Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hall of Fame 16: Round 01

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Hall of Fame 16: Round 01

Control (Corbijn) MonsterCat
  5% (1)
For All Mankind (Reinert) Gimli
  5% (1)
Galaxy Quest (Parisot) Rebel Scum
  5% (1)
Gregory's Girl (Genius) MovieAddict247
  0% (0)
The Hustler (Rossen) TRM
  5% (1)
The King of Comedy (ScorSese) JiraffeJustin
  20% (4)
Machuca (Wood) Deviation
  5% (1)
Odd Man Out (Reed) Impqueen
  10% (2)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Other Genius) MattyB
  5% (1)
The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson) Paulie_86
  10% (2)
Shadow of a Doubt (der Best) Elab49
  15% (3)
War of the Buttons (Roberts) Rebenectomy
  10% (2)
Saturday Night Sunday Morning (Reisz) Rawlinson
  5% (1)

Total Votes : 20

(last vote on : 29/8/2013 9:21:15 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:27:48 AM   
rawlinson

Control is a near two hour long black and white film about the lead singer of Joy Division, who battled with epilepsy and hung himself in his home when he was only 23 years old. OK, admittedly, that sentence - which doesn't do the film any justice - makes it sound like a real dirge of a film, but the simple fact of the matter is that Control is a fantastic rock biopic film told with warmth, wit and sadness.

Shot in crisp black and white by rock photographer turned director Anton Corbijn (Who snapped those iconic pictures of Joy Division for the NME, and shot the video for the band's single Atmosphere), Control starts of with Curtis as a David Bowie loving schoolboy in Macclesfield and to the formation of the band Warsaw, which would later become Joy Division. Along the way he falls in love with his soon to be wife Debbie, has a baby with her, becomes increasingly distant from his wife and child, and has an affair with Belgian rock journalist Annik.

From the outset, Control does sound like it is simply ticking off the rock biopic boxes (Tortured rock star? Check! Rock star battling an illness? Check!), but what sets Control apart from other biopics like Walk The Line and Ray is that is never feels like it's portentous, overbearing or simply screaming to be recognized during the awards silly season. Despite Curtis' terribly sad life, Corbijn never lets Control slide into manipulative sentimentality. He imbues his film with touching moments of pathos, unbearable sadness and a sense of earthy northern humor. Indeed, Control is actually quite funny in parts - with Craig Parkinson nailing his portrayal as the witty Tony Wilson and Joe Anderson perfectly capturing Peter Hook's sarcasm and droll humor.

At the heart of Control is the love triangle of Ian, Annik and Debbie, which is played wonderfully by then newcomer Sam Riley, Alexandra Maria Lara and the sublime Samantha Morton. In lesser hands this aspect of the film could have been completely fudged, but here Corbijn is careful not to demonize anyone in this situation. All three characters in this situation are sympathetic, likable, and - in Curtis' case - deeply flawed but inherently decent.

So please vote for Control, because it's a fantastic film and I'm now on my fifth HOF and I still haven't fucking won.

Three reasons I wish I was born about 30 years earlier. First, so I could be a hippie in 60's America. Second, there was better music back then. Third, and most importantly, so I could have seen the moon landings as they happened. No matter how many times I see footage from the Apollo 11 mission, it never becomes any less impressive or awe-inspiring, and it was probably the last time people came together in unison for something that wasn't miserable or depressing. This documentary combines footage from numerous Apollo missions but is edited and presented as one single mission. As such, a lot is shown out of context but this is less concerned with presenting the facts, instead showing unseen, spectacular footage, and allowing the astronauts in their voiceovers to reminisce. There's some brilliant stuff here, including a collection of clips that wouldn't be out of place on a blooper reel with the all-to-happy astronauts tripping and stumbling over. Their sense of humour and elation comes across as well, and it is quite amazing to think that 40 years again there were men laughing and joking on the moon. It's an superb documentary about a truly incredible achievement.

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall vote for Galaxy Quest!

Wait, you need more? Fine...

Ah, Galaxy Quest. A film enjoyed by anyone with a functional soul. It may not transcend the genre it's lampooning, or turn it completely on its head, but it's one of the very best spoofs because of the obvious love for its target (Star Trek) and its cohesive and occasionally surprisingly moving story. When was the last time a spoof had anything approaching a decent story and characters that existed as more than a shuttle to get from joke A to joke B? Even better, the jokes never sacrifice character for a cheap laugh, and they're so well-rounded that simply their reaction to the outlandish space opera scenarios presents comedy gold. Take, for example, when Jason's fighting a rock monster and everyone's shouting unhelpful advice at him-the advice is so consistent with their characters (Alexander recommends working out its motivation, Guy tells him to construct "a rudimentary lathe”) and it's also great comedy. Even better, there are honest-to-god character arcs in this, and while some moments may be inevitable (You just KNOW that at some point the crew will have to confess to being actors) they aren't short-changed by breaking it up with jokes, but instead it goes boldly serious and deals with the repercussions of it.

Before this starts getting too serious, it's also worth noting that the film's funny as hell. Pretty much all the gags hit, and the big joke set-pieces are a genuine joy to behold. The entire excursion onto the alien planet, the wonderful satire of fan culture, Guy screaming about how he's going to die, anything Alan Rickman says or does...it's all awesome. The lampooning of Star Trek tropes is also spot-on, so much so that none other than J. J. Abrams has called it "The best Star Trek movie” and George Takei, one of the coolest motherfuckers in history, said it was "a chillingly realistic documentary.” So it's funny, it's got a heart, and it's a great sci-fi film on its own merits. This Hall of Fame, vote for the plucky comic relief.

Blurb to come

Fast Eddie Felson is an exciting young talent in the game of pool. He spends his days going to pool halls to try and win enough money off the locals to keep him fed and allow him to hone his game. In order to try and win higher stakes, Felson will often use the trick of hustling his opponents into underestimating his abilities before showing his full potential. Unfortunately for Felson, he finds out where Minnesota Fats, a long time champion, plays pool and so decides to challenge him.

Paul Newman is electric as Fast Eddie Felson, in what is not only a career best performance (and what a career) but one of the all time greatest performances. The vibe he manages to give off as the man possessed is so terrifying to witness, that you believe that this is a man who would do literally anything to be able to get one over on his adversary. He plays a game for the pleasure he takes from humiliating his victim rather than for the sport itself. You feel that this is a man who only strives to be the best at this sport as it is the one he was great at.

As a result of this, it is within the moments around the table where this film really comes alive. The relationships which Felson ruins are of course tragic to see, but this is clearly a man who finds more heartbreak in not being able to get one over on another competitor than he does within the tragedies of his lovelife away from the game. His focus at all times is on how he can get one over on his next opponent.

The tension this creates within all aspects of his life is what makes The Hustler the greatest sports film ever made. You find yourself wanting Felson's next game to come along nearly as much as he does himself, just to see the reactions as the game goes on. This isnt to take away from the actual shots put on show, as the shots shown are incredible, but the match is never the most important thing (something most sports films tend to struggle with).

This movie is sad as shit, man. I was expecting something over here, but what I got was something over there. Rupert Pupkin never even said the "fuck" word or shot anybody in the face, hand, or body. He didn't save a 13-year old prostitute. He wasn't a gangster. Joe Pesci isn't even in the movie. None of that even matters though. DeNiro as Rupert Pupkin is almost as chilling as DeNiro as Travis Bickle. If Taxi Driver was rated PG, it would be The King of Comedy.

And Jerry Lewis was awesome too. And so was Sandra Bernhard.

Watch this movie. Vote it #1. All the other nominees are greedy and only want office for selfish reasons and will do nothing for you, the little people.

Before you go on, let's get one thing out of the way. Yes, Machuca can be said of being a reproduction of Au Reviour, Les Enfants in Chile, with some moments, including a certain heartbreaking moment involving a priest saying the title of the French film being almost cloned into Wood's film. Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to explain on why Machuca is very much worth your time while sharing a similar setting to Au Reviour, it is also a different beast. Set in the final days of Allende's government and ends after Pinochet's coup d'etat, Machuca other than dealing with a coming of age story with a strangely refined showing of the political/economic situation at the end of Allende's reign, deals with a sensible and hot topic in Chile, that being education and the endless controversial discussion on privatizing it or making it universal and the attitudes towards with any of the positions. It even deals with some of the relations between the indigenous Mapuche population and the rest of the Chilean population and some of the issues of social classes with the current form of education.

Now to an explanation on why Machuca is a great film outside the technical level. It is a very emotional film, even on just the coming-of-age front, it features excellent acting by everyone involved, Wood's direction is excellent and features tiny titbits that add a whole stylish new level to thing (like a certain graffiti shouting "Hay Guerra Civil”), the soundtrack is excellent (Los Bunkers and Las Jiavas FTW!) and the script is simultaneously very moving and well thought-out. It is brilliant and if you don't like then you're probably Margeret Thatcher.

Before Harry Lime there was Johnny McQueen. For those of you who followed my Top 100 Favourite Films you will already be aware that I was unable to choose between The Third Man and Odd Man Out and as a result both claimed the much desired number one spot, if you didn't I apologise for the spoiler and your obvious crushing disappointment. Today as I write my final ineffectual blurb for the hollowed Hall of Fame I still cannot choose between them because as iconic and brilliantly entertaining as The Third Man is Odd Man Out matches it in every way.

The film opens with a bank robbery gone wrong. The gang are led by James Mason's Johnny McQueen and are not your ordinary group of crooks they are in fact members of an unnamed Irish organisation (though it is obvious who they are intended to represent) and though the film can be seen as controversially sympathising with their cause the criticism is rendered mute by Carol Reed's lack of interest in the activities of McQueen or his posse. Odd Man Out isn't a film about the IRA it's a film that explores one man's personal purgatory, the increasing struggle between his head, heart and faith. As the job goes badly McQueen is injured and left behind; he staggers through the snow flecked streets of Belfast increasingly desperate. Hunted and slowly dying his journey becomes gradually more surreal as night continues and his life spirals out of control as he encounters several people who help, hinder and exploit.

In the central role of McQueen the incomparable James Mason is superb, an actor often (I believe) overlooked but one all the same who gave a number of quite astonishing performances, usually of haunted desperate men on the brink of self-destruction and here in Odd Man Out he excels. Though Mason is surrounded by an excellent supporting cast including F. J. McCormick, Cyril Cusack and the striking and wonderful débutante Kathleen Ryan it is Mason and McQueen who dominate the film though Belfast itself runs a close second as an evocative landscape of dark winding streets, a practically impenetrable maze populated with curious folk.

Odd Man Out is a sublime piece of filmmaking, it is beautifully photographed, has a stirring score, a fantastic eclectic cast all of whom are on form. It is an intelligent slice of cinema and a genuine post-war tour de force that deserves to be seen and regard as such by as many as possible. Watch it as a singular masterwork, double bill it with The Third Man or triple bill with The Fallen Idol just watch it and bask in the brilliance of Carol Reed's late 1940's quality and appreciate Odd Man Out's quiet excellence.

I'm a huge fan of urban myths, particularly the kind that are unexplainable; and ultimately, I don't think it matters that they're never true, because it's all about the storytelling and how the myth is told. Picnic At Hanging Rock is a perfect example of how to tell an urban myth.

It's Valentine's Day in 1900 and in Victoria, Australia a group of students from the local all-girls school take a trip out to the local geological formation known as Hanging Rock to sketch, undertake a nature study and, yes, have a picnic. Upon arrival, however, the sweltering temperatures soon send many of the students and staff off to sleep - apart from three students who wander off trance-like into the crevasses of the rock and disappear without trace. When the teachers discover this they return to the school in hysterics, and despite the best efforts of the local police, there is no trace of the girls to be found and worst of all, no seeming explanation of the events.

Peter Weir is astute enough to know that the power of the story resides in the fact that there are no answers to be given (although the novel the film is based on did provide an explanation, a move wisely scrapped by Weir), and he plays on it brilliantly, conjuring up a drowsy, nightmarish atmosphere that crawls under the skins of all the characters, shattering their closeted and strictly-ruled world. The disappearance is a catalyst for all manner of jealousies, sexual repressions and dark secrets to come tumbling out of the shadows between the students and their teachers, while their classmates remain unaccounted for. The disappearance itself is one of the most subtly scary scenes ever directed, as the girls silently, and in complete unison, vanish into the recesses of the dark, soundtracked by nothing but some unfathomable and subterranean rumbling (the sound design in this film is brilliantly conceived) and it's all the more powerful for the fact that it's filmed in bright, unblinking sunshine. Even though you wouldn't necessarily categorise it as a horror film, it does what all the great ones of that genre do - gives you the chills in broad daylight. It's further tribute to Weir's mastery of the material that the rest of the film, following this superb opening act, is as haunting and mysterious as the act that gives the film its name. Apparently, the fact that the film ends with no real resolution of the central mystery infuriated some American distributors, with one allegedly throwing his coffee cup at the screen at the end in pure anger, and that to me is just one of the reasons Picnic At Hanging Rock deserves its place in the Hall Of Fame. Any film with the bravery to maintain the sense of slowly boiling hysteria and unease that this one has should garner every plaudit possible, and while Weir would later make some wonderful American films, it is back in his Australian roots that his finest accomplishment lies. Creepy, haunting, dream-like - there is simply little else like this.

The Royal Tenenbaums is probably the film people think of when they think of The Wes Anderson Style, which I think that some people define as a quirky look at the problems of priviliged people often starring Bill Murray. I do think that's a bit reductive though, especially in the case of Tenenbaums. First of all the quirk/whimsy isn't just there all there is in the film, it is backed up by actual emotional stakes, and in one case, life and death stakes. And while I can't deny the privilege of the characters, it doesn't stop me being invested in, and yes, caring about their lives and problems. I think it probably helps that Anderson doesn't frame this as an aspirational way of living. In fact, at least two of the Tenenbaum children use their money as a way to cut themselves off from the world in the face of a tragedy or just simply running away from their problem. I think Wes Anderson is one of the great modern American filmmakers and his best film would be a worthy entrant into the Hall of Fame.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is a brilliant character study of the kind of angry young man that seemed to be so typical of this era of British art. Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney) is intelligent, but he's also provocative and self-destructive. Working at a factory by day, he spends his nights drinking and starting a relationship with a girl his own age while also having an affair with the wife of one of his co-workers. I often think that the 'kitchen sink' drama leads to many people dismissing the British new wave, because it kind of suggests a film filled with drudgery. The truth is that the best of these films were a reaction against that kind of life. There's so much fire and fury in these films and I think it often gets overlooked. You can see rage of these characters feeding through to today, especially into music. The angry young working class of the 60s became the punks of a decade later, with Saturday Night... also later inspiring the likes of The Smiths and The Arctic Monkeys. It's breathtaking, angry stuff, and it deserves a place in the Hall of Fame.

Blurb to come

Blurb to come

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/10/2012 10:21:14 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:28:29 AM   
rawlinson

Could the first mod to read this please please add a public poll? Votes to be in two months from today - 18th December

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:37:30 AM   
rawlinson

Thoughts on the noms

Control - A really good film, with two great performances from Riley and Morton. Not sure it'll be enough to win though.
For All Mankind - Thank God Gimli didn't use his time as a longtermer to nominate Forrest Gump. That's my only reaction to this so far.
Galaxy Quest - It's an enjoyable enough film, and given some of the voters this time, I wouldn't be surprised to see it reach the second round. But it's nowhere near HoF-worthy, IMO. Unless the HoF was themed around live action Tim Allen films.
Gregory's Girl - A gem of a film, hope it does well.
The Hustler - A masterpiece, probably the great Paul Newman's finest performance. Wouldn't mind TRM getting his third victory for this one.
King of Comedy - A possible dark horse winner. As amazing as it is, it would feel wrong for this to win the HoF when Taxi Driver failed in the last one.
Machuca - This one is new to me
Odd Man Out - One of the best films in the round. It doesn't get raved about as much as The Third Man, hopefully a lot of people will fall in love with it from its HoF nom.
Picnic at Hanging Rock - Haunting, beautiful. Much like with TRM's nom, I'd be happy to see Matty get his third win for this.
Royal Tenenbaums - Was my favourite Anderson film until Moonrise Kingdom came out. Paul is also in with a chance of a third victory, again it'd be deserved, but I'd be surprised if it won against this competition.
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - Vote for it
Shadow of a Doubt - Not in my top three Hitchcock, but still better than most other films ever made.
War of the Buttons - The plot sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen this.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:43:38 AM   
matty_b

Control - been meaning to see this for a while, so this is the boot up the arse I need.

For All Mankind - never seen it, sounds fascinating.

Galaxy Quest - I've never loved it as much as other people, but I haven't seen it since the cinema release so a rewatch may improve it.

Gregory's Girl - just watched Local Hero for the first time yesterday, so this will be the perfect follow up.

The Hustler - fantastic film, and one I'd considered nominating. Probably Newman's best performance. The Color of Money can go fuck itself. Probably the winner right here.

The King of Comedy - top three Scorsese.

Machuca - obviously being a Deviation nomination I've never heard of it. A comparison to Au Revoir... can only be a good thing, though.

Odd Man Out - another I've been meaning to catch up with for a while.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - amazing, obviously.

The Royal Tenenbaums - not an Anderson fan, but I'll give it another go. Hackman's brilliant, however.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - see Odd Man Out.

Shadow of a Doubt - not top five Hitchcock, but great nonetheless.

War of the Buttons - never heard of it. Lack of blurb leaves me hangin', yo.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:52:17 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The Hustler - fantastic film, and one I'd considered nominating.

Me too, actually.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:54:15 AM   
matty_b

It's going to win, isn't it?

Anyway, quite a few of these appear to be on YouTube. But be beware - although Gregory's Girl is, the comments below it seem to indicate it's a dubbed version.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 11:54:56 AM   
MonsterCat

Here's are the ones I have actually seen...

Galaxy Quest - It's the only Tim Allen film I can truly stomach. It's a good film and I reckon it deserves to go to round 2 at the very least.

The King of Comedy - It's been a long time since I've seen it, so It will be nice to catch up with it.

Royal Tennenbaums - I can take or leave Wes Anderson. Sometimes I find his films are little bit too hard to take, but Tennenbaums is one of the easier watches from his canon. Mostly because of the god-like Hackman and Murray.

Control - I think this has more of chance of making it to round 2 than Midnight Run did.

Gregory's Girl - Local Hero is Forsyth's best film but this is still a fine nom.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 18/10/2012 11:56:23 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 12:01:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

It's going to win, isn't it?

Quite possibly.

quote:

Galaxy Quest - It's the only Tim Allen film I can truly stomach. It's a good film and I reckon it deserves to go to round 2 at the very least.

I really hope you're more impressed by the ones you haven't seen. Like I say, Galaxy Quest is ok, and I'm expecting it to be second round because Gimli and MA are both big fans. But out of those I've seen/remember, it's the weakest in the HoF by a considerable distance.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 8
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 1:55:36 PM   
MovieAddict247

Galaxy Quest - I'm a big fan.

Gregory's Girl - I tossed a coin between this and Local Hero. It's gorgeous, sweet and lovely (and I'll try and get a blurb in soon).

The King of Comedy - brilliant film.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Matty, you whore! Amazing film though - hope it goes far (I'd be pleased if it won actually, I love it).

The Royal Tenenbaums - lovely.

Looking forward to the rest!

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:08:24 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Matty, you whore! Amazing film though - hope it goes far (I'd be pleased if it won actually, I love it).

What? Fuck off!

Honestly, can't nominate anything these days...

quote:

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 10
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:14:08 PM   
rawlinson

I wouldn't have it down as a whoring nom either, the only that really comes close this round, I think, is King of Comedy. Even then it's a bit of a stretch.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:15:46 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm willing to grant sexual favours to those who put Control as their no. 1 vote.

I have a very bendy tongue.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 12
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:28:38 PM   
rawlinson

For All Mankind appears to be on Youtube in several parts. I'd suggest you all watch it there, and as soon as you possibly can. Otherwise you have to buy it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 13
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:37:24 PM   
paul_ie86

Control - Only seen it once but I liked it then.
For All Mankind - Not seen
Galaxy Quest - It's alright.
Gregory's Girl - Not seen
The Hustler - Not seen.
King of Comedy - Unless I vote tactically this will get my top spot.
Machuca - This one is new to me
Odd Man Out - Not seen.
Picnic at Hanging Rock - Not seen.
Royal Tenenbaums - Vote for it. It's on Sunday night/Monday morning on Sky Comedy at 1:30 if you want to record it.
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - I think I've seen it, but I'm not sure.
Shadow of a Doubt - Not seen
War of the Buttons - Gimli will probably vote this bottom.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:40:31 PM   
paul_ie86

Part 5 of the English subtitles version of Machuca seems to have been taken down.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 15
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:40:50 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - I think I've seen it, but I'm not sure.

Arctic Monkeys really like it. So you should vote for it.

quote:

?

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 16
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:43:20 PM   
paul_ie86

Odd Man Out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gBFaRPNJo

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 17
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:44:19 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

?

It's a film about children.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:50:02 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

What? Fuck off!

Honestly, can't nominate anything these days...

For All Mankind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzdxdZf07A

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 19
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 2:50:31 PM   
paul_ie86

For All Mankind: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSSh2CaUsL7NHXqdS9cPih9w-rhlM6WrX&feature=mh_lolz

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 20
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 3:23:14 PM   
impqueen

Control-Okay, Morton is superb.
For All Mankind - A really great documentary.
Galaxy Quest- Is good fun with some nice performances.
Gregory’s Girl – Lovely.
The Hustler – Even my lack of interest concerning Newman can’t detract from what a brilliant film The Hustler is and yep fuck Colour of Money.
The King of Comedy – Personally I much prefer this Scorsese effort than his previously nominated film, same goes for his other early eighties work.
Machuca – I’m not quite Maggie but I wasn’t convinced by the film though I think it is decently made and well acted.
Picnic – Stunning film, excellent selection.
Tenenbaums – Slipped down my Anderson list during the last decade but as a fan of all his work, it remains a wonderfully entertaining film and Hackman is immense.
SNSM – I’ve not seen this is yonks, looking forward to another viewing.
Shadow – Cotten is superb and it is a Hitch film that I think improves on subsequent viewings.
Buttons – Sorry Reb but I’m not a fan.

Yes, always.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 21
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 3:34:32 PM   
elab49

I need my head looked at - I thought the date was tonight not last night, genuinely. 

Curiously I've just recommended Buttons to Swords as there's a new French version out just now. I was thinking of it back when I saw Day of the Flowers, Roberts' new film.

Apart from that there are 3 films (incl mine) in my top 100 in this list and two that would have fair shots.

Control - I liked but unlikely enough to make my top 6
For All Mankind - possibly my wild card, I've a soft spot for this and I liked it a lot. #
Galaxy Quest - extremely fond of
Gregory's Girl - multiple superlatives
Hustler - great film
King of Comedy - amazing. Someone's actually nominated a Scorsese I rate
Machuca - thought it was pretty good
Odd Man Out - one of those that was a real contender for my 100
Picnic at Hanging Rock - this is frakkin' cheating
Royal Tenebaums - loathsome irritating rubbish
SNSM - I wondered if this was your choice. One of the core choices I made for my British film part of the course and a great piece of filmmaking and, as important, such a great performance
Shadow of a Doubt - the bees knees
War of the Buttons - unexpectedly subversive. I have a lot of time for the film .

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 22
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 3:48:33 PM   
rawlinson

I've just realised that the only scene that really made me laugh in Galaxy Quest is actually from Dude, Where's My Car?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 3:59:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I need my head looked at - I thought the date was tonight not last night, genuinely. 

Curiously I've just recommended Buttons to Swords as there's a new French version out just now. I was thinking of it back when I saw Day of the Flowers, Roberts' new film.

Apart from that there are 3 films (incl mine) in my top 100 in this list and two that would have fair shots.

Control - I liked but unlikely enough to make my top 6
For All Mankind - possibly my wild card, I've a soft spot for this and I liked it a lot. #
Galaxy Quest - extremely fond of
Gregory's Girl - multiple superlatives
Hustler - great film
King of Comedy - amazing. Someone's actually nominated a Scorsese I rate
Machuca - thought it was pretty good
Odd Man Out - one of those that was a real contender for my 100
Picnic at Hanging Rock - this is frakkin' cheating
Royal Tenebaums - loathsome irritating rubbish
SNSM - I wondered if this was your choice. One of the core choices I made for my British film part of the course and a great piece of filmmaking and, as important, such a great performance
Shadow of a Doubt - the bees knees
War of the Buttons - unexpectedly subversive. I have a lot of time for the film .

Can we have a poll please, elab?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 24
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 4:00:46 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've seen very few of these.

Galaxy Quest - It's alright, the love for it astounds me though. Three Amigos is miles better.

Gregory's Girl - I remember very little of this apart from the fact I enjoyed it

Hustler - Amazing, Newman is better in Hud but it's still a remarkable performance

King of Comedy - A great film but an excruciating watch

Royal Tenebaums - My 3rd favourite Anderson film after Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 4:08:25 PM   
Rebel scum

I've...um...only seen my nom .

Looking forward to the rest though, Shadow of a Doubt's in my Hitch box set and King of Comedy's been recorded, so I'll get round to those first.

Oh, The Hustler and Picnic at Hanging Rock are on Lovefilm streaming, for those who have it.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 18/10/2012 4:12:35 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 4:13:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Part 5 of the English subtitles version of Machuca seems to have been taken down.

Only just noticed this. It is on Lovefilm as well. Originally we thought it was Youtube only, but I double-checked before letting the nom go ahead.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 27
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 4:18:35 PM   
Deviation

Control - Like it a lot.
For All Mankind - I've always wanted to see this. Now's my chance.
Galaxy Quest - I really, really like this film
Gregory's Girl - Not seen.
The Hustler - Not seen.
King of Comedy - Out of Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and KoC, this is my favorite. One of my favorite films ever.
Machuca - impqueen is Margeret Thatcher.
Odd Man Out - Not seen.
Picnic at Hanging Rock - Great film.
Royal Tenenbaums - Love this one too.
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - Never seen it. I don't think I'll vote for it.
Shadow of a Doubt - Never seen it. Should prepare for Stoker though.
War of the Buttons - Bizarrely, I did actually see this and it was a blind rent when my rental told me I should watch this. It was lovely.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 8:27:15 PM   
nomimalone

Great bunch of nominatiions. Funnily enough my Blu-ray of Odd Man Out arrived today. It's my pick of the bunch here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 29
RE: Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 - 18/10/2012 9:14:17 PM   
rawlinson

Matty, your inbox is full.

Dev', why do you think you won't vote for Saturday Night?

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> Hall of Fame 16: Round 01 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI