Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 1:58:58 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES
quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

My views on Scot Pilgrim have now gone full circle.It's still a creatively stylish looking film but the two main characters are so shallow its beyond words.On second viewing I really couldn't care less about them.

I thought that was the point about Scott Pilgrim...

Well, it worked.

I don't think Scott Pilgrim will ever be considered as a classic and will forever be slotted into cult category. The problem with it is that it is aimed at a very specific and relatively small niche audience, who were a certain age in a certain timeframe - as someone in my early 30s, pretty much the entire film went completely over my head, and that will be repeated with every new audient that comes to it.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 151
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 4:52:22 PM   
MDG_78

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Dark City
Sunshine
Prometheus
Dredd
Cloud Atlas

I agree with all on that list really but I'm a big sci-fi fan - Sunshine is something that has a horror and terror about it that is depressing but ends on a high whilst still remains haunting. Perhaps some aspects of the ending are silly but still, has an impact.

Another Danny Boyle film to mention is Trance - one of the year's best and I still don't know what to make of it in terms of the story and characters and their motivations and whom to trust and whom not to. Recommend this strongly.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 152
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 5:04:26 PM   
MDG_78

quote:

ORIGINAL: OhGoodForYou

Not necessarily undrerated as such... and perhaps some already classics in their own right... but my guess for movies that will be greatly revered in years to come, would be...

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Assassination of Jesse James
No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

For a genuinely underrated choice, I think maybe The Book of Eli will gain a cult following.

Most of those ARE considered classics - five star reviews, lots of awards, mentioned quite frequently amongst films fans. I mean on ANOTHER magazine's site they labelled There Will Be Blood film of the 00's!! City Of God was always rated, Children Of Men and Minority Report drew high praise as did Moon. No Country and Hurt Locker Oscar winners for pete's sake!

An genuinely under-rated film that becomes a classic is something that flops on its release, isn't love by either critics/audience but over time finds an audience and becomes a bona fide classic - two great examples from history are It's A Wonderful Life and The Shawshank Redemption.

Someone mentioned Melancholia earlier - I agree, that film haunted me for days. Slow at times of course but Dunst, despite hating her at first, was terrific how she wasn't nominated for more awards I'll never know and the moment Keifer Sutherland's character realised he had his calculations wrong gave me chills.

(in reply to OhGoodForYou)
Post #: 153
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI