Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 29/8/2013 9:33:28 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Well, innocent until proven guilty guys.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 571
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 3/9/2013 10:47:14 AM   
Chief

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 572
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 5:34:28 PM   
sanchia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-24032449

Michael Le Vell found not guilty.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 573
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 5:38:03 PM   
elab49

His lawyer sounds awful - there's a quote in there about him saying someone who claimed to be abused at 6 had an 'agonising lack of detail'. Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 574
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 5:40:40 PM   
jonson

Well let's have the accusers mug on the front page of every newspaper for a few days then. What a fucking bitch.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 575
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 7:03:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

His lawyer sounds awful - there's a quote in there about him saying someone who claimed to be abused at 6 had an 'agonising lack of detail'. Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

She also claimed he'd abused her as recently as three years ago though. Perhaps the lawyer's choice of words wasn't great but it may have just been a polite way of saying she was clearly lying (which she was).
I've read quite a lot about the case and I reckon it was pretty clear from the off that the accusations were pure fantasy. While I don't particularly have muchsympathy for the girl at the minute, I reckon it's her idiot mother who should be taking a long hard look at herself.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 576
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 8:23:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

She also claimed he'd abused her as recently as three years ago though. Perhaps the lawyer's choice of words wasn't great but it may have just been a polite way of saying she was clearly lying (which she was).
I've read quite a lot about the case and I reckon it was pretty clear from the off that the accusations were pure fantasy. While I don't particularly have muchsympathy for the girl at the minute, I reckon it's her idiot mother who should be taking a long hard look at herself.

Equally, though, childhood abuse and blocked memory go hand in hand to the extent it's almost commonplace. Had I read that comment before the verdict it would obviously have been worse - but fighting for your client or not. it's IMO a bit off.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 577
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 10/9/2013 10:00:57 PM   
Mister Coe

I have no idea if the Coronation Street bloke did what he was accused of... if he did that awful shit, then he belongs in a deep dark cell... but if there is no solid proof, could any rational jury convict him?

I hear that the young girl behind the curtain was crying her eyes out a lot of the time... it must have been awful for the jury to hear.  But a court trial has to go by solid facts... and there were none in this case.  And if you're putting someone on trial who puts on a performance for a living, how can you judge him against someone else who may or may not be putting on a performance?  Are we going to put some acting coaches on the stand to judge who is more realistic?

I truly hope that Mr Le Vell is innocent.  And, if not, that the 'victim', if thats what she is, makes a decent life for herself.

What a grubby, awful case.  I'd have hated to be on that jury. 

Say what now?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 578
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 11/9/2013 1:23:00 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

but fighting for your client or not. it's IMO a bit off.

No it's not... I would tell my brief to use everything in his arsenal to prove what a lying little cow she is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 579
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 11/9/2013 1:25:02 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I truly hope that Mr Le Vell is innocent. 

He is innocent, he's the victim here... and her identity is to remain secret forever.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 580
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:13:25 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Equally, though, childhood abuse and blocked memory go hand in hand to the extent it's almost commonplace. Had I read that comment before the verdict it would obviously have been worse - but fighting for your client or not. it's IMO a bit off.

True, but her lack of recollection wasn't the only reason he was found innocent - and lest we forget, we're talking about someone who wasn't abused here (by Le Vell, anyway).
And as Sinatra said, if it was me being wrongly accused of raping a child and I knew for a fact the girl was lying I'm pretty sure I'd want my lawyer to expose the 'agonising lack of detail' in her claims too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 581
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:24:49 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, but her lack of recollection wasn't the only reason he was found innocent - and lest we forget, we're talking about someone who wasn't abused here (by Le Vell, anyway).
And as Sinatra said, if it was me being wrongly accused of raping a child and I knew for a fact the girl was lying I'm pretty sure I'd want my lawyer to expose the 'agonising lack of detail' in her claims too.

Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

My initial query. Because this seems to be symptomatic of the approach used by defence lawyers against people the court do decide are telling the truth as well. We know this because it's one of the key concerns with the way rape victims are treated in court, and considered to be one of reasons it's difficult to even get the cases to court.

I know they need to defend their clients to the best of their ability, but sometimes the tone and strategy they use takes my breath away.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/9/2013 12:49:03 PM >

quote:

Post #: 582
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 12:38:19 PM   
Chief

quote:

I know they need to defend their clients to the best of their ability, but sometimes the tone and strategy they use takes my breath away.

I imagine having to defend some monster that's 100% guilty of a heinous crime and you know it, you'd develop some sort of emotional detachment mechanism.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 583
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 2:14:36 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Could you imagine him using that against someone a court felt had been abused?

My initial query. Because this seems to be symptomatic of the approach used by defence lawyers against people the court do decide are telling the truth as well. We know this because it's one of the key concerns with the way rape victims are treated in court, and considered to be one of reasons it's difficult to even get the cases to court.

Well, I don't profess to know much about the law but isn't this just what they do? The prosecuter's tone and strategy in accusing Le Vell of being a paedophile was pretty brutal too.
In answer to your initial query - I'd hazard a guess that yes, he probably would.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 12/9/2013 2:15:11 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 584
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 2:47:21 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

I imagine having to defend some monster that's 100% guilty of a heinous crime and you know it, you'd develop some sort of emotional detachment mechanism.

I used to work in a solicitors office a few years back, and one of the solicitors told me about one of his first murder cases where his client was the accused.

He was found innocent, and as they left the courtroom and said all the congratulatory messages to each other etc, my colleague jokingly asked the guy "So, did you do it?"

A nod of the head, a sly grin, and he disappears into the crowd. My colleague made a mental note never to ask that question again.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 585
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:11:15 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

I used to work in a solicitors office a few years back, and one of the solicitors told me about one of his first murder cases where his client was the accused.

He was found innocent, and as they left the courtroom and said all the congratulatory messages to each other etc, my colleague jokingly asked the guy "So, did you do it?"

A nod of the head, a sly grin, and he disappears into the crowd. My colleague made a mental note never to ask that question again.

That's just reminded me of the ending to the classic Porridge episode Pardon Me.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 586
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:37:17 PM   
elab49

O/T definitely on the short list of best bits of Porridge

quote:

Post #: 587
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:40:40 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

That sort of thing chills my blood.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 588
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:42:09 PM   
horribleives

quote:

After making that post I realised I had nothing much to do for the next couple of hours so I've dug out the DVD.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 589
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 3:45:19 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

After making that post I realised I had nothing much to do for the next couple of hours so I've dug out the DVD.

The constant repeats on the satellite channels ensure it's rare for a week to go by without me seeing at least 2-3 episodes.

quote:

Post #: 590
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:27:37 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Creepy...

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 591
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:31:53 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

The prosecuter's tone and strategy in accusing Le Vell of being a paedophile was pretty brutal too.

Exactly...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 592
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 4:33:42 PM   
Sinatra

Regarding the whole anonymity side of things.... that's a tough one, because as we saw with Stuart Hall, the publicity can flush out other victims...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 593
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 9:10:06 PM   
Mister Coe

So, to sum all it up... 'no evidence' does not mean 'not guilty'...

I truly hope that the case of the Coronation Street bloke is not one of these...

Say what now?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 594
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 12/9/2013 11:41:24 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Regarding the whole anonymity side of things.... that's a tough one, because as we saw with Stuart Hall, the publicity can flush out other victims...

Yeah, I was reading the Manchester Evening News at lunch and they had two solicitor give opposing opinions on anonymity and the Hall case has put me on the side of non-anonymity. The "against" solicitor had represented many of Hall's victims and most of them thought it was just them it happened to.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 595
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 10:21:53 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I truly hope that the case of the Coronation Street bloke is not one of these...

He is not guilty.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 596
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 11:46:20 AM   
horribleives

quote:

I think it's blatantly obvious he's not guilty. You should read up on the case, in particular the decision made by the CPS to re-investigate the claims after the Savile scandal broke, despite being originally dismissed due to a complete lack of evidence, and also the character and reliability of not only the girl but her mother who was instrumental in pursuing the accusations and clearly something of a fantasist herself (unless her house really was haunted and all the exorcisms and blessings had no negative impact on her young daughter whatsoever...)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 597
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 12:09:16 PM   
MonsterCat

If I was this LeVell guy, I would be seriously considering dragging the idiot mother into a libel case. I would be furious with her.

This is something that's going to stick with him despite the fact that he didn't do the things of which he was accused.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 598
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 5:48:33 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

If I was this LeVell guy, I would be seriously considering dragging the idiot mother into a libel case. I would be furious with her.

This is something that's going to stick with him despite the fact that he didn't do the things of which he was accused.

I would imagine he just wants to move and rather than spend more time in court. There is also the problem that there are differing laws relating to libel which could result in a different result which could be more damaging than cathartic.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 599
RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville - 13/9/2013 9:14:32 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

I think it's blatantly obvious he's not guilty. You should read up on the case, in particular the decision made by the CPS to re-investigate the claims after the Savile scandal broke, despite being originally dismissed due to a complete lack of evidence, and also the character and reliability of not only the girl but her mother who was instrumental in pursuing the accusations and clearly something of a fantasist herself (unless her house really was haunted and all the exorcisms and blessings had no negative impact on her young daughter whatsoever...)

Woah, guys...

I wasn't saying that Mr Le Vell was guilty.  And I HAVE read up on the case...

I do believe that the whole thing is a total joke of a case... it looks like he's gonna get his job back and good luck to him.  I mean that sincerely.

I was just saying that just because there is no physical evidence, it doesn't mean that some awful shit didn't happen.  That's all.

Say what now?

Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Allegations of Jimmy Saville Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI