Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 9:01:43 AM   
elab49

First, I know I'm amazingly lucky as I managed to get the laptop away quickly and cleaned and pretty much absolutely everything still works. No sparks, no blow-ups - *whew*

But, and it's amazing how annoying the little things are, my Home/End PgUp/PgDn buttons don't work any more (or at the moment?). They'd have got the brunt at the end of the keyboard.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of accident? Is that just it and I'll have to live without (and remain thankful the rest is fine).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 10:23:46 AM   
Chief

Is it possible to pop the keys off and give them a clean underneath with some alcohol? Could just be sticky.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 11:42:31 AM   
elab49

It seems to be popping up and down fine - ditto with the key off. It just doesn't action the command on the screen. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 12:09:35 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

First, I know I'm amazingly lucky as I managed to get the laptop away quickly and cleaned and pretty much absolutely everything still works. No sparks, no blow-ups - *whew*

But, and it's amazing how annoying the little things are, my Home/End PgUp/PgDn buttons don't work any more (or at the moment?). They'd have got the brunt at the end of the keyboard.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of accident? Is that just it and I'll have to live without (and remain thankful the rest is fine).

I had a similar incident. It was the end of my Alt key, which made logging on a lot of fun. I also lost several other keys. So I hope this doesn't happen to you.

I had in mind you got a machine recently. If so it may have some spill coverage and I'd encourage you to take it back to a professional if that is the case. As you will normally find a couple of sheets under the keyboard and contacts on the keys. Liquid can get trapped in those, change the behaviour of the contact and make keys not work. You can also lose additional keys over time.

If not the best thing you can do is to:
- Dry it paper towel between the keys that stuff (assuming you've done this)
- Clean it (bit of water or solvent if you can get under those keys as Irn Bru will leave a sticky residue when it evaporates)
- Leave it to dry preferably overnight if you can manage not to use it for a good while.

Good luck!

EDIT Oh and of course disconnect from power, remove battery etc if you are playing around with it too much

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 30/10/2012 12:10:51 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 12:32:55 PM   
jcthefirst

Surely Irn Bru would make everything twice as powerful?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 9:01:32 PM   
gingerdaniel

I spilt red bull on mine, bloody thing flew off.

Replacement keyboards aren't very expensive if you want to swap it, and it's relatively easy to do. It's a piece of piss for me! What laptop is it? Model number/make?

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 6
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 30/10/2012 9:02:42 PM   
elab49

Toshiba Satellite C670-IC8

I didn't know you could replace laptop keyboards.

quote:

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 7
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 31/10/2012 2:25:45 PM   
elab49

That looks like mine - I think the IC8 bit is just a processor/memory reference. And it looks worryingly easy too!

Thank you

quote:

Post #: 8
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 31/10/2012 5:55:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Is it possible to pop the keys off and give them a clean underneath with some alcohol? Could just be sticky.

Clean something with alcohol? Come on, that's tantamount to treason in Scotland.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 9
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 10/11/2012 6:59:20 PM   
elab49

This is just odd. I've switched to IE as the site has gone down in Firefox, as it does every weekend. And the damndest thing - I've been away so not able to change my keyboard but then Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys all work in IE but don't work in Firefox.

I'm not sure how that's even possible?

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 10
RE: Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? - 11/11/2012 3:31:32 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Clean something with alcohol? Come on, that's tantamount to treason in Scotland.

Well it's a choice between that or sending the miners down into those deep pockets to pay for a repair

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Irn Bru Lap Top Incident - Is there no hope? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI