Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rust And Bone - 22/10/2012 1:16:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Rust and Bone - 2/11/2012 7:53:21 PM   
R W

Adapted from the short-story collection by Canadian author Craig Davidson, French director Jacques Audiard’s follow-up to his crime epic masterpiece A Prophet is not one of darkness and corruption as you would expect from Monsieur Audiard, as he goes for something softer and more romantic. Broke and homeless, Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts) takes his five year-old son Sam to the south of France to move in with his sister. During his various positions, Ali gets acquainted with a killer whale trainer, Stéphanie (Marion Cotillard) and together, their lives change.

If Rust and Bone has any familiarity with Audiard’s back catalogue, it would perhaps be with his 2001 love story Read My Lips which delved into fear and revenge, and again about crime. However, this is simply about humanity through the eyes of two very distinctive people, which are a conflicted brute struggling to be a good family man and a successful killer whale trainer whose life takes a wrong turn. Despite coming from two different worlds, their initial encounter is the start of something beautiful.

Marion Cotillard is extraordinary is the female lead, as she is introduced in a very trashy matter and later realising what an accomplishment she is. When she becomes the victim of a major accident, the sequence where she wakes up in a hospital bed, her screaming in fear is truly earth-shattering. As for her co-star, Matthias Schoenaerts is great as someone who is trying to do good for his son Sam, but he is constantly making the wrong decisions, from aggressively controlling Sam to having sex with numerous women despite his close bond with Stéphanie.

With a level of melodrama to the story, if Rust and Bone was to be Americanised, it would have been mushy and fit more into the realms of Lifetime: television for idiots. Given there are some flaws within the film like the ending and the inclusion of Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’, Audiard presents a beautiful depiction of a rather unusual relationship, showing the grit and beauty of numerous sequences (special praise to cinematographer Stéphane Fontaine, from the bare-knuckle fights to the simple image of Stéphanie raising her hand as she is being reacquainted with one of the whales.

Not up there with The Beat That My Heart Skipped and A Prophet, Jacques Audiard’s latest is a touching, unconventional love story that manages to be avoid succumbing to the melodramatic elements, while Marion Cotillard is a revelation.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Une inspiration. - 7/11/2012 6:40:30 PM   
fuzzy1659

I rarely do but on this occassion i totally disagree with you's on the 4 stars, it should be 5 stars, no doubt about it. I saw this movie today&now have that rare feeling for which i love films for so much. That rare occasion where you leave the cinema after seeing the movie but the movie stays with you. Its been with me all day leaving me in quite a strange contemplative mood. This is why i love film&buy empire every month! Once a year or if your lucky maybe twice&if your unlucky maybe not at all, you'll see a movie that just stays with you for days. This is one of them. I'd love to know what the 5ft star was taken off for! Surely only the french should now should be allowed to make melodramas, with maybe an exception made for Ang-Lee, Oh wait maybe an exception for asian cinema. Actually wait 'a separation', ok i retract that last state-meant completely!!!

Post #: 3
Une inspiration. - 7/11/2012 6:40:43 PM   
fuzzy1659

I rarely do but on this occassion i totally disagree with you's on the 4 stars, it should be 5 stars, no doubt about it. I saw this movie today&now have that rare feeling for which i love films for so much. That rare occasion where you leave the cinema after seeing the movie but the movie stays with you. Its been with me all day leaving me in quite a strange contemplative mood. This is why i love film&buy empire every month! Once a year or if your lucky maybe twice&if your unlucky maybe not at all, you'll see a movie that just stays with you for days. This is one of them. I'd love to know what the 5ft star was taken off for! Surely only the french should now should be allowed to make melodramas, with maybe an exception made for Ang-Lee, Oh wait maybe an exception for asian cinema. Actually wait 'a separation', ok i retract that last state-meant completely!!!

Post #: 4
Une inspiration. - 7/11/2012 6:42:18 PM   
fuzzy1659

Post #: 5
RE: Rust And Bone - 9/11/2012 8:59:48 AM   
GCH

An amazing film and an intriguing story. Thank God this was not the Hollywood version! The special effects are sensational- did Marion have her legs amputated for the part? How do they make it look so realistic? I also think this was a five star film, as I found it totally absorbing and moving. At one point in the film, there was a loud gasp from the audience- I can't recall that sort of thing from other films- which showed that everyone else was also deeply immersed in the story.
Wow!

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

Post #: 6
RE: Rust and Bone - 9/11/2012 11:08:01 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: R W

Adapted from the short-story collection by Canadian author Craig Davidson, French director Jacques Audiard’s follow-up to his crime epic masterpiece A Prophet is not one of darkness and corruption as you would expect from Monsieur Audiard, as he goes for something softer and more romantic. Broke and homeless, Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts) takes his five year-old son Sam to the south of France to move in with his sister. During his various positions, Ali gets acquainted with a killer whale trainer, Stéphanie (Marion Cotillard) and together, their lives change.

If Rust and Bone has any familiarity with Audiard’s back catalogue, it would perhaps be with his 2001 love story Read My Lips which delved into fear and revenge, and again about crime. However, this is simply about humanity through the eyes of two very distinctive people, which are a conflicted brute struggling to be a good family man and a successful killer whale trainer whose life takes a wrong turn. Despite coming from two different worlds, their initial encounter is the start of something beautiful.

Marion Cotillard is extraordinary is the female lead, as she is introduced in a very trashy matter and later realising what an accomplishment she is. When she becomes the victim of a major accident, the sequence where she wakes up in a hospital bed, her screaming in fear is truly earth-shattering. As for her co-star, Matthias Schoenaerts is great as someone who is trying to do good for his son Sam, but he is constantly making the wrong decisions, from aggressively controlling Sam to having sex with numerous women despite his close bond with Stéphanie.

With a level of melodrama to the story, if Rust and Bone was to be Americanised, it would have been mushy and fit more into the realms of Lifetime: television for idiots. Given there are some flaws within the film like the ending and the inclusion of Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’, Audiard presents a beautiful depiction of a rather unusual relationship, showing the grit and beauty of numerous sequences (special praise to cinematographer Stéphane Fontaine, from the bare-knuckle fights to the simple image of Stéphanie raising her hand as she is being reacquainted with one of the whales.

Not up there with The Beat That My Heart Skipped and A Prophet, Jacques Audiard’s latest is a touching, unconventional love story that manages to be avoid succumbing to the melodramatic elements, while Marion Cotillard is a revelation.

Agree with most of your review, but I do think it is up there with his other films mentioned and the inclusion of Fireworks was a great moment for me, as was Love Shrank!

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 7
RE: Rust and Bone - 11/11/2012 8:19:02 PM   
film man aidy

Saw this a few days ago, and it has haunted me ever since. Certainly quite distressing in parts, but ultimately uplifting on the whole. The scenes SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! involving Marion Cotillard's character first awaking, minus her legs, and Matthias Schoenaerts's son falling through the ice, were both incredibly powerful cinema. And as someone has already mentioned, kudos the special effects house that worked on this. Absolutely flawless stuff, and used CGI to it's full potential. It is a tool that when used far more sparingly, has a greater impact than creating floppy earred gungans...
Anyway, highly recommended.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 8
RE: Rust And Bone - 13/11/2012 4:25:11 PM   
BelovedAunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: GCH

An amazing film and an intriguing story. Thank God this was not the Hollywood version! The special effects are sensational- did Marion have her legs amputated for the part? How do they make it look so realistic? I also think this was a five star film, as I found it totally absorbing and moving. At one point in the film, there was a loud gasp from the audience- I can't recall that sort of thing from other films- which showed that everyone else was also deeply immersed in the story.
Wow!

I think I klnow which part - the exact same thing happened at the screening I was at. A real 'grower' of a film I think. I like it more now thinking back than I did sitting through it.

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 9
RE: Rust And Bone - 15/11/2012 5:21:52 PM   
licencetokilt

I liked it, but didn't love it. I thought the ending felt too convenient and easily wrapped up, and Cotillard seemed to be somewhat peripheral by the end, which was odd given the film for the most part was an effective double-act. Still, the performances were really brilliant, especially given how unlikeable both characters had a tendency to be. As for the use of Katy Perry... surprisingly moving, though I've realised I quite like the song....definitely the most emotionally powerful of this director's films, but overall I probably liked it the least.

< Message edited by licencetokilt -- 15/11/2012 5:23:49 PM >

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 10
RE: Rust And Bone - 19/11/2012 1:36:12 AM   
Coyleone

Just watched this tonight, and I have to say it's one of the most powerful films I've seen recently, not just from this year, but in general. It's a brilliant study of two characters from two completely different backgrounds who are drawn together by a tragic accident. Marion Cotillard is absolutely amazing in this. Easily the best performance of the year, male or female. Only complaint would be that she was featured less in the final 20 minutes or so, but we got some of the most powerful moments of the film too, so it kind of evened it out for me. Some genuinely shocking and some really moving, powerful scenes that stay with you long after the film has finished. Probably the film of the year for me.

(in reply to licencetokilt)
Post #: 11
Beautifully photographed and full of tension. - 11/12/2012 7:30:28 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Wow, I should have enjoyed this film more than I did. Really. It's not that I disliked it as such, but there are plenty of things to dislike about it. We spend an inordinate amount of time with Matthias Schoenaerts' Ali, a character so relentlessly unlikeable that I actually didn't want him to be redeemed, and when it did happen, I found it to be unbelievable anyway. Marion Cottilard's Stéphanie on the other hand develops more evenly, yet seems to get less screen-time (or certainly has less interaction with others, anyway).

The annoying thing is, I buy Matthias and Stéphanie as characters, but not their relationship. And that is the central hinge of the film.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 12
- 3/1/2013 10:33:05 PM   
danfacey711

Heartbreaking but beautiful.
Brilliantly shot and acted - this was definitely one of my 'films of 2012'. Must see

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rust And Bone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI