Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 2:38:35 PM   
Tidus

whoever said marty could go back to the 50's and meet his grandparents thats an amazing idea.

I'm sold, I have seen the light, Go Ryan Reynolds take your focas and time travel,

Brian Blessed as Doc Brown!

Next they should remake Goodfellas and have Jonah Hill as Pauly

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 61
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 3:42:34 PM   
Tidus

Interesting article on remakes here , I'm not sure how long ago it's from though as I would have thought Rob Zombies Halloweens would have been on it.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 62
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 4:20:37 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I don't mind having every notable film ever remade. If the reviews are good, I'll watch it. If it's shit, I won't.

Now there's a man talking sense!
Loads of people are slagging off The evil dead remake (Typical comment "This WILL suck!") and that hasnt even wrapped filming yet!
Whatever the remake, be it Raiders,Robocop,Jaws,Citizen Kane or BTTF it absolutely does not in any way take away from the quality of the original.
I have seen many of my favourite films remade over the years and it doesnt make me love Halloween, The texas chainsaw massacre, The Italian job, Cape fear, A Christmas carol or Dawn of the dead any less.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 63
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 4:33:58 PM   
Tidus

they don't make me like the original less they just irritate me when they are bad and unneccessery, i think there a waste of time, money, directors and actors that could have been put to better use.
It also annoys me when people try to have conversations with me like

"have you seen I spit on your grave?"
"original or remake"
"ermmm"
and you just know they're talking about the remake and thats the only version they've seen so instead of getting a conversation about classic cinema you have to talk about a crappy remake.

I'm not someone who will slag a movie of before I've seen it but upon hearing news of remakes sometimes they make me shudder at first, l usually go on imdb after that and check out the director, the writer, the stars etc and see if I think it's worth checking out.

I don't think Carrie is going to be good and won't go out of my way to watch it but I won't go out of my way to not watch it either because maybe it will be alright.
I was sceptical of the evil dead remake but after reading about it and seeing a few screenshots I really want to see how it turns out

< Message edited by Tidus -- 21/10/2012 4:35:58 PM >

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 64
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 5:15:30 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

they don't make me like the original less they just irritate me when they are bad and unneccessery, i think there a waste of time, money, directors and actors that could have been put to better use.

"original or remake"
"ermmm"
and you just know they're talking about the remake and thats the only version they've seen so instead of getting a conversation about classic cinema you have to talk about a crappy remake.

I'm not someone who will slag a movie of before I've seen it but upon hearing news of remakes sometimes they make me shudder at first, l usually go on imdb after that and check out the director, the writer, the stars etc and see if I think it's worth checking out.

I don't think Carrie is going to be good and won't go out of my way to watch it but I won't go out of my way to not watch it either because maybe it will be alright.
I was sceptical of the evil dead remake but after reading about it and seeing a few screenshots I really want to see how it turns out

The line that should have raised red flags was "Have you seen "I Spit on Your Grave"?"

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 65
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 5:41:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

"original or remake"
"ermmm"

The I Spit on your Grave remake is awesome, love the lead girl in it, she's incredible.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 66
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 5:52:42 PM   
snaze1

quote:

"have you seen I spit on your grave?""original or remake"
"ermmm"

I can say in all honesty that that is the first (And probably only time) i have seen the words "I spit on your grave" and Classic cinema in the same sentence.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 67
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 5:55:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

The fact that Sam Raimi is directing the remake does intrigue me however.....

I was about to get a tiny bit intrigued then, but I just read that he won't be directing after-all, he'll just be producing.

Anyway, in the spirit of the original it'll mean that as producer he'll be co-directing anyway......

I am no longer intrigued. I don't see the point in remaking Poltergeist anyway. I'm not against remakes and like I said earlier, studios have got to make their money (although with the actual hit rate of remakes you have to wonder why they bother at all) but some just make you think- why?

quote:

whoever said marty could go back to the 50's and meet his grandparents thats an amazing idea.

That would be me

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 68
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:14:17 PM   
vad3r

If they remake BTTF they should set it in the FUTURE. Year 2894 and travel BACK to 2781. I've seen enough of the 50's/60's/70's/80's/90's to last me a lifetime. They need to grow some balls and show us something we haven't seen for a change.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 69
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:31:31 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

If they remake BTTF they should set it in the FUTURE. Year 2894 and travel BACK to 2781. I've seen enough of the 50's/60's/70's/80's/90's to last me a lifetime. They need to grow some balls and show us something we haven't seen for a change.

That idea makes no sense.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 70
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:36:45 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

The film is set in 2894. They travel back in the time machine car to 2781. Adventure/hilarity/drama ensues. They travel back to their original year of 2894. End with sequel bait.

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 71
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:42:02 PM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

lol, true, I don't even know how to respond to that

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 72
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:46:14 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

lol, true, I don't even know how to respond to that

And this is why creativity and risk in mainstream Hollywood is gone. Suits don't trust the audience to 'get it'.

quote:

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 73
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:47:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

The film is set in 2894. They travel back in the time machine car to 2781. Adventure/hilarity/drama ensues. They travel back to their original year of 2894. End with sequel bait.

I think what JC means is there is absolutely no way anyone can know what the world will be like in 2781 let alone 2894 so there will be no basis in reality for audience members. That is why BTTF was set in the year of its release and 30 years in the past so viewers had points of reference.

But, you already know all this, don't you, Vad3r?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 74
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:52:28 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think what JC means is there is absolutely no way anyone can know what the world will be like in 2781 let alone 2894 so there will be no basis in reality for audience members. That is why BTTF was set in the year of its release and 30 years in the past so viewers had points of reference.

But, you already know all this, don't you, Vad3r?

Fair point, then why can't they set it in 2015 (release date) and travel to 2781 and then back to 2015?

< Message edited by vad3r -- 21/10/2012 6:53:31 PM >

quote:

Post #: 75
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 6:56:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Fair point, then why can't they set it in 2015 (release date) and travel to 2781 and then back to 2015?

It wouldn't be a remake to Back to the Future then. They'd have to change the name for a start.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 76
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:00:42 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

It wouldn't be a remake to Back to the Future then. They'd have to change the name for a start.

Back to the Past? It could work as a pun because they're literally going back to the past to remake a film.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 21/10/2012 7:01:29 PM >

quote:

Post #: 77
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:03:23 PM   
horribleives

The title 'Back To The Future's already a pun.
I think.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 78
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:05:49 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

Back to the Past? It could work as a pun because they're literally going back to the past to remake a film.

That isn't a pun.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 79
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:08:28 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

It wouldn't work at all as it is not a pun. It wouldn't be a remake so they can take your idea and just make a new time-travel film. The film-makers would be relying on new audience members to know Back to the Future to get the joke of the title. And as well known as the film is, I bet you there will many people who are unaware of the 1985 original or know of it but haven't seen it.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 21/10/2012 7:09:13 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 80
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:11:39 PM   
vad3r

quote:

I think.

I meant similar to Piranha 3DD, the execs could name it Back to the Past because a) the characters are going back to the past this time, not future. And b) the film is a remake, hence Back to the Past.

Director - Nicholas Winding Refn
Marty McFly - Zac Efron
Doc Brown - Robin Williams
George McFly - Andy Samberg (his Crispin Glover impression is amazing)
Marty's Mum - Alison Brie (because if she was my mother I still would)

< Message edited by vad3r -- 21/10/2012 7:14:44 PM >

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 81
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:14:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

I think.

I meant similar to Piranha 3DD, the execs could label it as Back to the Past because a) the characters are going back to the past this time, not future. And b) the film is a remake, hence Back to the Past.

Marty McFly - Zac Efron
Marty's Mum - Alison Brie

So, it would be a reboot? It would change a key element of the plot but keep character elements like Smaberg impersonating George from the original?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 82
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:18:15 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I think.

I meant similar to Piranha 3DD, the execs could name it Back to the Past because a) the characters are going back to the past this time, not future. And b) the film is a remake, hence Back to the Past.

Marty McFly - Zac Efron

You really are a first-class wind-up merchant, aintcha?

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 83
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:19:37 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think.

I meant similar to Piranha 3DD, the execs could label it as Back to the Past because a) the characters are going back to the past this time, not future. And b) the film is a remake, hence Back to the Past.

Marty McFly - Zac Efron
Marty's Mum - Alison Brie

So, it would be a reboot? It would change a key element of the plot but keep character elements like Smaberg impersonating George from the original?

Yes, same characters, but instead of going forward, we go back. This would allow them to show a future we haven't seen, not a past which we have.

quote:

Post #: 84
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:20:37 PM   
MonsterCat

I can actually feel myself getting an aneurysm just from trying to understand what the fuck's going on in this thread.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 21/10/2012 7:22:06 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 85
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:22:31 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think.

Marty McFly - Zac Efron

-0 points for originality. 13.5 points for betrayal (I made you a Giamatti avatar).

quote:

Post #: 86
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:27:41 PM   
Tidus

holy crap I wish i'd never mentioned BTTF.

I can just imagine a trailer for Back to the past,

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 87
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:29:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Yes, same characters, but instead of going forward, we go back. This would allow them to show a future we haven't seen, not a past which we have.

They did that in part two.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I can actually feel myself getting an aneurysm just from trying to understand what the fuck's going on in this thread.

You should see a doctor, mate as I have no problem following the thread so it must be just you

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 88
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:30:54 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think.

Marty McFly - Zac Efron

-0 points for originality. 13.5 points for betrayal (I made you a Giamatti avatar).

Well, I've never asked the question before, even though it is rhetorical.

Here's a question. Why 2781? And how would you work-in the plot of BTTF with it set so far into the future? Might as well just create a whole new different film.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 89
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 21/10/2012 7:32:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Here's a question. Why 2781? And how would you work-in the plot of BTTF with it set so far into the future? Might as well just create a whole new different film.

My point exactly.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI