Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy An... - 22/10/2012 10:05:36 AM   
Timon

This year, both Paramount and Universal Studios celebrate their centenary and, as such, whenever you buy a new Universal DVD, you're treated to a 2 min '100 Years of Universal' trailer - which is nice.

This got me thinking, over the past 100 or so years of studio film-making, which major studio has established the best legacy, the best reputation and the best record for producing classic movies of our time?

Is it Universal for their classic horror films, their working relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, their lucrative collaborations with Steven Spielberg and their theme parks?

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks? Warner Brothers for giving creative freedom to many directors such as Nolan, Eastwood and the Potter team and overseeing some massive franchises? Is it MGM for its groundbreaking musicals and James Bond films? 20th Century Fox for not being afraid to back horses like Titanic, Star Wars and Avatar? Or does the House of Mouse get your vote every time?

Paramount's 100 Year Photo. Click image to embiggen.

< Message edited by Timon -- 22/10/2012 10:53:41 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 10:08:09 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks?

Missing a certain Greatest American Movie Ever Made (tm) there, Ti/.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 10:16:37 AM   
Timon

Deep Rising was New Line.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 10:17:56 AM   
elab49

So you mean RKO should be included?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 10:42:18 AM   
elab49

It was the greatest American film thing - Kane was RKO. As was King Kong. And some of the greatest film noir. A fair chunk of my favourite films have that broadcast logo up front. And the multi-part RKO story is one of the most fascinating of studio documentaries.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 5
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 10:57:27 AM   
Whistler

quote:

Completely irrelevant to point of the thread, but Bieber really annoys me in this photo. Not because I dislike his music or because it's "cool" to hate on him, but just look at him: everyone else is standing/sitting normally, just looking at the camera, but there he is swinging off the platform with his hands in the air like a massive douche.

Also, Tony Scott

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 11:08:08 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also, Tony Scott

Indeed.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 11:19:30 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Completely irrelevant to point of the thread, but Bieber really annoys me in this photo. Not because I dislike his music or because it's "cool" to hate on him, but just look at him: everyone else is standing/sitting normally, just looking at the camera, but there he is swinging off the platform with his hands in the air like a massive douche.

Also, Tony Scott

Yep.
Also Tommy Chong looks like he's just been brought off the street.
There's a fair few who,quite frankly,shouldn't be in there.And Shia get a bloomin shave ,man.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 11:30:54 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Also, Tony Scott

Yep.
Also Tommy Chong looks like he's just been brought off the street.
There's a fair few who,quite frankly,shouldn't be in there.And Shia get a bloomin shave ,man.

Eddie Murphy's a giant!!!

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy - 22/10/2012 11:47:24 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I keep thinking what on earth is Eamonn Holmes doing in this picture,but its actually Gore Verbinski.
George Takei looks abit tipsy while Amy Heckerling looks like a recovering herion addict.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 10
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:14:23 PM   
giggity

quote:

This year, both Paramount and Universal Studios celebrate their centenary and, as such, whenever you buy a new Universal DVD, you're treated to a 2 min '100 Years of Universal' trailer - which is nice.

This got me thinking, over the past 100 or so years of studio film-making, which major studio has established the best legacy, the best reputation and the best record for producing classic movies of our time?

Is it Universal for their classic horror films, their working relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, their lucrative collaborations with Steven Spielberg and their theme parks?

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks? Warner Brothers for giving creative freedom to many directors such as Nolan, Eastwood and the Potter team and overseeing some massive franchises? Is it MGM for its groundbreaking musicals and James Bond films? 20th Century Fox for not being afraid to back horses like Titanic, Star Wars and Avatar? Or does the House of Mouse get your vote every time?

Do you think all of them took the picture at the same time? Cos Is it me or does that pic look photoshopped?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:16:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

100% edited/Photoshopped.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 12
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:18:26 PM   
Timon

On the latest Empire podcast, Kate Featherstone said it all happened and how she was bantering with Rudd and Black during the shoot... however I reckon some photoshopping went on for those who had their eyes closed/were gurning/needed touching up.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 13
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:22:22 PM   
Whistler

Yeah, it's obviously been brushed up, but (to me) it definitely looks like everyone's there at the same time.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:25:26 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

to me it looks really edited,odd if real.
Maybe its the definition.

I was to busy looking at the shadows,some don't look like they are in conjunction with the rest of the photo..

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/10/2012 12:28:57 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 12:27:26 PM   
musht

quote:

On the latest Empire podcast, Kate Featherstone said it all happened and how she was bantering with Rudd and Black during the shoot... however I reckon some photoshopping went on for those who had their eyes closed/were gurning/needed touching up.

No doubt some of them were done in groups, Kate, Rudd, and Black are all pretty close together. But I seriously doubt this group photo was done in one shot. Some of the proportions are all wrong. Look at Guggenheim's arm and LaBoef's leg, Lloyd's knee is clearly jabbing Guggenheim in the back, Jane Fonda's leg's are unbelievably short below the knee.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 3:48:24 PM   
matty_b

There is no way Cameron Diaz's arm is actually behind Nick Nolte's head there.

Freeman and Streisand look odd, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 3:59:28 PM   
vad3r

Studios are just there to fund the film and worry about the numbers. It's the director and writer who have the biggest impact on how well the film turns out.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 18
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 4:16:26 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

She's rather lovely too.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 5:02:56 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Hitchcock's most famous films (Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest) were done at Paramount. Universal only acquire the rights to these films (except NBYNW) later.

I would say Warner have the biggest legacy. They brought in the talkies with The Jazz Singer, popularized the musical with Gold Diggers of Broadway and the gangster film with Little Caesar and The Public Enemy. They had a great line-up of contract players during the golden age. They also own a significant chunk of their great rival's (MGM) catalogue including their most beloved films - Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, as well as RKO - Citizen Kane. And let's not forget their animation studio.

They are also responsible for the modern comic book movie with Superman and Batman.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 5:07:53 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Hitchcock's most famous films (Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest) were done at Paramount. Universal only acquire the rights to these films (except NBYNW) later.

I would say Warner have the biggest legacy. They brought in the talkies with The Jazz Singer, popularized the musical with Gold Diggers of Broadway and the gangster film with Little Caesar and The Public Enemy. They had a great line-up of contract players during the golden age. They also own a significant chunk of their great rival's (MGM) catalogue including their most beloved films - Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, as well as RKO - Citizen Kane. And let's not forget their animation studio.

They are also responsible for the modern comic book movie with Superman and Batman.

Ah right, I was wondering when and how Universal got most of Hitch's backcatalogue.

I suppose WB now owns New Line's back catalogue as well after the 2008 merger, that could give them the edge. Plus they haven't dropped the ball as often as Fox and Paramount have...

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 21
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 5:22:33 PM   
adambatman82

I'd go with Warner too.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 22/10/2012 11:25:52 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I thought WB as soon as I read the thread title but DC has already made a convincing argument.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 23
RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legac... - 1/11/2012 8:44:48 AM   
Timon

I recently bought this book on Merian C. Cooper's unmade epic War Eagles and I read that back in the 1930s, Warner Brothers was the only Hollywood studio that embarked on a virtual crusade to alert Americans to the growing menace of Nazism. Apparently while all other studios didn't want to anger the European/German market, Polish-Jewish immigrants Harry and Jack Warner felt it was their duty to inform the American public of the insidious threat Hitler's regime posed throughout the world.

In 1933, after its Berlin manager was pummeled in a back alley by Nazi brownshirts, Warner Bros. became the first studio to sever economic ties with the lucrative German market. The brothers also pledged their allegiance by supporting the Hollywood Anti-Nazi League and hosted fundraisers for the cause. Groucho Marx once declared them “the only studio with any guts” when it came to Nazism.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI