Padawan and give her a double ended lightsaber! I would be quite happy to see her play a part in it!

IMO it should also be set in the Expanded Universe for definite, and I personally would like to see it follow (at least loosely) the Timothy Zahn books (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command). I dont think it will however. I think the new film will follow on from ROTJ (probably a few years in the future) with the same characters but with a different story line. Then of course you have the recasting of Luke/Leia/Han etc to deal with, which although an internet forumites dream - is not a job I envy!

Nathan Fillion for Han Solo!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI