Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Recommend me a blu-ray player

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Recommend me a blu-ray player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend me a blu-ray player - 8/10/2012 9:09:52 PM   
fuzzy

I know next to buggery about Blu-ray, still haven't made the jump from DVD but was thinking about taking the plunge this Christmas. I understand that Blu-ray is supposed to be region-free, but some studios have locked their discs so they only work in certain countries - is this true? Anywoo, I'm after a decent player that can play both UK and US discs... any recommendations? and what's the going rate, 200, 300+?
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend me a blu-ray player - 9/10/2012 1:28:20 PM   
great_badir

Unfortunately region coding still exists with blu ray (A, B and C - the UK is B), but a lot of films (both here and in the States) are being released as region free. A lot more than region free/0 DVDs.

As for multi region blu ray, this Amazon merchant has several at numerous prices - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=A3702CGFU06G2U

However, caveat emptor because these will almost certainly be chipped players, as there is currently no remote control hack for blu ray. The problem here is that any chipping will invalidate the manufacturer's warranty. If this merchant offers their own warranty (I haven't checked), then that's not really a problem, but if they don't and the player breaks, then you're buggered.

Most people I know who wanted multi region (which, for most people, means US and UK and nothing else) have got round this by having separate US (region A) and UK (B) players - not ideal, but no worries with warranty problems and, probably, cheaper than buying a chipped player. However, that option is no good if you want Asian releases as well.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Recommend me a blu-ray player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI