Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Movies that affect reality

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Movies that affect reality Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movies that affect reality - 11/10/2012 6:18:48 PM   
mclane1

yo,

watching a documentary on sharks the other night (i know sharks again, im obsessed) and it was talking about how much sharks have been affected by Jaws. and actually not that negitively, after some initial hillbillies took to hunting them.

the protection of sharks is now much greater, more and more people are into marine biology, shark diving is a huge tourist business. There is clear evidence this was down to Jaws.

what other movies have had a big impact on our world?

I know there was legend that affair rates went down after fatal attraction?? any other interesting ones?

< Message edited by mclane1 -- 11/10/2012 6:19:24 PM >

If the cash is there, we do not care.
Post #: 1
RE: Movies that affect reality - 11/10/2012 6:50:06 PM   
DancingClown

Apparently after The Exorcist came out the Catholic church in America was inundated with claims of possession, and even the priests who featured in the film were bombarded with requests for them to exorcise people's houses and pets and so forth. I don't know if that effect has endured in the long-run but at the time it was phenomenal.

But, ya know....Americans.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 2
RE: Movies that affect reality - 11/10/2012 8:05:37 PM   
Judge

I like how sales of Merlot took a hit after Miles slagged it off in Sideways

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 3
RE: Movies that affect reality - 11/10/2012 8:20:23 PM   
adambatman82

The charity Shelter was borne of the ashes of Ken Loach's Cathy Come Home, which is pretty impressive.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 4
RE: Movies that affect reality - 11/10/2012 10:04:11 PM   
Biggus

Jaws was the first film which came to mind when I saw the thread title. I think if you saw that film in your youth then paddling in the sea is a very perilous business.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 1:07:28 AM   
kumar

The Day After Tomorrow saw everybody immediately stop using fossil fuels and revert to renewable energy sources...

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 6
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 1:21:18 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

John Hinckley Jr.'s assassination attempt on Ronald Regan after watching Taxi Driver. He claimed he did it to impress Jodie Foster after watching the film 15 times.

The Thin Blue Line successfully got a man off death row for a crime he didn't commit.

And whether McDonald's would like to admit it or not, Super Size Me made them discontinue their Super Size menu offer.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 7
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 12:10:06 PM   
grucl

After JFK came out the US changed some of their laws regarding de-classification of documents.

Liz Taylor's look in Cleopatra defined the way women applied their make-up (for one summer at least).

The making of Schindler's List led to the foundation of the Shoah Foundation which records accounts of the Holocaust.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 8
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 1:42:51 PM   
great_badir

The Taking of Pelham 123 (ORIGINAL) exposed a number of security flaws in New York's subway system, operations and trains which the authorities (who originally wanted nothing to do with the making of the film) were quick to resolve prior to the film's release. Also, according to Wiki, dispatchers have since tried to avoid scheduling Pelham Bay trains for 1:23.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 9
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 4:56:59 PM   
chris kilby

No Mafia don was ever called "Godfather" prior to the book and movie (which Mafia-types - including Sinatra - were totally opposed to before it became a hit and they embraced/emulated it. See: The Sopranos.)

Self-mythologising gangster-types have a long tradition of copying their cinematic counterparts - The Kray twins for instance.

Film has also long influenced fashion. Vest sales in America plummeted apparently when Clark Gable removed his shirt in It Happened One Night to reveal * GASP! * he wasn't wearing one. Faye Dunaway's look in Bonnie and Clyde, and Diane Keaton's look in Annie Hall were widely-imitated in the seventies. And sales of Aviator shades really, er, took off after Top Gun.

But Star Wars has gotta be the biggest influence of all culturally. ILM didn't just revolutionise special effects. Photoshop was co-invented by ILM-er John Knoll. The AVID editing system started life as ILM's EditDroid. And Pixar started out as Lucas Digital (I think) before The Great Beard sold it to Steve Jobs. And, of course, ILM created the CG revolution without which there would have been no T2, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Titanic, Avatar, etc, etc, etc. So Star Wars has actually changed the world. It also made orchestral scores fashionable again. And arguably saved Hollywood from terminal decline. Oh, and no Star Wars, no Alien, no Blade Runner, no sci-fi boom and therefore no Star Trek and Doctor Who revivals either, so there!

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 12/10/2012 4:58:02 PM >

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 10
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 5:06:30 PM   
AxlReznor

Apparently, scientists have stated plans to create a "mini-universe" to see if what happens in there relates to our own universe... as a way of telling whether or not we live in the Matrix. I'm actually being serious.

Now, if we do live in the Matrix, I'm pretty sure the Architect would have put some safeguards up to make sure that only "the One" is capable of finding out... but there we go. I'm a big lover of science, but sometimes I think they just make up shit to do.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 11
RE: Movies that affect reality - 12/10/2012 6:09:58 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

But Star Wars has gotta be the biggest influence of all culturally. ILM didn't just revolutionise special effects. Photoshop was co-invented by ILM-er John Knoll. The AVID editing system started life as ILM's EditDroid. And Pixar started out as Lucas Digital (I think) before The Great Beard sold it to Steve Jobs. And, of course, ILM created the CG revolution without which there would have been no T2, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, Titanic, Avatar, etc, etc, etc. So Star Wars has actually changed the world. It also made orchestral scores fashionable again. And arguably saved Hollywood from terminal decline. Oh, and no Star Wars, no Alien, no Blade Runner, no sci-fi boom and therefore no Star Trek and Doctor Who revivals either, so there!

i agree thats had a massive affect on movie making but that wasnt from the characters or story of the movie itself. I think its fair to say though a new generation got excited about Space and exploration after starwars and lunch boxes became the in thing :)

If the cash is there, we do not care.

Post #: 12
RE: Movies that affect reality - 15/10/2012 10:53:56 PM   
chris kilby

The guy who invented "Asimo" (the first humanoid robot that can handle stairs, which apparently is to robotics what fire and water was to CGI) has said he was inspired to do so by C-3PO.

Ken Loach's first film, Cathy Come Home, led to the creation of the homeless charity, Shelter, like the day after it was broadcast on telly or something.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 13
RE: Movies that affect reality - 16/10/2012 2:49:38 PM   
AngryDude92

Apparently the Kieslowski film "A short film about killing" was a key reason for the changing of the death penalty laws in Poland.

Also one of the biggies is "Birth of a nation" being responsible for the revival ofthe KKK.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

Post #: 14
RE: Movies that affect reality - 16/10/2012 2:53:01 PM   
horribleives

Drive has inspired the fashion choices of several cunts in Newcastle.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 15
RE: Movies that affect reality - 16/10/2012 8:42:14 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Is it the quilted jacket by any chance? Seem to have seen them in a lot of shop windows...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 16
RE: Movies that affect reality - 16/10/2012 8:54:57 PM   
TheSpleen

The Matrix seemed to inspire social outcasts with fat wallets to dress in black with expensive long jackets and shades looking over all the 'slaves' to the machines.

Oh and Football Factory inspired bell ends outside night clubs to have the ever twattish line 'You muggin' me off?'

I also met a lovely Man who had clearly adopted a lifestyle and dress code on The Big Lebowski.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 17
RE: Movies that affect reality - 16/10/2012 11:47:48 PM   
Brooksy84

Fight Club led to a whole generation of men desperately wanting to own a red leather jacket, despite knowing deep down that unless you look like Brad Pitt it would probably look shit on you.

I still want one now.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 18
RE: Movies that affect reality - 17/10/2012 12:05:46 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

Is it the quilted jacket by any chance? Seem to have seen them in a lot of shop windows...

I thought it was Alan Partridge who inspired that - ah-ha!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 19
RE: Movies that affect reality - 17/10/2012 12:11:41 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

The Matrix seemed to inspire social outcasts with fat wallets to dress in black with expensive long jackets and shades looking over all the 'slaves' to the machines.

Did you ever see that Matrix DVD extra, The True Believers, about the bellends who call themselves things like "Lucid Dream" and calmly insist in the dullest way possible that The Matrix was in fact a documentary? Aye, and so wis The fuckin' X Files!

quote:

Oh and Football Factory inspired bell ends outside night clubs to have the ever twattish line 'You muggin' me off?'

Wouldn't they be doing that (or something like it) anyway?

quote:

I also met a lovely Man who had clearly adopted a lifestyle and dress code on The Big Lebowski.

Have we met...?

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 20
RE: Movies that affect reality - 17/10/2012 6:25:28 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

If that's the one with the scorpion on the back then aye.
One of these wankers even had driving gloves on too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 21
RE: Movies that affect reality - 17/10/2012 7:42:20 AM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

Did you ever see that Matrix DVD extra, The True Believers, about the bellends who call themselves things like "Lucid Dream" and calmly insist in the dullest way possible that The Matrix was in fact a documentary? Aye, and so wis The fuckin' X Files!

quote:

Wouldn't they be doing that (or something like it) anyway?

quote:

Have we met...?

Ha I haven't seen the doc but will seek it out as I have met those exact type of bell ends who believe in The Matrix.

Post #: 22
RE: Movies that affect reality - 17/10/2012 3:57:33 PM   
Discodez

I know that Dutch Cannabis producers have created strains called G14, after Spacey's favoured weed in American Beauty, and Pineapple Express after the movie of the same name.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 23
RE: Movies that affect reality - 18/10/2012 2:00:27 PM   
IPFreely

I can't arm-wrestle/ handshake my brother without us both showing our biceps and going "Jonny (brothers name) you son of a bitch"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Movies that affect reality Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI