Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Little Girl Missing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Little Girl Missing Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 5:14:05 PM   
Hood_Man

Well we've probably all heard about this one by now, but if not:

The little girl April Jones was abducted last night around 7pm from her street in Machynlleth last night, and so far a 46 year old male has been arrested in connection with the disappearance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19805565

Such a horrible story

[EDIT]

What's hitting home the most about this story is the way she's believed to have gotten into the van of her own accord, which sounds like the sort of thing my younger sister would have done at that age. So outgoing and so open to others, and so innocent too, she wouldn't have even thought about something like this happening.

Horrific

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 2/10/2012 5:23:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 5:28:39 PM   
Harley Quinn

I saw this story break late last night. It's horrible and the fact she got into the van is terrible as you said.

*Slight Rant*

The amount of people who are already criticising her parents for her going missing because it was 7:30 and she should of been in doors is both shocking and disgusting.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 5:31:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this all day. What a horrible story, I really hope they find her safe, sound and unharmed but sadly I think that ship has probably sailed although I desperately hope that I'm wrong. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through right now .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 6:04:18 PM   
jon5000

God this is a horrible story. Terrible things happen in the world all the time I know, but when it's a child from a suburban area of the same country we live in you can't help but feel an awful kind of emotional resonance. Just awful, as soon as I read it this morning and saw her photo my heart sank.

Just heard they've arrested someone... good to be positive but you cannot help but fear the worst can you.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 4
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 6:33:17 PM   
sanchia

I think the only good thing is that such events are so rare but it does not make when such things happen any less shocking. Hopefully she is alive and well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 5
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 6:36:21 PM   
Harley Quinn

Apparently they are searching a river for her. Sadly it doesn't look like there will be a happy ending in this case.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 6:36:47 PM   
Ghidorah

Hopefully she is still alive and unharmed, however we all know how unlikely these outcomes are. I also has a strong feelin this monster is well known to the police and once again questions will be ask why the judical system isn't doing enough.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 7
RE: Little Girl Missing - 2/10/2012 6:42:11 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

Hopefully she is still alive and unharmed, however we all know how unlikely these outcomes are. I also has a strong feelin this monster is well known to the police and once again questions will be ask why the judical system isn't doing enough.

Assuming "known to the police" means he is a previously known peadophile and a serial offender I dont see how those questions can be raised. (not trying to be an argumentative prick, or a white knight for peadophiles) We know nothing about this man yet.

I think the river searches are the search teams pursuing all possibilities- they have to really. I hope she is found safely soon.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 8
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 7:54:54 AM   
donethinking

I'm assuming the guy they have in custody is the abductor....if so why dont they have more information about where she is? it doesn't bode well that fact that he's not talking.

< Message edited by donethinking -- 3/10/2012 8:22:43 AM >

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 9
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 9:15:45 AM   
Chief

They'told the public they don't want volunteers searching any more. Is it possibly because they expect to find a body now?

I hope not. Something about this has really gripped me and I feel so sorry for the family. I keep picturing the wee girl alive, cold and scared somewhere. Heartbreaking.

Ideally she's alive, stashed in a house or shed somewhere and the police find her today.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 12:13:52 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Ideally she's alive, stashed in a house or shed somewhere and the police find her today.

That's exactly what I am praying for...

I have been clued to the news since the first hour that the story broke.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 11
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 12:30:52 PM   
DancingClown

So frustrating. They've arrested this guy, presumably for good reason. It was his landrover she presumably got into. Yet they still don't know what's happened to her, despite having this cunt in custody.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 12
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 1:12:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

So frustrating. They've arrested this guy, presumably for good reason. It was his landrover she presumably got into. Yet they still don't know what's happened to her, despite having this cunt in custody.

Just a gentle reminder of the whole "innocent until proven guilty thing".

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 13
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 1:21:36 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

They'told the public they don't want volunteers searching any more. Is it possibly because they expect to find a body now?

I think their request was more due to the fact that a large number of people may hinder their thermal imaging cameras and that the topography of the areas that they are concentrating on may be hazardous to members of the public -apparently the river is still seriously swollen from recent rains.

I have to agree with Harls' post above - the number of comments on facebook trying to attribute some blame to the parents is, frankly, disgusting.  As if the poor parents aren't going through enough hell at the minute.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 14
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:29:22 PM   
Brooksy84

Sorry but I can't let this slide. A five year old playing out in the street at 7.30 at night in the dark is at best naive, at worst it's downright negligent. Never mind being abducted, she could have been hit by a car or anything. I feel for them but this ideal that kids SHOULD be able to play out all night without fear of being taken is irresponsible in the real world.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:37:49 PM   
DancingClown

Have a little decency and turn it in, yeah? I know I'm not the only one who doesn't wanna see the shit-slinging in this thread. Take it elsewhere please.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 16
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:45:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Have a little decency and turn it in, yeah? I know I'm not the only one who doesn't wanna see the shit-slinging in this thread. Take it elsewhere please.

What DC said!

Post #: 17
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:47:25 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

Sorry but I can't let this slide. A five year old playing out in the street at 7.30 at night in the dark is at best naive, at worst it's downright negligent. Never mind being abducted, she could have been hit by a car or anything. I feel for them but this ideal that kids SHOULD be able to play out all night without fear of being taken is irresponsible in the real world.

Do you have children? Where are they right now?

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 18
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:50:15 PM   
Phil884

quote:

Well, I understand that child abduction is, thankfully, very rare so it doesnít really pay for us to go all Daily Mail and declare that there is a paedo on every corner. If she lived in the city, I think there would be a little more credence in your objection to a young child playing in the dark but the consistent accounts given to date seem to suggest that that crime in the area they live Ė let alone wannabe abductors - is virtually non-existent and you must look at the position in the context that applies.

As to the other point you make, the accounts I have read and seen describe she and her friends playing on fields (so away from traffic) so I donít think the parents would have that concern.

Finally, right now and most importantly, I think the unimaginable hell that the parents are experiencing is quite enough without the likes of you condemning them too, donít you think?

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 19
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:51:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I'd agree with DC and HQ. They live in a small village in rural Wales, one of the safest places in the country. It's a tight knit community where pretty much everyone knows each other (or their neighbours at least) so why wouldn't they allow their child out to play with other children given those circumstances?

7:30 is later than I'd allow my child out to play (although that's moot because I live in the town centre, my kids don't really get to go "out to play") but as a child I was out playing in the street with all the other kids till it got dark on a constant basis. I'd say they were no more neglectful than the parents of everyone I knew in the 80's.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 3/10/2012 4:02:51 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 20
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 3:59:08 PM   
Hood_Man

Since the little girl is believe to have gotten into the van of her own accord anyway, what difference does it make that it happened at 7:30 in the evening? There are streetlights everywhere these days, the place was illuminated. This could have happened in the afternoon too.

Should we condemn all parents for allowing their children to play in the vicinity of vans now?

Post #: 21
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:05:21 PM   
superdan

I lived in a little farming village until I was 8, and most of the memories I have of the place are of me and all the other kids playing out in the woods and fields pretty much until the local clubhouse turfed all our parents out. I don't think it occurred to anyone that this was 'negligence', it was a situation that seemed to suit everyone from adult to child down to the ground.

Post #: 22
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:21:07 PM   
Brooksy84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

Do you have children? Where are they right now?

I've got a ten month old, she's sitting on the floor in front of me.

quote:

It's a tight knit community where pretty much everyone knows each other (or their neighbours at least) so why wouldn't they allow their child out to play with other children given those circumstances?

Apparently not as tight knit as everybody thought it was. I don't mean to sound callous but that sums my point up completely; why rely on what probably won't happen when you have the power to prevent it in the first place. I'm not banging on their door spitting venom in their faces here, just making my point. In my opinion, it isn't the right thing to let a five year old play out at night, street lights or not.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 23
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:21:56 PM   
paulyboy

Reading some of these responses is interesting, my parents practically had me under house arrest until I was 9-10, wouldn't even class where I was lived as being particularly urban either, the opposite if anything in fact, even at that age I still wouldn't have been allowed out in the dark.

Perhaps it's just the way I've been raised, with parents (mother especially) that swayed towards the nervous end of the spectrum, but I honestly can't fathom letting a 5 year old play outside by themselves without supervision, I just can't.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 24
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:31:24 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Reading some of these responses is interesting, my parents practically had me under house arrest until I was 9-10, wouldn't even class where I was lived as being particularly urban either, the opposite if anything in fact, even at that age I still wouldn't have been allowed out in the dark.

Perhaps it's just the way I've been raised, with parents (mother especially) that swayed towards the nervous end of the spectrum, but I honestly can't fathom letting a 5 year old play outside by themselves without supervision, I just can't.

Would I let my 5 year old play out in the street. No. Not where I live. It's not safe I've had at least four incident's of joyriders mounting the pavement outside my house. Along with the charming street fights from the college over the road.

But her parents did they believed she was safe. A mistake that will hunt them forever regardless of what way this story pans out.

It should be pointed out that according to the papers the person arrested knew the family & knew the little girl. People coach their children to be wary of strangers but never think to mention Mum's fried Sue or Dad's mate Dave.

My parent's told me unless they told me themselves that they weren't picking me up from school etc to go with no one .

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 3/10/2012 4:33:55 PM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:37:38 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
I've got a ten month old, she's sitting on the floor in front of me.

What happens to her when you're not there? Who looks after her? How do you know she's safe? What happens after 5 years of watching her grow, making friends, getting to know people, becoming more and more independent? Will you watch her at all times, know where she is every minute of the day? What age will you start letting go slightly? 6, 7, 8, 9? Maybe 10?

What you're doing is victim blaming. When said within the context of this thread I don't believe you're just making the point that it's not right for a 5 year old to be playing at night, you're suggesting the situation is partly the fault of the parents. It isn't, it's the fault of whoever took her.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 3/10/2012 4:50:17 PM >

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 26
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:47:13 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

To bo honest, neither can I. I've got three, my oldest is four, and even imagining them playing outside - either by themselves or with other kids - has me hyperventilating. Which is weird because I was always outside as a kid, although I was in the 'safe' middle-class suburbs. And stories like this don't help that condition, naturally.

Would I let my five-year old play outside at half-seven, even with others? Probably not. But this does not affect my sympathies for her poor family and I refuse to become part of the self-satisfied braying mob who want to blame the victims in life through some weird sense of superiority. (Not saying this is what you're doing, by the way.)

Like Hoody said there's only one person responsible for this and that's the cunt that took her.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 27
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:53:49 PM   
Brooksy84

Who knows what age I'll let her play out at 7.30 at night in October, but I can safely say it won't be 5.
To suggest that the parents share culpability, even a tiny bit, might sound appalling, it might disgust some people's sensibilities, but it doesn't make it false. If I leave my car unlocked and someone breaks in and steals my stereo then I blame myself; that doesn't make the thief any less dirty scum for doing it.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:54:53 PM   
matty_b

quote:

If I leave my car unlocked and someone breaks in and steals my stereo

Not really the same as a child being abducted, though, is it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 29
RE: Little Girl Missing - 3/10/2012 4:58:44 PM   
Hood_Man

For the record I was also wrapped in cotton wool as a kid. If I'm honest it didn't really help me, but I still wouldn't want any children I might have playing outside at night either.

BUT I would let them do things which I felt were safe, and since everyone has different ideas on what "safe" is, it's just downright harsh and insensitive to use the "what did you expect?" kind of thinking after something terrible like this happens. Anyone can do that.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Little Girl Missing Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI