Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cheap but alright places to stay in London

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Cheap but alright places to stay in London Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 8:27:55 PM   
moontheloon

I am going to London next Friday (12th) or a week, and whilst I have managed to get friends to put me up for most of it, the first two nights are proving tricky so I need to find somewhere else to stay. I am looking for somewhere relatively cheap and preferably not dirty and loud. I've done a few searches online but the reviews for pretty much all of them ranger from 5 stars this was a wonderful clean lovely place, to people simply saying the opposite of that, so I don't really know who to believe. Does anyone here know of anywhere from experience that they could recommend I check out?

Any help you guys could give would be appreciated. I know it's just two nights and I should probably just take a risk... but hey

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do
Post #: 1
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 8:30:47 PM   
matty_b

I have a feeling you might need to narrow down the area where you're staying just a little bit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 2
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 8:32:44 PM   
elab49

You could possibly try to PM Adambatman. I may be misremembering but I think he might have used or know about hostels in London? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 3
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 9:37:23 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I have a feeling you might need to narrow down the area where you're staying just a little bit.

Hah, generally not too fussy, preferably in zones 1-4. I am going to Wembley on the Friday night, and will be spending time in central London the Saturday and Sunday, so yeah, around then.

And thanks elab, I'll drop him a line now, see what he says.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 9:45:07 PM   
adambatman82

Hey, I looked in to hostels for the London film festival recently, and while I wound up staying with family instead I did get a lot of great feedback about a few in particular.

Clink looks amazing. http://www.clinkhostels.com

While a fellow press guy has stayed at a St. Christopher's hostel at London Bridge, and has been happy with it. http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/london-hostels/london-bridge

I was actually kinda disappointed when I found that family could put me up for the duration actually, as I've never stayed in a hostel before and it looks like a bit of an adventure.

Post #: 5
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 10:16:20 PM   
moontheloon

Cheers adam!

I have vague memories of seeing clink years ago on these boards, they're the ones that they've converted from old prison cells or something aren't they?

I went with St Christophers in the end as it was within budget, very close to the BFI and looked really nice.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 6
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 5/10/2012 10:58:22 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I stayed in the Pentonville Clink hostel for a couple of days when I came back from my Aussie travels and it was an alright place, quite near King's Cross. Friendly staff, pretty clean and the internet room was the old courtroom. so you could sit in the dock and have a faff on Facebook if you wanted. The main drawback (and I say this as someone who only stayed in cheapo mixed dorm as opposed to a private room) was that you are packed like sardines in the bunks, and if you get a bottom bunk it resembles lying in a coffin slightly.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 7
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 6/10/2012 3:16:39 PM   
Ref

Premier Inns are always a good cheap bet. I've found them ideal when going to gigs in London.

www.premierinn.com

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 8
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 6/10/2012 3:23:01 PM   
Hood_Man

I stayed in the YHA Thameside a few months ago when I went to London to see Batman. There were 6 of us so I booked a 6 bunk room for 96 (16 each), but I think it's normally around 16-18 per person per night if you want the cheapest single bunks.

It was just a roof over our heads for the night, but the shower and toilet was clean, the rooms were clean etc. It was actually quite nice, and the reception was open 24/7 which was handy for those of us who couldn't sleep and wanted to hang out downstairs for a few hours chatting.

I think it was about an hour's walk away from the BFI if that's any indication of distance (I've only been to London a handful of times, I don't know my way round at all), but walking along the Thames is a nice walk.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 9
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 6/10/2012 3:29:45 PM   
JV

I went to London during the Olympics and stayed at Astor Victoria for about 18 for a bed in a 4-bed dorm. It was all right, bit cramped, but clean and comfy. It's located between Pimlico and Victoria.

I usually go for YHA hostels though and have stayed at their Blackfriars & Holland Park ones. Both are all right, not been in a few years though.

Astor have a chain of hostels and their flagship one is supposed to be quite good but I can't remember where in London it is though.

I wrote a review of Astor Victoria on Trip Advisor. I'm LeafyOfNotts if you happen to look at the reviews on there.

Good luck!

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 10
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 8/10/2012 8:29:29 AM   
jonson

Last few times I've gone to London for a few days I've stopped in the St Giles Hotel. Just round the corner from Leicester Square, it's nice and central and is pretty much always got available rooms. It's clean and quiet.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 11
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 16/10/2012 5:53:04 PM   
Goodfella

I'd skip on hostels to be honest. Post Olympics, where the hotels didn't make anywhere near what they were hoping, I'd just look around for cheap deals, they'll be plenty about and some in very good areas, I know there's several hotels in the Liverpool Street area offering package deals.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 12
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 26/10/2012 1:08:36 AM   
Mister Coe

Another vote for Premier Inn. I usually stay at the Earls Court one but I've been seeing really good prices at the newly opened one at Tate Modern Either way, PI's are well comfy and clean.

Say what now?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 13
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 26/10/2012 6:44:47 PM   
The2ndRing

http://www.cityviewhotel.co.uk

Very cheap, and okaaaay. I'll be honest they aren't the nicest rooms, but they're clean (looking) and alright to bumnk in for a few nights, don't cost a packet etc. The one we stayed in was right on Bethnal Green too, so really close to Central London.

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14
RE: Cheap but alright places to stay in London - 2/11/2012 10:43:53 PM   
smithCC

St. Christopher's Inn - London Bridge.. This hostel is perfect for a base to explore London! It's situatedjust down the road from London Bridge station which links you to the rest of the city, and also close to attractions such as tower bridge and the london dungeons. men and women

< Message edited by smithCC -- 11/11/2012 9:26:55 PM >

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Cheap but alright places to stay in London Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI