Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hurricane Sandy - Super storm

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Hurricane Sandy - Super storm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:01:46 PM   
Ghidorah

Hurricane Sandy haven't reached North America yet but already there are flooding and lost of lives. Already there are streets knee deep in water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVFPwzXjZE

Makes me wonder how bad things will get in the coming hours and days. If this is now then what will come in the coming hours?
Post #: 1
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:07:30 PM   
elab49

I'm slightly confused by the stories around this and the 'ooooo' 70mph wind speed stuff. We've had at least one bout earlier this year worse than that - surely this 'perfect storm' type thing has to be bigger? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 2
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:16:22 PM   
sharkboy

Its not just the wind speed that is making this "Frankenstorm". A lot of the damage is likely to come from the potential longevity it may have, as it is prevented from dispersing into the Atlantic by high pressure to the north and cold strong winds from the north west. This, coupled with very high tides and potentially huge storm surges brings this one well into the potential for "batten down the hatches and kiss your ass goodbye" classification. Thus, the "perfect storm", or more accurately, one fucker of a storm created by the perfect conditions.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:25:37 PM   
elab49

See, why can't the news put it like that

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:27:25 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm slightly confused by the stories around this and the 'ooooo' 70mph wind speed stuff. We've had at least one bout earlier this year worse than that - surely this 'perfect storm' type thing has to be bigger? 

One news report the wind is up to 125mph.

In this link is a 'sky scraper' crane twisted by the wind.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/new-york-crane-collapse/index.html

I think part of the problem are people used to weather warnings that rarely develope to being something serious. I think channel 4 news mention New Yorkers ignored the warnings and now regretting it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:41:00 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've got a friend in Princeton, NJ and he's right in the path. While he's posting on FB I know he's safe

Lulu has said that the county next to her is due 24 inches of snow whereas her town is in the wind/rain zone.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 6
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 8:41:56 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Pictures doing the rounds on FB and Twitter and other mediums that some people think are real

http://www.buzzfeed.com/reyhan/viral-photos-that-arent-hurricane-sandy

Wish no 10 was!!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 10:25:01 PM   
Woger

I'm in NY about 200 meters from the ocean, I think we'll be ok. Atlantic City and Pennsylvania will get it very bad. Even upstate NY will get flooding from the rain.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 8
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 29/10/2012 11:17:10 PM   
Ghidorah

New York Fire department tweeted multiple dwelling building collasped.

MAN 2-ALARM 92 8TH AVE, MULTIPLE DWELLING BUILDING COLLAPSE,

I had a quick look at the building on google map. It might not be the correct building but it's hard to believe it could collapse by the wind.

Edit

The building haven't collasped but it has suffered damage.

< Message edited by Ghidorah -- 29/10/2012 11:23:47 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 31/10/2012 12:14:00 AM   
Deviation

As a wise man once said, "I'm glad I'm not in New Jersey right now".

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 10
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 3/11/2012 9:04:00 AM   
sanchia

So the New York Marathon has now been cancelled. A little late in the day to be honest. I can see why though considering that many powerful generators have been diverted to the marathon rather than areas where power has still not been restored.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 11
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 3/11/2012 9:35:10 AM   
Skiba

70 or so dead in Haiti yet there's little to no coverage...now there's a country that needs its infrastructure to be working. New York will recover very quickly.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 12
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 3/11/2012 3:23:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

70 or so dead in Haiti yet there's little to no coverage...now there's a country that needs its infrastructure to be working. New York will recover very quickly.

Wasn't that because it still wasn't a Frankenstorm by then and sadly, very sadly, those things are quite common in Haiti (made much sadder considering the country is both poor and a mess)?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 13
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 4/11/2012 10:25:18 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Wasn't that because it still wasn't a Frankenstorm by then and sadly, very sadly, those things are quite common in Haiti (made much sadder considering the country is both poor and a mess)?

I'm not sure. I know that they're prone to extreme weather, but I can't imagine that many deaths are a regular occurence. I may be wrong though. Many more are dying through widespread cholera now too. It just seems rather biased coverage to the States with in-depth analysis of power outages, fuel shortages etc. Of course these are important but these will be sorted in a matter of days, whereas Haiti won't ever recover, and slowly go further into extreme poverty.

But then New York are going to be getting Jon Bon Jovi singing for them, so, swings and roundabouts.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 14
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 4/11/2012 1:46:50 PM   
Deviation

Big-scale nature-related deaths are not uncommon un Haiti, and I had heard that the storm had caused lots of fatalities in Haiti, also part of why it was a concern when it was coming to the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_in_Haiti

Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 is a true bitch, 3,000 dead.

Also, it's not bias, it's just exposure. The US are a strong nation close to an election that found themselves a superstorm. Haiti is Haiti.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/11/2012 1:47:30 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 15
RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm - 4/11/2012 7:22:12 PM   
Mister Coe

Really pissed off, my aunt was supposed to be coming over for my cousins wedding (her only son) but all flights are cancelled.

Damn you, weather!

Say what now?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Hurricane Sandy - Super storm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI