Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Queen saved Bond..?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Queen saved Bond..? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Queen saved Bond..? - 27/10/2012 3:30:12 PM   
garjobo

I write this with a heavy heart afterall i was expecting so very much from this Bond movie....

I'm perplexed..really totally and utterly perplexed. Why has Skyfall received such an overwhelmingly amount of excellent..truly excellent reviews? Why do so many of these reviews claim that the films one or two niggles is length of film and slows down in a patchy 3rd act. Are they all in Sams basking glow...is it that when an action movie has a poem read whilst a shoot-out occurs it automatically becomes 'arty' and 5 stars written all over it...Has Queenies influence back in the Summer given Bond that added kudos..Don't mess with Bond - he has royality on his side - 5 stars. These must be the reasons..because the film itself is a total shambles.

What planet are these reviewers on. I'm a Bond fan - in movies and books - I'm a fan..not fanatic and happy to critic as much as anyone. Having witnessed the mess that is Skyfall ( sadly ) I am truly stunned that the critics havent torn it to shreds.

This film was 4 yrs in the making, time enough to sort out a cohert story ( how the heck they can tack on that 3rd act is totally and utterly beyond me..it makes Bond going into space more plausible..and much more fun. ) I wont give away spoilers...but to anyone whose see it - it makes no sense 'trying to protect M' yet isolating her and leaving a trail of 'breadcrumbs' so she'll be found...it's pathetic. The Bond girl - what little there was of her - was also terribly written..and again..badly written...I know sleep with Bond and you die scenerio...i got all the in-jokes don't worry..but...for her to basically throw her life away after meeting this chap for 2minutes....its...terrible.

Now, there is some good in there, the opening money shots, the theme, the credits ( until they start to run out of ideas and recycle imagery...they really do!! )....the performances are all top notch..excellent...Craig never better..brillaint...ok..moody..but looking very Steve McQueen ( crossed with Sid James )..its a good look ok! ..Loved Mallory...the bit part players..the use of music at very moments...the car...and heck the 3rd act. Loved the 3rd act..but it wasnt a Bond movie 3rd act...but it was good really good...but boy o boy did we have to suffer to get there.

All these reviews stating the 3rd act was slow...not a jot of it...it flew in..like I say, i dont know what planet these reviewers are on. The trouble was the 1st and 2nd act....nothing happened...nothing...literally...just endless talk bubbles..endless introductions..no real menance (the villian of the piece - again excellent performance ) but little to do in the end. A couple ( literally ) of fistie-cuff fights - over way too soon and then..back to the speeches.

Thats what killed this movie. The worry is..audiences are expecting big things from this 5star movie..and they wont get them. I swear one chap was snoring in our audience, a few left early and someone behind ..well wont repeat word for word but think along the lines of....How long is this movie..its boring the....'...and I have to totally agree.

So..will this Bond movie hurt the franschise...i may do...I'll be interested in word of mouth on this movie...obviously it'll be a boxoffice hit..but will it really do the business once the marketing campaign ends and word of mouth propells the movie onto real blockbuster status....from my audience reaction it won't ( who was out of there seats before the gunbarrel sequence was over - seriously..i mean..what does that tell you!! ).

At the very least I suppose it makes the choice of Top 5 Bonds and bottom 5 Bonds that little bit easier...whereas it was always Diamonds at the end for me..now I have to ( sadly ) put Skyfall way down there. A few great lines, a few great moments, and yes..a terrific 3rd act aside...isn't enough to save Bond this time around.

Interested in your thoughts on this..

Post #: 1
RE: The Queen saved Bond..? - 27/10/2012 9:19:07 PM   
elab49

Please use existing Skyfall review thread 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to garjobo)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Queen saved Bond..? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI