Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 3D and kids under 3???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 3D and kids under 3??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:48:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I took my son to watch Pirates In an Adventure with... around Mayish so he would have been just under 3 and a half. He sat through it no probs, the only issue was that he kept playing with his glasses (only 3D screenings available at the time ) and one of the arms broke so I had to rush out and get another pair halfway through the film. Otherwise he was as happy as larry.

I think I took my daughter to see Fantastic Mr Fox when she was about 3 and a half as well and she happily sat through that with no issues. It depends on the child really, I took my niece to watch Monsters Inc and despite the screening being teeming with disruptive and noisy kids I still felt the need to leave halfway through because she was audibly complaining that she was bored, she was nearly 6 at the time.

Exactly :)

Bar the fidgeting and breaking of the glasses, how were your son's eyes during and afterwards?

Obviously fine, but how was he?

He was alright. I won't be taking him to another 3D viewing soon though*. I'd got my wires crossed and thought there was a 2D showing on the Saturday afternoon but unfortunately the 2D showing was at stupid o clock so we ended up going to the 3D version (we'd travelled 30 miles, we weren't going home empty handed so to speak). I wouldn't have deliberately taken him to a 3D viewing for his first cinema visit at that age, mainly because I knew he'd be faffing around with the glasses.

* Mainly because I avoid non native 3D films like the proverbial plague.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/10/2012 2:49:34 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 31
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:54:16 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
I'm NOT complaining about kids being at a Pixar film, I'm complaining about irresponsible people taking a child to the cinema when they know (or, they MUST know, surely) that that child is not yet suitable for a cinema experience.

To be fair, you actually did. I was the first to mention it was the parents/guardians fault. But, okay, you meant them too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirThe point is I know my daughter will NOT sit through anything for that long. Her attention/concentration span is currently about 20-30 minutes before she gets bored (I'm told this is very common in kids of 2 and 3 and nothing to worry about, however I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned that there might be another underlying issue...we shall see), and if she doesn't move onto something that she wants to do at that point (usually either going to the park or drawing/painting), she will let the whole world know her displeasure.

Didn't mean to imply you didn't - I was just saying that your child being older wouldn't change the fact that there was other kids running about. I've also just realized that you meant others it was your opinion that others should also consider this - I misunderstood. As to the concentration, wouldn't 20 - 30 minutes even be a lot for an adult to stay on one task?

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirSo I don't want to subject other people to that, cos I know how much it annoys the shit out of me when other peoples' kids are being disruptive and the parents aren't doing anything about it. And you can go to as late or as early a showing of a kids film as you want, there will ALWAYS be kids in there. Mother and baby showings - fine, you expect noise, crying, constant fidgeting and trips to the toilet. That's one of the reasons they are much cheaper than standard showings.

Really, what times in the evening do you mean? Don't think I've ever seen a young child in a cinema after 6 (not counting leaving the cinema)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirIn my (long) experience of going to the cinema, quiet kids of toddler age are the exception, possibly even a rare exception, rather than the rule, and nine times out of ten there is nothing the parents can do about it except leave the screen with child in tow. Sadly that hardly ever happens. I also completely disagree with your comment that most kids, at least those under the age of 4 or 5, just want to overdose on popcorn and watch the film - as I said, exception, not rule (in my experience).

Believe me, my sisters' kids are plenty loud most of the time, everywhere else. We can agree to disagree, I suppose, maybe I've been lucky. And My experience is long too :)

I personally don't see the point of taking a child that young to a regular screening when you know that they will kick off at some point, or never settle in the first place, nor do I see the point of subjecting yourself (without a child) to any sensibly timed showing of any film that might attract kids.

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirAlso, there is a HUGE difference between kids vocally enjoying the film, and running up and down the stairs, playing hide and seek with their mates, asking their parent(s) what's going on every two minutes cos they've been too busy fucking around with something else, kicking my seat, having conversations completely unrelatedchoose an indoor playground to a to the film or, if they're VERY young, endlessly screaming because they are tired and/or hungry, etc etc etc.

Agreed, but this was my point. You can't blame the children. A parent should know whether a child wants to see a movie or would prefer to be outside playing. A lot of kids would choose an indoor playground to a movie, I think. Even kids who would be well behaved at the cinema.

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirA 3D film adds all sorts of other worms in cans.

My concern here was health and affect on the eyes. Regarding any fidgeting, I've been comfortable myself with even specs and 3D glasses. But, I thought Madagascar might have some decent 3D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirYou're very lucky that the kids in question from your point of view do not cause any of these problems. Otherwise, 90% of other kids do.

As I said, they are rowdy most of the times themselves. Two were just here (hence why I'm answering you later than the others) and my head is pounding from nephews non-stop shenanigans. He is a pup :P

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badirAnd, as grucl said, young adults can be far more annoying than kids, but in a completely different way and, in those cases, you can at least complain and hope that they will be ejected by cinema staff. You can't do that with children accompanied by parents/guardians and, unfortunately, most parents/guardians do sod all about their child kicking off. There is a time and a place to have that kind of attitude. The cinema is not it.

I don't think I've ever had to call on cinema staff for teenagers (not sure what a young adult is, to be honest) - I would if I had too, but I've found a reason toned "that's enough" or a heavier "shut up" usually stops it. I remember yonks back at Stargate there was a gaggle of teenagers - boys and girls - being way too loud. One spotty dick in particular. A few of us gave "sushes" and "shut ups", he started flicking popcorn at people. Goddamn, Stargate was is awesome and he wasn't going to ruin it. Had a burst of adrenaline or something, and I got up and ran across the few rows between us - actually on the back of the seats :o . Poor kid nearly shit himself. And I'm not a big man, short, skinny fella now, worse bag then :). Wasn't a peep out of them again. :P

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 32
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:55:10 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD
Course i am!

No, I'm still not sure :(

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 33
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:58:36 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey
Yep, my experience exactly. Took my little one to Lion King and Puss In Boots in 3D (again, only showings available) and she kept taking the glasses off throughout - 90 mins or so is too much. We took her after she'd been to a couple of 4D cinemas at theme parks and was transfixed, but they were only about 15-20 mins. I've since resolved to not to take to any more, because it's already too pricey, without factoring in the fact that she's barely watching the 3D. Lesson learned on that one.

However, I've been taking my daughter to the cinema since just before her 3rd birthday. Always to kid's movies and always at a quiet time of day, and knowing the risk that she may not want to sit still for the duration, always sat right away from everyone else. And do you know how much trouble she's been? NONE WHATSOEVER! She whispered if she wanted to talk, the only time she moved was if she wanted a wee or moved onto my lap and she was as good as gold. In fact, the worst screenings I've had with her, it's been the kids 4-7 (approx) that have been the worst offenders. But then again, I'd put the onus on the parents to control them as with under 3s.

So in response to the OP, I wouldn't recommend 3D for little ones (it's not worth it). I don't know the health implications, but for comfort at the very least, it's not viable.

Thanks, for the feedback on the 3D.

Your cinema trips mirror mine, cheers. ;)

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 34
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 3:05:22 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
He was alright. I won't be taking him to another 3D viewing soon though*. I'd got my wires crossed and thought there was a 2D showing on the Saturday afternoon but unfortunately the 2D showing was at stupid o clock so we ended up going to the 3D version (we'd travelled 30 miles, we weren't going home empty handed so to speak). I wouldn't have deliberately taken him to a 3D viewing for his first cinema visit at that age, mainly because I knew he'd be faffing around with the glasses.

* Mainly because I avoid non native 3D films like the proverbial plague.

I prefer non-3D myself, just because most of the time there isn't any real use made of 3D.. The only one to really impress was Dredd, though I liked the "helmet" moments in Prometheus and Avengers Assemble.

The only 3D movie I took my niece to was Beauty and the Beast and she got a real kick out of that, and has asked to see another.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 35
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 3:09:30 PM   
potemkin1925

This is the first internet forum I've ever used.

Jesus, it can take up a lot of time :(

Half the afternoon gone looking through the discussions :P

Post #: 36
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 5:32:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

Course i am!

No i am, i really am!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 37
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 7:51:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

Course i am!

No i am, i really am!

Knowing DK for as long as I have, I can attest that if the dude says he's being serious, he is indeed being serious.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 24/10/2012 7:52:30 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 38
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 9:10:13 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

Course i am!

No i am, i really am!

Knowing DK for as long as I have, I can attest that if the dude says he's being serious, he is indeed being serious.

Aye, i don't have much fondness for children!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 39
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 9:44:14 PM   
MonsterCat

I love kids.

Not in a Jimmy Saville way obviously.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 40
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 10:12:39 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

So your whole 51%, 49% description of your yourself is not self-depreciating humour. It is simple fact.

So why did you bother posting in this thread?

< Message edited by potemkin1925 -- 24/10/2012 10:14:35 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 10:52:33 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

So your whole 51%, 49% description of your yourself is not self-depreciating humour. It is simple fact.

So why did you bother posting in this thread?

It is 100% fact!

There is a time and a place for young children, but a 3D screening is not it IMO.

Although adults can be just as annoying, but that's another issue.

Post #: 42
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 25/10/2012 12:30:27 AM   
rich

Anyone with the processing power of a 3 year old, regardless of physical age should be banned. Your kids are mature enough? Well done.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 43
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 25/10/2012 5:09:16 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

It is 100% fact!

There is a time and a place for young children, but a 3D screening is not it IMO.

So why do you hate children?

Post #: 44
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 25/10/2012 5:10:29 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Anyone with the processing power of a 3 year old, regardless of physical age should be banned. Your kids are mature enough? Well done.

Mature? How can a 3 year old be mature?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 45
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 25/10/2012 8:12:51 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

It is 100% fact!

So why do you hate children?

I never said i did. I just have no time/ tolerance for them

Post #: 46
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 25/10/2012 9:22:05 AM   
DancingClown

I have to say it is kinda trendy now for people to say they don't like kids/families. Personally, I love kids. Well, my own, anyway. Everyone else's can bog off.

However, I do think it's a bit of a stretch for people to expect young kids to be ideal cinema-viewing companions. Sure, teach them they need to sit down and not scream, but to expect them to sit, dour-faced and silent during a Pixar movie like some seasoned Guardian film critic appraising Godard is quite unrealistic. And if you go to a family film like Brave, etc, you have to run the risk that there's going to be some disruption from kids.

In my experience my worst times at the cinema have been caused by teenagers, mostly teenage girls. And once by a young baby, and in the early evening of all times, which is ridiculous. Who brings their baby to an evening screening? And it was a PG.

My oldest is four and I'm hoping to take him to see his first film at the cinema soon. In fact I hope to re-discover my love of going through his experience (I haven't been since 2006) although I'll be more pre-occupied with assuring that he's enjoying himself as opposed to me.

Not all kids are disruptive, of course. I remember going to see Episode II and across the aisle from me was a boy about three/four. He was mesmerised, he bounced up and down with excitement during the action scenes, his hands gripping the bannister in front of him, and he sat in his mum's lap and cried during the death of Anakin's mum. He was really enjoying himself without being overly disruptive and it was great.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 47
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 28/10/2012 7:23:39 PM   
Mister Coe

It's not about the kids, it's about how the parents control them.

A lot of kids are perfectly able to handle seeing a film at the cinema. Bless 'em. But a lot of parents (usually the kind of pond-life that you see on the Jeremy Kyle show) think that once they've paid for tickets, their parental responsibilities got right out the door. I remember seeing a film a couple of years back (might have been a Harry potter film) and there were little bastards running up and down the aisles, screaming and whooping. And this wasn't even an afternoon showing, it was one at about 7.30 in the evening! I was so tempted to trip one of the little sods up on the stairs so he's get a bit of a bash and have to go home, but I'm a nice man and I'd never do something like that...

If I did something like that when I was a little 'un, my Mum would have smacked the back of my head and dragged me out of there.

This is why I never go to anything less than a 15-certificate during school holidays.

Say what now?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 48
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 29/10/2012 7:49:48 PM   
Spectre

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I have to say it is kinda trendy now for people to say they don't like kids/families. Personally, I love kids. Well, my own, anyway. Everyone else's can bog off.

However, I do think it's a bit of a stretch for people to expect young kids to be ideal cinema-viewing companions. Sure, teach them they need to sit down and not scream, but to expect them to sit, dour-faced and silent during a Pixar movie like some seasoned Guardian film critic appraising Godard is quite unrealistic. And if you go to a family film like Brave, etc, you have to run the risk that there's going to be some disruption from kids.

In my experience my worst times at the cinema have been caused by teenagers, mostly teenage girls. And once by a young baby, and in the early evening of all times, which is ridiculous. Who brings their baby to an evening screening? And it was a PG.

My oldest is four and I'm hoping to take him to see his first film at the cinema soon. In fact I hope to re-discover my love of going through his experience (I haven't been since 2006) although I'll be more pre-occupied with assuring that he's enjoying himself as opposed to me.

Not all kids are disruptive, of course. I remember going to see Episode II and across the aisle from me was a boy about three/four. He was mesmerised, he bounced up and down with excitement during the action scenes, his hands gripping the bannister in front of him, and he sat in his mum's lap and cried during the death of Anakin's mum. He was really enjoying himself without being overly disruptive and it was great.

quote:

New Messages
DancingClown
Forum Elder

Yeah, I think if you go to the cinema during the day to a low certificate film then it is kind of to be expected.

I agree that teenagers and young adults are far worse though. They know perfectly well that they are ruining other people's enjoyment but carry on messing around regardless.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 49
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 11:19:13 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

Isn't intolerance a form of hatred?

Post #: 50
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 11:20:10 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

It's not about the kids, it's about how the parents control them.

Exactly.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 51
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 12:53:49 PM   
rich

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Mature? How can a 3 year old be mature?

Being able to shut up and sit still for 120 minutes? I know it's a push, since some supposed adults aren't capable.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 52
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 1:13:29 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

Isn't intolerance a form of hatred?

I don't really care to be honest!

Post #: 53
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 1:20:14 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Don't take them to see 3D flicks at all. 3D is bad all round and they need to learn this at a young age.

brilliant. My son went to see his first movie when he was 3, and first 3D movie at age 4!. He had the good sense to turn to me and say he didn't like it!
I wouldn't take a young one to a 3D movie merely due to the fact that they will not keep the goggles on or they will keep touching them. Oh and D is 100% shite

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 54
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 1:22:05 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

My son went to see his first movie when he was 3, and first 3D movie at age 4!. He had the good sense to turn to me and say he didn't like it!

Clearly a very smart young gentleman.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 55
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 30/10/2012 1:38:34 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

My son went to see his first movie when he was 3, and first 3D movie at age 4!. He had the good sense to turn to me and say he didn't like it!

Clearly a very smart young gentleman.

I think so, but i would. He was fortunate enough to have Fantastic Mr Fox as that first cinema experience!. Watching him laugh the way he did has been one of my highlights as a father so far. Megamind was the 3D movie went to, he didn't like the 3D or the movie, he got home and asked me to put the Incredibles DVD on!
Can't wait to take my youngest son (2 and half at moment) to his first movie! Id like that to be Man of Steel, but he has watched the Donnor movies with me so I fear he might be disappointed, I will report back next summer. He calls all Superheros ` Superman`.......well `Supe`man

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 30/10/2012 1:40:28 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: 3D and kids under 3??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI