Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sinister - 7/10/2012 6:59:28 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Well Acted?? - 7/10/2012 6:59:28 PM   
btaylor25

Well acted?! Couldn't disagree more. The drama is forced and stunted by poor writing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Well Acted?? - 7/10/2012 9:57:37 PM   
simonmckergan1

I was looking forward to this, hoping it would have a few solid chills. Unfortunately I have had some bowel movements that were scarier that this film. Poor.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to btaylor25)
Post #: 3
Great film - 7/10/2012 11:57:54 PM   
tysmuse

It would almost work better without all the supernatural stuff. The plot of the true crime writer discovering those super creepy tapes is scary enough.

Post #: 4
I really really wanted to like this... - 9/10/2012 4:06:37 PM   
alsybroth

But I didn't. While the tapes are definitely disturbing, the moment everything is explained toward the end the fear factor vanishes, and the climax was sorely underwhelming.
A lot of this wan't helped by the fact the marketing gave away ALL the major scares and even the nature of Bagul itself. So every scare was expected.
Speaking of scares, the jump scenes were really cheap, forced and unnecessary. And a plot point involving the son sleep walking is brought up and instantly forgotten after the 2nd time.
There WERE some good moments, but all in all this was disappointing.

Post #: 5
IT'S A SIN...... - 12/10/2012 6:44:19 PM   
ROTGUT

Scariest movie ever???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
What’s really scary is how all the mainstream critics seem to have been taken in by a lazy director of a clichéd script which brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

A whole hour into this garbage and I was staring at my watch, hoping that it would all come to a swift end and of course by then you slowly start to realise there’s nothing in this film that hasn’t already been done before. And it’s a shame that the committed performances on screen do little more than paper over all the cracks in what is surely one of the most over rated, predictable and ludicrously plotted horror films of the year! Simply having your characters walking around a dark house and using the old jump scare technique just isn’t enough to string out a cock eyed premise which would seem hackneyed and out of date even if we hadn’t already seen over 10 years of “found footage” movies. And it’s difficult to care about people who go against all common logic, who willingly (and stupidly) place themselves and their families in wanton peril despite all the obvious warning signs.” Oh look – it’s the boogie man – err… honey…perhaps maybe we should start packing our bags about now……….........maybe???”
REC, THE ORPHANAGE, RINGU, TROLL HUNTER, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 1 – ANYONE OF THOSE FILMS IS BETTER THAN THIS.

Sinister 2? You betcha!!!! And that’s the only possible reason that this RUBBISH exists in the first place!!! My advice? Save your money and give Sinister a very wide berth!

ONE STAR…..

Post #: 6
IT'S A SIN...... - 12/10/2012 6:44:23 PM   
ROTGUT

Scariest movie ever???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
What’s really scary is how all the mainstream critics seem to have been taken in by a lazy director of a clichéd script which brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

A whole hour into this garbage and I was staring at my watch, hoping that it would all come to a swift end and of course by then you slowly start to realise there’s nothing in this film that hasn’t already been done before. And it’s a shame that the committed performances on screen do little more than paper over all the cracks in what is surely one of the most over rated, predictable and ludicrously plotted horror films of the year! Simply having your characters walking around a dark house and using the old jump scare technique just isn’t enough to string out a cock eyed premise which would seem hackneyed and out of date even if we hadn’t already seen over 10 years of “found footage” movies. And it’s difficult to care about people who go against all common logic, who willingly (and stupidly) place themselves and their families in wanton peril despite all the obvious warning signs.” Oh look – it’s the boogie man – err… honey…perhaps maybe we should start packing our bags about now……….........maybe???”
REC, THE ORPHANAGE, RINGU, TROLL HUNTER, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 1 – ANYONE OF THOSE FILMS IS BETTER THAN THIS.

Sinister 2? You betcha!!!! And that’s the only possible reason that this RUBBISH exists in the first place!!! My advice? Save your money and give Sinister a very wide berth!

ONE STAR…..

Post #: 7
RE: IT'S A SIN...... - 12/10/2012 8:33:41 PM   
Hood_Man

It's alright. Relies mostly on jump scares rather than genuine creepyness, and there really isn't any calling for more "Ghostly Kiddy" horror movies, but the story was interesting.

SPOILERS

Saying that, knowing nothing about this film when I went in, I enjoyed it a lot more when I thought it was going to be a crime thriller/horror rather than dealing with the supernatural. That opening shot was an incredibly way to start a film, and seemed like a really inventive way for a serial killer to carry out a crime.

But even 2005's Amityville Horror did it better (actually, not a bad horror film IMHO ).

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 8
Sleep inducing - 13/10/2012 9:40:30 AM   
sephiroth7

Tedious to begin with, shock-less throughout and a predictable ending. AVOID.

Post #: 9
Scares are key... - 13/10/2012 3:58:17 PM   
jackcarlin18

This film may be slightly repetitive but the scares is what keeps the film so well balanced; there effective and frequent and if it wasnt for the fresh scares this film provides it would be another plane old ghost film. Luckily its not.

Post #: 10
Scares are key... - 13/10/2012 3:58:21 PM   
jackcarlin18

This film may be slightly repetitive but the scares is what keeps the film so well balanced; there effective and frequent and if it wasnt for the fresh scares this film provides it would be another plane old ghost film. Luckily its not.

Post #: 11
RE: Scares are key... - 15/10/2012 9:39:24 AM   
filmfan90

Watched Sinister over the weekend and loved every minute of it. The audience was pretty busy and were jumping throughout. If you like horror films - especially now it's near Halloweeny - then I'd highly recommend this one. It's awesome!

5/5

(in reply to jackcarlin18)
Post #: 12
- 15/10/2012 2:40:42 PM   
chris wootton

It wasn't even remotely scary in any way, shape or form. The one star is purely for Ethan Hawke who is ok in it. And how the hell did Rylance get the role? She was bloody awful.

Post #: 13
Disturbing rather than scary - 16/10/2012 6:37:24 PM   
Nefruaten

It's been a while since I saw a really scary movie, and while I wasn't jumping out of my seat at every jolt the director pushed the audience's way, I was disturbed my the gruesome murders. I thought the story was great, Hawke's was very good and I loved the officer who tries to join forces with Hawke to solve the riddle. My only criticism was the pace of the film as it could've have been slightly shorter but I still thinks its a good movie.

Post #: 14
RE: Disturbing rather than scary - 17/10/2012 7:46:20 PM   
evil bill

Well this was a nice surprise a well made horror film,that is not only scary,but has performances that are believable and a story that is intriguing and moving.Why i was surprised by this is mainly because A;i did not see the trailer,B;i've read no reviews except the Dr's short one,C;idid not realize till the credits rolled at the end,who directed this great chiller.Well this is only the second film i've seen of  director Scott Derrickson,who is great at focusing on plot development to a point of obsession as he did with The Exorcism of Emily Rose.Sinister is as much of a drama about family as it is a horror movie,which again was the strong point of his last great film.He avoids once again drenching the screen in gore and blood,instead directing and editing with interesting angles,spooky imagery,and with some great jump out of your seat moments.

Ethan Hawke gives one of his best performances i've seen in a while,he really gives his all in scenes where he is frustrated and depressed,you can see and feel his pain. Juliet Rylance who plays his wife is also wonderful,gives a superb heartbreaking performance that comes close to equaling Ethans.With great performances from the two leads,it's a joyful surprise that the kids Ashley (Clare Foley) and Trevor (Michael Hall D'Addario) are up there with these two big guns. Michael Hall D'Addario provides one of the most shocking and terrifying scenes,that got me holding my breath,along with most others at this showing.

Derrickson understands though that using loud bands and noises to jolt the audience can be done effectively,if you back up these moments with his strong imagery,think Suspria Argento's classic.I also love the use of the 8mm films Ellison finds,these are where the more graphic sequences of murder take pride of place,with the use of a garden tool.Add to this the moody/chilling soundtrack by Christopher Young who's worked on The Exorcism of Emily Rose,and you get a superb chiller,that drags along in places but rewards you with one hell of a dark ending,though it may not be the end??.It's not the most scary film i've ever seen,but it's for now the one of best of this years horror fright films,that's above average in the inventive it is directed,by a director i will be keeping an eye on.7/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Nefruaten)
Post #: 15
RE: Disturbing rather than scary - 22/10/2012 12:32:03 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

It started well and did have a couple of creepy moments, however, halfway through, you could see the end coming a mile off and it just became another cliched ' lost tape ' movie after that.
Plus, the kids just spoilt it.
Nothing special.......move on please......

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: Disturbing rather than scary - 24/10/2012 12:53:22 AM   
Private Hudson

I thought it was pretty scary! It made me and the audience jump a few times that's for sure. Mind you I didn't have a clue what it was about and went in against my will!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 17
RE: Disturbing rather than scary - 31/10/2012 9:52:19 AM   
Jamesdawn

Watched this movie last month and i love this movie. This movie is very scary, but interesting movie. I love the story of this movie.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 18
I don't think I've seen a worse performance in a... - 20/11/2012 12:36:03 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

...mainstream movie. Juliet Rylance is astonishingly bad. It's a bit depressing to see an actor of Hawke's calibre in such a third rate film. Did he owe somebody a favour?

Post #: 19
- 25/11/2012 9:08:00 PM   
TheGodfather

Sinister
The story (man, a writer who writes book about old murdercases and investigates them, movies with his family to a creepy house) sound really cliché. And it is. On forehand I didn`t expect that I`d find this movie so creepy. So that`s a positive surprise. The atmosphere is very creepy, created by having the scary moments (of course) take place only in the dark, and that get`s amped up towards the end. The little details, the things that happen and you only see when you`re really paying close attention to them, are a treat and a cool addition.
Ethan Hawke plays his part of a dad going more crazy with the minute superbly. The ending might be somewhat predictable but that doesn`t do the film any harm.
All in all, a positive suprise this one, one that gave me and my girlfriend a nailbitingly creepy evening at the cinema.

8,0/10

Post #: 20
damn, wish I saw this at the cinema - 16/2/2013 6:55:12 PM   
Normal Control

it's good, and has enough in the locker to offer something new.

Post #: 21
- 22/2/2013 2:43:49 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Give yourself over to it and it's a fun, tension filled ride. The first half was most certainly stronger than the second and the ending was a bit of a let down, but it kept us on the edge of our seats pretty much throughout.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sinister Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI