Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

_In Our Lifetime_

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> _In Our Lifetime_ Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
_In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 9:52:13 AM   
Titanm21

So me and a mate at work was talking about what future acheivements will we see within our life time (we’re early 30’s). Our main guess would be manned walk on Mars, but not by NASA but by the Chinese.

What future worldy achievements do you think you’ll see in your lifetime?

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]
Post #: 1
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 9:55:48 AM   
DancingClown

Cure for HIV/AIDS. Can only be a matter of time considering how far the treatment has come since the 80s. And while not maybe a full cure for cancer, at least very significant progress. These are what I'm hoping for anyway.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 10:04:25 AM   
Hood_Man

A Brit winning Wimbledon.

Wales beating New Zealand at Rugby.

Labour or The Conservatives not winning a General Election.

First contact with an alien life form.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 3
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:31:57 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
Labour or The Conservatives not winning a General Election.

...not sure I like the options that that event will leave...

I'd like to think sorting out the world's debt crisis, as it still seems to be getting worse rather than better. Something like that should easily be achievable within our lifetime, but with so many countries now affected I can equally believe that it'll rumble on forever.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 23/10/2012 12:33:43 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:36:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

A sequel to Battleship

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:38:54 PM   
jcthefirst

Alright, DK. We get it.

I think a manned mission to Mars is a good shout.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 6
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:45:08 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

A sequel to Battleship

Hungry Hungry Hippos?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 7
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:48:07 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

A sequel to Battleship

Hungry Hungry Hippos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6WCZ3cZ27U

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 8
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:55:45 PM   
vad3r

I lose my virginity.

I become a Mod.

First non-human President.

4D

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 9
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 12:57:23 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

A sequel to Battleship

Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Did you get that from the Liam Neeson/Andy Samberg link I posted a while back?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 1:11:13 PM   
Timon

A massive earthquake that will devastate the affected country
The adoption of alternative energy
Another major terrorist attack that will deepen religious ideologies in certain countries
Man's return to the Moon
A female US president
A UK PM that isn't a white guy.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 11
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 1:12:32 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I'd be happy with a PM who isn't a massive cunt.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 1:16:35 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 13
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 1:17:30 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
quote:

quote:

I suppose that means I have to do a full on Jimmy now...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 14
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 1:57:15 PM   
Titanm21

Another Korean War.

The fall of America and a Superpower

12 more Res Evil films

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 15
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 2:20:57 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

12 more Res Evil films

In your lifetime?  You'll probably have that in your 30s!

Here's what I foresee:

Medical - cure for cancer; medical treatments using nanotechnology; cloned replacement organs (or a way to use genetic material to make bodies accept artificial/transplanted organs with no side effects); eradication of Alzheimers; designer babies

Transport - all cars have to be at least hybrid; liquid hydrogen pumps in forecourts; permanent presence on the moon which will be mined for resources; humans on Mars; hypersonic airliners; all major cities to have car share schemes (think of Boris' bikes but with 4 wheels!)

Social - smart clothes; legalisation of most drugs; legalised prostituion in select areas; walled and gated communities in the UK; zero-energy buildings such as Passivhaus homes become compulsory; reduction in voting age to 15; 80% of the population with at least one tattoo!

Political - maybe some changes in terms of gender or race of the person in charge, but apart from that preciousl little!  Perhaps a new centre-left party from the ashes of the Lib Dems that starts to look attractive enough as a viable alternative to the big two?  World-wide, an increase in far-right ideological parties and a partial return towards cold-war sensibilities with Russia

Science - Grand Unified Theory; major progress towards cold fusion; big advances in nanotechnology and robotics; cloud computing to become the norm for data storage; domestic 3d printers

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 16
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 2:34:12 PM   
borstal

A wider selection of cheeses.

Something that forces your brain to give you the information you know it has but is currently refusing to until 20 minutes after you've gone to bed.

A retina scarring laser that I fire from my bike into the eyes of car drivers who cut in front of me on road bends or pull out forcing me to brake when going uphill. The rsulting scar leaves the word 'twat' etched on their vision forever.

A cure for cancer and all religion to vanish.

Bill Hicks to get cloned.

More Jet.

YFU to finally get my dogtags.

< Message edited by borstal -- 23/10/2012 2:35:12 PM >

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 2:35:52 PM   
Woger

Personally I don't think humans wll land on Mars due to the following;
time it takes to get there
the long term effect of being outside earths gravity
what can be achieved that can't be achieved with more advanced robotics

Having said that there is always the chance there could be a one way mission, and China would be my option for that.
I'm also skeptical of a cure for cancer as it's not some monolithic disease (maybe cures for certain cancers).

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 3:17:55 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Personally I don't think humans wll land on Mars due to the following;
time it takes to get there
the long term effect of being outside earths gravity

Humans have already shown that longer-term space missions are possible, and most of the ill effects of zero gravity can be mitigated against (spinning ship, treadmills to slow or prevent muscle atrophy, vitamin supplements etc)
quote:

what can be achieved that can't be achieved with more advanced robotics

Human footprints on ANOTHER FREAKIN' PLANET!!

quote:

I'm also skeptical of a cure for cancer as it's not some monolithic disease (maybe cures for certain cancers).

Yeah, it'll start by curing specific cancers, but advances in gene therapy will make a more widespread cure a possibility (I hope!)

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 19
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 3:56:58 PM   
galvatron

Transporter machine... so I can commute to a job on the other side of the world in a flash.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 20
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 4:00:11 PM   
great_badir

I like how sharky is all medical and science breakthroughs, and borstal is cheese and a gladiator. Like how in the film of The Song Remains the Same, Page, Plant and Jones' fantasy sequences are all airy fairy, magic and adventure, whilst Bonzo's is to be a brickie and have a pint in his local.

quote:

Having said that there is always the chance there could be a one way mission, and China would be my option for that.

They do seem to generally have a very low opinion of their young, particularly girls, so I would be tempted to agree.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 21
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 4:06:41 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

They do seem to generally have a very low opinion of their young, particularly girls, so I would be tempted to agree.

True. Plus if there are any Martians up there, it gives them a good idea of what 1/4 of the population looks like

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 22
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 4:11:13 PM   
Woger

One thing I hope to see (it's nothing earth shattering for a lot of people and won't have great benefits like medical research, although it looks like the traditional Out of Africa idea will be revised) is what will come from more research into the human genome and genetic studies of various world populations. This should give us an idea of migrations throughout history and how closely populations resemble each other.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 23
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 23/10/2012 4:35:14 PM   
Titanm21

Few people have mentioned cures for certain illnesses... not going to happen. why? Because there is no profit in it

I also foresee a rise in Corporate power over laws and the way we live our lives (after all they're are the ones with Money) Governments will be just administrators as their money will come from corporate backing.

Jesus I even depressed myself with that… Right Positive… technology moving away from phones (and all we have that goes with them). Maybe mind controlled glasses/HUDs

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 24
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 7:37:52 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

One thing I hope to see (it's nothing earth shattering for a lot of people and won't have great benefits like medical research, although it looks like the traditional Out of Africa idea will be revised) is what will come from more research into the human genome and genetic studies of various world populations. This should give us an idea of migrations throughout history and how closely populations resemble each other.

Funny you should mention this - I was just re-reading Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything, and the one passage that struck me as really odd this time was that genetic traces of homo erectus (no sniggering at the back!) have been found in populations in Java and China.  And Oxfordshire.  Seems that the practice of going to any lengths to get your leg over may in fact have been genetic

WWLD?

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 25
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 7:56:21 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

Few people have mentioned cures for certain illnesses... not going to happen. why? Because there is no profit in it

Possibly the case for third world diseases, but I would imagine any company who comes up with a cure for cancer is going to be rolling in it. After the money they will have spent (and still do spend) trying to find a cure, I would imagine treatment would cost in the tens of thousands, but who wouldn't spend that money? People would re-mortgage their houses to cure themselves of cancer.
Certainly as a consequence, the cigarette companies will make a fortune as no-one will bother trying to quit. And therefore the smoker will start looking cool again like they did in the 70's
(I've always wondered why the cigarette companies don't invest millions into finding a cure for cancer, or even advertise on their packets that 20% of their profits goes to cancer fighting charities. It's a win-win situation for them)

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 26
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 10:30:25 AM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Possibly the case for third world diseases, but I would imagine any company who comes up with a cure for cancer is going to be rolling in it. After the money they will have spent (and still do spend) trying to find a cure, I would imagine treatment would cost in the tens of thousands, but who wouldn't spend that money? People would re-mortgage their houses to cure themselves of cancer.
Certainly as a consequence, the cigarette companies will make a fortune as no-one will bother trying to quit. And therefore the smoker will start looking cool again like they did in the 70's
(I've always wondered why the cigarette companies don't invest millions into finding a cure for cancer, or even advertise on their packets that 20% of their profits goes to cancer fighting charities. It's a win-win situation for them)

Actually good point that, why havent ciggy companies tried to find a cure for cancer.

I disagree about the cancer cure though, cause once its cured then there is no profit to be made. unless they can only cure it after you get it kinda thing. Then its a constant business stream I guess.

But aye if you can cure it after you get it then that company will just have a licence to print money,

And it wasnt the smoking that made men look cool in the 70's it was the brown leather jackets, tashes and madalions

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 3:27:35 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

quote:

A sequel to Battleship

Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Did you get that from the Liam Neeson/Andy Samberg link I posted a while back?

No, I genuinely thought I was being original

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 28
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 8:29:32 PM   
Rhubarb

I think we stand a good chance of seeing capatalism fall to pieces, and if not, then a return to a cold-war state of affairs where a different ideology is fighting for domininance with capatalism.

The internet will become over-policed, to the annoyance of absolutely everyone, and our generations will bore young kids to absolute tears with tales of the things we could get away with doing back when the internet was newish.

America will fall as the worlds great power eventually. The UK will continue to overestimate its importance in world matters.

Despite the threats from piracy, the music, movie and book industries will all be fine, if not as profitable as in the pre-web era.

Maybe the destruction of the world? I always thought it was basically inevitable with one thing and another when I was younger, but mankind has a way of pulling through these things I guess.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 29
RE: _In Our Lifetime_ - 24/10/2012 10:34:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
The internet will become over-policed, to the annoyance of absolutely everyone, and our generations will bore young kids to absolute tears with tales of the things we could get away with doing back when the internet was newish.

Steady now. Down with this sort of thing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
Maybe the destruction of the world?

Less in your lifetime, more ending your life time...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> _In Our Lifetime_ Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI