Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 29/10/2012 9:33:23 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I will Call it quits.

Bye-Bye

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 61
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 29/10/2012 10:21:00 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I will Call it quits.

Bye-Bye

I didn't say I was going anywhere. Hope you didn't spend too much time getting that clip

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 29/10/2012 10:22:46 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 62
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 30/10/2012 4:14:47 PM   
OhGoodForYou

Not necessarily undrerated as such... and perhaps some already classics in their own right... but my guess for movies that will be greatly revered in years to come, would be...

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Assassination of Jesse James
No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

For a genuinely underrated choice, I think maybe The Book of Eli will gain a cult following.

< Message edited by OhGoodForYou -- 30/10/2012 4:34:22 PM >

Absolutely HATED Prometheus!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 63
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 30/10/2012 5:42:45 PM   
vad3r

You want underrated? Here are two films that are underrated:

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to OhGoodForYou)
Post #: 64
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/11/2012 5:50:35 PM   
Tidus

Richard Ayoade's Submarine

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 65
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/11/2012 9:34:22 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Rescue Dawn. Granted it was quite well recieved but I think it's a brilliant film.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 66
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/11/2012 3:43:13 AM   
DollaHolla

quote:

ORIGINAL: OhGoodForYou

Oldboy

This is the only film I've seen in my lifetime that I could call a classic. Definitely not for all audiences but absolutely amazing in its own right.

For under-rated I would most definitely go with the Korean film: "Princess Aurora" or "Orora Gongju"

I also very much enjoyed the British Sci-Fi flick "Never Let Me Go" 

& out of left field I say "La Horde" was the most classic zombie film of the past 10 yrs

Post #: 67
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 25/3/2013 12:42:08 PM   
Mr Gittes

I have this kind of feeling about The Grey. At least becoming a cult classic of its genre anyway.

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 68
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 25/3/2013 1:24:32 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

Not necessarily undrerated as such... and perhaps some already classics in their own right... but my guess for movies that will be greatly revered in years to come, would be...

No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

For a genuinely underrated choice, I think maybe The Book of Eli will gain a cult following.

Absolutely for the highlighted pair, I would even say that Pans Labyrinth is one of the greatest, if not the greatest film of the noughties

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 69
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 25/3/2013 1:28:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas

quote:

No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

Absolutely for the highlighted pair, I would even say that Pans Labyrinth is one of the greatest, if not the greatest film of the noughties

Just to highlight some more,though you could easily say some a deemed as classics already.

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 70
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 25/3/2013 2:47:36 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas

quote:

No Country for Old Men
Let the Right One In
There Will Be Blood
American Splendor
Moonrise Kingdom
The Hurt Locker
Children of Men
Minority Report
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
The Machinst
The Wrestler
Mystic River
City of God
District 9
Oldboy
Moon
Drive

Just to highlight some more,though you could easily say some a deemed as classics already.

Surprised you didn't highlight Oldboy. One of the first movies that springs to mind on the topic of heralded classics made in recent years. May the movie-gods bless you for including Assassination Of Jesse James. A criminally underrated masterpiece right there. It and Zodiac were so unforgivably shafted by the Oscars, it's ridiculous. Good on you for listing The Hurt Locker as well. I can't really think of another Best Picture winner that's so underrated. Naturally, with Jaws as my favourite movie, I adore intense films, so I bloody loved this

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 71
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 28/3/2013 10:07:45 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

The Dark Knight Rises

I know this is a joke but I think in a few years after the hype and expectation has died down, Rises will be appreciated more by fans (cos it's still pretty good from critics standpoint) and it will stand on an equal footing with Begins and Dark Knight. May still be the weakest but you wont have people saying things like its complete garbage or its the phantom menace of the batman films or other retarded statements.

I dunno! I think he was serious. although I dont think it will ever be a classic and hopefully when someone does a decent batman movie again people will realise how boring and up its own arse the Nolan trilogy is.

Along with virtually every other film Nolan has made. Nice to find someone who agrees with me - I was beginning to think that I was the only Forum member who felt that way.

Off-topic:
But how are his films up his own arse?

I have yet to see TDKR but I've seen pretty much all his other works and I'm yet to feel disappointed.
I find all his films intriguing/interesting and he is one of very few directors who creates good/great solid movies.

The only critiscm I find is not directed from Nolan himself more the case from other people/Journos who proclaim his films to be ubber intelligent when the fact is they are as intelligent as they need to be.
He's a very good accomplished Director who will only get better.

On topic:
What Underrated Films Will Be Future Classics?
Where The Wild Things Are.

i was going to respond regarding Nolan, then I read your comment on Where the Wild things are. So I can only assume you like boring, unnecessarily convoluted story lines, bad screenplays and bland direction. I will Call it quits.

No sorry, but that is just WRONG! WTWTA is a beautiful, magical gem, which is underated if anything.

I would like to add:

The Master, Inland Empire and Zodiac.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 72
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 28/3/2013 11:04:38 PM   
Dr Wobble

Jamm Her Ass 2

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 73
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 30/3/2013 6:43:41 PM   
ElephantBoy

And based on it getting no nominations in the 83rd Empire Oscars Please Give.

(in reply to Dr Wobble)
Post #: 74
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 30/3/2013 8:19:04 PM   
Qwerty Norris

I think the trio of Alex Garland-penned efforts Sunshine, Never Let Me Go & Dredd will be a lot more appreciated in the future than they were at the time of release.

As Mr. Kermode pointed out in his blog recently, Sunshine in particular is criminally underrated - despite its wobbly ending.

Children of Men in my opinion is a bonafide classic & I'm glad people are realising this more & more as the years go by. I couldn't believe the Empire review focused on its fart gags rather than Cuaron's extraordinary direction.

The Mist is one of the finest American horrors of recent times. It deserved FAR more critical & commercial attention than it received.

(REC) & Take Shelter are good shouts and I'd like to throw A.I. in there as well. I was blown away by it at the time of release & never understood why so many people were so hostile to it. It's been years since I've seen it admittedly, but I'm not sure Spielberg has done a better (and certainly ambitious) film since then.

A bit of a shame too that parts of this thread descended into another "Nolan is rubbish, I am right & to hell with you all for disagreeing with me" discussion. Clearly a cuddle or a life is required for this lonesome individual.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 75
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 30/3/2013 10:23:45 PM   
will1000

I'd like to think Brick will one day get the recognition it deserves. When it comes to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's resume' I hardly ever see it get mentioned.

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 76
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 9:29:42 AM   
Drone

Take Shelter seems the type of film that will enjoy a reprisal on late night telly one evening, and be looked back upon in a "how did we all miss that one" kind of way. Not for everyone, but it's just the kind of film I love.

Dead Man's Shoes... might already be considered a Brit classic, I don't know, but it certainly deserves far greater acclaim than it seems to have already. I only ever see it mentioned in passing now and then

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 77
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 4:04:01 PM   
max314

With a bit of luck, the Wachowskis' post-Matrix directorial output will be re-evaluated and appreciated for being the daring exercises in experimental genre filmmaking that they were.

However, since the Wachowskis are now broke and need money after mortgaging their houses to finance Cloud Atlas, one assumes Jupiter Ascending will be a rip-roaring return to the outright commercial cinema they engaged in when making Bound, The Matrix and their scripts for Assassins (their original screenplay before Brian Helgeland was brought on board to rape it), Carnivore and Plastic Man. It should confirm to skeptics that the Wachowskis know how to make exceptional genre cinema with ease and that their recent efforts have been a result of them wanting to challenge themselves, their audience, and the very medium in which they work.

I also think Guy Ritchie's Revolver deserves a second look. For similar reasons as those outlined above, it's a very brave film, and in my opinion Ritchie's best.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 78
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 6:49:02 PM   
Deviation

Isn't Revolver something that may be called a cult classic? I know quite a few fans of it even though it's a bit shit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 79
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 8:47:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

Dead Man's Shoes... might already be considered a Brit classic, I don't know, but it certainly deserves far greater acclaim than it seems to have already. I only ever see it mentioned in passing now and then

A very good shout.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 80
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 9:50:23 PM   
Mister Coe

Another vote for Never Let Me Go... a heartbreaking film, I think...

Say what now?

Post #: 81
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 10:12:17 PM   
Whistler

Melancholia. At least I hope it becomes a classic. It was totally overshadowed by Von Trier's Hitler comments (which I assume was the only reason it didn't even earn a nomination at the Oscars), but it's such a profound piece of work that I don't think enough people have seen. I recently watched it for the third time, and wow. Really, wow. One of the most powerful, beautiful, thought-provoking and genuinely terrifying films I've ever seen. Easily the best of 2011.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 82
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 10:15:41 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

As Mr. Kermode pointed out in his blog recently, Sunshine in particular is criminally underrated - despite its wobbly ending.

Children of Men in my opinion is a bonafide classic & I'm glad people are realising this more & more as the years go by. I couldn't believe the Empire review focused on its fart gags rather than Cuaron's extraordinary direction.

The Mist is one of the finest American horrors of recent times. It deserved FAR more critical & commercial attention than it received.

(REC) & Take Shelter are good shouts and I'd like to throw A.I. in there as well. I was blown away by it at the time of release & never understood why so many people were so hostile to it. It's been years since I've seen it admittedly, but I'm not sure Spielberg has done a better (and certainly ambitious) film since then.

A bit of a shame too that parts of this thread descended into another "Nolan is rubbish, I am right & to hell with you all for disagreeing with me" discussion. Clearly a cuddle or a life is required for this lonesome individual.

Completely agree with all of this.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

Post #: 83
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 1/4/2013 10:29:53 PM   
Dave Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I was emotionally shattered for a few days after watching it. I've seen a fair number and variety of movies over the years, but none have had such an affect on me as Never Let Me Go. Funnily enough the book is even better --- I wish I'd read it before watching the movie, but in a way I'm glad I didn't because the movie had a greater impact because I went in without knowing a thing.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 84
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 2/4/2013 9:36:06 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I will add to that it is a flawless film.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 85
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 5/4/2013 7:09:38 AM   
lazywriter

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Not even getting a dvd release over here.

There you go! Abso 'bloody' lutely!

In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 86
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 5/4/2013 7:11:29 AM   
lazywriter

A more recent one in my opinion is 'Killing Them Softly' written and directed by Andrew Dominik starring Brad Pitt and a few others. I don't know if it enjoyed a lot of hype but has been shot VERY beautifully and stylishly.

In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 87
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 5/4/2013 11:36:48 PM   
Dave Oz

500 Days of Summer?

(in reply to lazywriter)
Post #: 88
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 6/4/2013 9:00:29 PM   
fairyprincess

Speed racer
Telstar
Rent
Vanilla sky

< Message edited by fairyprincess -- 6/4/2013 9:01:54 PM >

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 89
RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics - 6/4/2013 10:05:55 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

500 Days of Summer?

It's pretty highly rated at the moment, at least amongst most of the people I know. If anything I think time won't be kind to this film, it's "alternative" for alternative's sake, Zooey Deschanel has to be the most annoying love interest in a film ever, and JGL's character is just sort of lame

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What Underated Films Will Be Future Classics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI