Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 1:58:58 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES
quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

My views on Scot Pilgrim have now gone full circle.It's still a creatively stylish looking film but the two main characters are so shallow its beyond words.On second viewing I really couldn't care less about them.

I thought that was the point about Scott Pilgrim...

Well, it worked.

I don't think Scott Pilgrim will ever be considered as a classic and will forever be slotted into cult category. The problem with it is that it is aimed at a very specific and relatively small niche audience, who were a certain age in a certain timeframe - as someone in my early 30s, pretty much the entire film went completely over my head, and that will be repeated with every new audient that comes to it.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 151
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 4:52:22 PM   
MDG_78

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Dark City
Sunshine
Prometheus
Dredd
Cloud Atlas

I agree with all on that list really but I'm a big sci-fi fan - Sunshine is something that has a horror and terror about it that is depressing but ends on a high whilst still remains haunting. Perhaps some aspects of the ending are silly but still, has an impact.

Another Danny Boyle film to mention is Trance - one of the year's best and I still don't know what to make of it in terms of the story and characters and their motivations and whom to trust and whom not to. Recommend this strongly.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 152
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 21/11/2013 5:04:26 PM   
MDG_78

quote:

ORIGINAL: OhGoodForYou

Not necessarily undrerated as such... and perhaps some already classics in their own right... but my guess for movies that will be greatly revered in years to come, would be...

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Assassination of Jesse James
No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

For a genuinely underrated choice, I think maybe The Book of Eli will gain a cult following.

Most of those ARE considered classics - five star reviews, lots of awards, mentioned quite frequently amongst films fans. I mean on ANOTHER magazine's site they labelled There Will Be Blood film of the 00's!! City Of God was always rated, Children Of Men and Minority Report drew high praise as did Moon. No Country and Hurt Locker Oscar winners for pete's sake!

An genuinely under-rated film that becomes a classic is something that flops on its release, isn't love by either critics/audience but over time finds an audience and becomes a bona fide classic - two great examples from history are It's A Wonderful Life and The Shawshank Redemption.

Someone mentioned Melancholia earlier - I agree, that film haunted me for days. Slow at times of course but Dunst, despite hating her at first, was terrific how she wasn't nominated for more awards I'll never know and the moment Keifer Sutherland's character realised he had his calculations wrong gave me chills.

(in reply to OhGoodForYou)
Post #: 153
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 15/5/2014 3:06:55 AM   
steff4

I think Scott pilgrim will be on lists (cult or otherwise) for the film most likely to be unearthed and no.1 on people's fave films. However much ppl bring it up online, I still think it has been overlooked by the public and I think it will gain more and more fans throughout the years. I was in the age bracket for this film but I don't play video games at all and a lot of references (still) pass over my head. Yet the style and wit of it won me over and the details on the film that I discover with each viewing is amazing. I think people make a big deal of how overreferential it all is and it only appeals to a certain audience when all it requires is to be openminded. I certainly can't name all the references and callbacks in Tarantino's movies or be a child for the latest Disney film to properly appreciate it but that doesn't stop me from trying to enjoy it and enter into the spirit of things.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 154
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 10/7/2014 10:44:16 AM   
IamMax

Idiocracy and maybe Office Space. I think they're under-rated, or maybe just cult which I'm not sure is the same thing. I always end up watching them anyway.

(in reply to steff4)
Post #: 155
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 10/7/2014 5:56:07 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: steff4

I think Scott pilgrim will be on lists (cult or otherwise) for the film most likely to be unearthed and no.1 on people's fave films. However much ppl bring it up online, I still think it has been overlooked by the public and I think it will gain more and more fans throughout the years. I was in the age bracket for this film but I don't play video games at all and a lot of references (still) pass over my head. Yet the style and wit of it won me over and the details on the film that I discover with each viewing is amazing. I think people make a big deal of how overreferential it all is and it only appeals to a certain audience when all it requires is to be openminded. I certainly can't name all the references and callbacks in Tarantino's movies or be a child for the latest Disney film to properly appreciate it but that doesn't stop me from trying to enjoy it and enter into the spirit of things.

The real problem with Scott Pilgrim is that the guy is an awful main character and the whole thing balances on whether anyone cares about his quest for romance. If he's just a prick, what does it matter. The weird sense of humour and the tone which never settles on being drama or fantasy may alienate most of the audience on top of this, but that's the core problem. Edgar Wright's other movies are all really over referential too, but they work as the films are better, even if World's End is hit and miss. It will always be a cult movie because the real meat of the story is unlikeable for many people.

< Message edited by rich -- 10/7/2014 5:59:46 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to steff4)
Post #: 156
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 10/7/2014 9:11:02 PM   
Ax101

Death At A Funeral (UK version)

This was an excellent British black comedy with a fantastic cast and it is hilarious throughout yet I think it slipped under the radar. Then an American remake with Chris Rock/Martin Lawrence was released further slipping it into obscurity.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 157
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 10/7/2014 9:21:08 PM   
jackcarter

Exodus

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 158
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 29/7/2014 11:35:25 AM   
DustyKramKram

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but OBLIVION feels like something that may come to be more appreciated with time. Decent science fiction that doesn't utterly shit the bed in the final act is surprisingly hard to come by, so something like OBLIVION that more or less makes it to its finale without any major narrative or thematic hiccups will probably be rediscovered at some point down the line and over-lauded for being just fine.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 159
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 29/7/2014 7:59:38 PM   
Senor Benedict

OK, I'd love for MIRACLE MILE to be re-discovered... one of my fave films but I don't know anyone else who has ever seen it...

A big DVD / BLU release might do it...

(in reply to DustyKramKram)
Post #: 160
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 31/7/2014 11:24:47 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: DustyKramKram

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but OBLIVION feels like something that may come to be more appreciated with time. Decent science fiction that doesn't utterly shit the bed in the final act is surprisingly hard to come by, so something like OBLIVION that more or less makes it to its finale without any major narrative or thematic hiccups will probably be rediscovered at some point down the line and over-lauded for being just fine.

It borrowed too much from other, better films for it to be much of it's own never mind a cult classic. Just bland and derivative, without ever really capitalizing on the creepy "alien" bits in the first half and didn't offer enough real dilemma once the main plot revelations come along.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DustyKramKram)
Post #: 161
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/8/2014 8:18:14 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

The real problem with Scott Pilgrim is that the guy is an awful main character

Summed up my opinion on the film in 1 sentence. Completely unlikeable, I never got into it at all, from the first minute to the last.
If there was a thread for Which Popular Film Will Be Considered A Future Turkey? it would be the first film I thought of.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 162
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/8/2014 12:41:51 AM   
ElephantBoy

Zero Dark Thirty
The Wrestler
Mulholland Drive (I guess critics already see it as a classic, still audiences remain mixed on it)
Shame
The Master
A History of Violence
Inside Llewyn Davis
Drive
Bridesmaids
The Virgin Suicides

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 163
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/8/2014 6:27:25 PM   
kingalan

I think Under The Skin has all the elements of a seminal piece of work. Thought-provoking, original and resonant long after the credits have rolled. It's the most recent example of something which fits the title of this thread IMO.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 164
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/8/2014 9:57:55 PM   
Senor Benedict

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER... lovely movie...

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 165
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/8/2014 10:13:56 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

I think Under The Skin has all the elements of a seminal piece of work. Thought-provoking, original and resonant long after the credits have rolled. It's the most recent example of something which fits the title of this thread IMO.

I'm still undecided as to whether it's brilliance is due to it actually being that good or whether it's just the fact that it was so unique in a sea of mediocrity, which doesn't necessarily mean something is brilliant...

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 166
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/8/2014 10:20:05 PM   
Whistler

I think Under The Skin is interesting/intriguing/ambiguous/unique/ambitious and all that jazz, but I just didn't enjoy watching it. Like, at all. Even Scarlett Johansson didn't help. I sort of admire it, but I can't imagine watching it again.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 167
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 4/8/2014 7:54:52 PM   
wdruck

I think the Purge: Anarchy, and possibly the first too, will at the very least gain a substantial cult following and may be highly regarded for their ambition if nothing else. I know both movies have their problems but I feel they will stand the test of time better than much of the James Wan cannon.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 168
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 6/8/2014 8:25:55 PM   
Hypado

For me:

The Expendables Trilogy
47 Ronin
Prisoners

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 169
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 9/8/2014 9:27:44 PM   
skivvy69

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdruck

I think the Purge: Anarchy, and possibly the first too, will at the very least gain a substantial cult following and may be highly regarded for their ambition if nothing else. I know both movies have their problems but I feel they will stand the test of time better than much of the James Wan cannon.

I never liked those movies. Maybe it was just my inability to move past how the concept vaguely rips off an episode of Star Trek.

As for my contribution, maybe something like:

Rachel Getting Married
Cabin in the Woods
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Warm Bodies (Don't judge me.)

Also, Perks of Being A Wallflower was notable just for the performances of Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller, and I think that if Lerman's career ever takes off like everyone's been predicting for the past 800 million years Perks will end up getting more attention in retrospect.

< Message edited by skivvy69 -- 9/8/2014 9:34:18 PM >

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 170
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 9/8/2014 10:59:13 PM   
UTB

Yet to see Rachael Getting Married but I certainly want to.

(in reply to skivvy69)
Post #: 171
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 9/8/2014 11:18:57 PM   
skivvy69

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Definitely do! Anne Hathaway makes that movie, best performance she's ever given. Really proved herself as an actress.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 172
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 10/8/2014 12:26:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: skivvy69

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Definitely do! Anne Hathaway makes that movie, best performance she's ever given. Really proved herself as an actress.

Good call, she is very good, and to be fair has not looked back since.

(in reply to skivvy69)
Post #: 173
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 12/8/2014 10:44:05 AM   
Jesy_par

It's up for a theatrical release on Boxing Day.

I've been checking because anything with a Duplass and Aubrey Plaza in it has my attention.

< Message edited by Jesy_par -- 21/8/2014 9:05:29 AM >

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 174
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 16/8/2014 11:42:26 PM   
max314

The Wachowskis' post-Matrix filmography.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 175
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 18/8/2014 11:04:49 AM   
IamMax

Okay, maybe some will say it's not under-rated because of the fanboy types who love Kubrick but given the general critical disappointment and amount of people who just
plain seem to hate it, I will also say Eyes Wide Shut. Again, Tim Krieder opened my eyes to the film and it really is kind of about the ends of ages and more - it's just that big.
Unless I'm reading into it things that aren't there and it's just a failed adult movie.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 176
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 23/8/2014 10:05:33 AM   
IamMax

Also, don't think it's been said yet - Trading Places. Not under-rated in the sense nobody thinks it's good, but I think it's even probably better than has been rated.

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 177
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 23/8/2014 11:32:16 AM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: IamMax

Also, don't think it's been said yet - Trading Places. Not under-rated in the sense nobody thinks it's good, but I think it's even probably better than has been rated.

It's already a classic. I don't think I've ever seen or heard a bad word said about it. But yes, I suppose it doesn't get shouted about quite as much as other comedies from the era.

"Beef Jerky time!"

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 178
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 23/8/2014 6:33:44 PM   
Chris Boomen

Here you go for bad words about trading places:
Too little replay value for the amount of times it's getting played during the holidays. It's started to bore and annoy me. Also, it's story is basically a polished turd.

On topic:
I could see Saving Mr. Banks become a holiday classic.

< Message edited by Chris Boomen -- 23/8/2014 6:35:01 PM >

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 179
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 23/8/2014 9:23:26 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

Here you go for bad words about trading places:
Too little replay value for the amount of times it's getting played during the holidays. It's started to bore and annoy me. Also, it's story is basically a polished turd.

Burn the heretic!

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI