Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: Episode 7

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 6:38:30 PM   
superdan

Obviously we're looking at Star Wars VII being basically Oceans 14. Or Coffee and Deathsticks. It's what the franchise needs.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1231
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 6:46:35 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Obviously we're looking at Star Wars VII being basically Oceans 14. Or Coffee and Deathsticks. It's what the franchise needs.

lol. The cool is one of many elements that Episode VII should have. I've thrown a lot of ideas out there, but I think they all work well together. Star Wars has always had a wide range of drama (dog fights in space, Campbell-derived mythology, the religion of the Jedi, humour, aliens etc) and Episode VII should follow in that tradition.

Although, talking of coffee and cigarettes, I'm surprised that, while we're discussing the Wu-Tang for Episode VII, Harry Tuttle didn't suggest their C&C co star, Bill Murray. The one decent argument people who prefer Ghostbusters to Star Wars have is that the former has Bill Murray. Casting Bill in Episode VII would blow that argument out of the water.

< Message edited by cerebusboy -- 10/11/2012 6:50:02 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1232
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:00:41 PM   
chilipenguin

Have held off on posting until some of the crazy leaks away (Wu Tang? Are you high?).

After having mixed feelings about the announcement, I'm reasonably optimistic that the will is there to make up for the disappointment of the prequels. A new trilogy could bring balance back to the franchise, if done well.

IMO the original leads have to appear. Even if it's only for VII, there has to be a link from Jedi. I reckon that the Jedi Academy idea works in the EU, but we shouldn't be introduced to a fully functioning Academy in VII. Why not have Luke desperately trying to find someone, anyone, who is Force receptive to train? After thirty years of searching, he has come up empty, and he's starting to lose faith that there are any other potential Jedi out there (Order 66 was successful). A kind of crotchety, crazy old man would be an effective link to Old Ben and set up a new Republic where life hasn't been all sunshine and medals for Luke. Then you can build the trilogy around Luke finally finding someone he can pass the torch to, and them facing whatever threat that develops together. Kill Luke off in VIII and the circle is complete, leaving the Padawan alone to finish the fight alone in IX.

Meanwhile, on Coruscant, Leia is holding the Republic together, with Han and Chewie gone to seed. A crisis occurs that sends them off in the Falcon (which by now really is little more than a heap of junk) for one last adventure. They save the day, the Falcon is destroyed (perhaps with the pair inside?).

We don't have to see Jacen and Jaina. We don't have to see Mara Jade, or Thrawn, or Clone Palpatine or Timecop Vader.

We can't expect all of the old guard to turn out for three more films (in Ford's case, even a cameo is perhaps asking too much). Can't see Lando coming back (Williams looked a bit ropey last time I saw him on the telly). No Droids perhaps? Maybe just a suicidal R2D2 gone crazy over the disintegration of Threepio? Randomly just running into walls and crying robotically?

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 1233
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:10:24 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

Have held off on posting until some of the crazy leaks away (Wu Tang? Are you high?).

Meanwhile, on Coruscant, Leia is holding the Republic together, with Han and Chewie gone to seed.

Wu-Tang are great! They've acted (well, some of them) with Bill Murray and in the Wire! RZA is now a director! etc

Would you still want Han and Leia to be a couple? I know they didn't get married at the end of Jedi, but not referring to that relationship in Episode VII would be problematic to me. I mean, even if you had Han killed at the start and have Leia be a grieving widow, the relationship should still be addressed. I think they'd be a great married couple. You could have an elderly Han (maybe with a beard or eye-patch or something) still getting lots of attention from the ladies, Leia joking that she thinks Han loves Chewbacca more than her etc. Practically speaking, if Leia is head of the republic then I think Han would have a respectable job, like an Admiral or something.

Killing off Han *and* Chewie in one scene would do them a disservice I feel - they each deserve a devoted death storyline. Either kill Han and have Chewie pining for his human, like Greyfriar's Bobby, or the other way about.

I think you could have Han and Leia having kids, without making the film about the 'new generation' or something? I mean, wouldn't it be a bit weird if they hadn't had kids? I suppose you could say Leia had some kind of gynecological ladyproblem, but that's a bit heavy for a kid's film.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 1234
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:18:20 PM   
chilipenguin

I would still hope that Han and Leia were together (although them being divorced could be interesting). In the some of the EU novels, Han acts as an ambassador so that would be a possibility.

I wouldn't necessarily want them both to be killed off in one fell swoop, but I think that by getting rid of a major character would give the film a bit of emotional wallop.

Chewie should also have grey fur.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1235
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:19:37 PM   
chilipenguin

Oh, and just a quick follow up as I really don't want to get into it, but having met RZA, the man is an arse and I don't think that his personality would be a good fit for the franchise.

Post #: 1236
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:20:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I am so glad an actual writer is going to be writing this film.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1237
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:21:53 PM   
Vadersville

Agreed, He did great work on Toy Story 3 so I'm really happy with him on board for at least episode 7.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1238
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:22:18 PM   
chilipenguin

No likey the ideas?

Fanboy-gasms are weird. I have never spouted such utter drivel about anything before.

Post #: 1239
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:25:07 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Oh, and just a quick follow up as I really don't want to get into it, but having met RZA, the man is an arse and I don't think that his personality would be a good fit for the franchise.

You've met the RZA? Man, that's the coolest thing I've ever read on these forums, although I'm still convinced I saw Scarlett Johansson in a Glasgow chippy a few weeks back. I don't see why someone's private personality is that important. Afterall, Russell Crowe is infamously a bit chippy and punchy, but who wouldn't love to see him as a Jedi in Episode VII? He can keep his Noah beard!

Post #: 1240
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:28:59 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I would still hope that Han and Leia were together (although them being divorced could be interesting). In the some of the EU novels, Han acts as an ambassador so that would be a possibility.

I wouldn't necessarily want them both to be killed off in one fell swoop, but I think that by getting rid of a major character would give the film a bit of emotional wallop.

Chewie should also have grey fur.

Problem with ambassador is would you actually show that? Surely people would turn off if the Heroic Han Solo is shown fannying about with diplomacy and ferrero rocher? I think it's obvious that thirty to forty years later Han, Luke and Leia will definitely be in the new films so the challenge is finding the best role for them. Everyone agrees Luke should be a Jedi Knight, establishing a new Jedi Order/and or being a samurai badass, but I'm not sure if the EU fates of Han and Leia are that good to be honest. Han Solo leading the Jedi fleet (how long do Mon Calamari live? It would be weird if Admiral Ackbar isn't in it. Maybe the movie could start with his retirement party, with Han being given the top job.) into a death-or-glory final battle would be much better than having him be a diplomat.

Post #: 1241
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:29:36 PM   
chilipenguin

I think it's more about personality and persona bleeding through to the film making process. In fairness to the guy, maybe he was having a bad day and he's actually a top gent.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1242
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:35:08 PM   
Dirk Miggler

The Falcon being destroyed would be more shocking than Han or Chewie getting killed.

Seriously though, fuck Wu-Tang ! And I love love Bill Murray but in Star Wars, no.

Also very happy with the choice of writer, who else is starting to think that the director is already locked down ?

Post #: 1243
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:39:11 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I am so glad an actual writer is going to be writing this film.

Me too! I'll be the first to admit that the great George Lucas and the dude who wrote Toy Story 3 will probably come up with something even better than I've suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if some unknown has a big role in Episode VII, and turns out to be even better than Kevin Smith and the Wu-Tang Clan.

Post #: 1244
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:42:10 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

The Falcon being destroyed would be more shocking than Han or Chewie getting killed.

Seriously though, fuck Wu-Tang ! And I love love Bill Murray but in Star Wars, no.

Also very happy with the choice of writer, who else is starting to think that the director is already locked down ?

Come on, this is forty years later! There could be all kinds of cool ships, ten times faster than the Falcon or something. I don't think you can kill Han and Chewie off at the same time without doing them a disservice. Maybe Han and Chewie are pinned down in extreme combat, Han dies, and Chewie gets given a purple heart style medal to make up for not getting one at the end of A new Hope.

The Wu-Tang are great! Good enough for the Wire, good enough for Star Wars

Post #: 1245
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:42:14 PM   
chilipenguin

I love the idea of the Falcon going down in a blaze of glory with Han at the controls.

Going by the rumour mill, and how quickly things are already moving, a director is most likely already locked down and an announcement on its way perhaps before the end of the year. That gives them, what, about 2.5 years production time?

Has there been any announcement regarding the 3D re-release schedule? Wasn't the plan to do one per year, with Jedi due in 2017. That might mess with their marketing campaign for VII.

Post #: 1246
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:43:44 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I think it's more about personality and persona bleeding through to the film making process. In fairness to the guy, maybe he was having a bad day and he's actually a top gent.

I think RZA came across great when acting with Bill Murray. Yeah, everyone can have an off day - if the great George Lucas blanked me in Starbucks or something one time I wouldn't stop loving the guy's films. Maybe RZA was having hassle from the feds or his hoes or something.

Post #: 1247
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:45:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy
Russell Crowe is infamously a bit chippy and punchy, but who wouldn't love to see him as a Jedi in Episode VII?

Me. I like the actor, but no. Just, no.

Cf. Bill Murray.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1248
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:46:33 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I love the idea of the Falcon going down in a blaze of glory with Han at the controls.

Going by the rumour mill, and how quickly things are already moving, a director is most likely already locked down and an announcement on its way perhaps before the end of the year. That gives them, what, about 2.5 years production time?

Has there been any announcement regarding the 3D re-release schedule? Wasn't the plan to do one per year, with Jedi due in 2017. That might mess with their marketing campaign for VII.

yeah, 2 1/2 years before the last Star Wars film came out pre-vis had started, costumes and sets were being designed, everyone was cast etc etc. Remember the amount of green screen used means that the actual filming is (or was) like two years before the film comes out! Presumably things are faster these days, but how much faster I don't know. Surely mo-cap, which they'll probably want to use in Episode VII, is pretty time consuming? I'd be up for getting Andy Serkis to do some monsters.

The remaining two prequel films are being released next year; speculation is that all three of the OT films will be released in 2004 (as happened in 1997) before 2015's Episode VII.

Post #: 1249
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:47:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Russell Crowe is infamously a bit chippy and punchy, but who wouldn't love to see him as a Jedi in Episode VII?

Me. I like the actor, but no. Just, no.

Cf. Bill Murray.

Can I ask why? Crowe is Jor-El for a reason! The dude oozes gravitas.

Post #: 1250
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:50:57 PM   
Dirk Miggler

It makes you wonder if 2015 is a realistic target, unless the pre-production ball is already rolling ?

I think we can expect at least 1 maybe 2 of the original characters to snuff it.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1251
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 7:52:47 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

It makes you wonder if 2015 is a realistic target, unless the pre-production ball is already rolling ?

I think we can expect at least 1 maybe 2 of the original characters to snuff it.

Yeah, the short lead in time is one reason why people thought Disney's Brad Bird project 1952 was really code for Star Wars. But apparently there's been some photos of George Clooney from that film, that show it's actually about Tesla. Anybody down with modern special effects know how long they'd need to shoot a new Star Wars film?

Post #: 1252
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 8:02:50 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Can I ask why?

Of course you can.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1253
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 8:33:43 PM   
horribleives

quote:

A few years ago it might have been Barack Obama, but he's taken some hits.

Did he inhale?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1254
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 10/11/2012 8:50:53 PM   
chilipenguin

quote:

Yeah, the short lead in time is one reason why people thought Disney's Brad Bird project 1952 was really code for Star Wars. But apparently there's been some photos of George Clooney from that film, that show it's actually about Tesla. Anybody down with modern special effects know how long they'd need to shoot a new Star Wars film?

No! They need to dial back the CGI and work with some physical special effects. The overuse of greenscreen was what ruined the prequels. Everything was too glossy and fake, get back to using miniatures and puppets.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 1255
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 11/11/2012 1:49:11 PM   
cerebusboy

I'm not allowed to discuss the matters you allude to, but would stress that many disagree with your views on CGI. Computers or rubber puppets; it's all just make-believe.

Can't believe people are so against the Wu-Tang. Method Man's been in the Wire! RZA and GZA have acted with Bill Murray! etc. Plus, everyone loves Lando Calrissian. Why shouldn't the new Star Wars film, instead of just having one cool black guy, have a bunch of them?

Post #: 1256
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 11/11/2012 1:53:14 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

No! They need to dial back the CGI and work with some physical special effects. The overuse of greenscreen was what ruined the prequels. Everything was too glossy and fake, get back to using miniatures and puppets.

Agreed. The prequels looks horribly dated already whereas the OT looked great for years and even now I prefer the stop motion, model work over CG creations.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 11/11/2012 5:43:19 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 1257
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 11/11/2012 7:07:43 PM   
Beno

Have i been trapped in Carbonite?? When did this thread get to be 42 pages long?? Wow!!

Well i am feeling the hype already which could end badly as last time this happened in relation to Star Wars we all ended up with The Phantom Menace. Hopefully - and i am optimistic cos of the writer they have got - they will get the new incarnation right. Of course the right Director is a must which Disney will give great consideration if they hope to challenge Avatars position.

The Star Wars universe is a big place but we only saw fleeting glimpses of its scale and scope in my opinion. For me it only ever achieved around 65 - 70% of its potential to be a classic Space Opera. The future of this franchise could be very bright indeed though with the end of Harry Potter but also with the 'rivalries' with other existing franchises such as the aforementioned Avatar. Box Office battles will force Disney to up the ante therefore resulting in 'better' Star Wars movies that will prove to be more satisfying for fans of all ages.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1258
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 11/11/2012 7:27:06 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

quote:

Agreed. The prequels looks horribly dated already whereas the OT looked great for years and even now I prefer the stop motion, model work over CG creations.

I think when you start using it excessively is where you have problems, I hate it when a set that could quite easily be made is digitally rendered later it just looks so fake (even the Jedi council chambers were added in digitally in AOTC and ROTS) you have got to give the actors something. I also think that way with the Clone Troopers, why did they need to be digital for close ups, interacting with the the cast and small group shots ? Again it just looks so fake and must be an absolute nightmare for the actors surely men in suits would suffice.

There is some stellar effects work in the prequels but I agree that even now some of it is starting to date quite badly. They just need to find the right balance and they will be onto a winner I'm sure.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1259
RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 - 11/11/2012 7:38:54 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I think when you start using it excessively is where you have problems, I hate it when a set that could quite easily be made is digitally rendered later it just looks so fake (even the Jedi council chambers were added in digitally in AOTC and ROTS) you have got to give the actors something. I also think that way with the Clone Troopers, why did they need to be digital for close ups, interacting with the the cast and small group shots ? Again it just looks so fake and must be an absolute nightmare for the actors surely men in suits would suffice.

There is some stellar effects work in the prequels but I agree that even now some of it is starting to date quite badly. They just need to find the right balance and they will be onto a winner I'm sure.

Agreed - I do think thought that people worrying about what the Ep 7 director is going to is unfounded as Lucas is the only director I can think of that took the greenscreen stuff that far.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI