Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Favourite 250 Horrors

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 16/10/2012 2:08:32 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Intriguing list so far rawlinson, looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 91
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 1:00:58 AM   
rawlinson

Thanks.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 92
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 1:01:41 AM   
rawlinson

221. Thus I Refute Beelzy

by John Collier
Short Story

A simple little story that brings to mind Saki. A young boy comes into conflict with his overbearing, unpleasant father when he insists that his imaginary friend, Mr. Beelzy, is real. He also says that Mr. Beelzy has promised to protect him if anyone tries to hurt him, a warning his father foolishly ignores. Darkly funny and oh so nasty.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 93
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 2:19:56 AM   
rawlinson

220. Ghost Story

by Peter Straub
Novel

In New York, a group of four elderly men known as The Chowder Society meet regularly to tell each other ghost stories. A fifth member had been found dead recently in mysterious circumstances. Since that death, the remaining members have found themselves suffering from nightmares and their stories begin to take on a more personal flavour, until finally the dark secret of the society is revealed. Straub's love-letter to traditional ghost stories remains my favourite of his novels, despite tough competition from the likes of Shadowland and Koko, and is one of the finest modern attempts to recreate the mood of classic horror.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 94
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 2:45:13 AM   
rawlinson

219. The Tenant

Director: Roman Polanski
Film

The third entry in a loose trilogy about people becoming isolated in their apartments and becoming overwhelmed by their surroundings (Following Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby), The Tenant stars Polanski as Trelkovsky,a foreigner in France who moves into an apartment where the previous tenant attempted suicide. Becoming interested in the woman, Simone, he visits her in hospital and meets a friend of hers, but whatever he attemps he finds it impossible to fit in to the world around him. Trelkovsky comes to believe that his neighbours are engaged in a conspiracy to drive him to suicide by forcing the personality of the woman on him.

The Tenant was the first movie Polanski made after fleeing America on rape charges, is it a coincidence that he himself plays the title character? Trelkovsky is a ball of impotent, frustrated loathing driven to despair by his place in society, Polanski's character is an outsider in a strange country and he feels as if the world is against him, but it's just as likely he's a victim of his own paranoia. Polanski may not be the first choice of everyone for a leading man role, but he's perfect here, he understands Trelkovsky and all of his alienation and it's difficult to imagine a more professional actor doing the job as well. One of the film's greatest strengths is the cinematography from Sven Nykvist, creating haunting imagery from Trelkovsky's isolated apartment and from the faces of the neighbours who keep a constant watch on him, some of them fading Hollywood stars.

The Tenant is one of cinema's greatest paranoid fantasies. The fear of the other is a running theme in Polanski's work, no doubt inspired by the horrors he endured in his own life. Here the neighbours do everything they can to make Trelkovsky feel unwelcome and we feel his discomfort under their threatening gazes. The sense of urban paranoia and mental impairment, again themes that run through Polanski's work, are here turned almost blackly comic. If Repulsion was serious and psychological and Rosemary's Baby a more mainstream take on paranoia, here Polanski seems to be aiming for an entry in The Theatre Of The Absurd. The sense of dread becomes almost comical on several occasions, especially when Trelkovsky tries to become the woman everyone seems to want him to be. And if we take what we're shown at face value they do seem to want to trap him in Simone's life, but is what we're seeing ever real or is it simply more of Trelkovsky's delusions? There are people who feel that Trelkovsky is being taken over by the spirit of the dead girl, and there's certainly a case to be made for the concept of Simone's soul being transferred to Trelkovsky's body. Especially in the 'hospital scream' segment. Trelkovsky himself could be a fictional construct, a fantasy of Simone as she lies in her hospital bed. Or Trelkovsky himself could be hallucinating the whole thing, he's certainly suffering a loss of identity brought on by his isolation and his alienation could be bringing about a mental collapse. Polanski never really answers the question for us by giving us a definite truth, and the film is all the better for it.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 95
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 5:47:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

The third entry in a loose trilogy about people becoming isolated in their apartments and becoming overwhelmed by their surroundings (Following Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby),

Linking it with those two films, you're not really selling me this one

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 96
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 3:29:00 PM   
rawlinson

Are you still doing badly with how much you've seen/read of the list?

Post #: 97
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 3:30:03 PM   
rawlinson

218. They Bite

by Anthony Boucher
Short Story

Hugh Tallant is a mercenary figure, as the story begins we find him out in the desert, spying on a U.S. army glider training camp. A local bartender tells Tallant to be careful where he camps, for some of the land belongs to the Carker Family. Seemingly a local spook story, nothing much is known about them, other than "they bite". The army have been called in to try clearing them out more than once, but still they linger on. The fear of the area among the locals means that the place is never visited, and Tallant decides to use the legend of the Carkers to take care of a fellow mercenary who has been trying to blackmail him. The character development is minimal, this is all about atmosphere and intensity. A nasty, biting little story that revels in its unpleasantness, it's easy to see the EC writers absolutely adoring this story and you can see the influence of The Carkers feeding through to films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 98
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 8:34:15 PM   
MovieAddict247

Thus I Refute Beelzy and They Bite are both great. I haven't read Beezly for a while - I can't even remember which anthology I read it in - whilst They Bite is one I had in a "Spooky Campfire Stories" type book.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 99
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 8:55:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Thus I Refute Beelzy and They Bite are both great. I haven't read Beezly for a while - I can't even remember which anthology I read it in - whilst They Bite is one I had in a "Spooky Campfire Stories" type book.

I love the idea of They Bite being in one of those kind of books.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 100
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:05:52 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I love the idea of They Bite being in one of those kind of books.

It was a really intense (lol cos it was for camping) book.

It had stories based on the elements, man, animals, miscellanious other (which was where They Bite came in) - so there were stories of bear attacks, the Donnor Party, tsumanis, those unidentified lights in Texas, etc. It was a great book. Perhaps not the ideal for children's bedtime reading though....

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 101
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:14:39 PM   
rawlinson

I think I'd really like to read that book.

Post #: 102
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:24:47 PM   
MovieAddict247

I can't for the life of me remember it's name...I'll keep searching (Google really isn't helping here). I haven't read it for a while, They Bite was by far my favourite story in there.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 103
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:26:47 PM   
rawlinson

Anything listed on the isfdb?

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?40875

Post #: 104
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:28:47 PM   
MovieAddict247

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-campfire-collection-eric-b-martin/1112238384

The Cremation of Sam McGee was one I really liked too.

< Message edited by MovieAddict247 -- 17/10/2012 9:29:33 PM >

Post #: 105
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 17/10/2012 9:37:29 PM   
rawlinson

Thanks, I might try and grab a copy.

Post #: 106
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 12:11:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Yep. I Saw The devil and that's it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 107
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 12:21:52 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Yep. I Saw The devil and that's it.

You should have offered him your soul in exchange for good taste in cinema.

Post #: 108
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 12:24:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nah, I'm good

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 109
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 6:02:59 PM   
rawlinson

217. The Diary of Mr. Poynter

by M.R. James
Short Story

The period between Halloween and New Year tends to be a little dominated by M.R. James for me. I think it's the immediate association that comes from James and Christmas that does it, but I can't let the winter season pass without a revisit of his stories and the adaptations of them. I'm probably more familiar with his work than that of any other horror writer. So it should come as no surprise when I say this horror list contains a large amount of his work. Like in much of his writings, the evil in the story is found in a seemingly innocent object, a fabric pattern found inside an old diary. The book in question is acquired by our protagonist, Mr. Denton, at a book auction. When his aunt sees the pattern, resembling some kind of hair, she decides it would be perfect for the curtains for their home. Anyone with any familiarity with these kind of stories will know what a mistake that is. The ghost in this tale is unusual for Western horror literature, maybe not so much for Japanese ghost stories though. A quirky offering from James, but one of my favourites.

Post #: 110
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 6:05:51 PM   
rawlinson

216. Quatermass II

T.V. Series

The Quatermass Experiment proved such a popular success that it would have been no great surprise when a second series was commissioned. Whereas the first series was mostly lost, every episode of Quatermass II survives in the BBC archives. The original Professor Quatermass, Reginald Tate, had sadly passed away and the role was taken by John Robinson. While working on a project to establish bases on the moon, Quatermass also investigates some meteorite showers and uncovers a government conspiracy where the aliens are already among us and poised to take control of Earth. Quatermass 2 is a stunning, Body Snatchers-esque, example of paranoia in sci-fi. Nigel Kneale's work was among the most ambitious and thought-provoking of its time and Quatermass II is sci-fi/horror as cold-war parable that rivals anything America offered on the subject.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 111
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 6:23:42 PM   
rawlinson

215. Straw Dogs

Director: Sam Peckinpah
Film

Straw Dogs sees David (Dustin Hoffman) and his young wife, Amy (Susan George), moving to the small Cornish village where she grew up. Hoffman appears to be fleeing the chaos over Vietnam in America. Once in their new home, David buries himself in his work, ignoring Amy and leaving her to rekindle old flirtations. David finds himself taunted by the local builders who are working on his home and his refusal to stand up to them further alienates Amy. Things come to a head when David decides to protect a child-like villager who has accidentally killed a local girl.

Straw Dogs is probably most famous for its brutality, not just the violence of the siege finale, but also for the rape of Amy by two of the workmen. The rape scene, and Amy's reactions, saw the film attacked for what was seen to be as Peckinpah condoning rape, or saying that women enjoy being raped. While there can be said to be some ambiguity around the way the first rape is filmed, the second rape, plus Amy's reactions afterwards clearly show how traumatic an experience it was.

Because despite all of the obviously American influences, it's a British horror right through. It speaks to our fear of the countryside, of those strange, isolated little communities in exactly the same way that The Wicker Man does. It also fits neatly into that cycle of ultra-bleak British horror films that were surfacing in the late 60s/early 70s, from the work of Michael Reeves to The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, Blood on Satan's Claw, even non-horror offerings like Get Carter. All those films exude an atmosphere that tells you that everything is hopeless, pre-dating the punk ethos of 'no future' by 5 - 10 years.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 112
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 7:13:50 PM   
evil bill

quote:

220. Ghost Story

by Peter Straub
Novel

In New York, a group of four elderly men known as The Chowder Society meet regularly to tell each other ghost stories. A fifth member had been found dead recently in mysterious circumstances. Since that death, the remaining members have found themselves suffering from nightmares and their stories begin to take on a more personal flavour, until finally the dark secret of the society is revealed. Straub's love-letter to traditional ghost stories remains my favourite of his novels, despite tough competition from the likes of Shadowland and Koko, and is one of the finest modern attempts to recreate the mood of classic horror.

Yeah this is classic and Straub's best,though i must say Straub/King's joint ventures are worth the read,ijust finished The Dark House.Keep up the great work enjoying it big time,looking forward to seeing where King and Herbert end up on the list,or not it's your list after all.
quote:

Director: Sam Peckinpah
Film

I've argured for years that this is a Horror film,nice to see someone agrees,and excellent short to the point review.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 18/10/2012 9:48:22 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

Oh my goodness.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 114
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 19/10/2012 9:55:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yay! Another one I've seen with Straw Dogs.

Much more better!

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 115
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 19/10/2012 10:03:35 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

quote:

Oh my goodness.

I'll sell it to you if you want... (Yes, I saw that post, but I was on my way to bed at the time )

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 116
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 19/10/2012 11:20:48 AM   
rawlinson

214. The Companion

by Ramsey Campbell
Short Story

A fairly simple plot to this one, a middle-aged man with a love of fun-fairs finds himself taking a ride in a truly horrifying one. Stephen King once called The Companion the best horror story written in the last thirty years (spanning the early 50s to early 80s at that point) Personally I don't think it's even Campbell's best work from that period, but it is an exceptionally eerie little chiller with one of the best last lines in horror.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 117
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 19/10/2012 11:39:05 AM   
rawlinson

213. Murgunstrumm

by Hugh B. Cave
Short Story

Hugh Cave was a bit of a forgotten figure in horror writing by the 1970s. It was only through the magnificent Karl Edward Wagner chancing upon one of his newer stories in a magazine, and then doing some research to discover if it was the same Hugh B. Cave who wrote so many stories for the pulps that the world was able to rediscover his work. Wagner selected his favourites of Cave's stories and published Murgunstrumm and Others in 1977, an anthology that walked away with a World Fantasy award. The title story is one of the most mind-blowing pulpy horror adventures I've ever had the privilege to read. We open with our hero making a daring escape from an insane asylum. During his seven month stay he's been tormented by memories of his girlfriend and of the horrors that took place at The Gray Toad Inn. The Inn is an isolated place that seldom sees customers, but when it does the air rings out with devilish laughter and screaming. Our hero Paul is making his way back there, taking the two psychiatrists who committed him with him, in order to show them the true horrors of the place. A horrifying insane asylum, an isolated inn with dark secrets in its basement, a repulsive toad-like innkeeper, and plenty of... well, wait and see. God, I wish someone had filmed this.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 118
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 19/10/2012 3:20:06 PM   
rawlinson

212. The Red Lodge

by H.R. Wakefield
Short Story

Inspired by a house Wakefield claimed to have visited some years earlier, The Red Lodge is regarded by many both as his greatest story and as one of the greatest haunted house tales of all time. While it's not my personal favourite of his short fiction, I won't argue with the second claim. The narrator and his wife and child rent a house in the country, but their dreams of an idyllic home, complete with a river running past the bottom of their property, soon disappear. They begin to find green slime patches left around the house, spot strange people and creatures on the property, and just why is their little boy so terrified of the river? Wakefield may sometimes have lacked subtlety in his writing, and there are some odd ideas that crop up from time to time, but he knew how to create a chilling horror, especially in the vivid depiction of the "Green Monkey" that haunts the house.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 119
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 21/10/2012 10:39:04 PM   
rawlinson

211. [REC]

Director: Jaume Balaguero
Film

A film crew for a late night television series are recording a show about the night-shift at a fire-station when they travel along on an emergency call to an apartment block. A resident has been infected with a mystery disease and become violent. Soon the disease is affecting more and more of the residents and the survivors are stuck inside, fighting for survival. One of the best of the found-footage sub-genre, the first person camera viewpoint is one of the film's greatest strengths, we're limited to only seeing and knowing what the character does, so we're plunged into the darkness with them. When the attacks come they're just as sudden for the audience as they are for the characters. The film moves along at a snappy pace while also making you care about the characters and creating some genuine scares, with the last few moments are among the most terrifying in modern horror.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI