Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The remake that will tip you over the edge

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The remake that will tip you over the edge Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 5:39:18 PM   
Tidus

Remakes are everywhere at the moment, the most recent one that has me shuddering is the Carrie remake.
Some remakes we can see coming from a mile away, those excellent movies that are more than 20 years old.
Im still waiting for someone to make a god awful remake of The Warriors, which is obviously going to happen at some point.

Which movie do you think, upon hearing news of a remake, will make you want to go on a Taxi Driver style rampage at the set. (Pleeeeeeeese nobody remake Taxi Driver)

I think on the day I hear news of a Back to the future remake starring Ryan Reynolds in a time travelling ford focas I may have to just give up on life.

I'm not here, this isn't happening
Post #: 1
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 5:45:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

Back to the Future is always the one I think of when the subject of future remakes comes up. I just don't know how they could do it without setting it in the 80s and have Marty travel back to the 50s. Then, what would be the point remaking it in the first place?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 2
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 5:51:04 PM   
horribleives

They don't really bother me. Even when they're rubbish (like most of the horror ones of the last ten years) I find them quite interesting, especially if I'm a fan of the original (hence I'm quite curious about the new Robocop). What they say about the state of mainstream Hollywood may be somewhat depressing but they're easy enough to ignore.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 3
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 5:57:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, at the end of the day, you don't have to watch them.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 4
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:03:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm not bothered by remakes,well not now anyway.
I get more frustrated with adaptions of books or comic books tbh.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yeah, at the end of the day, you don't have to watch them.

Yep,my thoughts to.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 5
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:03:40 PM   
IPFreely

Carlito's Way

Post #: 6
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:16:12 PM   
Tidus

I know I don't have to watch them but it's irritaing when they spend millions of dollars on a horrible remake of a movie that was brilliant to begin with and didn't need a remake when they could have thrown that money at a worthwhile project.

Don't get me wrong remakes can be good but they're mostly really bad.

(in reply to IPFreely)
Post #: 7
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:21:59 PM   
Tidus

quote:

Back to the Future is always the one I think of when the subject of future remakes comes up. I just don't know how they could do it without setting it in the 80s and have Marty travel back to the 50s. Then, what would be the point remaking it in the first place?

they would probably just send him back to the 80's,

Btw to the people who are saying they don't mind remakes the question is "What remake do you not want to see" there must be some movies that you don't want a remake of?

Post #: 8
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:46:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

I know I don't have to watch them but it's irritaing when they spend millions of dollars on a horrible remake of a movie that was brilliant to begin with and didn't need a remake when they could have thrown that money at a worthwhile project.

It irritates you when studio wastes their own money remaking a film? They are in the business of making money so they remake known money-makers or those the feel will be lucrative. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but studios would rather do that than throw cash at a risky project. Sure, it sucks but that's just the way it works. Also, I'm not really sure how you would define a 'worthwhile project' who can tell what projects are worthwhile or not? It's not as tough we haven't any any films recently that aren't a remake or a sequel. Often when a studio takes a risk it doesn't make enough money (Cabin in the Woods for example)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 9
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:49:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

That is why the film won't work and probably why nobody has written a BTTF remake yet. The culture shock value just isn't there for that to work.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 10
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:49:51 PM   
chris kilby

Citizen Kane's still gotta be the holiest of holy grails. Although I could imagine someone trying a "Citizen Murdoch." And I remain eternally grateful that persistent rumours of a Matter of Life and Death remake in the 80s came to nothing.

(Scary to think that three years from now it'll be thirty years since Back To The Future - the same gap between 1985 and 1955! I just hope that doesn't give some pinhead suit ideas... )

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 11
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 6:51:01 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is why the film won't work and probably why nobody has written a BTTF remake yet. The culture shock value just isn't there for that to work.

Besides, it's been done already. It was called Drive!

Post #: 12
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 7:00:25 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

They don't really bother me. Even when they're rubbish (like most of the horror ones of the last ten years) I find them quite interesting, especially if I'm a fan of the original (hence I'm quite curious about the new Robocop). What they say about the state of mainstream Hollywood may be somewhat depressing but they're easy enough to ignore.

My feelings exactly. And when re-makes work (The Fly, John Carpenter's The Thing) they often join if not supplant the originals as classics - don't forget The Maltese Falcon was the third go at that story! While I don't have high hopes for the already "troubled" Rebootcop, it could have things to say about the here-and-now (The War on Terror, The Credit Crunch, Fox "NEWS") just as the original ruthlessly satirised 80s America - the seemingly benign "Old Man" = Reagan, etc.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 8:18:24 PM   
Super Hans

To be honest, I find that hard to answer as I don't really see the point of any remake, so any film they do remake is going to be greeted with my usual "oh, another fucking remake??" thought! Especially nowdays when they seem to be remaking/rebooting anything they possibly can - it's all pretty pointless in my eyes and is probably mostly the resul;t of a lack of fresh ideads out there.

Robocop has already been mentioned - that's probably the most pointless one recently which possibly tipped me over the edge! The original is an excellent, smart and funny film and I can't imagine that it could have done what it intended to do any better than it did.

Completely agree with Back to the Future. Maybe Ghostbusters as well?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 14
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 8:57:27 PM   
Tidus

quote:

It irritates you when studio wastes their own money remaking a film?

yes

Post #: 15
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:02:14 PM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

quote:

in the original he gets sent back in time 30 years

so are you saying there wouldn't be a culture shock if sombody got sent back in time to 1982?

oh god not a ghostbusters remake.

Also if anyone thinks it would be cool to do stand by me remake I swear I will blow up a hospital.

Post #: 16
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:15:42 PM   
jackcarter

its got to be Star Wars right? or maybe the Godfather or Raiders. anything like that (but they probably will get remade someday)

i think we might get BTTF IV in 2015 (i dont think they could get away with a remake - at least not yet - too much of a backlash). Marty jnr going back to 1985 (using alternate universes to explain why 2015 dosnt look like 2015 in BTTF 2). 2015 is the 30th anniversary plus the BTTF2 setting plus Christopher Lloyd really does look like Doc Brown now - its just too tempting

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 17
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:25:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

so are you saying there wouldn't be a culture shock if sombody got sent back in time to 1982?

Yes

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 20/10/2012 9:26:05 PM >

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 18
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:26:22 PM   
Tidus

God i hope they leave BTTF alone.
Star wars , Raiders, The Godfather, they would all be terrible but i think we will probably be spared those for a long time yet.

The one's that scare me the most are the one's that i imagine hearing news of anyday now.

Mad Max would piss me off big time, American Werewolf in London to

< Message edited by Tidus -- 20/10/2012 9:28:17 PM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 19
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:27:51 PM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

Yes

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one mate

Post #: 20
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:38:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes

Fair enough but look at it this way- we know far too much about the 1980s for it to be a culture shock. With the internet and a lot of our pop culture being from that decade I just don't think it would have as much of an impact as being in 85 going back to the 50s. The decade is full of songs we still listen to, movies and tv shows we still watch (originals and remakes) I honestly doubt the average teenager from today getting sent back to then would give a shit. People in the 1980s would be a lot more surprised about the advances in technology than the kid getting sent back would about the crap technology. Especially considering you can buy 'reto' games machines and the like these days. Unless they make the main character a total moron who knows absolutely nothing about anything, of course.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 21
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:45:56 PM   
Tidus

if you sent an average teenager to 1982 he would freak,

whats an iphone all we got is these pagers.
you want to send somebody a picture? use that fax machine
Call of Duty? we got asteroids

it wouldn't be as bad as going from 85 to 55 but it would still be a massive culture shock.

god i hope nobody reads this and thinks "screw it, I'm remaking it, that sounds awesome"

Post #: 22
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:51:50 PM   
Shifty Bench

It won't be 1982 though, it'll be 85/86/87 by the time the film is even made.

I just think too much of our culture today is similar to the 1980s for it to be a huge culture shock.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 20/10/2012 9:52:42 PM >

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 23
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 9:57:44 PM   
Tidus

quote:

which film? the one we're imagining exists.

Post #: 24
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 10:00:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

which film? the one we're imagining exists.

What? I'm talking about the Back to the Future remake, it won't be made tomorrow so the year the kid gets sent back won't be 1982.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 25
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 10:06:44 PM   
Tidus

I don't think there really is a BTTF remake starring ryan reynolds in a time travelling ford focas, it was a sort of joke

Post #: 26
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 10:13:07 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I don't think there really is a BTTF remake starring ryan reynolds in a time travelling ford focas, it was a sort of joke

Ok.......

I was under absolutely no illusion that our conversation was anything other than hypothetical. I would have thought the fact that I not once mentioned a ford focus would have tipped you off. And did you really think that I thought Ryan Reynolds could play a teenager? Reading my posts over again, I can't even see how you could have come to the conclusion that I thought a remake was actually in the works

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 20/10/2012 10:38:25 PM >

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 27
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 10:26:19 PM   
Mister Coe

I'm actually OK with the Carrie remake... I love the original but it looks kinda dated nowadays and Chloe Moretz is such a good young actress... plus the book is structured in an interesting way, if that translates to the modern day, this could be a good'un...

But if anyone touches 'Labyrinth' (I don't meant the Channel 4 version of the recent book, but the 1986 classic)... well, there might be murders...

Post #: 28
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 11:10:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes

Fair enough but look at it this way- we know far too much about the 1980s for it to be a culture shock. With the internet and a lot of our pop culture being from that decade I just don't think it would have as much of an impact as being in 85 going back to the 50s. The decade is full of songs we still listen to, movies and tv shows we still watch (originals and remakes) I honestly doubt the average teenager from today getting sent back to then would give a shit. People in the 1980s would be a lot more surprised about the advances in technology than the kid getting sent back would about the crap technology. Especially considering you can buy 'reto' games machines and the like these days. Unless they make the main character a total moron who knows absolutely nothing about anything, of course.

Shifty is spot on in his comments here, no way would a BTTF remake be as effective or worthwhile if it was intially set in contemporary times going back to the 80's. I agree with everything he says above, it just wouldnt have the same punch.

BTTF worked so well because the 50's was the first time that the teenager started to have a relevant voice in popular culture

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 29
RE: The remake that will tip you over the edge - 20/10/2012 11:15:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

Thanks, DK, appreciate it.

You're still wrong about Battleship, though (only kidding, mate, I still haven't seen it)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The remake that will tip you over the edge Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI