Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Favourite 250 Horrors

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 21/10/2012 11:40:43 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I've got to rewatch REC this Halloween - just another addition to the raft of great horror films coming from Spain. The last 15 minutes are terrifying, with one jump scare in particular which brings back good memories from uni after lending it to some friends, whose screams I could hear echoing down my hall's corridors.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 121
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 12:05:38 AM   
rawlinson

My wife refused to go out of the room after we watched it because the hallway was too dark and she didn't want to walk to the light-switch.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 122
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 12:06:19 AM   
rawlinson

210. The Voice of the Beach

By Ramsey Campbell
Short Story

Our narrator is visited in his beachfront home by an old friend, while exploring the beach together they find a small, deserted town. Our narrator's friend develops an obsession with a diary they discover there and soon both men find themselves disturbed by the sands. A story that's nearly impossible to describe, the story works through a building sense of malevolence coming from the beach. This was Campbell indulging his love of the Cthulhu Mythos, what inhabits the beach are certainly Old Ones, but this is recreating Lovecraft's cosmic horror without using the imagery of H.P.'s work. It's not mere Lovecraft imitation though, it's a unique creation, and those shifting sands linger long in the memory.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 123
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 12:33:32 AM   
rawlinson

209. The Late Shift

By Dennis Etchison
Short Story

Dawn of the Dead used zombies to add satire to its horror, using them to critique Capitalism. The Late Shift does a similar thing, only instead of the zombies being mindless drones drawn towards shopping malls, it casts them as downtrodden workers. Our hero stumbles upon a secret company that resurrects dead bodies in order to ship them out to work the night shift. A true classic of modern zombie fiction, and one that puts the creatures to fresh use.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 124
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 6:16:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

My wife refused to go out of the room after we watched it because the hallway was too dark and she didn't want to walk to the light-switch.

Did you do the gentlemanly thing and go and put the light on for her?

Rec's ace.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 125
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 9:19:27 AM   
matty_b

[REC] is great.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 126
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 10:21:58 AM   
MovieAddict247

Not read any of the recent ones or seen REC - I'll try and find some of the short stories soon.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 127
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 12:20:52 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Did you do the gentlemanly thing and go and put the light on for her?

Rec's ace.

I just laughed and pointed.

I really wish I could finish this in time for Halloween.

Post #: 128
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 1:31:05 PM   
impqueen

I really enjoyed REC, the second was okay and I thought Genesis was good fun.

Ghost Story is superb,

I re-read Mr. Poynter this morning and itís a brilliant little piece and I agree it has a quirky quality. The Red Lodge is a good one too and The Late Shift was a great read.

I will try and track down Werewolf it sounds good though Murgunstrumm sounds even better, The Voice of the Beach looks very interesting too.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 129
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 1:34:49 PM   
rawlinson

You can actually pick up Murgunstrumm and Others on the Kindle for a little over £3.

The Late Shift has actually been adapted fairly recently for the Dreadtime Stories audio series that Fangoria have been doing. It's a very cheesy series in general, but worth a listen to wonder what kind of bills Malcolm McDowell is trying to pay off by narrating them.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 130
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 1:37:33 PM   
MonsterCat

Rec is a great choice. The sequel is pretty good. The third film is bollocks.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 131
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 1:46:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Yes to all that.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 132
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:03:54 PM   
impqueen

quote:

You can actually pick up Murgunstrumm and Others on the Kindle for a little over £3.

The Late Shift has actually been adapted fairly recently for the Dreadtime Stories audio series that Fangoria have been doing. It's a very cheesy series in general, but worth a listen to wonder what kind of bills Malcolm McDowell is trying to pay off by narrating them.

McDowell has a role in the 4th Series of a show that I adore but has yet to be aired and Gods fat arse knows when it will.

I've been meaning to thank you for your Kindle information however when Iím eventually bankrupt I will be expecting financial assistance.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 133
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:07:31 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

Yes to all that.

Such a bizarre choice on Paco Plaza's part to make Rec 3 into what is essentially a horror comedy. It sits so awkwardly with the other two films.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 134
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:09:57 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

McDowell has a role in the 4th Series of a show that I adore but has yet to be aired and Gods fat arse knows when it will.

I didn't know he was going to be in that. I do know that he's listed for Home Alone 5.

quote:

I've been meaning to thank you for your Kindle information however when Iím eventually bankrupt I will be expecting financial assistance.

Maybe you could sign up for series 2 of The Valleys and make some cash.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 135
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:10:41 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes to all that.

Such a bizarre choice on Paco Plaza's part to make Rec 3 into what is essentially a horror comedy. It sits so awkwardly with the other two films.

And I think it's a bad film on its own terms as well.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 136
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:20:59 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't know he was going to be in that. I do know that he's listed for Home Alone 5.

quote:

Home Alone 5? Is he the one left behind by incompetent relatives and forced to fight off bungling teenage hoodlums?

When you leave Cardiff on the Ebbw Vale train there is a massive billboard advertising that show, I died a little every time I saw it. It looks fucking horrendous and something that strengthens my belief that Welsh people shouldn't be allowed on television.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 137
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 22/10/2012 2:26:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Home Alone 5? Is he the one left behind by incompetent relatives and forced to fight off bungling teenage hoodlums?

I dearly hope so. And I really hope there's a scene where he dresses up as Alex and starts hitting a hoodlum with a giant cock sculpture.

quote:

When you leave Cardiff on the Ebbw Vale train there is a massive billboard advertising that show, I died a little every time I saw it. It looks fucking horrendous and something that strengthens my belief that Welsh people shouldn't be allowed on television.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 138
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 23/10/2012 8:19:26 PM   
rawlinson

208. Hell House

By Richard Matheson
Novel

The Belasco house is one of the most notorious haunted houses in America. The former owner, Emeric Belasco, is said to have committed acts of great perversion in the house, before disappearing. Into the house comes Dr. Barrett,a paranormal investigator hired to find evidence of life after death. He brings with him his wife, Edith, a vulnerable medium named Florence Tanner and Ben Fischer, the only survivor fo a previous, tragic attempt to explore the house. It's obvious that Matheson was taking the bones of Jackson's Haunting of Hill House as inspiration for Hell House, yet he makes it far nastier than Jackson's more gentle horror, filling it with sex and violence and a general nasty edge. It's rightly regarded as one of the great haunted house novels, yet it's one that might be a bit of a kick in the gut for some readers.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 139
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 1:57:58 AM   
rawlinson

207. Cool Air

By H.P. Lovecraft
Short Story

Cool Air's narrator moves into a new apartment building and soon finds himself forming a peculiar friendship with the mysterious doctor who lives above him. The doctor uses a special refrigeration system in order to keep his apartment at a certain temperature,and when the system breaks down he is forced to seek the help of our hero. Cool Air might not be the kind of story a reader would automatically associate with Lovecraft, but it captures that air of paranoia and sickness in the prose that always feels so uniquely Lovecraftian.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 140
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 1:09:02 AM   
rawlinson

206. The Blair Witch Project

Directors: Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sanchez
Film

Three students go into the woods looking to record a documentary about the fabled Blair Witch, then they disappear. It's really that simple. But many of the best ghost stories are. Odd as it may seem to those who weren't swept up in the hype, The Blair Witch Project was a genuine cultural phenomenon. It was also one of the most divisive films of its era, with the film attracting a lot of outright hatred. But those of us who loved the film did so because we were shaken by the small moments and eerie imagery, then utterly destroyed but that oppressive final sequence. I've never felt so claustrophobic in a cinema in my life. I saw it in a small Cardiff cinema on opening night, when I got out of the screening people were already lining up for the next showing. I've never had a film induce a panic attack in me before Blair Witch. It's easy to see the influences on the film. Found footage films like Cannibal Holocaust inspired its look, and the story was clearly influenced by Karl Edward Wagner's masterful short, Sticks (especially those creepy bundles), but it's mostly an urban legend, just one with an amazing pr department pushing its story.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 141
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 1:19:02 AM   
rawlinson

205. Tales of the Unexpected: The Flypaper

T.V. Series Episode

With one child already missing in the area, a schoolgirl on a bus ride home finds herself the target of an unpleasant old man who may be a child killer. Capturing the same kind of atmosphere as the best of the gritty, downbeat 70s British horror films, Flypaper is a league above the rest of the Tales of the Unexpected episodes, as entertaining as many of them were. This actually gave me nightmares as a child and haunted me for an incredibly long time. It's still distressing even today.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 142
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 1:45:24 AM   
siegfried

A series I used to thoroughly enjoy. I don't buy many TV series, but I think I'd be tempted to get that one if it was available.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 143
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 4:44:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Blair Witch

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 144
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 8:10:25 AM   
Rebel scum

The Diary of Mr. Poynter - Great stuff, but there's a lot of James' other stories that I prefer
Rec - Part of a three-group ensemble called "Shakey-cam films that aren't shit"
Cool Air - A Lovecraft story that doesn't get enough love
The Blair Witch Project - Another member of the "Shakey-cam films that aren't shit" trio

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 145
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 8:20:54 AM   
MovieAddict247

The Blair Witch Project - really good.

The Flypaper - so upsetting and nasty.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 146
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 9:58:45 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

A series I used to thoroughly enjoy. I don't buy many TV series, but I think I'd be tempted to get that one if it was available.

A lot of it appears to be on YouTube.

BWP is brilliant.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 147
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 2:03:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

Are you in the UK (I have a feeling you're not, but can't remember for certain)? Because you can get the complete series in a box set, Network released it a few years back.

quote:

The Diary of Mr. Poynter - Great stuff, but there's a lot of James' other stories that I prefer

Plenty more James to come.

quote:

The Flypaper - so upsetting and nasty.

One of many childhood trauma moments for me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 148
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 2:08:35 PM   
Deviation

Blair Witch above I Saw the Devil?

You sir, are a madman. A flamboyant and vaugely bisexual one as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 149
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 28/10/2012 2:38:55 PM   
rawlinson

These are in a different order to the way I'd place them on a favourites list, I think I'm trying to order them by what works more as horror for me. It's a difficult task.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI