Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 - 31/10/2012 9:53:16 AM   
Timon

I honestly don't understand all those who hate this news. George Lucas no longer has creative control over Star Wars! There's a chance we'll have decent writing/directing and, as a side-effect, movies!

Think of all the decent writers and directors out there who have always wanted to do a Star Wars film but haven't been able to because Lucas wanted to steer the ship. The man wanted to ensure his creative vision, but had no problem pimping his creations out to Vodafone or whoever else threw money at him. This is the best news ever and with Disney currently treating Pixar and Marvel with due respect, I think Star Wars fans are in for a treat, especially with the likes of Alan Taylor, Joss Whedon, Kenneth Branagh, John Lassenter and Andrew Stanton on their books.

Perhaps now, we'll also get the Original Trilogy on Blu Ray without Hayden Christiansen's ghost at the end! Huzzah!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 61
It's NOT just about Star Wars ... - 31/10/2012 9:55:45 AM   
Nicky C

It's the whole company, people. Think bigger. It's all LucasFilm properties (i.e. Star Wars AND Indiana Jones) plus Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound. They have also said that the plan is to make a Star Wars movie every 2-3 years and they could potentially do the same thing with Indy. They've obviously worked out that nerds like spending a lot of money on any old tat that has a certain character's name or face on it. The geeks have nobody but themselves to blame. LOL.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
John Carter - 31/10/2012 9:56:07 AM   
stucy

hmmm... lets hope it doesn't go that route!

Post #: 63
RE: John Carter - 31/10/2012 9:57:02 AM   
ChudMonkey

Having slept on it I have a feeling Lucas is trying to mirror his own creation by first being good (the original trilogy) then becoming swayed by the dark side (the CGI fest of the new trilogy) promptly turning to the darkside because everyone keeps bitching at him "it's not fair" (selling up to Disney) and then just when we think all is lost and episode 9 features a Jar Jar meets the Ewoks song and dance number Lucas buys all the rights back (with loose change found in his neckbeard) and restores the original trilogy so that Han shot first and finally makes the dark and sweary Star Wars: Underworld TV Series with HBO.....redemption complete, balance restored

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to stucy)
Post #: 64
RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 - 31/10/2012 9:58:10 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I honestly don't understand all those who hate this news. George Lucas no longer has creative control over Star Wars!

^^This^^

Although the radio this morning on the way to work said that he would remain involved "creatively", whatever that means!

The further away he is from it the better, that's not to say Disney will hit it out of the park mind you, but it will be interesting to see what happens none the less.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 65
RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 - 31/10/2012 9:58:51 AM   
Timon

If it's the same 'control' he had over Empire Strikes Back, I'm ok with that - just let someone else write and direct it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 66
RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 - 31/10/2012 10:14:28 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

If it's the same 'control' he had over Empire Strikes Back, I'm ok with that - just let someone else write and direct it.

And look what we got...the best Starwars film made so far!!!....so this could be a great thing for Starwars. I want to see Vince Gilligan writing the next three movies

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 67
RE: that's some equity release - 31/10/2012 10:17:37 AM   
boristhespie

quote:

ORIGINAL: boristhespie
No computer generated shit. Use MODELS to mirror look and feel of originals.

This is the most disturbing thing I've seen on this thread! Why the hell would a company as advanced as Disney dump 30+ years of technology and rebate back to the horrible, horrible, horrible stop-motion and puppetry of the OT just to please a few old people who still think computers run by magic?

Yeah cause computer generated Jabba looks so much better to model Jabba while the computer generated scenery looks so much better and real than.....errr... real scenery.

With respect, Peter Jackson's doing rather well with models, forced perspective and real props.

Models work well for scenery, buildings and some creatures (eg Jabba, Jurassic Park etc) in conjunction with unobtrusive cgi creatures.

Sorry Lucas's playing with his "toys" is why the sequels frankly suck.

< Message edited by boristhespie -- 31/10/2012 10:22:58 AM >

Badges, We don' need no stinking badgees.

(in reply to NeoBrowser)
Post #: 68
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 10:19:38 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I really hope they do not mess Indiana Jones up.

Lucasfilm already did that and then some. They pummeled the poor old chaps face in to the dirt with KotCS! And just kept kicking his face while he was down. Awful

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 69
RE: that's some equity release - 31/10/2012 10:21:59 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

No computer generated shit. Use MODELS to mirror look and feel of originals.

This is the most disturbing thing I've seen on this thread! Why the hell would a company as advanced as Disney dump 30+ years of technology and rebate back to the horrible, horrible, horrible stop-motion and puppetry of the OT just to please a few old people who still think computers run by magic?

Yeah cause computer generated Jabba looks so much better to model Jabba whilenthe computer generated scenery looks so much better and real than.....errr... real scenery.

With respect, Peter Jackson's doing rather well with models, forced perspective and real props.

Sorry Lucas's playing with his "toys" is why the sequels frankly suck.

Ohhhhh he got you there!! he got you good!! CGI Jabba was shite! the puppet still looks the shit to this day! at least compared to the CGi version. And as much as I despise Peter Jackson his work on LoTR effects was a great mix of models and CGi

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to boristhespie)
Post #: 70
What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 10:23:29 AM   
potemkin1925

It is sad to see the Maker go, but godamned exciting that we are going to an Epidode VII at last.

Hopefully it isn't going to involve that pap in the comics where the Sith return again and kill all the Jedi again but live one alive again.

And hopefully we will get a Rebellion era cartoon to go with Clone Wars.

Post #: 71
RE: that's some equity release - 31/10/2012 10:27:21 AM   
boristhespie

quote:

quote:

Lucasfilm already did that and then some. They pummeled the poor old chaps face in to the dirt with KotCS! And just kept kicking his face while he was down. Awful

Let me be a heretic.

I actually enjoyed Crystal Skull. Yeah some bits (the cgi, eg. The fucking ants suck) was shitty but tonally it is closer to Raiders than, say Temple of doom, which to this day makes me want to harpoon miss Capshaw through the neck on my telly.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 72
RE: What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 10:29:35 AM   
Sinatra

I am with Timon, I think it's great news... I hope they new films are darker with new characters and a sprinkling of old characters if they fit in with the story... and older, wiser, more powerful, Obi-Wan esc - Luke,,, would be awesome.!!

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 31/10/2012 10:32:12 AM >

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 73
RE: What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 10:40:11 AM   
boristhespie

They need real stories. Exciting stories not trade disputes about tax affairs of racially suspect depictions of aliens. Zzzzzz.

Make them for Adults and incidentally for kids. Hence why Cuaron. His films really fit and what he did with Prisoner of Azkaban was spot on. Mature while treating the kids with respect. There would be no Jar Jar under this guy.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 74
RE: What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 10:41:59 AM   
boristhespie

Incidentally there was a report yesterday that Star Wars was also being made into a tv show!

Post #: 75
RE: What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 11:01:03 AM   
cerebusboy

Hmm, I realise I'm in the minority in liking the prequels, but at least, on paper, there was enough potential story points there (Anakin's fall to the dark side, rise of the Empire) to make a compelling yarn. In contrast Cracked pointed out (very amusingly) that most of the Expanded Universe comics sequels stuff tend to be witless retreads of the original trilogy

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/

Tangentially, whilst one can understand kids growing up today thinking that the original Star Wars movies were universally acclaimed as Proper Movies in contrast to those toyetic prequels, it's pretty disengenous for ageing fanboys (like me!) to not concede that, yes, most of the criticisms aimed at the prequels were aimed at the originals (Pauline Kalling RotJ and even the peerless Empire 'video games in the sky' thirty years ago). Empire itself orginally gave Jedi three measly stars! Compare and 'contrast' :

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_iii_revenge_of_the_sith_3d/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/return_of_the_jedi/

Personally, I'd be up for a Drive-style Boba Fett movie

@boris - there's the cartoon TV show "Star Wars Detours" with Seth McFarlane. I think, when he was promoting Red Tails, Rick McCallum said all the scripts for the live action TV shows are written, but they're too expensive to make. Disney's not short of cash of course, but I don't know if their channels would show a (comparitively) grim-n-gritty star wars live action show.

Post #: 76
RE: Oh good - 31/10/2012 11:01:30 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

we can expect at least seventeen covers, 5 exclusive retrospectives, 13 filler "never before seen photos of the original trilogy" features and one whole magazine dedicated to Episode VII then.

So true

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 77
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 11:06:34 AM   
JonathanMardukas

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

I would expect the casting of Bradley Cooper as Indy to happen in the coming months/years, if Indy 5 is greenlit.

G: Hey, guy. They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta's brother, Tio.
Spanish actor: Como?
G: Oh, you're gonna be in a coma, all right.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 78
RE: What would you moaners do without the Internet??? - 31/10/2012 11:08:04 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I am with Timon, I think it's great news... I hope they new films are darker with new characters and a sprinkling of old characters if they fit in with the story... and older, wiser, more powerful, Obi-Wan esc - Luke,,, would be awesome.!!

In theory. In reality : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Skywalker#Expanded_Universe_appearances

I spent years reading every expanded universe comic that Dark Horse published. Aside from the cool scene that showed how Anakin got his scars, I can't recall anything about them. They keep telling the same story! The Empire crumbles, so the republic rises. Everyone thinks the Sith are dead. The Sith rise up with a new powerful leader. The good guys destroy the Sith and bring peace to the galaxy. The Sith rise up in secret.. A Skywalker goes to the dark side and is redeemed by love of his family. yada yada ad infinitum. The stories usually have some third rates Han Solo knock offs too.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 79
RE: Oh good - 31/10/2012 11:09:30 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

we can expect at least seventeen covers, 5 exclusive retrospectives, 13 filler "never before seen photos of the original trilogy" features and one whole magazine dedicated to Episode VII then.

So true

You say that like it's a bad thing

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 80
RE: Star Wars: Episode VII For 2015 - 31/10/2012 11:10:51 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

So happy. Haters: ignore it and move on with your lives.

They can't, man. That is why they hang around on the internet.

They can bitch and moan without having to look a real person in the eye.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 81
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 11:13:14 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonathanMardukas

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

I would expect the casting of Bradley Cooper as Indy to happen in the coming months/years, if Indy 5 is greenlit.

Jesus wept, dear God no, no, no ... just no!

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to JonathanMardukas)
Post #: 82
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 11:38:54 AM   
Sotto Voce

I just hope they learn the lessons of the prequels. Lucas not writing them is a good start.

Don't f#ck this up, mouse boy.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 83
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 11:41:28 AM   
Timon

Actually the pressure will be on Kathleen Kennedy as the 'Kevin Feige' of the new LucasFilm. But it's not like she has no experience in such things. I'd say its in good hands.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 84
RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 - 31/10/2012 11:42:12 AM   
mattdavies86

Just got an image in my head of a masked George Lucas standing over legions of Star Wars fans, menacingly stating "when Star Wars is ashes, you have my permission to cry".

The only good thing that might come of this is the release of restored theatrical editions on Blu-ray (which would never have happened while Lucas had full control). Other than that, I don't particularly want to see a haggered Princess Leia strutting around in a gold bikini hand-in-hand with a dementia-suffering Han Solo.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 85
FLASHMAN - 31/10/2012 11:58:21 AM   
Frank Comiskey

ALWAYS thought that Lucas and that lady who wrote Romaning The Stone had planned a third cycle. The further trilogy of re-booted capers for Luke, Han, Chewie & Leila without Lucas dominating? Or even the old guard reprising their roles to make way for young blood? Another chance for Spielberg to do one? Very promising indeed.

Post #: 86
Bin ep1 - 31/10/2012 12:24:15 PM   
fancysmith

I don't think this isn't a bad thing, Disney/ Marvel have done well with the Avengers films, so they obviously have people that cherish the material and understand the fans. I'd say it's safer in Disney's hands than Lucas's. He can't leave them alone. With that in mind Disney need to release a blu ray none Special Edition of the first three films (Han Shot first Mickey deal with it) It's a blatant cash in but would get fans on side.
Ideally they need to Bin Ep1, burn the negatives!! who cares about trade wars and where Anakin Skywalker came from! find some integrate the three way lightsaber fight into Ep2, get Portman back in to actually act a bit as a posed to just saying the lines (you can say these words George but you can't act them) and spread Anakins fall to the dark side over the two films, instead of the Emperor basically going
"you wanna join the dark side?"
"Errrmmm"
" You'll get a cool red lighsaber!!"
"you've got yourself a new apprentice, now lets go kill some Jedi kids!"
As for the new films let wait and see. We'll all slag them off, but will still be queuing to see them.

Post #: 87
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 12:29:41 PM   

quote:

Actually the pressure will be on Kathleen Kennedy as the 'Kevin Feige' of the new LucasFilm. But it's not like she has no experience in such things. I'd say its in good hands.

As far as I can tell, although she has worked on all 4 Indy movies and has a long history of working with Spielberg, she has never been involved in Star Wars. ever.

my initial thought is: Does that mean Spielberg will direct Episode VII? My second is a worry about her lack of SW experience, and my third is "I hope she doesn't pull an "Indy 4" for Indy 5."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 88
RE: Could be a good thing - 31/10/2012 12:32:40 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: AvatarIII

quote:

As far as I can tell, although she has worked on all 4 Indy movies and has a long history of working with Spielberg, she has never been involved in Star Wars. ever.

my initial thought is: Does that mean Spielberg will direct Episode VII? My second is a worry about her lack of SW experience, and my third is "I hope she doesn't pull an "Indy 4" for Indy 5."

I'd take her over Rick McCallum any day of the week. She's produced some of the biggest films of all time and has more than enough experience for the job. Like Paramount did with the Star Trek franchise, Lucasfilm should ditch the stale producers (Rick Berman) and get in fresh blood (JJ Abrams and co).

What is it with Ricks?!

(in reply to AvatarIII)
Post #: 89
RE: Bin ep1 - 31/10/2012 12:33:59 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fancysmith

"you've got yourself a new apprentice, now lets go kill some Jedi kids!"

Anakin has already committed infanticide long before he becomes a Sith ( the Tusken slaughter). It's established throughout the movies that Sith (e.g. the Darth Tyranous stuff) that Anakin knows full well that the Sith do evil things. Committing evil is the price he has to pay for saving Padme, which is all he cares about. People who sell their soul to the devil don't tend to pay in installments

(in reply to fancysmith)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: The best Star Wars related news I've heard since 1999 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI