Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 9:21:40 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

Great news. More Star Wars > Less Star Wars. Who doesn't want brand new SW motion pictures? The only negative is we have to wait until 2015.

Anyone who saw the prequels?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Let's not do any more Terminator or Alien films because the third and fourth are shit.

No there not.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 91
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 9:27:01 AM   
Chief

Bring it on I say. I'd prefer a continuation of the saga, which I think would be the way they'd go, but if it's a remake/boot so be it. More Star Wars is more Star Wars.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 92
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 9:38:41 AM   
UTB

With all the other Star Wars stuff that gets made (Clone Wars etc) another movie makes sense if they can get a good story out of it. At least expectations will be considerably lower than with the last lot so the levels of childhood rape reportage will be lower as well.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 93
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 9:52:53 AM   
Timon

I honestly don't understand all those who hate this news. George Lucas no longer has creative control over Star Wars! There's a chance we'll have decent writing/directing and, as a side-effect, movies!

Think of all the decent writers and directors out there who have always wanted to do a Star Wars film but haven't been able to because Lucas wanted to steer the ship. The man wanted to ensure his creative vision, but had no problem pimping his creations out to Vodafone or whoever else threw money at him. This is the best news ever and with Disney currently treating Pixar and Marvel with due respect, I think Star Wars fans are in for a treat, especially with the likes of Alan Taylor, Joss Whedon, Kenneth Branagh, John Lassenter and Andrew Stanton on their books.

Perhaps now, we'll also get the Original Trilogy on Blu Ray without Hayden Christiansen's ghost at the end! Huzzah!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 94
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 11:04:44 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

One thing I doubt we'll see anytime soon though is the OT-non-special editions on Blu-Ray
Firstly there'd need to be a huge expenditure involved to release anything half decent - let's face it the Laserdisc versions added to the DVD release were pretty ropey. As I understand it, when the Spec Eds were produced they had to completely restore the negative and then the extra stuff was spliced in. To release a HD version where Han shoots first, there's no Jabba etc, wouldn't Disney have to get hold of an unaltered negative and carry out the same work? - really can't see them coughing up to do that. They didn't seem too bothered about fan-feelings when they released The Avengers Blu-ray.

Disney have a world class, well funded, asset management and preservation programme. Assuming part of the deal is the transfer of the original production elements, and I can't see how it wouldn't be, they are probably in better hands at Disney than they ever were at Lucasfilm. Even the stuff Disney has no intention of ever letting back into the light again (Song of the South, the uncensored version of Fantasia, etc.) is preserved and safe. It is the difference between the preservation of a film for posterity and the remastering for re-release. There is an unaltered archival restoration, recorded back to film, for all Disney titles, and the release masters which we ultimately get on Blu-ray and DVD. They are different things with different purposes.

All the material for the Original Trilogy still exists, it just needs to be re-assembled. While it is expensive: probably too expensive for a relatively small company like Lucasfilm, for a major media corporation the economy of scale comes into play. The budget, equipment and staff to carry out this sort of work is already in place. It only requires the will to do so

That doesn't mean they'll release the '77 cut, even if they were to rebuild it, but I'm more hopeful now than I've been for a long time. Disney has a duty to its shareholders whereas Lucas only had a duty to himself. It is one of the key differences between a private and a public company. It becomes less about fan feelings, and more about whether the bean counters think it is financially advantageous to release it.

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 95
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 1:11:26 PM   
UTB

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 96
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 1:14:37 PM   
gazpop

When Dpp speaks it makes me

I agree with the positive thinkers here. Businesses want to make money. The movie-going public want more Star Wars films. Now it can happen. Anyone fancy a pint?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 97
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 1:52:38 PM   
sanchia

At one point I would have been excited by the news, now I am ambivalent. From a good perspective, there are many talented people at Disney who may provide a superior quality product than was provided by Lucas last time around..

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

So sorry, but I did actually. I may be one of the only people who thinks Jack's Joker is an overripe ham.

You and me both. It doesn't take a lot to top that performance.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 31/10/2012 1:56:09 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 98
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 2:46:45 PM   
Jules

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 99
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 2:52:54 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

So sorry, but I did actually. I may be one of the only people who thinks Jack's Joker is an overripe ham.

I think a decent amount of us on this forum feel the same way to be honest. Certainly, any discussion that comes up regarding Nicholson's Joker in Lists and Top 10s is pretty dismissive of his performance.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 100
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 3:27:38 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

I think a decent amount of us on this forum feel the same way to be honest. Certainly, any discussion that comes up regarding Nicholson's Joker in Lists and Top 10s is pretty dismissive of his performance.

My point wasn't that Jack's Joker is good. It was that did people really think Heath Ledger would make a good Joker?

< Message edited by vad3r -- 31/10/2012 3:28:27 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 101
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 3:49:03 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

http://deathstarpr.com/2012/11/what-does-disneys-acquisition-of-lucasfilm-mean-for-the-galactic-empire/

Only thing is...Farquaad doesn't work for Disney *shakes head*

< Message edited by MrsFinkelstein -- 31/10/2012 3:50:55 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 102
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 4:20:17 PM   
Invader_Ace

This deal includes Lucas Arts and stuff, right?

Pirates of the Carribean: Secret of Monkley Island, anyone?

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 103
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 4:56:18 PM   
Angelus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

This deal includes Lucas Arts and stuff, right?

Pirates of the Carribean: Secret of Monkley Island, anyone?

That could only make the PotC films better, seeing as they're Monkey Island without the wit, invention or charm.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 104
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 6:49:00 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I wonder if this means we'll get to see the proper original trilogy on Blu-Ray at some point?

This is really the only plus point of Lucas selling out to the Man.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 105
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 10:03:16 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I actually don't mind his Joker.

Heath's interpretation of Joker blows Jack's out of the water, though. Caesar Romero's is also better than Jack's.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 31/10/2012 10:04:04 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 106
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 31/10/2012 11:55:42 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

My point wasn't that Jack's Joker is good. It was that did people really think Heath Ledger would make a good Joker?

I did...and I took great pleasure in observing idiotic fanboys eat their words.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 107
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 2:45:28 AM   
Shifty Bench

George Lucas is happy. And smoulderingly sexy.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 108
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 10:26:58 AM   
blackduck

Yoda has done ads for Vodafone (thankfully stopping short of calling it Yodafone) and C3PO did ads for Currys, anyone worrying about George selling out to the man and cheapening the franchise well that ship has already sailed.

I am but an egg.

Post #: 109
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 1:21:32 PM   
great_badir

I'm not hugely bothered either way about the whole thing to be honest, but this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
George Lucas no longer has creative control over Star Wars! There's a chance we'll have decent writing/directing and, as a side-effect, movies!

That's a VERY optimistic viewpoint. Unless there has been some cast-iron set in stone very specific contract that decrees Lucas is NOT to have ANY direct involvement (other than creatively as a consultant/producer) with any future Star Wars product, then all that will happen is what I said a few pages ago - he'll just do the same as he did with the prequels and do a u-turn from saying "I'm not gonna have much to do with it", to taking the whole lot on himself.

(I'll caveat the above paragraph there by saying such a contract may well exist - I haven't read too much about this story to know either way, I'm just saying that that is what will almost certainly happen unless there is something like that in place)

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 110
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 8:14:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

George Lucas will use Disney $4 Billion to fund education- click

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 111
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 9:57:03 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I'm not hugely bothered either way about the whole thing to be honest, but this:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
George Lucas no longer has creative control over Star Wars! There's a chance we'll have decent writing/directing and, as a side-effect, movies!

That's a VERY optimistic viewpoint. Unless there has been some cast-iron set in stone very specific contract that decrees Lucas is NOT to have ANY direct involvement (other than creatively as a consultant/producer) with any future Star Wars product, then all that will happen is what I said a few pages ago - he'll just do the same as he did with the prequels and do a u-turn from saying "I'm not gonna have much to do with it", to taking the whole lot on himself.

(I'll caveat the above paragraph there by saying such a contract may well exist - I haven't read too much about this story to know either way, I'm just saying that that is what will almost certainly happen unless there is something like that in place)

I would be very surprised if Disney spent over $4bn on Lucasfilm and not acquired overall creative control in the deal. Lucas, will obviously have a consultancy capacity and Kathleen Kennedy will run Lucasfilm, but I suspect Alan Horn and Disney will be able to take the movies in whichever direction they see fit.

Post #: 112
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 1/11/2012 11:45:09 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Well, the contract states he no longer owns the rights to the properties so he can't just say 'ha! I lied, I'm going to do the lot'. as the properties are no longer his to do whatever he wants with. He now has to ask Disney's permission if he wants to film something related to the franchise and they'd have full control of it if he did.

Creative Consultant only means they can fly ideas past him or ask him questions about the direction of a certain character but that doesn't mean they even have to listen to him. Make no mistake, Disney now own the rights to any new Star Wars or Indiana Jones project, they can do anything they want with them

Post #: 113
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 12:42:53 AM   
gazpop

The way I see it, Disney have 6 or 7 weeks to get the new Star Wars Christmas show ready. Steve Carrell as Luke, Paul Rudd as Han, that Cox woman from friends as Leia and obviously McKellen as Obi-Wan. Xmas sorted!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 114
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 8:42:52 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

The way I see it, Disney have 6 or 7 weeks to get the new Star Wars Christmas show ready. Steve Carrell as Luke, Paul Rudd as Han, that Cox woman from friends as Leia and obviously McKellen as Obi-Wan. Xmas sorted!

Nah - Collectors Edition re-release on Blu-Ray of the Christmas Specials are clearly the way to money

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 115
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 10:02:09 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Nah - Collectors Edition re-release on Blu-Ray of the Christmas Specials are clearly the way to money

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 116
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 10:03:47 AM   
ChickMagnet

Don't play with my feelings here grucl

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 117
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 10:04:52 AM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

The man is clearly scum.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 118
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 10:04:54 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Don't play with my feelings here grucl

< Message edited by grucl -- 2/11/2012 10:05:23 AM >

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 119
RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney - 2/11/2012 10:43:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

The man is clearly scum.

What a strange remark. I know it is sarcasm but there was no real basis for it as I wasn't implying anything with my post. It's all about context, Boaby, you've got to use sarcasm wisely, if you misplace it there will be anarchy. ANARCHY!!!!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The Force Is Strong With... Disney Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI