Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:13:25 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

His lawyer sounds awful - there's a quote in there about him saying someone who claimed to be abused at 6 had an 'agonising lack of detail'. Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

She also claimed he'd abused her as recently as three years ago though. Perhaps the lawyer's choice of words wasn't great but it may have just been a polite way of saying she was clearly lying (which she was).
I've read quite a lot about the case and I reckon it was pretty clear from the off that the accusations were pure fantasy. While I don't particularly have muchsympathy for the girl at the minute, I reckon it's her idiot mother who should be taking a long hard look at herself.

Equally, though, childhood abuse and blocked memory go hand in hand to the extent it's almost commonplace. Had I read that comment before the verdict it would obviously have been worse - but fighting for your client or not. it's IMO a bit off.

True, but her lack of recollection wasn't the only reason he was found innocent - and lest we forget, we're talking about someone who wasn't abused here (by Le Vell, anyway).
And as Sinatra said, if it was me being wrongly accused of raping a child and I knew for a fact the girl was lying I'm pretty sure I'd want my lawyer to expose the 'agonising lack of detail' in her claims too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 601
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:24:49 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

His lawyer sounds awful - there's a quote in there about him saying someone who claimed to be abused at 6 had an 'agonising lack of detail'. Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

She also claimed he'd abused her as recently as three years ago though. Perhaps the lawyer's choice of words wasn't great but it may have just been a polite way of saying she was clearly lying (which she was).
I've read quite a lot about the case and I reckon it was pretty clear from the off that the accusations were pure fantasy. While I don't particularly have muchsympathy for the girl at the minute, I reckon it's her idiot mother who should be taking a long hard look at herself.

Equally, though, childhood abuse and blocked memory go hand in hand to the extent it's almost commonplace. Had I read that comment before the verdict it would obviously have been worse - but fighting for your client or not. it's IMO a bit off.

True, but her lack of recollection wasn't the only reason he was found innocent - and lest we forget, we're talking about someone who wasn't abused here (by Le Vell, anyway).
And as Sinatra said, if it was me being wrongly accused of raping a child and I knew for a fact the girl was lying I'm pretty sure I'd want my lawyer to expose the 'agonising lack of detail' in her claims too.

Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

My initial query. Because this seems to be symptomatic of the approach used by defence lawyers against people the court do decide are telling the truth as well. We know this because it's one of the key concerns with the way rape victims are treated in court, and considered to be one of reasons it's difficult to even get the cases to court.

I know they need to defend their clients to the best of their ability, but sometimes the tone and strategy they use takes my breath away.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/9/2013 12:49:03 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 602
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 12:38:19 PM   
Chief

quote:

I know they need to defend their clients to the best of their ability, but sometimes the tone and strategy they use takes my breath away.

I imagine having to defend some monster that's 100% guilty of a heinous crime and you know it, you'd develop some sort of emotional detachment mechanism.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 603
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 2:14:36 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

My initial query. Because this seems to be symptomatic of the approach used by defence lawyers against people the court do decide are telling the truth as well. We know this because it's one of the key concerns with the way rape victims are treated in court, and considered to be one of reasons it's difficult to even get the cases to court.

Well, I don't profess to know much about the law but isn't this just what they do? The prosecuter's tone and strategy in accusing Le Vell of being a paedophile was pretty brutal too.
In answer to your initial query - I'd hazard a guess that yes, he probably would.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 12/9/2013 2:15:11 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 604
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 2:47:21 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

I imagine having to defend some monster that's 100% guilty of a heinous crime and you know it, you'd develop some sort of emotional detachment mechanism.

I used to work in a solicitors office a few years back, and one of the solicitors told me about one of his first murder cases where his client was the accused.

He was found innocent, and as they left the courtroom and said all the congratulatory messages to each other etc, my colleague jokingly asked the guy "So, did you do it?"

A nod of the head, a sly grin, and he disappears into the crowd. My colleague made a mental note never to ask that question again.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 605
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:11:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

I used to work in a solicitors office a few years back, and one of the solicitors told me about one of his first murder cases where his client was the accused.

He was found innocent, and as they left the courtroom and said all the congratulatory messages to each other etc, my colleague jokingly asked the guy "So, did you do it?"

A nod of the head, a sly grin, and he disappears into the crowd. My colleague made a mental note never to ask that question again.

That's just reminded me of the ending to the classic Porridge episode Pardon Me.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 606
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:37:17 PM   
elab49

O/T definitely on the short list of best bits of Porridge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 607
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:40:40 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

That sort of thing chills my blood.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 608
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:42:09 PM   
horribleives

quote:

After making that post I realised I had nothing much to do for the next couple of hours so I've dug out the DVD.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 609
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:45:19 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

After making that post I realised I had nothing much to do for the next couple of hours so I've dug out the DVD.

The constant repeats on the satellite channels ensure it's rare for a week to go by without me seeing at least 2-3 episodes.

quote:

Post #: 610
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:27:37 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Creepy...

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 611
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:31:53 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

The prosecuter's tone and strategy in accusing Le Vell of being a paedophile was pretty brutal too.

Exactly...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 612
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:33:42 PM   
Sinatra

Regarding the whole anonymity side of things.... that's a tough one, because as we saw with Stuart Hall, the publicity can flush out other victims...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 613
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 9:10:06 PM   
Mister Coe

So, to sum all it up... 'no evidence' does not mean 'not guilty'...

I truly hope that the case of the Coronation Street bloke is not one of these...

Say what now?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 614
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:41:24 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Regarding the whole anonymity side of things.... that's a tough one, because as we saw with Stuart Hall, the publicity can flush out other victims...

Yeah, I was reading the Manchester Evening News at lunch and they had two solicitor give opposing opinions on anonymity and the Hall case has put me on the side of non-anonymity. The "against" solicitor had represented many of Hall's victims and most of them thought it was just them it happened to.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 615
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 10:21:53 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I truly hope that the case of the Coronation Street bloke is not one of these...

He is not guilty.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 616
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 11:46:20 AM   
horribleives

quote:

I think it's blatantly obvious he's not guilty. You should read up on the case, in particular the decision made by the CPS to re-investigate the claims after the Savile scandal broke, despite being originally dismissed due to a complete lack of evidence, and also the character and reliability of not only the girl but her mother who was instrumental in pursuing the accusations and clearly something of a fantasist herself (unless her house really was haunted and all the exorcisms and blessings had no negative impact on her young daughter whatsoever...)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 617
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 12:09:16 PM   
MonsterCat

If I was this LeVell guy, I would be seriously considering dragging the idiot mother into a libel case. I would be furious with her.

This is something that's going to stick with him despite the fact that he didn't do the things of which he was accused.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 618
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 5:48:33 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

If I was this LeVell guy, I would be seriously considering dragging the idiot mother into a libel case. I would be furious with her.

This is something that's going to stick with him despite the fact that he didn't do the things of which he was accused.

I would imagine he just wants to move and rather than spend more time in court. There is also the problem that there are differing laws relating to libel which could result in a different result which could be more damaging than cathartic.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 619
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 9:14:32 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

I think it's blatantly obvious he's not guilty. You should read up on the case, in particular the decision made by the CPS to re-investigate the claims after the Savile scandal broke, despite being originally dismissed due to a complete lack of evidence, and also the character and reliability of not only the girl but her mother who was instrumental in pursuing the accusations and clearly something of a fantasist herself (unless her house really was haunted and all the exorcisms and blessings had no negative impact on her young daughter whatsoever...)

Woah, guys...

I wasn't saying that Mr Le Vell was guilty.  And I HAVE read up on the case...

I do believe that the whole thing is a total joke of a case... it looks like he's gonna get his job back and good luck to him.  I mean that sincerely.

I was just saying that just because there is no physical evidence, it doesn't mean that some awful shit didn't happen.  That's all.

Say what now?

Post #: 620
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 14/9/2013 10:42:07 AM   
jonson

While he's been found not guilty, and I don't believe for a minute he isn't, if I were him I'd want to just disappear for a few months and take stock.
Sure, he's got legal bills to pay, but all this talk of him jetting out to be in a reality show kind of pisses me off a bit.
I'm not a fan of celebrity shows anyway, but his family and friends - as well as him - have gone through hell in the last few years, it can't bear thinking about, but it all then seems bit false to be almost using his recent notoriety to make a quick buck off the back of it.
I suppose you can either run away and feel sorry for yourself or you deal with it head on.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 621
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 9:14:49 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

While he's been found not guilty, and I don't believe for a minute he isn't, if I were him I'd want to just disappear for a few months and take stock.
Sure, he's got legal bills to pay, but all this talk of him jetting out to be in a reality show kind of pisses me off a bit.
I'm not a fan of celebrity shows anyway, but his family and friends - as well as him - have gone through hell in the last few years, it can't bear thinking about, but it all then seems bit false to be almost using his recent notoriety to make a quick buck off the back of it.
I suppose you can either run away and feel sorry for yourself or you deal with it head on.

I disagree there fella, I'm a Celebrity doesn't kick off until November, and I have read he is planning on visiting his brother in Australia and chilling out within the next couple of weeks. This guy has got legal bills to pay, and a decent 6 figure pay-day for 2 weeks in the jungle must seem hard to turn down! Good luck to him.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 622
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 9:15:55 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

I was just saying that just because there is no physical evidence, it doesn't mean that some awful shit didn't happen. That's all.

Maybe it did, but it wasn't by him. At the end of the day the jury didn't believe what the girl was saying.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 623
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 9:35:15 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I disagree there fella, I'm a Celebrity doesn't kick off until November, and I have read he is planning on visiting his brother in Australia and chilling out within the next couple of weeks. This guy has got legal bills to pay, and a decent 6 figure pay-day for 2 weeks in the jungle must seem hard to turn down! Good luck to him.

It's probably because I despise the programme with a passion, and all who go on it, and the people who watch it
My mistake though, the way they were talking it was as if he was literally jumping on the first plane. It just seemed in bad taste, as if he was acting on his recent climb up the celebrity ladder (i.e. being splashed on the front page of the papers) You'd think he'd want to lead a bit of a quiet life for a few months, give his family some breathing space, but no, he'll play the doe-eyed innocent victim as advised by his agent until Bill Roach gets let off in January and it's his turn.
But again, it's more to do with my hatred of this kind of crap.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 624
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 11:55:53 AM   
Sinatra

Surely you must love Ant & Dec though? They are the best thing on that show. They spend all their time ripping the piss out of the muppets taking part!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 625
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 11:59:59 AM   
jonson

quote:

Surely you must love Ant & Dec though? They are the best thing on that show. They spend all their time ripping the piss out of the muppets taking part!

I do like Ant and Dec, they have fantastic chemistry, but the whole programme annoys me. I look down my nose awfully at people who watch it, I'm a right snob when it comes to what I call scumbag telly. So there. Get back to your scumbag telly.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 626
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 12:41:26 PM   
Sinatra

Grumpy old sod...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 627
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 1:06:59 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm beginning to think we should try and petition to get Jonson on it

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 628
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 1:31:55 PM   
great_badir

I would pay to see jonson eating balls and assholes.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 629
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 16/9/2013 1:37:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I would pay to see jonson eating balls and assholes.

You only need to watch him eating one of Leicester City's pies to do that...

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI