Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

3D and kids under 3???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> 3D and kids under 3??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 8:37:24 AM   
potemkin1925

Hi,

I've read varying opinions on the ol' Googles, but I thought I should get some more reliable thoughts.

Are 3D movies bad for the eyes of very young children, under the age of 3?

Cheers

Post #: 1
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 7:38:09 PM   
directorscut

Hi,

What the hell are you doing bringing a child under three to the cinema?

Cheers.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 2
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 7:47:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: potemkin1925

Are 3D movies bad for the eyes of very young children, under the age of 3?

3D relies on the viewer having good strong eyes. I have a lazy eye so it doesn't work for me as well as it should so I would say kids under 3 are probably too young as their eyes are still developing, I think it stops around 3 or 4 depending on the child.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 3
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 8:02:07 PM   
MonsterCat

Don't take them to see 3D flicks at all. 3D is bad all round and they need to learn this at a young age.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 8:13:38 PM   
elab49

It's not advised for gaming consoles, same will apply to films. Not to mention keeping goggles on an under 3 is a non-starter. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 5
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 11:46:57 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Don't take them to see 3D flicks at all. 3D is bad all round and they need to learn this at a young age.

That is pretty much how I feel about it too - but the boy must learn this for himself. ;)

A good teacher doesn't give the answer, and so on ....!!! :)

Though animation does make some use of it, I just thought sow the boy while it is there. Plus, the cinema is small and new and usually only get the 3D version at first until they swap with its larger branch.

< Message edited by potemkin1925 -- 22/10/2012 11:55:32 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 11:49:59 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench
3D relies on the viewer having good strong eyes. I have a lazy eye so it doesn't work for me as well as it should so I would say kids under 3 are probably too young as their eyes are still developing, I think it stops around 3 or 4 depending on the child.

Yes, I had read before about the development of eyes, but I couldn't track in down on the Googles again.

Cheers. ;)

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 7
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 11:52:48 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's not advised for gaming consoles, same will apply to films. Not to mention keeping goggles on an under 3 is a non-starter. 

Actually, I think the boy would. - as long as the movie itself was good. I'm the one that couldn't. :)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 22/10/2012 11:56:48 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Hi,

Cheers.

And, finally, I have to ask - what?!?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 9
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 23/10/2012 12:09:36 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

quote:

Hi,

Cheers.

It's a perfectly valid question. Unless it's one of those 'Mothers & Tots Screenings' that some cinemas do, kids that young have no business being in a cinema.

Post #: 10
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 23/10/2012 12:44:37 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

quote:

quote:

Hi,

Cheers.

It's a perfectly valid question. Unless it's one of those 'Mothers & Tots Screenings' that some cinemas do, kids that young have no business being in a cinema.

Agreed.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 11
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 23/10/2012 1:25:04 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi,

Cheers.

Agreed.

Thirded. Mother and baby screenings aside (and I've TOLD my wife that she's going to one of those without me if she wants to take our little lady to the flicks), I'm not even thinking of taking ours to the cinema until she's 4 at the very earliest.

Nearly every Pixar film has been ruined for me by out of control little shits running around and talking, with the worst being Cars - I've never seen so many disruptive children in one place. Fortunately Cars was shit, so it wasn't a huge problem.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 12
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 4:27:00 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

No it isn't. Not in any way.

However, BudBaxter, I would like to know why you think that.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 13
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 5:15:38 AM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
Thirded. Mother and baby screenings aside (and I've TOLD my wife that she's going to one of those without me if she wants to take our little lady to the flicks), I'm not even thinking of taking ours to the cinema until she's 4 at the very earliest.

Nearly every Pixar film has been ruined for me by out of control little shits running around and talking, with the worst being Cars - I've never seen so many disruptive children in one place. Fortunately Cars was shit, so it wasn't a huge problem.

quote:

The age of your child won't change other kids running about, great badir. The only way to avoid that is to go to screenings later in the day or the evening. I know that might not always be possible, but such is life.

It's silly to complain about kids being at a movie like a Pixar one.

The majority of kids just like to overdose on popcorn and watch the movie.

I've been at movies where some kids have been disruptive, but it is usually obvious that the kid just isn't interested in being in a cinema - and they've not always been under the age of 4. That you can blame on their parents who should know whether they're kids will enjoy the cinema.

Can't say as it bothers me - I'm only interested the kids with me and in the movie.

My nieces and nephews are plenty rowdy most of the time, but they've never acted up in a cinema like that.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 14
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 6:13:40 AM   
potemkin1925

I'll say this though, great_badir - while I disagree with your outlook on the age issues and who is to blame when kids disrupt other patrons, you at least have a valid grievance in that it is so obviously out of control that it bothers a guy who loves the cinema like myself.

However, I'd be willing to wager you wouldn't be upset by a couple of kids laughing at a movie.

I had that encounter during the summer.

I took my niece (5) and nephew (3) to The Lorax.

There was only a few people there, two other adults - a mother and son and a man with his two daughters.

My niece and nephew really enjoyed it and they laughed a lot. Not screaming out loud and rolling around in the aisles - just when it was funny they laughed.

Whenever they needed to talk to me it was in whisper, just like I had told them.

Halfway through the film, the other guy came up to me and told me to keep the kids quite. At first, I didn't know what to say. He wasn't aggressive or rude. Nor did he seem particularly upset.

I asked him was he serious and he just walked away.

So I ignored him and the kids had heard nothing so we just carried on as we were.

On our way out (I usually stay for the music in the credits), the woman who was at the same film came to me and said she over heard the guy complaining to the manager.

And it was true.

One of the ushers, who knows me from being there so often, told me that a man had complained to the manager about "kids laughing"!!!

Not running about screaming, fighting, crying or setting the seats on fire. Just laughing.

She said the manager was very confused and kept asking the guy were we shouting or throwing things - assuming there must be more to it, but they guy just said we were laughing.

The girl told me that her boss told the guy he couldn't stop people from enjoying themselves and the chap walks away from them saying it is ridiculous.

Post #: 15
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 8:20:38 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

children's laughter can be very annoying though

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 16
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 8:46:18 AM   
grucl

Young adults can be far more annoying than little kids at the cinema.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 17
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 9:46:03 AM   
elab49

Maybe so. But very young children are a different kind of problem and in that case it's the parents fault for misjudging and inflicting a problem on others.

Unselfish parents do carefully try to judge when it's OK to take a child to sit in a dark room with others for one and a half hours without disturbing them simply because they're too young. I'd say, from experience, that around 4 is probably the right age for that, maybe slightly younger - if they sit through stuff like the Singing Kettle type thing aimed at them you know they're getting to the stage where they understand about others etc. My nephew was around 4, my niece marginally younger but part of the reason for that was her aping what her big brother did and focussing on the screen.

Bad parents take babies to screenings because they don't think their enjoyment should be ruined just because they have a kid and screw everyone else - that Cineworld allowed one into a Harry Potter screening (back when the Cineworld in Renfrew St had not long opened) still baffles me.

And Pixar isn't just for kids That's quite a serious one, actually. Apart from general adult enjoyment (you can't argue that Toy Story aimed solely at them with a script full of jokes that would go above their heads) take Brave - many parents might reasonably without thinking take their little 'uns along to that at any age but there are some very dark bits in that that even older kids (6-7 eg) were taking their 3D glasses off and just not watching the screen and squirming around. I'd guess younger children might be worse.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 18
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 10:42:30 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I took my son to watch Pirates In an Adventure with... around Mayish so he would have been just under 3 and a half. He sat through it no probs, the only issue was that he kept playing with his glasses (only 3D screenings available at the time ) and one of the arms broke so I had to rush out and get another pair halfway through the film. Otherwise he was as happy as larry.

I think I took my daughter to see Fantastic Mr Fox when she was about 3 and a half as well and she happily sat through that with no issues. It depends on the child really, I took my niece to watch Monsters Inc and despite the screening being teeming with disruptive and noisy kids I still felt the need to leave halfway through because she was audibly complaining that she was bored, she was nearly 6 at the time.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 10:52:41 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I took my nephew to see Happy Feet when he was 3.  When I picked him up he had a pillow (in case he got tired - his words), a colouring book and pens (in case he got bored - his words again), some toy cars (again if he got bored) and his favourite ted.  We took it all with us!  He ended up sitting on my lap and falling asleep

I do, however find it very disruptive when kids are just running around with the parents not giving a shit.  I saw one film where a girl and a her friend (they may have been around 6ish?) were both standing, leaning on the backs of the chairs in front of them with their backs to the screens and chatting loudly whilst the parents were watching the film.  They did get sshhed a lot.  What's the point??  Can't get a babysitter?  Go another night if the kids aren't interested.

I have also taken my nephew to a 3D film, think he was older than 3 and he spent the time looking through the glasses, taking them off, looking through the glasses, taking them off (and repeat)..... 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 20
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 10:57:13 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I have also taken my nephew to a 3D film, think he was older than 3 and he spent the time looking through the glasses, taking them off, looking through the glasses, taking them off (and repeat)..... 

I do that every time!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 21
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 12:19:40 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I don't know if you are being serious?

Please, tell me your not...!!!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 22
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 12:24:17 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Young adults can be far more annoying than little kids at the cinema.

If you mean teenagers, that is true. Though not just at the cinema.

When did guys start hugging each other?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 23
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 12:28:30 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

The age of your child won't change other kids running about, great badir. The only way to avoid that is to go to screenings later in the day or the evening. I know that might not always be possible, but such is life.

It's silly to complain about kids being at a movie like a Pixar one.

The majority of kids just like to overdose on popcorn and watch the movie.

I've been at movies where some kids have been disruptive, but it is usually obvious that the kid just isn't interested in being in a cinema - and they've not always been under the age of 4. That you can blame on their parents who should know whether they're kids will enjoy the cinema.

Can't say as it bothers me - I'm only interested the kids with me and in the movie.

My nieces and nephews are plenty rowdy most of the time, but they've never acted up in a cinema like that.

I'm NOT complaining about kids being at a Pixar film, I'm complaining about irresponsible people taking a child to the cinema when they know (or, they MUST know, surely) that that child is not yet suitable for a cinema experience.

The point is I know my daughter will NOT sit through anything for that long. Her attention/concentration span is currently about 20-30 minutes before she gets bored (I'm told this is very common in kids of 2 and 3 and nothing to worry about, however I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned that there might be another underlying issue...we shall see), and if she doesn't move onto something that she wants to do at that point (usually either going to the park or drawing/painting), she will let the whole world know her displeasure. So I don't want to subject other people to that, cos I know how much it annoys the shit out of me when other peoples' kids are being disruptive and the parents aren't doing anything about it. And you can go to as late or as early a showing of a kids film as you want, there will ALWAYS be kids in there. Mother and baby showings - fine, you expect noise, crying, constant fidgeting and trips to the toilet. That's one of the reasons they are much cheaper than standard showings.

In my (long) experience of going to the cinema, quiet kids of toddler age are the exception, possibly even a rare exception, rather than the rule, and nine times out of ten there is nothing the parents can do about it except leave the screen with child in tow. Sadly that hardly ever happens. I also completely disagree with your comment that most kids, at least those under the age of 4 or 5, just want to overdose on popcorn and watch the film - as I said, exception, not rule (in my experience).

I personally don't see the point of taking a child that young to a regular screening when you know that they will kick off at some point, or never settle in the first place, nor do I see the point of subjecting yourself (without a child) to any sensibly timed showing of any film that might attract kids.

Also, there is a HUGE difference between kids vocally enjoying the film, and running up and down the stairs, playing hide and seek with their mates, asking their parent(s) what's going on every two minutes cos they've been too busy fucking around with something else, kicking my seat, having conversations completely unrelated to the film or, if they're VERY young, endlessly screaming because they are tired and/or hungry, etc etc etc.

A 3D film adds all sorts of other worms in cans.

You're very lucky that the kids in question from your point of view do not cause any of these problems. Otherwise, 90% of other kids do.

And, as grucl said, young adults can be far more annoying than kids, but in a completely different way and, in those cases, you can at least complain and hope that they will be ejected by cinema staff. You can't do that with children accompanied by parents/guardians and, unfortunately, most parents/guardians do sod all about their child kicking off. There is a time and a place to have that kind of attitude. The cinema is not it.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 24/10/2012 12:41:46 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 24
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 12:45:19 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Maybe so. But very young children are a different kind of problem and in that case it's the parents fault for misjudging and inflicting a problem on others.

Unselfish parents do carefully try to judge when it's OK to take a child to sit in a dark room with others for one and a half hours without disturbing them simply because they're too young. I'd say, from experience, that around 4 is probably the right age for that, maybe slightly younger - if they sit through stuff like the Singing Kettle type thing aimed at them you know they're getting to the stage where they understand about others etc. My nephew was around 4, my niece marginally younger but part of the reason for that was her aping what her big brother did and focussing on the screen.

Bad parents take babies to screenings because they don't think their enjoyment should be ruined just because they have a kid and screw everyone else - that Cineworld allowed one into a Harry Potter screening (back when the Cineworld in Renfrew St had not long opened) still baffles me.

And Pixar isn't just for kids That's quite a serious one, actually. Apart from general adult enjoyment (you can't argue that Toy Story aimed solely at them with a script full of jokes that would go above their heads) take Brave - many parents might reasonably without thinking take their little 'uns along to that at any age but there are some very dark bits in that that even older kids (6-7 eg) were taking their 3D glasses off and just not watching the screen and squirming around. I'd guess younger children might be worse.

Yews, and a lot of kids just simply are not interested in movies and prefer running about. So in a way parents are making them suffer too.

At a screening of Prometheus, when they lights came up I saw a group of adults leaving and there was a girl with them who couldn't have been much more than 10 - she hadn't been disruptive or uttered a sound that I had noticed - but, THAT is bad parenting.

As to Pixar, no Pixar isn't just for kids - I didn't mean that - just that it is unreasonable to complain that kids would be there.

As to Brave, I misjudged that too - my niece got just the right level of fear to really enjoy it, but my nephew was too young - covered his eyes and wanted to leave. He wasn't traumatized, or anything, and the the tense scenes were fairly short, so it was all good. And he disrupted no one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 1:06:15 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I took my son to watch Pirates In an Adventure with... around Mayish so he would have been just under 3 and a half. He sat through it no probs, the only issue was that he kept playing with his glasses (only 3D screenings available at the time ) and one of the arms broke so I had to rush out and get another pair halfway through the film. Otherwise he was as happy as larry.

I think I took my daughter to see Fantastic Mr Fox when she was about 3 and a half as well and she happily sat through that with no issues. It depends on the child really, I took my niece to watch Monsters Inc and despite the screening being teeming with disruptive and noisy kids I still felt the need to leave halfway through because she was audibly complaining that she was bored, she was nearly 6 at the time.

Exactly :)

Bar the fidgeting and breaking of the glasses, how were your son's eyes during and afterwards?

Obviously fine, but how was he?

Post #: 26
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 1:09:01 PM   
potemkin1925

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

What do think about the 3D?

Would you avoid it in future?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 27
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 1:39:39 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I don't know if you are being serious?

Please, tell me your not...!!!

Course i am!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 28
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:09:53 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

I took my son to watch Pirates In an Adventure with... around Mayish so he would have been just under 3 and a half. He sat through it no probs, the only issue was that he kept playing with his glasses (only 3D screenings available at the time ) a.

Yep, my experience exactly. Took my little one to Lion King and Puss In Boots in 3D (again, only showings available) and she kept taking the glasses off throughout - 90 mins or so is too much. We took her after she'd been to a couple of 4D cinemas at theme parks and was transfixed, but they were only about 15-20 mins. I've since resolved to not to take to any more, because it's already too pricey, without factoring in the fact that she's barely watching the 3D. Lesson learned on that one.

However, I've been taking my daughter to the cinema since just before her 3rd birthday. Always to kid's movies and always at a quiet time of day, and knowing the risk that she may not want to sit still for the duration, always sat right away from everyone else. And do you know how much trouble she's been? NONE WHATSOEVER! She whispered if she wanted to talk, the only time she moved was if she wanted a wee or moved onto my lap and she was as good as gold. In fact, the worst screenings I've had with her, it's been the kids 4-7 (approx) that have been the worst offenders. But then again, I'd put the onus on the parents to control them as with under 3s.

So in response to the OP, I wouldn't recommend 3D for little ones (it's not worth it). I don't know the health implications, but for comfort at the very least, it's not viable.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 29
RE: 3D and kids under 3??? - 24/10/2012 2:24:57 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Exactly :)

Bar the fidgeting and breaking of the glasses, how were your son's eyes during and afterwards?

Obviously fine, but how was he?

Bloodshot, cross-eyed, twitching

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> 3D and kids under 3??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI