Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 6/2/2014 2:43:41 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26068034

William Roache found Not Guilty.
Hopefully all the evidence talked about in court will now come out, proving that these women lied on all counts.

I hate the court system, Bill Roache was named and shamed in public, he was suspended from work indefinitely, his reputation dragged through the mud over false allegations. Yet now he's been proven innocent the women's identities are still being kept secret, they should now be named and shamed, why was there such a disregard to Roache's character yet not their's?

In cases like this mud sticks, Bill Roache may have been found innocent but there's still plenty out there who will still throw the rapist/paedo slurs in his direction. Just look at Michael Jackson, found innocent by a jury yet not a day goes by where he isn't called a paedo. Let's also be honest, the way our media works this innocent ruling will receive only a fraction of the attention compared to the original allegations. These women need to be punished and named and shamed for the false and damaging accusations.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 6/2/2014 2:46:36 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 691
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 6/2/2014 2:50:08 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
Just look at Michael Jackson, found innocent by a jury yet not a day goes by where he isn't called a paedo.

Well to be fair he was. A lot of his behaviour (taking kids to bed and giving them jesus juice) was accepted as fact. He just managed to pay off enough people and spin it as being eccentric enough to get away with it.

You'll be telling me OJ is innocent next.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 692
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 6/2/2014 2:59:36 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
Just look at Michael Jackson, found innocent by a jury yet not a day goes by where he isn't called a paedo.

Well to be fair he was. A lot of his behaviour (taking kids to bed and giving them jesus juice) was accepted as fact. He just managed to pay off enough people and spin it as being eccentric enough to get away with it.

You'll be telling me OJ is innocent next.

What you are saying is purely conjecture. Was some of his behaviour unnacceptable? Yes. Was it paedophilic? Arguably not, there wasn't any evidence to state anything of a sexual nature occurred.

But yes, bravo for missing the point.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 6/2/2014 3:09:58 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 693
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 12:25:44 AM   
Brooksy84

It's worth remembering that a not guilty verdict does not directly prove, or even insinuate, that the women were lying, just that there was not enough evidence to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. I'm not trying to claim that he's "got away with it" or anything similar, but you're treading a very dangerous path by assuming that the women are all disgusting liars guilty of purjury who need to be taught a lesson.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 694
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 8:04:10 AM   
UTB

So we need a third verdict? 'Not guilty enough'?

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 695
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 9:14:35 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

It's worth remembering that a not guilty verdict does not directly prove, or even insinuate, that the women were lying, just that there was not enough evidence to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. I'm not trying to claim that he's "got away with it" or anything similar, but you're treading a very dangerous path by assuming that the women are all disgusting liars guilty of purjury who need to be taught a lesson.

Yeah, you're right, you can't just assume now that these women were lying just because he wasn't found guilty.
In the case of William Roache however, it was clear that these women were lying, so despite the fact at 81 he won't want to put himself through it again, these women should face the full wrath of the law.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 696
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 9:49:10 AM   
DancingClown

Did anyone else see Question Time last night with George Galloway and David Starkey? This topic got raised at the start and things got seriously weird and icky.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 697
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 10:53:33 AM   
Chief

Coronation Street Lawyers: 2 Cops: 0

I know who I'll be seeking to hire if I'm ever falsely accused of feeling up the office junior.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 698
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 7/2/2014 4:19:47 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Did anyone else see Question Time last night with George Galloway and David Starkey? This topic got raised at the start and things got seriously weird and icky.

That's one hell of an utter-cunt-off.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 699
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 8/2/2014 4:23:59 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

So we need a third verdict? 'Not guilty enough'?

There's something like that in Scotland - "Not Proven" there's a fair bit of criticism around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_proven

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 700
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 8/2/2014 8:27:29 PM   
UTB

Well.. my first thought was "what the fuck?". Thinking about it, though, I can imagine in instances where the defendant has gotten off on a technicality or something that this might be of use...

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 701
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/2/2014 3:03:30 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Well.. my first thought was "what the fuck?". Thinking about it, though, I can imagine in instances where the defendant has gotten off on a technicality or something that this might be of use...

A "not proven" verdict is still an acquittal, and on receiving one the accused is still set free and any double jeopardy rights will still attach. It merely means that while they aren't actually sure of innocence, they aren't sure enough of guilt to convict. As noted by Scruffybobby, there is a certain amount of controversy about it.

It is mostly about the public perception such a verdict brings. A not proven verdict might stigmatise a completely innocent party in a way a not guilty verdict wouldn't. So in a case like the one we are discussing while they may have cleared their name in the eyes of the law, if the case is declared not proven, there may be some lingering doubt in the eyes of public perception.

There is of course the counter argument that there is no way for a court to state the accused is completely innocent. It has been argued by legal theorists, particularly in America, that a not guilty verdict, where a not proven verdict is available, does just that. It is one of the more interesting debates in jurisprudence.

I suspect what you were going, "What the fuck?" over was the notion that this might be used to invoke double jeopardy. This does not do that. However it doesn't have to.

Double jeopardy was pretty well abolished under English law in 2003 and under Scottish law in 2011. If there is compelling new evidence that could convict a person who was acquitted for a crime, they can be re-charged and re-tried for the same offence. It has (for example) allowed DNA evidence, which was unavailable at the time of the original trial, to be used to convict a person where without it they walked free.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 702
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 21/2/2014 8:03:18 AM   
Brooksy84

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ian-watkins-took-picture-child-3167900

This is pretty disgraceful if correct. With some of the criticism of how certain cases have gone to trial that probably never should have, it's worth considering what the flip side is: a world where a celebrity is considered beyond investigation. Much like the one Saville lived in.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 703
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/3/2014 7:46:10 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ian-watkins-took-picture-child-3167900

This is pretty disgraceful if correct. With some of the criticism of how certain cases have gone to trial that probably never should have, it's worth considering what the flip side is: a world where a celebrity is considered beyond investigation. Much like the one Saville lived in.

I'd say the Watkins and Saville cases are a world away from the more recent other ones we've seen (William Roache and DLT), where the allegations only surfaced 40+ years later.

I do have issues with the decision to pursue a conviction with DLT on 2 charges, when he's been cleared on 10 others, I just see that as unlikely to end with a conviction and just waste more money.

I'm not saying cases shouldn't be pursued generally - just in this individual sitation, it does seem to be verging on a witch hunt now. And all to assuage guilt re Saville.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 704
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 29/4/2014 8:19:34 AM   
MrsFinkelstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27192600

I would imagine there are a fair few sighs of relief at the DPP - finally a conviction from Yewtree!

I must admit to not following the Max Clifford case as I've always thought the man was a twat, but obviously the evidence was a lot stronger than in the Roache/DLT cases.

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 705
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 29/4/2014 9:47:50 PM   
Mister Coe

So, a man who made a living through exploiting the sleazier aspects of life is now a convicted sex case?

Say what now?

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 706
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 30/4/2014 8:53:10 AM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

So, a man who made a living through exploiting the sleazier aspects of life is now a convicted sex case?

PR man to all the sleaze ridden celebs, who will now be PR man to the sleaze ridden PR man?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 707
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/5/2014 8:48:58 AM   
sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27340134

Even if the relationship started when she was 18 as Harris claims it is pretty damning of his character that he would start an affair with the daughter of a close friend.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 708
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 30/6/2014 3:02:22 PM   
emogeek

Rolf has been found guilty....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28094561

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 709
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 30/6/2014 6:36:23 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

Rolf has been found guilty....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28094561

Genuinely gutted about this, always been a fan of Rolf, especially as an artist. He was the last person I'd expect to see in a Yewtree investigation, goes to show how much we really know about the celebrities we see on TV everyday.

Looking at the convictions in the case, and other celebrities charged with similar offences, I do wonder how the courts can get a conviction on what appears to be one person's account of events against another. I'm no legal expert, but surely there'd need to be significant evidence to convict seeing as these were historic allegations with presumably little or no physical evidence.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 710
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 30/6/2014 9:06:37 PM   
sanchia

I believe it begins with proving the person was at the place the allegation is alleged to have occurred at the time it occurred and moves on from there. At the end of the day it is down to who the jury believe more and the fact that in this case all the charges were upheld and it was a unanimous verdict suggests that Rolf Harris' account was not believed. The jury in this case could not be said to have just jumped to a conclusion which many seem to do as 36 hours of deliberation is pretty comprehensive. It is a shame as it is more of my childhood soured by this (as well as people whose lives were damaged by his actions).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 711
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 30/6/2014 9:56:04 PM   
elab49

It's also why, as they've noted with Stuart Hall, and again here, the name being out there has been a key factor - it brings in enough evidence and enough attacks to show a pattern of behaviour, abuse happening over and over again.

Depressingly, one of the reporters on the Beeb suggested that, with the recent successful convictions, there will be several more charges made against recognisable faces.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 712
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 7:57:31 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Depressingly, one of the reporters on the Beeb suggested that, with the recent successful convictions, there will be several more charges made against recognisable faces.

What I find more depressing is the fact I start doubting these people who come forward.
I don't want to say "celebrity witch hunt" because if they are indeed guilty, they can rot in a jail cell, but they need a celebrity abuse amnesty where if you don't come forward by the end of July, they'll ignore anything that happened over 30 years ago.
It almost seems like it gets reported as a victory for the prosecutors and police rather than the victims. It's all rather distasteful.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 713
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 10:13:15 AM   
elab49

I disagree on that - I do think they've been careful to keep the victims to the forefront - much of yesterdays coverage focussed on the NSPCC eg. And on the amnesty too - I shudder to think how these people have had to shape their lives around this hideous secret all these years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 714
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 10:26:07 AM   
sanchia

The thing is that many people have had lives destroyed by these events (although at the same time some of the charges seem to relate to a pinched bottom which in the scale of thing is unpleasant and ill mannered but not a mentally scarring event). Rolf Harris for instance has a string of victims behind him who have suffered bulimia, depression and other mental illness all of which are seen to stem from this point. Instance of modern child abuse being reported has also increased and as such it is showing that people cannot hide from their actions. I agree that the police and prosecution need to be more careful with their prosecutions as in quite a few cases there have been some cases raised which even from a layman point of view are not deserving of prosecution but at the same time there have been some very serious incident raised as well. In many ways it is a good thing that there is nowhere to hide for the perpetrators of serious acts but I tend to think the serious acts are the ones which should be prosecuted and not the type which were one slap on the bottom forty years ago.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 715
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 11:24:43 AM   
elab49

So to ensure they are trying an actual individual abuser as opposed to the attitudes of the 60s/70s as a whole.

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 716
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 1:54:41 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

In many ways it is a good thing that there is nowhere to hide for the perpetrators of serious acts but I tend to think the serious acts are the ones which should be prosecuted and not the type which were one slap on the bottom forty years ago.

That fact that they could get a prosecution on this charge still baffles me. The case in question was 30-40 years ago. Like a previous poster pointed out, some of these convictions seem to be based on the 'where there's smoke...' principle, but that's not enough to get a conviction surely?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 717
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 2:47:06 PM   
elab49

Which convictions do you think are based on that? There haven't been that many.

Possible investigations where court cases didn't go ahead, or cases where the accused was found innocent?

quote:

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 718
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 3:36:31 PM   
sanchia

The ones I was thinking of primarily were the Dave Lee Travis ones where some of the charges appear to have been related to pinched bottoms and he was found not guilty on them (although I understand there are a couple of retrial charges pending). It raises the question of why these are added to the pot when the chance of a conviction is minute to say the least and it takes the focus away from serious allegations. I do not like the man but in many respects the allegations against him appear inflated and unjustified from the evidence presented in his previous trial and does seem more an attack on the attitudes of the day rather than a serious court case.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 719
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 1/7/2014 4:01:58 PM   
elab49

Should have been a 'maybe' at the end of that last sentence in my post - apologies.

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  21 22 23 [24] 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI