Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 8:48:14 AM   
Rebel scum

Amelie is great
So is Mirror, though I prefer Ivan's Childhood of Tarkovsky's films
Spirited Away is great
LOTR is fantastic
Fantasia is in my top five Disney films
Mononoke I enjoyed, but not as much as several other Ghibli films (including Spirited Away)
Some Like It Hot is great fun
Mulholland Dr I found hard to love, but it's still a good movie
Eternal Sunshine is one of very few movie romances I love
The Artist I loved when I saw it, though I'm worried a rewatch might bring it down somewhat

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 31
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 8:51:10 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

Haha.. really, you know my number 1? :)

You mentioned it in the Today I Saw thread the other day.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

I fell in love with Marion Cotillard after watching Midnight in Paris, but the movie is just so great and woody's best one ever. The best tribute to a city iv'e ever seen :)

I think I fell for her when I saw Public Enemies. And what other Woody Allen films have you seen?

Anyway, I loved The Artist. It was just a really charming film, and a great love-letter to silent films as was Hugo.

Well okay then ;)

I've seen: Midnight in Paris, Match Point, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Annie Hall, Everyone says I love you, bullets over broadway..

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 32
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 8:54:14 AM   
siegfried

The Artist is a joy. One of those films which just leaves me feeling happy. A lovely choice.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 33
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 9:02:42 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

The Artist is a joy. One of those films which just leaves me feeling happy. A lovely choice.

Excactly ;)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 34
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 9:36:22 AM   
elab49

There seems to be a strong visual presence in many of your choices?

Phantom of the Opera - I like a lot
Orlando - I loathe
The Shining - never liked
Animal crackers - amusing
Donnie Darko - good watch
Ponyo - delightful
Cherbourg - ugh
Amelie - I'm on the 'like' side of the divide
The Mirror - not one of the Tarkovsky I rate
Spirited Away - wonderful
Roman Holiday - meh
LOTR - great
Fantasia - fantastic
Mononoke - I like, but isn't in my top 5 Ghibli
Some Like it Hot - magnificent stuff
Midnight in Paris - ick
Hours - can't stand Woolf and the film doesn't improve on that for me
Harold and Maude - brilliant
Mulholland Drive - not a massive fan
Eternal Sunshine - am a big fan
The Artist - it's OK but I find it a fairly rudimentary pastiche of the genre and gives a poor impression of how great silent films can be.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 35
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 10:10:02 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I thought you didn't like it? Who am I thinking of? It can't be just me

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 10:35:35 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Oh Gimli Why must you make it so hard to like you!

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 37
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 10:49:36 AM   
elab49

Not me I'm afraid.Is it possible because I didn't vote it top in the HoF you've assumed? If so I'd say it's more I loved the other films more rather than I didn't love this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 38
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 11:50:10 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

There seems to be a strong visual presence in many of your choices?

Phantom of the Opera - I like a lot
Orlando - I loathe
The Shining - never liked
Animal crackers - amusing
Donnie Darko - good watch
Ponyo - delightful
Cherbourg - ugh
Amelie - I'm on the 'like' side of the divide
The Mirror - not one of the Tarkovsky I rate
Spirited Away - wonderful
Roman Holiday - meh
LOTR - great
Fantasia - fantastic
Mononoke - I like, but isn't in my top 5 Ghibli
Some Like it Hot - magnificent stuff
Midnight in Paris - ick
Hours - can't stand Woolf and the film doesn't improve on that for me
Harold and Maude - brilliant
Mulholland Drive - not a massive fan
The Artist - it's OK but I find it a fairly rudimentary pastiche of the genre and gives a poor impression of how great silent films can be.

I can tell you don't like films with hearts  The Hours is not just about Woolf through that is the point.

The Artist is one of those rare feel good films which left me with a spring in my step.  Still think its a weak number one mind.

What I liked about MIP was that it was a return to the gentle romance of classic Allen which he had lost a sense of in his recent by trying to be too clever and knowing.

I would suggest AS that you see more classic Allen, such as Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, Love and Death and Zelig, because while I liked MIP he has done better.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 12:03:43 PM   
elab49

Or you've just picked out the films I don't like and you do?

I'm not sure how well I could convey my dislike for MiP tbh. Lady in the Water-esque, maybe? The reek of self-importance? Terrible stuff. And so many poor performances.  

quote:

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 40
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 12:08:20 PM   
rawlinson

Phantom is very good
Orlando is amazing
The Shining is one of my least favourite Kubrick films, mostly because of Nicholson hamming it up.
Animal Crackers is great
Donnie Darko is ok. Far better than anything the director has made since. But it's basically a film that wants to be Lynch but doesn't have Lynch's vision or balls.
Ponyo is lovely
Cherbourg - Wonderful
Amelie is all fluff and nothing more. I've gone from indifference to hatred over the last few years.
Mirror is one of the best films ever made
Spirited Away is as enchanting as all the Ghibli films
Roman Holiday - Love Hepburn in this film
LotR - Not as good as Evil Dead
Fantasia - Not as good as Allegro non Troppo
Mononoke - I put it as second tier Ghibli, but still great.
Some Like It Hot - One of the funniest films ever made
Midnight in Paris - A real return to form for Woody
The Hours - Appalling, Daldry has yet to make a decent film.
Harold and Maude - I love
Mulholland - Masterpiece
Eternal Sunshine - Another masterpiece
The Artist - Only Dujardin and the dog made it bearable. It's silent cinema created by someone who doesn't really seem to like silent cinema all that much.

Post #: 41
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 2:55:14 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

Yes i would very musch like to watch the "original" woody allen films, but oh so little time, and so many movies ;)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 8/10/2012 10:08:25 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Not me I'm afraid.Is it possible because I didn't vote it top in the HoF you've assumed? If so I'd say it's more I loved the other films more rather than I didn't love this.

Possible, but I could've sworn you'd stated explicitly you didn't like it. Someone on here did, I know that. It's going to drive me mad now!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 9/10/2012 12:49:02 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Or you've just picked out the films I don't like and you do?

I'm not sure how well I could convey my dislike for MiP tbh. Lady in the Water-esque, maybe? The reek of self-importance? Terrible stuff. And so many poor performances.  

Oh that is such a bogus claim there are lots of things you and me agree on that list.

Have to challenge you on MIP being as bad as something like LITW even if I didn't rate it (which I do) it would be tough to make a case for it being that bad.

The self-importance claim is a close call.  I think the film traids a fine line but overall gets away with due to the beauty of the visual, the cheeking humour and the charming ending to the film.  Poor performances is an idea I just don't see.  I have always loved Owen Wilson's dry wit and I think here is the perfect Woody subsitute.  The rest of the cast include McAdams, Cotillard, Sheen and Bates.  How is that a bad cast list?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 9/10/2012 1:36:18 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

quote:

See, Gimli - despite holding some awful, awful views on film (with some decent ones, I'll admit), despite the fact you aren't Eternal Sunshine's biggest fan, I can't help but like you. So, why, Gimli, why must you be so damn affable?

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 45
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 9/10/2012 5:29:19 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

quote:

See, Gimli - despite holding some awful, awful views on film (with some decent ones, I'll admit), despite the fact you aren't Eternal Sunshine's biggest fan, I can't help but like you. So, why, Gimli, why must you be so damn affable?

It's just his sneaky way of ensuring that he always wins the debate. After all, who's going to argue with someone who's just so doggone nice?

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 46
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 10/10/2012 10:56:36 PM   
Nexus Wookie

A really great list of films Anne Sofie! It's nice to see a fellow fan of Studio Ghibli films. I love them; there's something very innocent and timeless about them. My 4 year old boy is a big fan of Ponyo, Howl, Spirited Away and just recently I let him watch Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind and he loved it! Its great to see him having a varied taste in animated film's. Of course he loves his Ice Age's, Toy Story's and so on, but its important for him to know that theres a whole world of beautiful chidlrens film out there. Have you watched Nausicaa yourself? I think its just a stunning film and definitely up there as one of my favourite films. There's another film which may not be as popular as the others called The Cat Returns, nevertheless its a charming little film too, and my son is a fan.

And great to see Ponyo in your list aswell - that was the first Studio Ghibli film my son watched and still remains one of his favourite. Absolutely beautiful.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/10/2012 11:00:41 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 47
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 11/10/2012 2:03:46 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

A really great list of films Anne Sofie! It's nice to see a fellow fan of Studio Ghibli films. I love them; there's something very innocent and timeless about them. My 4 year old boy is a big fan of Ponyo, Howl, Spirited Away and just recently I let him watch Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind and he loved it! Its great to see him having a varied taste in animated film's. Of course he loves his Ice Age's, Toy Story's and so on, but its important for him to know that theres a whole world of beautiful chidlrens film out there. Have you watched Nausicaa yourself? I think its just a stunning film and definitely up there as one of my favourite films. There's another film which may not be as popular as the others called The Cat Returns, nevertheless its a charming little film too, and my son is a fan.

And great to see Ponyo in your list aswell - that was the first Studio Ghibli film my son watched and still remains one of his favourite. Absolutely beautiful.

Thank you :)

I love Studio Ghibli SO much, and yes i have seen Nausicaa, it was great, but not my favourite. I loved the world of Nausicaa, all of the creatures and plants and so on.

How amazing that your boy likes Nausicaa. That's pretty amazing for a 4 year old :)

I like the Cat returns, but i would definetly choose Nausicaa over Cat returns.. still a good movie, with qualities :)

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 48
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 11/10/2012 5:36:09 PM   
chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
Amelie is all fluff and nothing more. I've gone from indifference to hatred over the last few years.

This is an unpopular opinion yet one I completely agree with. Those random facts she gives about all the characters came across as more pretentious than quirky and the story wasn't anything new either. What it comes down to is that I could just be a cynical bastard who would rather watch a film about a character being a massive dickhead to people rather than be 'nice' to everyone. Although unlike a Scrooge-type story there was no character arc where she decided to be nice, she just did one good thing and decided to do it to everyone. "I like cracking creme brulee" - Piss off

Ghibli, Some Like it Hot, Eternal Sunshine and various other films on here more than compensate though
Really need to watch Midnight in Paris, it sounds great.

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 11/10/2012 5:37:18 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 12/10/2012 7:52:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

quote:

This is an unpopular opinion yet one I completely agree with. Those random facts she gives about all the characters came across as more pretentious than quirky and the story wasn't anything new either. What it comes down to is that I could just be a cynical bastard who would rather watch a film about a character being a massive dickhead to people rather than be 'nice' to everyone. Although unlike a Scrooge-type story there was no character arc where she decided to be nice, she just did one good thing and decided to do it to everyone. "I like cracking creme brulee" - Piss offGhibli, Some Like it Hot, Eternal Sunshine and various other films on here more than compensate though
Really need to watch Midnight in Paris, it sounds great.

But I don't think every lead character has to have an arc. Also part of the point of Amelie is that throughout the film she is looking out for others and therefore lives her life through them, so you see the world through her eyes, and the idea is that you want her to get together. Its a fable people I don't think characters in fables have to have that much depth.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 50
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:19:44 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Amelie is all fluff and nothing more. I've gone from boring to insufferably heartless over the last few years.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:33:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Amelie is all fluff and nothing more.

Sig quote.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 52
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:38:19 PM   
Rhubarb

Touché. Although in fairness, to suggest that Amélie isn't fluff would be a bit silly - but it does speak to me on a level beyond the frothiness of the surface, and I do find it quite moving by the end, and endlessly charming.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 53
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:47:59 PM   
rawlinson

I dread the day you nominate it for HoF. It's such an obvious winner.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 54
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:49:31 PM   
matty_b

If it's in my membership lifetime, it gets no votes from me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:54:53 PM   
Rhubarb

Its probably too divisive isn't it? I guess it'd depend on the group in that HOF, but I imagine there would be enough people like you who find it to twee for it to be a surefire winner. It is something I would consider nominating though, girls like sensitive guys who like stuff like Amelie, surely.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 2:58:08 PM   
rawlinson

I think the people who really dislike it are the minority though. I think it'd be a finalist for certain.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 57
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 3:04:31 PM   
Rhubarb

Stop trying to get me to come and do another hall of fame round

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 3:06:42 PM   
rawlinson

But you love it so much. Btw, when you going to put up the songs list?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 59
RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time - 13/10/2012 3:10:49 PM   
Rhubarb

Basically its just because my laptop is being repaired, so I haven't been able to talk to Paul and tell him to count or whatever. But I have a backup plan (my dying old PC) which I plan to set up and get on with it over the next week or so, so yeah it will still happen.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Anne Sofie's top 21 Films of all time Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI