FESTIVALS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> FESTIVALS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FESTIVALS - 16/10/2012 3:13:18 PM   
Macavity

What's everyone's experiences with various festivals? My films have managed to screen at a few but not a lot.

The money being asked for organisers to even watch your short (regardless of length) can be quite ridiculous.

Festivals being run by actual filmmakers seem to be more open-minded but I get the impression it can be quite a cliquey affair.

quote:

The crushing majority of film festivals are not in fact the least bit interested in “helping” filmmakers: they have agendas that they do not disclose and that in any case change from year to year.
Their imperative is to attract as many submissions as possible, because submitting a film to film festivals requires the payment of quite a substantial fee.
In return for your money they will watch your film and decide whether to include it in the festival, but I have the unshakable and well-founded suspicion that not all submissions are actually watched by film festivals. They do not, however, ever fail to collect the submission fee, which they do with great alacrity.
Film festival officials would pretend to take umbrage at my assertion, but there is simply no way of being sure that they actually watched your film from beginning to end – they can simply claim that they did, and you have no way to prove otherwise. It is the perfect crime for them. I cannot imagine anyone with a shred of life experience really believing a word these guys say.
If you think that film festivals are pro bono organizations that want to nurture filmmakers, you are naïve and you fit the perfect profile of the needy, compliant filmmaker who is easily seduced into parting with hard-earned money in return for a glimpse of promised opportunities.

http://www.lavideofilmmaker.com/business/the-true-motivations-of-those-who-can-make-a-difference-to-your-directing-career.html#festivals
Post #: 1
RE: FESTIVALS - 22/11/2012 3:35:30 PM   
Vadersville

I've just finsihed two shorts I'm looking to push around the festival circuit myself and am a bit unsure of how best to proceed. There are so many out there that just seem to be a way for the organiser to get money for nothing.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 2
RE: FESTIVALS - 28/6/2013 12:30:48 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I've just finsihed two shorts I'm looking to push around the festival circuit myself and am a bit unsure of how best to proceed. There are so many out there that just seem to be a way for the organiser to get money for nothing.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> FESTIVALS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI