Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hotel Transylvania - 12/10/2012 5:37:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
SPOILER: Adam Sandler does a rap in this. - 12/10/2012 5:37:41 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

It's sort of like a Tim Burton pastiche, made by a team who've only heard of Tim Burton from other people. But I can't hate it; the animation is smooth, the humour is broad, and Hotel Transylvania accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. Although, with such a dearth of ambition, you'd be amazed if it didn't.
Acquitted by its own low standards.

< Message edited by TheMightyBlackout -- 12/10/2012 5:38:31 PM >

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: SPOILER: Adam Sandler does a rap in this. - 18/10/2012 7:26:55 AM   
Phubbs

Hotel Transylvania

This year is really a good year for spooky Addams Family style halloween goth freaks like myself hehe. So far we've had 'ParaNorman' 'Frankenweenie' and now this Adam Sandler animated vehicle. Yes that's right...Adam 'I'm not funny anymore' Sandler.

After about 10mins into this film you can tell its clearly been made for kids. Nothing wrong with that of course but this isn't 'Toy Story' smart with little winks for the older folk, its way more tuned for the younglings. This is very evident with silly jokes, huge prat falls and a very loud in your face approach much like many kiddie cartoons, dare I say childish to the max.

Yes childish but did I expect more? well maybe yes, an Adam Sandler fronted film, I did think it might be a little more risky in places or even a tad scary judging by the concept. The best thing about the film in many sequences is the dialog from the brilliant voice cast line up. This is where adults will enjoy especially with the dry wit of Spade and Buscemi who give 'Werewolf' and 'The Invisible Man' some cracking moments of speech. Naturally Kevin James is in here too, can't have an Adam Sandler film without his tubby sidekick it seems. There was a time when it was Rob Schneider, not anymore.

The animation was 50/50 for me to be honest, at times some sequences and character movements looked fantastic. The flashback sequences for 'Dracula' were especially lovely with stunning colours, where as the best animated motion capture again was easily 'Dracula'. Some gorgeous looking work as we see 'Drac' glide across the hallways, flap and twirl is cape, slink amongst the shadows and sail through the air...its all in the cape work.
Other characters are well designed too, I like the blue collar look of 'Werewolf', the obvious simplicity of 'The Invisible Man', the gigantic foot of I presume 'Yeti' and 'Mummy' who looked a lot like 'Oogie Boogie' from 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

There are an impressive range of monsters shown throughout the film from standard skeletons to a 'Pumpkin King' like character. The main guys are the best looking where as the rest don't seem quite as well crafted.

I must just add, is it wrong that I found the young female character of 'Mavis', 'Drac's' daughter, kinda hot?. I mean look at it from my point of view, I'm into the whole goth look and vibe. So for me the sight of an attractive slim pale female with black lips, dark eye shadow, black fingernails and raven black hair wearing a surprisingly sexy tight black number complete with arm stockings was really quite sexy haha. It was like watching a young animated Winona Ryder! rawr!!.

But I digress, the film is a simple love tale between 'Mavis' and a random human lad who turns up at the hotel, nothing more. Its very sweet, very charming and will thrill the kids. I did enjoy it mainly for the monster mash aspect and of course the kooky vampire/haunted mansion side of it (if you haven't already guessed).

The animation was a slight let down for me as I did expect something a bit more original, quirky or diverse from director Geddy Tartakovsky. It all looks good but too generic for me, nothing trailblazing like his 'Star Wars' work. Also was hoping for something a little more adult orientated in places with the monsters but alas. Jokes are a bit forced, hated the pop songs included and the horrendous ending almost ruins the entire film Jesus! but it still just about made me smile.

Not as unique, amusing or moving as 'ParaNorman', so far that is the front runner for fun halloween flicks. Watch out for Geddy's unique and much better hand drawn animation in the end credits, maybe they should have done the whole film this way?.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 3
RE: SPOILER: Adam Sandler does a rap in this. - 20/10/2012 8:57:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

Dracula is the owner and creator of Hotel Transylvania, a five-star resort where the worldís monsters can be safe from human civilization. Dracula invites some of the worldís most famous monsters like to celebrate the 118th birthday of his daughter Mavis. However, Mavis prefers to explore the outside world, and gets her fatherís permission to do so, but the village he directs her to is actually an elaborate deception to convince her of the threat of humans enough to coax her back. However, this charade inadvertently attracts the attention of an ordinary young traveller named Jonathan, who was exploring the surrounding forest, and he follows the staff to the hotel. Once Jonathan enters the hotel, Dracula has to hide him from the patrons, something which is very difficult when Jonathan and Mavis strike up a friendshipÖ..

Coming soon after the wonderful Paranorman and the straight-to-DVD Daddy Iím A Zombie [and there have been others too] is another animated movie for Halloween, and Hotel Transylvania sounds like a blast, but is actually a considerable disappointment and is nowhere near the quality of those two efforts, nor, I suspect, the upcoming Frankenweenie. Itís passable but unmemorable and smacks of missed potential. It will keep the kids occupied and adults wonít find it too painful, but it will probably be almost entirely forgotten a few days later. It is a considerable improvement on the last animated movie that Adam Sandler was involved with, the atrocious Eight Crazy Nights, but is a disappointment considering itís directed by the creator of great animated shows like Samurai Jack and is one of Sony Pictures Animationís weakest efforts. Then again, this project did go through five directors before Genndy Tartakovsky took the reigns

The central idea, of course, is that the monsters are afraid of humans, not the other way round. Dracula in this movie doesnít even drink proper blood. Itís a good idea, even if itís borrowed from Monsters Inc, and for about ten minutes Hotel Transylvania is great fun as it introduces its main setting and major characters amidst a non-stop flow of gags in the tried and tested Dreamworks manner. Proof, as if it was needed, that 3D is just one big moneymaking con, is in some great though almost dizzying scenes where we seem to move around the castle. Viewed in 2D, the sequences are immersive enough and would not really be improved by being in 3D, though saying that, some of the action scenes are a bit of a blurry mess. Nonetheless, the movie is fun at first but begins to outstay its welcome. The plot is the same old stuff about a girl on the verge of adulthood who wants her independence but is saddled with an over-protective father. There is no attempt at horror; yes, I know the film is aimed at kids but with its subject matter and such a huge cast of monsters it would have been good to have some element of fear in it. Paranorman managed it. That film also had some great ideas and Hotel Transylvania does have a few of its own, like the monsters arriving at a village where lots of people are dressed up as monsters for a festival, but fails to do much with them.

So itís basically just lots of jokes with a bit of a schmaltzy background, and I would be lying if I said I didnít find things like ďgreat to see youĒ being said to the Invisible Man, or Jonathan pretending heís related to Frankensteinís [yes, the movie is another that wrongfully calls the Frankenstein Monster Frankenstein] left arm. Thatís all there really is to the film though, and though I personally have nothing against that kind of humour, for a kidís movie too many of the gags are lavatorial, crude and even sexual, so much so that Iím not sure that the ĎUí certificate is appropriate. A sponge sucking up urine might be funny, and you might even chuckle at the sight of Dracula rapping, but the filmís script just stays on that level. The filmís message of tolerance is a worthwhile one and its central romance has a certain sweetness, but itís not given enough time in the rush for the next weak laugh. It doesnít help that the design is bland throughout and the look of the monsters unappealing, though horror fans will have fun spotting various creatures or variations on thereof, which include some surprises. By the end, though I didnít think I was enjoying the film that much, I was right behind Dracula when he set out on one of those final dashes to save the way, proof that the movie was working in some way.

Adam Sandlerís mock-Transylvanian accent gets more and more tiresome as the film goes on, while unsurprisingly youíll probably notice voice work from some of his talentless pals like Kevin James and Adam Samberg. The songs in this film are dire, the sort of garbage that dominates the pop music charts these days, though that might just be my age! Overall though Hotel Transylvania tries so hard to be Ďwith ití and Ďdown with the kidsí that it ends up being a bit patronising, though dare I say it most of the children at the showing I was at did seem to enjoy it. Some even laughed. The filmís commercial success, which undoubtedly owes a lot to saturation marketing, is a little depressing but I suppose there are worse films kids can watch. I didnít regret seeing Hotel Transylvania, but I doubt Iíll want to see it againÖ.at least for a while.

Rating: 5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 4
It's Simply A Good Movie. - 23/10/2012 1:29:21 AM   
FlowWhonor

Well, you can see the movie has been explained in all the comments/reviews. Since it's wise hearing what others have to say, so be it. Someone said it's full of auto-tuned songs (with distaste). Um, last time I checked, this is a MOVIE, and not on panel for musicianship Nobels. Auto-tune is fun, uplifting, positive, energetic, all of which IS substantial. Makes many people feel good. And while the movie IS kid-oriented, it seems some reviews have an issue with that. Huh! Kids are the most valuable things on this planet and pleasing them is SO WORTH THE TIME. ToyStory ? Shrek ? Ect ? Most movies do great at box office because of popular culture, nothing more. There is ALWAYS a twist and bending of meaning(s) to please ones own agenda, ones own pride and prejudice. Hotel was a good movie generally and oherwise speaking. Yes, A. Sandler has never been funny, for me, but Selena, Cee Lo, Kevin and Andy did good.

Post #: 5
Van Helsing's descendant? - 30/1/2013 10:23:09 AM   
Enzino

Were we watching the same film? Where does it come in that Jonathan is Van Helsing's descendant? I really enjoyed this, felt it was quirky and clever with lots of heart.

Post #: 6
Deserves better rating! - 7/2/2013 2:01:28 PM   
Magicbigp

How can empire give the god awful boring mess of rise of the guardians 4 and this a 2 baffles the mind ?
This was so much more fun , yes the gags are a little juvenile , but it is a kids film , excellent animation and fun from start to finish , my daughter and I really enjoyed it .
Ignore empires review and check it out !

Post #: 7
Brilliant - 14/3/2013 1:07:59 AM   
Lord Jason

Just saying, my kids are geniuses, right? (Aren't they all?) They find this film - repeatedly - hilarious. Cracks them up like few others.

Why does everyone bow down in front of Pixar because they make some so-so moving sequence in Up?

Post #: 8
Empire wrong here - 19/9/2014 4:13:39 PM   
rossjmacmillan

Ok the over-protectiveness story is a bit like finding Nemo but it has plenty of heart and is full of good characters and horror jokes, particularly the 'sight' gags of the invisible man and steve buscemi's werewolf. Both my kids age 5 and 2 love it and I thoroughly enjoy watching it with them...and dancing to the music!

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Hotel Transylvania Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI