Forced 'Comedy'

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Forced 'Comedy' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 3:22:00 AM   
giggity

Having just watched The Expendables 2 I thought it was meh but one of the negatives of the film was all of the supposed 'banter' between all of the characters, mostly stallone and statham. It really seemed like someone looked at the script and said we need to put in 'funny' back and forth's in dialogue because that's what happened in some 80's films and most Shane Black scripts, but I don't know if it's the placing of the jokes which seems to be anywhere they could fit or if it's the lack of chemistry between stallone and statham but it always seems clunky and awkward like they're trying to scream at the audience "hey we're dysfunctional! but we're buddies!" It got really annoying after a while.

So I thought i'd start a thread asking if you've ever seen films with misplaced comedy moments or ones which seemed really forced and unnatural.
Post #: 1
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 11:27:00 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

Pretty much anything that comes out of Ellen Page's mouth seems forced and unnatural.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 9:02:13 PM   
Cool Breeze

I really enjoy the humour in the Expendables films and i dont think its forced at all.The banter between Sly and Staham is a highlight cos the two have a natural buddy chemistry together.

And Sly, Arnie, and Willis together at the climax of EX 2 = one of the best movie moments in history.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 3
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:17:43 PM   
giggity

Really? It just made me cringe, especially all of the references to past stuff like Terry Crews saying to Arnie "If I don't get my gun back you're terminated" or Chuck Norris turning up and telling a Chuck Norris joke, or "I'll Be back" "You've been back enough times, I'll be back" "Yippie Ki-Yay" God that was horrible.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 4
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:20:30 PM   
UTB

Its funny because thats what they say in their movies.

I haven't seen it, though. What does Stallone say? AADDRIIIAAAAAAAAANNNN?

I just can't stop myself...

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 5
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:27:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

That would actually have been funny.

Imagine ,Stallone gunning down the baddies with his trusty Kalashnikov and then spontaneously shouting "AADDRIIIAAAAAAAAANNNN!!" for no other reason than a throwback quote to Rocky-past.Brilliant...............on second thoughts

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:33:58 PM   
Whistler

I thought The Other Guys was full of horribly forced and painfully unfunny jokes. The script stank of someone trying to be much funnier than they were.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 7
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:34:24 PM   
vad3r

EX2 was better than EX because it had more humour and took itself less seriously. If EX3 has more humour and takes itself even less seriously, it'll be better than EX2.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 8
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:37:32 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I thought The Other Guys was full of horribly forced and painfully unfunny jokes. The script stank of someone trying to be much funnier than they were.

One of the funniest films in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4wykeJBHdE

quote:

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:41:43 PM   
giggity

quote:

I think it's either Willis or Stallone who says to Chuck Norris, "Who's next? Rambo?" oh...my sides..they hath split.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:41:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Actually my views on this pretty much sum-up my views on The Simpsons of the past few years.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 11
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:43:09 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

EX2 was better than EX because it had more humour and took itself less seriously. If EX3 has more humour and takes itself even less seriously, it'll be better than EX2.

It was a better film but it still wasn't a good film. Action was pretty bland too but that's going

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 12
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:46:03 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

It was a huge disappointment 'cause it's got a good cast, but it barely made me laugh. Wahlberg's the only good thing in it.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 13
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 10:47:50 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was a huge disappointment 'cause it's got a good cast, but it barely made me laugh. Wahlberg's the only good thing in it.

Well we disagree, because I thought Ferrell, The Rock, Sam Jackson and Coogan were all on good form.

quote:

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 2/10/2012 11:30:07 PM   
MonsterCat

Ah, yes The Other Guys.

Hey, verbally abusing your wife is fucking hysterical, ain't it?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 15
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 7:41:23 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Imagine ,Stallone gunning down the baddies with his trusty Kalashnikov and then spontaneously shouting "AADDRIIIAAAAAAAAANNNN!!" for no other reason than a throwback quote to Rocky-past.Brilliant...............on second thoughts

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

I think it's either Willis or Stallone who says to Chuck Norris, "Who's next? Rambo?" oh...my sides..they hath split.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 16
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 8:24:15 AM   
squeezyrider

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Ah, yes The Other Guys.

You've obviously never seen "In Bruges"

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 17
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 12:12:35 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I still think Hemsworth's charatcer should have been called Adrian.

(this will make sense if you've seen the film)

< Message edited by jcthefirst -- 3/10/2012 4:21:46 PM >

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 18
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 2:33:08 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well we disagree, because I thought Ferrell, The Rock, Sam Jackson and Coogan were all on good form.

Each to his own. To be fair to them they probably couldn't have done much more with the lines they had; I blame the writers more than the actors. Again that's disappointing because McKay wrote Step Brothers and Anchorman, both of which are hilarious.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 19
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 2:53:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Put me in the loving The Other Guys camp as well (although the other side of the camp to vad3r please).

quote:

Ah, yes The Other Guys.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The gag is the fact that Ferrell's rather stunning wife would put up with it (an extension of the running gag about how desirable he is to beautiful women). We're not meant to be laughing at the verbals at all, that isn't the joke.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 3/10/2012 3:00:39 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 20
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 3:25:50 PM   
UTB

I quite enjoyed The Other Guys too. I usually struggle with Farrell's shouting man-child stick but it worked quite well. Keaton as the 'nice' boss was hilarious too, especially breaking up the quiet fight at the funeral

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 21
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 3:33:33 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Put me in the loving The Other Guys camp as well (although the other side of the camp to vad3r please).

quote:

Ah, yes The Other Guys.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The gag is the fact that Ferrell's rather stunning wife would put up with it (an extension of the running gag about how desirable he is to beautiful women). We're not meant to be laughing at the verbals at all, that isn't the joke.

I thought we were friends.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 22
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 9:21:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

Its actually Arnie who says that line when Chuck shows up.It got one of the biggest laughs at the screening i attended.That whole scene is classic! Having all these legends together in such a big action scene was pure joy and was somthing i had been waiting my whole movie going life to see.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 23
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 3/10/2012 11:56:03 PM   
giggity

I think it was just too little too late with putting them on screen together. It didn't have any power to it that it should have had, if they would have done it in the 80's or early 90's then it may have been in a better film. But seeing them stiffly lumber around, making rubbish references just made it seem lifeless. They should have just left it at the church scene in the first expendables, while not amazing, it was a nice gimmick to see them together.

To compare it to another pair of actors and scenes they were in together, Arnie, Sly and Bruce church scene in expendables 1 was Pacino and De Niro cafe scene in Heat (a much inferior version albeit). It showed them together and left the audience wanting more.
The ending of Expendables 2 was De Niro and Pacino in the whole of Righteous Kill, dull, lifeless and nothing like what it should have been had they teamed in their prime.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 24
RE: Forced 'Comedy' - 4/10/2012 1:09:35 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

I think it was just too little too late with putting them on screen together. It didn't have any power to it that it should have had, if they would have done it in the 80's or early 90's then it may have been in a better film. But seeing them stiffly lumber around, making rubbish references just made it seem lifeless. They should have just left it at the church scene in the first expendables, while not amazing, it was a nice gimmick to see them together.

To compare it to another pair of actors and scenes they were in together, Arnie, Sly and Bruce church scene in expendables 1 was Pacino and De Niro cafe scene in Heat (a much inferior version albeit). It showed them together and left the audience wanting more.
The ending of Expendables 2 was De Niro and Pacino in the whole of Righteous Kill, dull, lifeless and nothing like what it should have been had they teamed in their prime.

Completely disagree.These are ACTION heroes.We always wanted to see them in action together.Talking in a church for a minute wasn't good enough.Seeing them all together kicking ass was a joy to behold

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Forced 'Comedy' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI