Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Favourite 250 Horrors

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 13/10/2012 3:10:47 PM   
Deviation

If that's Australian comedy than LOL no. I'd rather stay home and finally watch Wake in Fright.

Oh and Wolf's Creek and The Proposition. Jesus Australia...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 61
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 13/10/2012 3:19:13 PM   
rawlinson

Did you see that documentary a few years ago about Australian exploitation cinema? It was called Not Quite Hollywood.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 62
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 13/10/2012 3:35:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Did you see that documentary a few years ago about Australian exploitation cinema? It was called Not Quite Hollywood.

It pops up on Film 4 occasionally. Good little doc that.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 63
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 13/10/2012 3:40:53 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Nope, but I'll check it out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 64
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 13/10/2012 4:21:05 PM   
MovieAddict247

Long Weekend sounds like something I'd love.

What I've seen of Australian cinema I've seen, I've really enjoyed (especially Strictly Ballroom - that's amazing).

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 65
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 12:47:58 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Nope, but I'll check it out.

Definitely worth a look.

quote:

Long Weekend sounds like something I'd love.

You can pick it up quite cheap on Amazon.

quote:

What I've seen of Australian cinema I've seen, I've really enjoyed (especially Strictly Ballroom - that's amazing).

mmmm...

Yeah...

You might not like Long Weekend, it's not as horrific or as disturbing as Strictly Ballroom.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 66
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 1:05:32 AM   
MonsterCat

Baz Lurhman, that fucking guy. Strictly Douchebag.

Am I the only one who got actually got a splitting headache from watching Moulin Rouge?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 67
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 7:05:30 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

It pops up on Film 4 occasionally. Good little doc that.

Not Quite Hollywood is a great doco. Now that I think about I should probably vote for it in the docos poll.. and probably see a lot of 70's Australian film-making.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 14/10/2012 7:08:40 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 68
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 7:42:30 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

mmmm...

Yeah...

You might not like Long Weekend, it's not as horrific or as disturbing as Strictly Ballroom.

I don't know what I think about Luhrmann. Strictly Ballroom is fantastic, and Romeo + Juliet has some charm, and I love the colours and the distinct style of his films.

Yet I hate Moulin Rouge an awful lot. That's dire.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 9:31:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

How can people not love this?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 70
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 1:13:47 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I love the colours

If there was any talent to his use of colour, I'd agree. But it's like a dog ate a packet of crayons and then vomited this multi-coloured stinking mess onto the wall before turning and looking at you proudly.

I'm not a fan.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 71
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 1:26:35 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Quite easily. This gif perfectly encapsulates how fucking annoying that flick is.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 14/10/2012 1:27:38 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 72
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 1:41:53 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Quite easily. This gif perfectly encapsulates how fucking annoying that flick is.

It just makes me feel sorry for Jim Broadbent. He's so much better than that.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 73
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 2:08:37 PM   
rawlinson

227. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

by Joe R. Lansdale
Short Story

Lansdale may be most familiar to cinema-goers for writing the more comedic Bubba Ho-Tep, but a lot of his short fiction is extremely nasty stuff, and Incident... is no exception. A woman is driving along a lonely mountain road when she crashes into another car, when checking on the other driver, she discovers she isn't the one responsible for his injuries. A disfigured, psychotic murderer has killed the driver, and now he's coming for her. Forced to abandon her car, she flees into the woods along the mountain road, with Moonface hot on her trail. Essentially playing out like a literary equivalent of a slasher film, Incident... adds character development and a great sense of location to what in other hands could have just been a rather mechanical tale of stalker/prey.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 74
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 2:09:02 PM   
Rhubarb

Didn't really expect to read a discussion of Baz in this thread really. But I like him. Australia was a bit rubbish, but hopefully his version of Gatsby (with Sally Sparrow ) will make up for it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 75
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 2:35:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Didn't really expect to read a discussion of Baz in this thread really. But I like him. Australia was a bit rubbish, but hopefully his version of Gatsby (with Sally Sparrow ) will make up for it.

It's not really a discussion, more like abuse.

Despite really liking the novel, Leo and Carey, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to watch The Great Gatsby.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 76
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 7:53:33 PM   
Rhubarb

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 77
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 8:02:50 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It just makes me feel sorry for Jim Broadbent. He's so much better than that.

Jim Broadbent has been in worse films than Moulin Rouge. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace springs to mind.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 78
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 8:54:23 PM   
Rhubarb

The Iron Lady springs to my mind.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 79
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 14/10/2012 10:46:24 PM   
rawlinson

As long as we can all agree that the Blackadder Christmas Carol was his finest work.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 80
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 12:16:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

As long as we can all agree that the Blackadder Christmas Carol was his finest work.

And our survey says...

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 81
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 11:31:33 AM   
rawlinson

226. The Seventh Man

by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
Short Story

In a hut in the Arctic circle, six men find they may have been joined by a mysterious seventh... something, circling outside the hut and trying its hardest to get inside. Reading like a prototype for stories like Who Goes There? The Seventh Man makes good use of its isolated location and of the feverish atmosphere within the hut to create a truly chilling short story.

Post #: 82
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 2:22:31 PM   
rawlinson

225. The Upper Berth

by F. Marion Crawford
Short Story

Opening with the narrative device of an old sailor telling a dinner party about his own experience with the supernatural, The Upper Berth is every bit the traditional ghost story. On one voyage, he found himself with a strange cabin-mate, one who left the upper berth in their room smelling of the sea and who had a deathly effect on anyone who slept in that bed. The collision between the extremely rational narrator and the supernatural events makes the story feel like it would have been an influence on James. While the evocative descriptions of the lingering, rotting traces of the sea and the feeling of despair its presence brings, combined with the creature's tactile nature, make the occupant of the upper berth a rather unique ghost.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 2:42:56 PM   
rawlinson

224. Mad Love

Director: Karl Freund
Film

Karl Freund's last film as a director was this overlooked treasure. Adapted from the book Les Mains d'Orlac, Mad Love marked Lorre's first appearance in a Hollywood film, and it also gave the great man one of his finest roles. Lorre plays a sinister but brilliant surgeon, Dr. Gogol. Gogol has an obsessive fixation on Yvonne Orlac (Frances Drake), an actress in a Grand Guignol-esque horror play. Gogol is so devoted that he has attended every performance of her play and when she announces her retirement he buys the wax statue of her from the theatre lobby and holds conversations with it in his home. Yvonne has retired to live with her classical pianist husband, Stephen (Colin Clive).On the train journey to meet Yvonne, Stephen is involved in his train crash where his hands are damaged beyond repair. Yvonne begs the held of Gogol who replaces Stephen's hands with those of an executed murderer. But the hands have a life of their own.

The main reason to watch Mad Love is obviously Lorre's amazing performance. Despite his brilliance as a surgeon and his charitable work, Gogol is a twisted man. He takes an obvious erotic pleasure in seeing Yvonne tortured in her play and his dark side comes out even further in his attendance of executions. Lorre's leering psychotic is second only to his magnificent performance in M from his illustrious film career, but there is so much else to the film. The rest of the cast are strong, especially Colin Clive as the tortured pianist. The film also has a droll wit that cuts through the onscreen atrocities that makes this a masterpiece not only of horror but of twisted comedy. The presence of Gregg Toland as cinematographer makes the film (obviously) a visual treat.

Mad Love has murderous knife-throwers, guillotine executions, Grand Guignol horror plays, amputations, an overwrought Colin Clive and a lunatic Peter Lorre. What more could you want?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 84
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 3:43:21 PM   
rawlinson

223. Falling Angel

by William Hjortsberg
Novel

Horror and noir often have the potential to crossover. They both occupy the same shadowy back-alleys and both thrive on the notion of corruption, but actual cross-overs between the two genres are quite limited in number. Falling Angel is horror-noir at its finest. In the years after WWII, private detective Harry Angel is hired by a mysterious client, Louis Cyphre, to track down Johnny Favourite, a singer who disappeared during the war. If you've seen Angel Heart then you'll be familiar with the story, while the film was the most successful of Alan Parker's work, thanks to a faithful adaptation by Hjortsberg and some fine performances, it suffers greatly in comparison to the novel, mostly because it was directed by Alan fucking Parker. A highly disturbing story that sees Angel's own mean streets lead him into the world of Voodoo and the occult.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 3:54:48 PM   
rawlinson

222. The Stones of Muncaster Cathedral

Radio Play

Joe, a steeplejack at work on restoration of a local cathedral, finds himself oddly drawn to one of the stone gargoyles. A series of tragic accidents begin to occur around the cathedral, including the death of a young child. When Joe decides to pry into the history of the building, the gargoyle begins to hold an unhealthy influence over Joe's young son. The creator, Robert Westall, isn't the most famous of British horror writers, but he's one of the best, and this adaptation of Muncaster Cathedral is effortlessly creepy.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 15/10/2012 11:46:29 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I am really doing badly here

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 87
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 16/10/2012 12:29:36 AM   
rawlinson

Never mind, you have Bride of Frankenstein to look forward to.

Post #: 88
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 16/10/2012 12:50:36 AM   
paul_ie86

Pm rawls.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 89
RE: Favourite 250 Horrors - 16/10/2012 1:50:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Never mind, you have Bride of Frankenstein to look forward to.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Favourite 250 Horrors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI