Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 11/10/2012 2:51:10 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

I absolutely LOVE children's literature. I still read it, i'll never get to old for the worlds of Lions, abandoned children, dragons, teddy bears, hobbits and witches with button eyes.

Here's My personal top 14 children's books of all time:

14. Jules Verne - Around the World in 80 Days

13. Astrid Lindgren - Brothers Lionheart

12. Roald Dahl - Matilda

11. Lene Kaaberbøl - Serpent's Gift (The Shamer Chronicles #3)

10. Roald Dahl - The Witches

9. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #1)

8. J. R. R. Tolkien - The Hobbit

7. Lena Anderson & Christina Björk - Linnea in Monet's Garden

6. Jostein Gaarder - Sophie's World

5. Astrid Lindgren - Pippi Longstocking

4. Neil Gaiman - Coraline

3. A. A. Milne - Winnie the Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner

2. J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Number 1 is coming up ;)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.
Post #: 1
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 6:07:17 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Hobbit is one of my favourite books, I love it. Matilda and The Witches are two of Roald Dahl's very best (George's Marvellous Medicine is probably my favourite), Phoenix is a great book until the Ministry battle, it seems to go one for ever. I'd have it 4th in the list of Potter books. Winnie the Pooh is just lovely.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 2
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:23:43 AM   
Rebel scum

I really enjoyed Around the World in 80 Days

Both Dahl books are wonderful, but if pressed for a favourite it's a toss-up between James and the Giant Peach and The BFG

Narnia is hit and miss, but TLTWATW is my second-favourite (Dawn Treader is my fave)

The Hobbit is amazing

So is Coraline

Winnie the Pooh is always a pleasure to read

Why've you picked the worst Potter book? Harry spends half the book talking in BLOCK CAPITALS, the middle section is horrendously bloated and by the time I'd got to the big climactic battle I didn't give a shit anymore. On the other hand, Umbridge and Luna both make it worth persevering through.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 3
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:43:58 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I really enjoyed Around the World in 80 Days

Both Dahl books are wonderful, but if pressed for a favourite it's a toss-up between James and the Giant Peach and The BFG

Narnia is hit and miss, but TLTWATW is my second-favourite (Dawn Treader is my fave)

The Hobbit is amazing

So is Coraline

Winnie the Pooh is always a pleasure to read

Why've you picked the worst Potter book? Harry spends half the book talking in BLOCK CAPITALS, the middle section is horrendously bloated and by the time I'd got to the big climactic battle I didn't give a shit anymore. On the other hand, Umbridge and Luna both make it worth persevering through.

I picked Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix because of the Development of Harry and his world around him in this book.. It's in this book he grows up to become a young adult instead of a child. I know it's a bit to long and sometimes some of it seems unnecessary, but still it's the most important of them all (except from deathly Hallows, wich i liked, but still the ending, i mean the very ending was kinda bad, however understandable from J. K. Rowling's point of view).

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 4
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:49:40 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

And finally number 1:

1. Lewis Carrol - Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass

Post #: 5
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:52:07 AM   
Rebel scum

I can see where you're coming from in terms of it developing Harry, but my issue is that it decides to do that by making him SPEAK LIKE THIS for most of the book. In terms of his becoming a young adult, I'd argue that starts to happen during book 4, since then he starts noticing girls (The Yule Ball) and experiences death (Cedric). The transition was handled much better in that book.

As far as developing the world around him, I think you learn more about it with every book. Stone introduces the world; Chamber hints at the Ministry and Azkaban, providing a wider scope; Azkaban fills us in more on those two; Goblet shows us the Quidditch World Cup and introduces the concept of international wizardry; Phoenix takes us inside the Ministry and St. Mungos; and the other two look at the interaction of wizards and Muggles since Voldemort gets bolder.

I'd argue that Stone, Goblet and Hallows are the two most important regarding the things you mentioned, but I also think that Phoenix is a great 400-page book stuck in an 800-page one.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 6
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:53:27 AM   
Rebel scum

Alice in Wonderland's a great pick for #1 though

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 7
RE: Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time - 12/10/2012 8:58:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It's been so long since I read Alice In Wonderland, but I remember liking it an awful lot.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Anne Sofie's top 14 children's books of all time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI