Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 6/10/2012 11:22:14 PM   
elab49

This isn't really 'my next phone' because the info required is so basic.

I've never had a smartphone. I don't use any phone a lot tbh (I can use about £10 in 3-6months depending on my very basic pay as you go) but it occurred to me while I was away that being able to check a couple of things on the net - travel info eg - might be useful, particularly as so many agencies now focus on internet provision.

What I need is an absolutely basic guide. Most I can find are for people already with phones looking to upgrade so they don't answer basic questions like - I read a lot about massive paid for usage because some net stuff on phones updates without people realising. So how do you switch all that off, e.g. In fact - how do you get on the net at all? Is it anywhere in the particular networks phone coverage range?

See - really beginner questions. Can anyone recommend a guide at that level please?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 7/10/2012 12:31:14 PM   
donethinking

To keep your data usage down I would download any big files at home over wi-fi, but if you really have to you can still download over 3G, some phones you can cap the data usage so you dont go over limit and end up with a nasty bill, or you you can switch all data usage off and uncheck auto update.
There are some cheap tariffs with unlimited data usage though i.e. giffgaff do unlimited data and txts with 250 free mins a month for £10. (pay as you go)

As for smart phones being complicated, just dive into settings and have a wee faff around, it should all be pretty straight forward.

Edit: Clicky guide

< Message edited by donethinking -- 7/10/2012 12:36:10 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 7/10/2012 1:04:19 PM   
elab49

And there's the problem. Are all non-iphones (not interested in an iphone) Android?

I'm looking for something with questions that basic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 3
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 7/10/2012 1:35:43 PM   
gingerdaniel

Not all non-iphones are android, it tends to vary by phone vendor. HTC's, Samsung are android, but then Blackberrys have their own Operating System.

Nokia brought their own smartphone OS out with phones like the n95, years ago, unfortunately, it was shit. Their latest iteration is a Windows based OS, mixed reviews i hear.

My work phone is a HTC Desire S, it's alright, and it does ask you if you want to download large files over the phone network or you can select an option to only do it on wifi which i think is really cool.
I've been in the Apple camp for many years now, but i do use Android ones for work, they both have good features.

Where the Android system is popular, a phone manufacturer can slap it on their hardware easily enough and then users can download from a shared pool of applications. You'd probably be best off with one of those. Even so, the menu system can seem a little clunky and not overly intuitive. I've found that you'll go into a settings menu, but then have to press the menu button again for more options.
The iphone one is a lot more simple, but then you could argue it doesn't have the advanced options the android system comes with.

If you take the leap and grab something, I'm sure someone on here would have experience with it and can help.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 1:09:49 PM   
elab49

Right. Having spent an amazingly boring half hour in phone shops I've decided I may go for the Samsung Galaxy Note. Which like it, the reviews like it. I'd get a sim free one. I think this because

- I spend about £10 a 1/4 on phone calls on my PAYG if that because I don't use mobile phones all that much
- I don't next text minutes for the same reason (the odd 'haha' at my brother's team losing is about all I bother with).

So this is primarily going to be a device I use on the internet on the go. And maybe the odd film watch when I'm stuck in a hotel room.

If I buy it Sim free and buy a sim for a couple of quid to a random network, do I need to get mobile broadband with the same network or can that be independent? Or is it best to get a sim with the network I get the broadband with? And is arranging mobile boradband basically the same as the network that someone on a contract phone would be using?

quote:

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 5
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 1:17:49 PM   
elab49

Sorry, I've just realised that the mobile broad thing must be for other devices as the thing on a page looks like a dongle.

So - if I'm sim free it's a case of finding the cheapest network with the best coverage for data usage?

Can you get a data only sim?

Would eg something like GiffGaff be recommended?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 9/10/2012 1:23:51 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 8:58:10 PM   
elab49

I've been trying a few different comparisons so this is the one I'd appreciate feedback on if anyone can.

I looked closely at Sim only as the Galaxy Note (the original, not the current upgrade) seemed quite expensive on tariffs and at the cost I can get the phone there's little difference over 24 months.

BUT I've found a deal with 3 for 24 months with freephone that knocks a couple of hundred pounds off that.

SO Network =3
phone =Samsung Galaxy Note

(also, I'm assuming you can do things like DL apps on most smartphones?)

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 9:14:42 PM   
donethinking

are you sure you need a Galaxy note ? they're what i'd consider expensive

You could get an Huawei Ascend G300 for £100 on vodafone, unlock it for £4.97 (ebay) and then get giffgaff unlimited data for £10 a month

The Huawei is generally considered one of the best 'budget' smartphones going at the moment, getting the editors choice award on Cnet uk

I;m just waiting for my t-mobile contract to run out and i'll be joining giffgaff

EDIT: billmonitor.com is a handy site for working out your best contract if thats what you plan to do

< Message edited by donethinking -- 9/10/2012 9:20:59 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 9:22:24 PM   
elab49

I don't want a phone but something primarily for internet access so the clincher for me is the larger screen, stylus, etc.

I did look at Giffgaff but the forums suggested there was a lot of unreliability about getting the paid for updates?

quote:

Post #: 9
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 9:29:58 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I did look at Giffgaff but the forums suggested there was a lot of unreliability about getting the paid for updates?

not sure what you mean...you dont have to worry about download limits or updates, if you mean if you pay for an app i;m pretty sure any updates would be free after the initial purchase.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 9/10/2012 9:35:56 PM   
elab49

There's a very long thread on the first page of one of the sub-forums about people paying for their new goodie bag and it taking in the order of days to appear in their account leaving them with a gap in service and unable to use their phone. 

quote:

Post #: 11
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 8:41:58 AM   
donethinking

I see, I might need to re-think my giffgaff plan then

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 9:13:23 AM   
Chief

quote:

I don't want a phone but something primarily for internet access so the clincher for me is the larger screen, stylus, etc.

Get a tablet no? Nexus 7? Pretty cheap, small enough to be portable and do everything you want?

And you get to keep your old Nokia to play snake on.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 10:08:45 AM   
elab49

I probably shouldn't have been so absolute tbh, it's just the phone bit will barely be used because I already barely use a mobile. And I'd still keep my tiny phone that cost a tenner sim free in Tesco.

Tablets - can I ask how do they work out of wi-fi areas? Say you're driving several hundred miles and are using it to check traffic updates and maps? I thought the advantage of phones was you also get the advantage of network coverage?

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 14
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 11:05:21 AM   
Chief

Kindle Fire & Nexus 7 are wifi only I think, unless you connect through your 3G smartphone, which you don't have. Rendering the whole idea pointless! Ignore me.

Get an iPhone, join the dark side.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 12:15:28 PM   
elab49

No, someone else had mentioned Kindle to but I think they are instruments of evil and should be burned (once books are removed as I don't approve of book-burning unless the word 50 is in the title).

Are Apple Store staff still called 'genius'?

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 2:35:11 PM   
Chief

quote:

No, someone else had mentioned Kindle to but I think they are instruments of evil and should be burned (once books are removed as I don't approve of book-burning unless the word 50 is in the title).

Are Apple Store staff still called 'genius'?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 10:07:49 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Kindle Fire & Nexus 7 are wifi only I think, unless you connect through your 3G smartphone, which you don't have. Rendering the whole idea pointless! Ignore me.

Aren't the new Iphone something like £750 and the Iphone 4 still going for about £500?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 10/10/2012 10:31:25 PM   
elab49

If you buy a sim only thing do you get a phone number with it? I'm not a bit confused about where my phone number comes from!

So if I buy a sim free smartphone (having checked over 24 months it actually works out cheaper doing that and buying a rolling monthly sim only thing with 3 Mobile) - is it the sim they send me that decides my number?

That may be the dumbest query yet I know, but with it being, technically, a month at a time you could theoretically be changing your number multiple times. Unless you go through the hassle of porting the first one I guess.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/10/2012 10:32:15 PM >

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 12:37:47 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Aren't the new Iphone something like £750 and the Iphone 4 still going for about £500?

Nah, iPhone 4 is £319 outright from Apple, while the iPhone 5 is £529.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 20
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 12:43:02 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Tablets - can I ask how do they work out of wi-fi areas? Say you're driving several hundred miles and are using it to check traffic updates and maps? I thought the advantage of phones was you also get the advantage of network coverage?

Some have 3G access too. The iPad does. To be honest, having read this thread just now, I was going to recommend an iPad to you. It's easy to use from a tech standpoint (I'm useless myself), and is a reasonable price at £499 for a 3G/4G enabled one. You could stick a pay as you go simcard in there too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 12:45:21 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

If you buy a sim only thing do you get a phone number with it? I'm not a bit confused about where my phone number comes from!

So if I buy a sim free smartphone (having checked over 24 months it actually works out cheaper doing that and buying a rolling monthly sim only thing with 3 Mobile) - is it the sim they send me that decides my number?

That may be the dumbest query yet I know, but with it being, technically, a month at a time you could theoretically be changing your number multiple times. Unless you go through the hassle of porting the first one I guess.

Yep, the sim dictates the number. I'm not sure if I'm reading your last point correctly, but you don't change the simcard every month.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 1:16:36 AM   
elab49

I was thinking with these month contracts you could switch to another phone operator and get a new sim for a new month (not because you're whimsical but if you weren't happy with the service, e.g.). The whole month contract thing just seemed quite interesting 

quote:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 23
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 9:50:38 AM   
paulyboy

With regards to the Nexus 7 tablet, a 3G enabled one is rumoured to be hitting the shops before the end of this month, at £160 for the standard (8GB) wifi version I imagine a 3G one won't be far off, certainly cheaper than an iPad. Might be worth holding off for a week or two just see what appears.

If not, any half decent smartphone on the market will suit you just fine, if you're buying a sim free one I'd opt for the one you can get the best deal on personally.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 24
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 11/10/2012 11:45:47 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

I was thinking with these month contracts you could switch to another phone operator and get a new sim for a new month (not because you're whimsical but if you weren't happy with the service, e.g.). The whole month contract thing just seemed quite interesting 

Ah right yeah, you could do that, and you could presumably change your number too, but it'd be a bit of hassle.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 22/10/2012 11:42:25 AM   
donethinking

Just wondering if you got that Galaxy note elab ? if you havent you may want to consider the google nexus 7 3G when it comes out (next week they say)
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/tablets/3406202/google-nexus-7-3g-nexus-10-arrive-next-week/

looks like its custom designed for your purposes and cheaper than the Galaxy Note at £199

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 23/10/2012 10:45:48 AM   
elab49

I thought that was a tablet, not a phone though?

Another dumb question - virus protection. The phone I'm getting has an android system (not sure which yet, depends on phone). So does it need anti-virus or how does that work?

quote:

Post #: 27
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 23/10/2012 12:37:57 PM   
donethinking

Indeed it is, i thought you said you wouldnt be using it as a phone tho just browsing the web and such as you already have a phone for making calls ?

regarding the anitvirus, i'm no expert but as far as i know its not so much of a worry for android compared to windows but you can still get free antivrus stuff from google 'play', which incase you're not aware is where you get all your apps from.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 23/10/2012 12:46:39 PM   
elab49

I'm still taking advantage of the phone universality though. I just mean the calling/text part of any plan is irrelevant to me. I'm not looking for a tablet, ta 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/10/2012 12:47:10 PM >

quote:

Post #: 29
RE: Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) - 1/11/2012 9:52:44 AM   
elab49

Being a smartphone virgin is not fun. How the hell does anyone manage on a small data allowance? I've just DL a couple of things like browser and mobil security and it's already used a chunk of data (I went for all you can eat for the moment until I work out how much I use generally!).

This is all very baffling and scary. Still - I got google maps to work so that's one hurdle gone.

Thank you all for your help and advice - as always, it was appreciated.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Smartphones for Dummies (or equivalent) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI