Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 12:49:48 AM   
giggity

We all know that fanboys are morons and are a black mark on true fans of any property or franchise but whats the silliest or most ridiculous example of fanboy behaviour you've seen or read?

While I can't think of any specific moment, I do think it's quite funny/sad that back in 2005/2006 90% of geek message boards had people saying things like christopher nolan is the saviour of the cinema and every property had his name suggested to direct it or his approach to anything. Then after 2008 you started to hear things like Chris Nolan is overrated then nowdays you go onto any message board and you see half the posts are Nolan is a fucking hack! and he hasnt done anything good since memento or fuck this dark, serious approach to films etc...
I think it's ridiculous that with the more success he got the more people think he's a hack or not actually very good.

anyway, your examples?
Post #: 1
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 12:50:28 PM   
Dead Mike

The 'Dredd' thread on here. Horrible

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 12:53:30 PM   
jcthefirst

vad3r

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 3
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 12:59:32 PM   
adambatman82

Articles like this, and the annoyingness it's going to provoke over the next three years.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35547

And while I know it's bad formto link to one's own website, I myself had a run in with Transformers fans after publishing the first review of Transformers 3. A TF forum launched unholy war on me. The comments section on my site imploded with activity, most of which was accusing me of being a nonce and with war vets threatening to steal my fingers.

Google "Hope Lies Transformers 3" for the full story.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 4
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 1:57:09 PM   
matty_b

bondnotblonde.com

Wankers, the lot of 'em.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 2:17:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Articles like this, and the annoyingness it's going to provoke over the next three years.

And while I know it's bad formto link to one's own website, I myself had a run in with Transformers fans after publishing the first review of Transformers 3. A TF forum launched unholy war on me. The comments section on my site imploded with activity, most of which was accusing me of being a nonce and with war vets threatening to steal my fingers.

Ha, I remember reading that. Unbelievably cretinous.
Years ago I heard some dickhead on a bus (who - no shit - looked exactly like the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons) stamping his feet and joylessly going blue in his acne-ridden 30-something face about the horrendous, childhood-raping news that Scrappy was going to be in the Scooby Doo film. Really.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 6
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 2:45:48 PM   
directorscut

Attack of the Clones.

5 stars.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 7
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 4:38:33 PM   
Bad Ash

What's the difference between a fanboy and your "true fans"?

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 8
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 5:13:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bad Ash

What's the difference between a fanboy and your "true fans"?

Or internet fanboy and internet troll?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Bad Ash)
Post #: 9
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 5:19:15 PM   
Hood_Man

We must have different definitions of what a fanboy is, because I don't think of them like that at all.

I think of them as the most obsessive and perhaps passionate of fans yes, but it's a term of endearment surely? I think that as annoying as they can sometimes be, they're also wonderful.

We wouldn't have Star Trek if it wasn't for fanboys. Or Comic Con.

[EDIT]

For instance, I think of everyone on this forum as a fanboy. Whether it's a Comic Book Fanboy, a LOTR/Evil Dead Fanboy, a Star Wars Fanboy, or a Fanboy of Film in general.

We've all taken the time to sign up to an online community to talk about our love of film, that makes us a minority.

Not that I'm disputing what you've experienced giggitty, I just don't think the people you've described are fanboys.

They're dicks

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 19/10/2012 5:24:56 PM >

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 10
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 5:31:55 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

We must have different definitions of what a fanboy is, because I don't think of them like that at all.

I think of them as the most obsessive and perhaps passionate of fans yes, but it's a term of endearment surely? I think that as annoying as they can sometimes be, they're also wonderful.

We wouldn't have Star Trek if it wasn't for fanboys. Or Comic Con.

[EDIT]

For instance, I think of everyone on this forum as a fanboy. Whether it's a Comic Book Fanboy, a LOTR/Evil Dead Fanboy, a Star Wars Fanboy, or a Fanboy of Film in general.

We've all taken the time to sign up to an online community to talk about our love of film, that makes us a minority.

Not that I'm disputing what you've experienced giggitty, I just don't think the people you've described are fanboys.

They're dicks

I think that we're just very passionate fans, a fanboy is a fan who loves something but they're also ignorant at the same time that if something happens with the property which doesn't exactly gel with how they think the property should be portrayed they throw a massive tantrum or or go on huge childish diatribes about how it's 'wrong' often without sense or an idea of what good film-making is. If it's something that they don't like personally it's wrong. An example of fanboy-ism would be someone who didnt like Daniel Craig because he was blonde, or Harry Knowles review of Dark Knight Rises (his problems with it were it wasn't the Batman he grew up with and liked)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 11
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 5:42:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Just read through the comment section on your blog regarding Transformers 3 and I wholeheartedly applaud you for not responding to some of the more robust negative views coming your way because,frankly, I would have went ape-sh*t.

On fanboys.Well some of them are lovable,sweet,kind while others are complete and utter ignorant,selfish assholes.

I do laugh meanfully though at Alien2 hardcore-fanboys who are still getting over the death of Hicks and Newt in Alien-3 and who are still trying desperately hard to wipe said movie from there minds/memory.
And its even crossing over to Gamers,with the release of Aliens:Colonial Marines supposedly being (from the creators of the game) the "true sequel".Err no chaps.We got the "true sequel" and it was called Alien 3.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 19/10/2012 6:04:50 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 7:53:14 PM   
kumar

When people claim the alien in Alien is "about the male fear of childbirth" and persist on that point. This was slightly touched upon in another thread "reading too much into things". Designers im sure had that in mind, but the film, and the alien itself doesnt work because "its about male childbirth" it just works on that level. Its not like when i watched it first time (or since reading that point) I was thinking "oh, im afraid of giving birth".

I think this is a big fan boy issue for me. Also, the Star Wars fan boys who are ignorant to all of the films faults including not least the dire script.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 13
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 19/10/2012 8:14:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

When people claim the alien in Alien is "about the male fear of childbirth" and persist on that point. This was slightly touched upon in another thread "reading too much into things". Designers im sure had that in mind, but the film, and the alien itself doesnt work because "its about male childbirth" it just works on that level. Its not like when i watched it first time (or since reading that point) I was thinking "oh, im afraid of giving birth".

That's not fanboyism, unless they don't teel you that your blood should rust for disagreeing with them. Then it's fanboyism.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 19/10/2012 8:17:43 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 14
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 20/10/2012 2:21:56 PM   
musht

I know a Star Wars fanboy and I love trolling him. When you spend over 500 quid on the costume of a character from the fan fiction ("official canon") you deserve some slagging.

All in good spirit of course, I don't bully the chap . . . It'd be hard to bully someone who willingly classifies himself as a "supernerd"

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 15
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 20/10/2012 7:14:09 PM   
chris kilby

Christ, take yer pick.

Any unironic use of "Worst. Film/Episode. EVER!!!" (complete with shouty CAPS LOCK and over-enthusiastic/gratuitous deployment of the exclamation mark - one's enough, guys, unless you're having an aneurysm or something) which occurs with a depressing regularity that is truly soul-destroying. But for sheer pig-headed and embarrassingly premature arsewittery of the highest order, CRAIGNOTBOND.COM still takes some beating. I realise a lot of online fanboys suffer from premature indignation, but FFS...

I'm also quite partial to cliches of the "I''m entitled to my opinion" variety (indeed you are, no matter how cretinous, ill-thought out or swivel-eyed - but that doesn't mean we're entitled to them) and educationally sub-normal, post-literate fuckwits who shrilly insist that "[INSERT NAME] kant rite!!!!!!"

Talk about putting the jerk in knee-jerk!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 20/10/2012 7:20:59 PM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 16
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 20/10/2012 7:38:04 PM   
IPFreely

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

I know a Star Wars fanboy and I love trolling him. When you spend over 500 quid on the costume of a character from the fan fiction ("official canon") you deserve some slagging.

All in good spirit of course, I don't bully the chap . . . It'd be hard to bully someone who willingly classifies himself as a "supernerd"

I had a friend who's missus bought the full Ghostbusters outfit for his birthday. He was made up. I didn't have the heart to tell him he looked like a tit.

That's what kids are for. Live vicariously. It's cute then.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 21/10/2012 5:13:38 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike

The 'Dredd' thread on here. Horrible

Yeah, totally agree. I thought the mousemobbing of one poster by some other rejects from the 2000AD forum that had seemingly followed him here was particularly awful - especially when they started calling him by his (alleged) real first name. Creepy, creepy stuff.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 18
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 21/10/2012 5:35:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't think this is fanboyism.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 19
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 21/10/2012 5:44:48 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

In fairness, you do have a long history of being unable to compute Sir Ridley Scott criticism.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 20
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 21/10/2012 6:32:15 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

quote:

In fairness, you do have a long history of being unable to compute Sir Ridley Scott criticism.

Ha, that made me laugh.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 21
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 21/10/2012 6:40:37 PM   
MonsterCat

Probably when those Nolan/Batman Fan boys sent death threats to the one guy who had the temerity to write a negative Dark Knight Rises review. I forget the website's name but I believe the admins had to shut down its forum because of it.

I've said and done some pathetic things on the net, but what they did is insanely idiotic.

quote:

I think what we have here is a pot calling the kettle black situation.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 21/10/2012 6:43:09 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 22
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 22/10/2012 4:25:27 AM   
Deviation

I thought that was a joke about Girv never finishing his bloody Prometheus review. Girv, the Blu-Ray is out, you have no excuse.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 22/10/2012 10:02:32 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

I hated Robin Hood. Hated it.

And Prometheus isn't even a film I will champion all that much.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 24
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 22/10/2012 10:36:29 AM   
Bad Ash

So, I think I now understand from the posts on this page what a fanboy is. So I assume a "true fan" is the opposite of this, as in someone who is just as passionate about a certain property (be it Star Wars or Alien or whatever) but whom does not get bogged down in the detail (i.e whether is was a R3 or R4 unit that Uncle Owen nearly buys before he decides on R2 D2 on Tattoine), does not argue the point with all and sundry till they are blue in the face and no matter how tedious a point it may be, who doesn't use CAPS LOCK TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE OR MAKE THEIR MORE HEARTFELT POINTS STAND OUT, who will discuss a subject calmly and reasonably and who is un-offensive and gracious when they are wrong?? Well, let me know when you meet one on here!

I just thought starting a thread off attacking a certain demographic (regardless of how annoying said demographic might be to you) is a bit off! The above point about 'true fans' was actually fairly serious - this forum is bursting at the seams with your so-called fanboys (but whom would sooner call themselves 'true fans') and many of them have posted on this very thread (cue plethora of defensive posts)! Fanboy-ism isn't just limited to sci-fi property's, you could have your average movie fanboy who is passionate about movies in general, who joins an internet forum in order to "discuss" their passion, who racks up thousands upon thousands of posts (some argumentative and even troll-like, some not) over a relatively short period of time and whom demonstrates some or all of the traits described in any one of the posts above that is supposedly describing fanboy-ism,.......and whom is also a moron! I don't call them fanboys or true fans - I call them people with waaaaay too much time on their hands!!

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 25
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 22/10/2012 11:42:52 AM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 17/11/2012 12:42:39 PM   
Moorish

I used to post a lot of shit when I was younger which I am absolutely embarrassed of now. It's all locked in a vault in my mind and have destroyed the key.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 17/11/2012 1:48:01 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

I think this is a big fan boy issue for me. Also, the Star Wars fan boys who are ignorant to all of the films faults including not least the dire script.

Yeah, I always thought it was about the male (and female) fear of having your head eaten off by a hideous head-eating monster-thing.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 28
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 17/11/2012 2:39:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep,Ridleys Robin Hood was sh*t.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? - 17/11/2012 4:13:50 PM   
gunstar

For me, it's the in-depth discussion of the 'unanswered questions' of Prometheus both here and on other forums. This isn't intentional ambiguity to ruminate on ad infinitum people; it's bad writing.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Most ridiculous display of fanboy-ism you've seen? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI